Wii U General Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
6647 replies to this topic

#2341 MoCiWe

MoCiWe

Space Smuggler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

Wow, I am really excited for this system after this video personally....I think I wanted basically everything they showed off...Nintendos gonna be taking a lot of my money this year.

659629.png?68329996

#2342 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

Mother 2 Resurrection Festival

I FUCKING RAGED HARD

GOD
FUCKING
DAMMIT

kasllkjdlksajdlksajdlksajsdalksdlkjsalksajdsa

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#2343 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

A little over an hour to go.

All signs point to the Virtual Console getting more details during this. Let's hope that talk I heard of Nintendo allowing people to upgrade Wii VC games (probably for a price) is true.

NES game upgrade cost: $1
SNES game upgrade cost: $1.50

Dang I have good intel. I have to wonder why they're bringing GBA games to Wii U and not 3DS. Also, not GC games on VC.

Visually amazed at Yoshi. Then they showed Wind Waker. THEN they showed Monolith's game. Not fair goddamnit, not fair.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#2344 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

Upgrade cost? no thanks. I feel that with each impending announcement from Nintendo, I can wait even longer to pick up the Wii U. <insert rant about Nintendo's utter cluelessness regarding online anything here, I guess.>

Given the number of Wii games I can pick up on the cheeeeap now, I'm even more cool with lagging behind a generation. Besides, I have Wind Waker on disc, so while I can understand the excitement of that particular announcement, it doesn't clinch buying the system for me.
Posted Image

#2345 moothemagiccow

moothemagiccow

Tall buildings shake

• Silenced

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

NES game upgrade cost: $1
SNES game upgrade cost: $1.50

Dang I have good intel. I have to wonder why they're bringing GBA games to Wii U and not 3DS. Also, not GC games on VC.

Visually amazed at Yoshi. Then they showed Wind Waker. THEN they showed Monolith's game. Not fair goddamnit, not fair.

He mentioned needing a separate announcement for 3DS. There were rumors of it getting miiverse. GBA games were on ambassador badge so they might make an appearance. Fingers crossed I suppose.

#2346 HydroX

HydroX

Quintessential Studmuffin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

Upgrade cost? no thanks. I feel that with each impending announcement from Nintendo, I can wait even longer to pick up the Wii U. <insert rant about Nintendo's utter cluelessness regarding online anything here, I guess.>

Given the number of Wii games I can pick up on the cheeeeap now, I'm even more cool with lagging behind a generation. Besides, I have Wind Waker on disc, so while I can understand the excitement of that particular announcement, it doesn't clinch buying the system for me.

My thoughts exactly. I really am kicking myself for being an early adopter of the Wii U.
MLIFTgM.gif

#2347 ShockandAww

ShockandAww

Truth is treason

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

Wow at all the Nintendo announcements this morning. I'm not really a fan at all but I may end up getting a Wii U after all with a price drop. Good stuff.

#2348 dragonjud

dragonjud

Got games, but no time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

A decent set of announcements.

I laugh at their 'upgrade' price offer though. Really? You want me to pay again for the same game just because you Fuck up and didn't plan for the future in your online shop plans? I don't care if it's a penny...it's simply taking a dump on your supporters again.

#2349 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

You don't have to upgrade. You can still do Wii mode. Not sure why everyone is missing that.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#2350 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

I think its because Wii U virtual console will let you play the games on the pad?

I dunno, Nintendo announces a lot of really good games and people bitch, lol.

#2351 dragonjud

dragonjud

Got games, but no time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

Hmm, I guess you're right about always being able to just play in Wii mode.

As for people being excited, I knew Mario Kart, Zelda, etc. were all coming at some point (this year or next.) So, I'll hold my excitement for their release date.

As for the Windwaker remake, I played the heck out of that game on the Gamecube. And I'm not sure I'd ever play it again without some other changes. I hope they are not purists about that, as I will not touch it if they don't make the ocean parts quicker to navigate earlier in the game.

#2352 Action!

Action!

King Koopa.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

I've always known I was gonna get a Wii U at some point. This announcement has me way more excited for that day. New Xeno title has me stooooked.

I draw sometimes.  UPDATED: 6/28/14   Child of Light       |      Trade List

Hey, I'm selling prints now. http://society6.com/...nKazimer/prints

The game that I animate for is now in early access! Try out Lichdom: Battlemage!

#2353 paddlefoot

paddlefoot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

That Nintendo Direct delivered. It builds slowly with announcements of improvements to issues voiced by the Wii U install base and ends with insane software announcements normally reserved for E3.

#2354 rocky435

rocky435

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

Downloaded ballon fight for .32 cents :applause:. Works and plays amazing on the gamepad and I have not even played it on Tv yet. Can not wait for super mario world or super metroid.

I'm wondering how much neo-geo and N64 and the others will cost to upgrade?? 2 bucks for N64!??. I dunno at least nintendo gave an option to not have them stuck in wii mode for all time.

And yes mother 2 revival and wind waker HD is simply amazing. :applause:
At least I know where 60 bucks or 50 bucks is going this fall.

#2355 MoCiWe

MoCiWe

Space Smuggler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

Downloaded ballon fight for .32 cents :applause:. Works and plays amazing on the gamepad and I have not even played it on Tv yet. Can not wait for super mario world or super metroid.

I'm wondering how much neo-geo and N64 and the others will cost to upgrade?? 2 bucks for N64!??. I dunno at least nintendo gave an option to not have them stuck in wii mode for all time.

And yes mother 2 revival and wind waker HD is simply amazing. :applause:
At least I know where 60 bucks or 50 bucks is going this fall.

Just got me Balloon Fight as well, will be picking up every one of the games that they put out at that price, this is a great promotion IMO.

659629.png?68329996

#2356 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

Where are you guys downloading balloon fight at?

#2357 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

You don't have to upgrade. You can still do Wii mode. Not sure why everyone is missing that.

It's not outrage worthy, it's just disappointing. If I were even to decide to "upgrade" these games based on what Wii VC titles I own, I'd probably be out <$10. For me personally, then, sure, NBD.

It's a matter of trying to create incentives to migrate to a new system, I suppose. Getting a foot in the door. PS Vita's software offerings are extremely sparse, so allowing me to copy any PSOne or PSP games I own digitally* at no charge to play them helps "expand" what the system can do.

(* that is, assuming they're PS Vita compatible, which is a whole other can o' worms.)

I want Nintendo to say "hey, dude, Wii U's great, it can do all this cool stuff. Come on in, the water's fine." And they are, but there are *just enough* short-sighted steps that I find off-putting. The $10 isn't a big deal to me, so perhaps it shouldn't be for Nintendo. There are more incentives to buy a Wii U as of this morning, sure - but they come packaged with disappointing catches. I'd love to see cross-platform-purchases from Wii->Wii U->3DS. I'm extremely reluctant to make digital purchases on those systems because they aren't there.

I'll surely buy a Wii U. But steps like this make me willing to wait longer, that's all; company announcements should turn me into Veruca Salt: I WANT IT NOOOOOOWWWWWWW! Right?

Besides,I just dropped <$5 on Madworld and Nights Into Dreams for Wii. I'm happy spending my money on games for the Wii right now. There are tons of solid games, super cheap, that are widely available for the system. That's where you'll find me, since I'm not seeing anything that makes me ready to upgrade systems immediately.
Posted Image

#2358 dothog

dothog

n ur race snakin mai kart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

It's not outrage worthy, it's just disappointing....I want Nintendo to say "hey, dude, Wii U's great, it can do all this cool stuff. Come on in, the water's fine." And they are, but there are *just enough* short-sighted steps that I find off-putting.

Short-sightedness and disappointment sum up the VC experience from the start. I would have been very surprised had N not charged a "convenience fee."
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2359 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

Short-sightedness and disappointment sum up the VC experience from the start.

perfectly fair point.
Posted Image

#2360 MoCiWe

MoCiWe

Space Smuggler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

Where are you guys downloading balloon fight at?

In the eShop I had to manually search for Balloon in the little search box in the top right corner to find it.

659629.png?68329996

#2361 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

thanks, just got it.

#2362 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

Wait, did they announce a price drop? I presume not. Hopefully by Xmas there will be a price drop. That's likely when I'll be buying. Either way I think getting one by then is in the cards. There will be lots of good games for the system by then. I guess I'll miss out on the cheap VC games, but I'll live.

#2363 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

Nintendo is not going to do a price drop 3 months after release, lol.

#2364 Erad30

Erad30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

August cannot get here fast enough.

Blog is on hiatus but check out both Screensnark & Gamesided for my latest writings!

Gamertag/PSN: Eradicator31

Wii U: Eradicator30

#2365 drktrpr1

drktrpr1

Total GearsHead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

If you bought original VC games on the Wii, but are not happy about the transfer cost from Wii to WiiU, you already paid a fee to re-buy a game from an older Nintendo platform once, why are you complaining about having to do it one more time, for MUCH CHEAPER? Nintendo's not forcing you to upgrade to the WiiU, you can always play the games in Wii mode.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2366 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

Because they feel they shouldn't have to pay in the first place. There's also the distinct possibility that Nintendo will try this with each and every console going forward. Other companies like Apple and Sony don't have you pay transfer fees like this. Even though Microsoft just flat out dropped XBLA games from Xbox > 360. But that was more of an overall change of service than anything else, which, I guess, is closer to this than anything.

We also don't know the upgrade prices of TG16, Commodore 64, VC Arcade, Genesis and Nintendo 64 games, assuming they're going to be on Wii U as well. I have a funny feeling that TG16 games won't though, but that's more of an issue with Hudson being bought out by Konami than Nintendo being Nintendo.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#2367 AFRO insomniac

AFRO insomniac

Pikmin 3 - Challenge Mode is DOPE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

Windwaker HD...

HD Monolith Soft title...

SMT x FE...

Hell yeah Nintendo!

You are making it easier to justify buying one later this year.

Although it really blows that we have to repurchase our virtual console games to play them on the Wii U gamepad. My concern is not necessarily the price/upgrade cost but the idea that we will have to repurchase the same virtual console games each system generation just to use them on a current system (for the Wii U it's the gamepad feature).

Wii, 3DS, and now Wii U (gamepad).

Compare that to PSN: PSP, PS3, Vita (all compatible with a single digital purchase).

Playing

Spoiler
2014 2013

#2368 moothemagiccow

moothemagiccow

Tall buildings shake

• Silenced

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

Hmm, I guess you're right about always being able to just play in Wii mode.

That's totally fair, but Wii mode sucks. Gamecube mode on Wii was way better. I wish I hadn't transferred over and just used my Wii for Wii stuff.

#2369 drktrpr1

drktrpr1

Total GearsHead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

Because they feel they shouldn't have to pay in the first place. There's also the distinct possibility that Nintendo will try this with each and every console going forward. Other companies like Apple and Sony don't have you pay transfer fees like this. Even though Microsoft just flat out dropped XBLA games from Xbox > 360. But that was more of an overall change of service than anything else, which, I guess, is closer to this than anything.

I guess I get that argument, but the way I see it is this: you bought Resident Evil 4 on the gamecube, but you have THE OPTION to buy the RE4 Wii version with improved functionality for a relatively decent price. You can also keep your Gamecube around to play the original RE4 without paying for a new copy. Similar deal with Wii to WiiU VC games.

Admittedly, they are really just adding gamepad and MiiVerse support, but then again, if you already bought the game, the most you're paying to transfer is $1.50 a pop. Worth it for me for SOME of the games, not so much for others. I have no problem with this.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2370 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

Nintendo's not forcing you to upgrade to the WiiU

I think this is where you misunderstand. I'm well aware of what they're not forcing me to do, or, rather, that they're not forcing me to do anything. I'm a consumer, my dollar can go where I want it to.

As a business, they should be doing things to *encourage* me to upgrade to the Wii U. This surcharge is a disincentive. The opposite of what they should be doing.

So, correct, they're not forcing me to do anything. I agree. But that's not what I want them to do - I want them to encourage me, not discourage me.
Posted Image