Wii U General Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
6279 replies to this topic

#2371 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:47 PM

No universal account = no buy on digital stuff at least, until this is fixed, if its never fixed then its no buy on digital Nintendo stuff period. Console will have to get a massive price drop for me to even consider it. I am not interested in remakes, especially remakes that I already own. The upgrade cost is ridiculous, they could have upgraded everyone, or at least early adopters for free. Too much cheap Wii stuff out there right now as well, being a generation behind with Nintendo is the way to go. Unless you can get a newer system for cheap ($99 3DS from Sears for example) or win one in a contest without having to pay for it.

It would be nice if the Miiverse came to 3DS before it comes to smartphones but either is fine with me.

#2372 dothog

dothog

n ur race snakin mai kart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

I think this is where you misunderstand. I'm well aware of what they're not forcing me to do, or, rather, that they're not forcing me to do anything. I'm a consumer, my dollar can go where I want it to.

As a business, they should be doing things to *encourage* me to upgrade to the Wii U. This surcharge is a disincentive. The opposite of what they should be doing.

So, correct, they're not forcing me to do anything. I agree. But that's not what I want them to do - I want them to encourage me, not discourage me.

And not only that, in doing this, they're selectively discouraging a demographic that is otherwise likely to be more interested in WIIU VC activity (and perhaps other WIIU-related purchases) than someone who is new to Nintendo and/or WIIU. Which is to say that I would imagine that there is a correlation between VC title-ownership and brand loyalty.

Those are exactly the customers N should be encouraging with the "little things" like VC transfers. Reward those mofos! Of all customers, don't nickel-and-dime those people, because all it's going to is lead to another install base drop from console/handheld generation to generation.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2373 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

I could care less about the VC stuff. If you have to have a Wii U enhanced version of Super Metroid, then the $1 could be worth it. If it's for lesser games like Galaga or one of many versions of SF2, that $1 is pointless.

Braving the pillow gauntlet.

Posted Image

#2374 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

How shiny are your balls?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:11 PM

The Virtual Console thing could've made more sense if I could just download the games I already bought as is to my Wii U for free and pay the buck or so if I want the extra features. Having to do the transfer just to get access to the discount makes that more of a hassle than I may be willing to take.

Even then, legacy PSP content for Vita received extra features (control enhancements, mostly) for free.

#2375 renique46

renique46

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

And not only that, in doing this, they're selectively discouraging a demographic that is otherwise likely to be more interested in WIIU VC activity (and perhaps other WIIU-related purchases) than someone who is new to Nintendo and/or WIIU. Which is to say that I would imagine that there is a correlation between VC title-ownership and brand loyalty.

Those are exactly the customers N should be encouraging with the "little things" like VC transfers. Reward those mofos! Of all customers, don't nickel-and-dime those people, because all it's going to is lead to another install base drop from console/handheld generation to generation.

This is Nintendo we're talking about here.

#2376 io

io

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:01 PM

OK, total newbie question here. I guess I wouldn't mind buying the 30 cent Balloon Fight. But I've never bought anything on the 3DS or Wii U digitally. Lack of points cards (that can be bought on sale) means very few purchases for me... But 30 cents I can't pass up. If I'm using a credit card (again, something I have never done on any system) do they just charge you the 30 cents, or do you have to fund in incremements of $5 or something? Seems like I heard that somewhere about some system.

Also, I know the 3DS has sort of points cards (ie, cash value cards like PSN). Is there something like that for the Wii U? That way at least I could use Best Buy or Amazon credit and not put a credit card on file with the system.

And yeah, thinking about it a bit, mykevermin hit it right on the head: these upgrades should be free if for no other reason then to encourage early Wii adopters who bought a lot of VC stuff early on but then stopped playing the Wii entirely for the last 3-4 years to upgrade to the new system. I imagine a good chunk of CAG falls into that category.

On the other hand, a new Xenoblade game in and of itself justifies my Wii U purchase. As for Wind Waker HD - nice idea, but unfortunately that is the only Zelda game I ever finished so I probably won't be picking that up. Too bad they couldn't do Skyward Sword (which I have yet to play at all).

#2377 Zmonkay

Zmonkay

Awesome in Small Doses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

Holy SHIT those WW screens are fucking gorgeous!!! Day 1 (just like the GCN release was before it :D )

New Mario, Kart, and Zelda "in development" is not an announcement, it's a given, but its good that Mario and Kart will be playable at E3. Gives hope for a holiday release at least.

Also very excited about new Monolith game:
Posted Image
For Sale: Like New/Opened Once Japanese Transformer 2010 Reissue Predaking http://www.cheapassg...291#post2498291

yourfree360games referal: SIGN UP AND GET FREE 360 games with easy and free (or dirt cheap) trial offers
http://www.yourfree3....php?ref=233445

#2378 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:16 PM

io:

I do know there are cards for the eShop that are in various increments. Gamestop has them for example, and they'll be for X amount of dollars. I know there's a $50 card for example; it's obvious these are meant to address buying retail games digitally. I want to say there's a $30 or maybe a $20, but don't quote me on that. Since they aren't point based and instead are cash based, they can easily do charges in various amounts.

I don't know much about this "if you buy something on the eShop with a card, it has to be a minimum amount/in some certain increment" thing. That's never been the case with the 3DS, but I don't know if the Wii U is any different.

Speaking generally, I don't like using cards on systems directly given some of the issues that have risen in past years. The two biggest examples are the PSN security hack from 2011, and the fact that Microsoft removed the ability to stop auto-renew of XBL accounts. What REALLY gives me pause is that both of those companies are far, far longer with their online stuff than Nintendo could ever hope to be, so it makes me really hesitant to want to use Nintendo's system for electronic purchases.

Hence, I'm far more inclined to by cards as I need them from retail stores, if only because that seems "safer" in the long run.

Anyway, take this how you will.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#2379 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:22 PM

OK, total newbie question here. I guess I wouldn't mind buying the 30 cent Balloon Fight. But I've never bought anything on the 3DS or Wii U digitally. Lack of points cards (that can be bought on sale) means very few purchases for me... But 30 cents I can't pass up. If I'm using a credit card (again, something I have never done on any system) do they just charge you the 30 cents, or do you have to fund in incremements of $5 or something? Seems like I heard that somewhere about some system.

Also, I know the 3DS has sort of points cards (ie, cash value cards like PSN). Is there something like that for the Wii U? That way at least I could use Best Buy or Amazon credit and not put a credit card on file with the system.

You can pay exact change if you want and there are general purpose cards for the 3DS and Wii U eShop.

http://www.bestbuy.c...8114_&cp=1&lp=1

#2380 io

io

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:25 PM

Speaking generally, I don't like using cards on systems directly given some of the issues that have risen in past years. The two biggest examples are the PSN security hack from 2011, and the fact that Microsoft removed the ability to stop auto-renew of XBL accounts. What REALLY gives me pause is that both of those companies are far, far longer with their online stuff than Nintendo could ever hope to be, so it makes me really hesitant to want to use Nintendo's system for electronic purchases.

Exactly. Well, I might stop in GS tonight and I'll see if they have any cards. I don't see a listing for them on Amazon or Best Buy (unlike the 3DS shop cards) so that's why I wasn't even sure they existed for the Wii U.

Edit: thanks Frisky - a general search for me on "Wii U shop" or "Wii U eshop" didn't show that link. I guess I'll grab one of those with my GS credit tonight. Though funding it with $20 is a little bit of overkill for a few months worth of 30 cent games ;). But hopefully I'll have more use for it later too.

I just thought of a good use for the Wii -> Wii U upgrade promotion that makes it useful even if I have to pay $1-$2. I have 1000 points on my Wii shop account that I haven't touched in at least 4 years. I also have 3 or 4 Wii Points cards from some long forgotten promo (got them for $3-$10). I guess once a game comes out on the Wii U VC, I could buy the Wii version and then pay the $1-$2 to "upgrade" it. That's all I'm essentially paying then, since the Wii points cards were purchased long ago and that money is long gone. But of course that will only work for games that are on both systems and ones that I haven't already bought.

#2381 lmz00

lmz00

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:29 PM

Do we get to keep the save data from our Wii virtual console titles when upgrading them?

#2382 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:38 PM

Do we get to keep the save data from our Wii virtual console titles when upgrading them?

I don't think you're actually upgrading them, but you can get the upgraded version from the Wii U eShop for cheaper if you've done the Wii Transfer to the Wii U. So I'd bet that whatever you've done in the original Wii version stays there unless they have a trick up their sleeve.

Edit: And io, stop being a jerk and respond to my Wii U friend request. :-( The visibility of that stuff must be really bad if nobody has ever responded to my requests after three weeks. It really should appear under the notifications tab at the very least.

Edited by FriskyTanuki, 23 January 2013 - 11:49 PM.

#2383 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:51 PM

I just bought Balloon Fight with my credit card and it only charged me the .32 (.30+tax). When you buy, if you don't have enough money in your account, it gives you the option to pay the balance with a credit card. I have nothing in my account, so I paid the whole .32 with my card. Additionally, you are given the option to keep the card on file for future purchases or not.

Bored? Too much money than you know what to do with? Why not check out my Amazon Storefront? If you see anything you want, send me a PM! Make an offer, either monetary or trade! Over 2000 items, and more added daily!

#2384 io

io

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:57 PM

I don't think you're actually upgrading them, but you can get the upgraded version from the Wii U eShop for cheaper if you've done the Wii Transfer to the Wii U. So I'd bet that whatever you've done in the original Wii version stays there unless they have a trick up their sleeve.

Edit: And io, stop being a jerk and respond to my Wii U friend request. :-( The visibility of that stuff must be really bad if nobody has ever responded to my requests after three weeks. It really should appear under the notifications tab at the very least.

I haven't turned on my Wii U in 2-3 weeks (I was out of town all last week). Every time I turn it on I check the friend requests so for sure I haven't been on since you sent it. Shipwreck hasn't responded to mine in nearly 2 months if that makes you feel better ;).

#2385 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:14 AM

I haven't turned on my Wii U in 2-3 weeks (I was out of town all last week). Every time I turn it on I check the friend requests so for sure I haven't been on since you sent it. Shipwreck hasn't responded to mine in nearly 2 months if that makes you feel better ;).

I figured that, but I wanted to give you some shit while you were here.

#2386 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:55 AM

Is the Wii straight-up backwards compatible with Wii? Seeing as how PS3 and 360 "burned" us this gen (Xbox's largely incomplete and glitchy BC, PS3's "now-you-see-it-now-you-don't" BC), are there any reports of games being problematic on the Wii U?
Posted Image

#2387 soonersfan60

soonersfan60

Longing for retro CAG...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:36 AM

If you bought original VC games on the Wii, but are not happy about the transfer cost from Wii to WiiU, you already paid a fee to re-buy a game from an older Nintendo platform once, why are you complaining about having to do it one more time, for MUCH CHEAPER? Nintendo's not forcing you to upgrade to the WiiU, you can always play the games in Wii mode.

The press release I saw implied that the Wii U version will be "upgraded"... whatever that means.

#2388 soonersfan60

soonersfan60

Longing for retro CAG...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:46 AM

Is there any way I can get the points off of my Wii and use them with my Wii U?

#2389 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:19 AM

Is there any way I can get the points off of my Wii and use them with my Wii U?

No. Once you have points/money in your account on a platform, I don't think there's a way to transfer them to anything else.

#2390 KillerRamen

KillerRamen

OMG Lilac PSP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:38 AM

Is the Wii straight-up backwards compatible with Wii? Seeing as how PS3 and 360 "burned" us this gen (Xbox's largely incomplete and glitchy BC, PS3's "now-you-see-it-now-you-don't" BC), are there any reports of games being problematic on the Wii U?

I haven't heard of any Wii games being incompatible with the Wii U. It works like there's a Wii inside your Wii U. You go into Wii mode and it's just like as if it were a Wii.

Also unlike the Xbox->Xbox 360 and the PS2->PS3, the basic architecture of the Wii U is very similar to that of the Wii. They stuck with a PowerPC chip from IBM and Nintendo did say virtually all games, so I kind of believe them. I'm sure someone will find some game that won't work or will find bugs, but I don't know about them.
Posted Image

#2391 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:03 AM

Thanks. If "Carnival Games" or "Family Fuck Night 2008" turn out to be buggy, that's cool. If Zack and Wiki does, on the other hand...hell to pay and robble robble and internet rage, I suppose.
Posted Image

#2392 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:47 AM

I can assure you that Zack and Wiki plays fine. A thing to note is that the Wii U upscales the games, not your TV. So what'll end up happening is you'll see a fine black border around the screen.

And the announcement of Mario and Mario Kart coming wasn't the big thing. The fact that they're coming THIS YEAR is. Although I guess people figured 3D Mario was coming this year. I'm surprised at Mario Kart though. It feels too soon for that.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#2393 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:34 AM

Well, the last console Mario kart was almost 5 years ago. Fits the cycle of it really. Double Dash was 2003 (5 year gap) 64 was 96 (6 year gap) and the first one was 92 (4 year gap)

#2394 F-Zero

F-Zero

Show me your moves!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:57 AM

I just wish someone with the ability would just scream into Nintendo's ears: unified accounts for ownership of the digital content, stop locking to hardware only, DO IT NOW!

#2395 Erad30

Erad30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

Honestly not all that excited about a new Mario Kart. Sonic All-Stars Racing is better than the last couple of efforts so they better bring their A game if they want to get me interested.

Blog is on hiatus but check out both Screensnark & Gamesided for my latest writings!

Gamertag/PSN: Eradicator31

Wii U: Eradicator30

#2396 MetalSlugger

MetalSlugger

Wubadubadub, is that true?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

The only two issues I've encountered are 1)no GC controller support (obviously) and 2) 4:3 games are permanently stretched to 16:9.

uc.png

#2397 moothemagiccow

moothemagiccow

Tall buildings shake

• Silenced

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

I can assure you that Zack and Wiki plays fine. A thing to note is that the Wii U upscales the games, not your TV. So what'll end up happening is you'll see a fine black border around the screen.

So there was a big furor about there being no overscan on Wii U. Instead of setting your TV to 16:9, it's probably set to Screen Fit or Full or something like that.

Wii never had a problem with this, so if you switch to Wii Mode, there will be some empty space at the edge of the screen. Switch back to 16:9 on your TV and it should look better.

For the 4:3 problem, just set your TV's picture mode to 4:3. I don't know if I have any games w/o widescreen support so I can't check. There was a display mode on original Wii settings, not sure if there's one in Wii mode. But yeah, this is all a little weird, but still way better than other makers' BC.

#2398 MetalSlugger

MetalSlugger

Wubadubadub, is that true?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

So there was a big furor about there being no overscan on Wii U. Instead of setting your TV to 16:9, it's probably set to Screen Fit or Full or something like that.

Wii never had a problem with this, so if you switch to Wii Mode, there will be some empty space at the edge of the screen. Switch back to 16:9 on your TV and it should look better.

For the 4:3 problem, just set your TV's picture mode to 4:3. I don't know if I have any games w/o widescreen support so I can't check. There was a display mode on original Wii settings, not sure if there's one in Wii mode. But yeah, this is all a little weird, but still way better than other makers' BC.

Umfortunately for me my TV can't do 4:3 Wii emulation because the upscaled resolution locks the aspect ratio.

I also forgot to add that any game's Connect24 functionality won't work but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

uc.png

#2399 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:43 AM

After the Nintendo Direct, I think I'm going to take the dive and get a Wii U tomorrow.

Anybody here played The Cave yet? The review scores have been lower than I expected. Also, I read that there's no off-TV play for it, which is a bummer, but it's not a deal breaker. I loved Maniac Mansion on NES, so I think I'll also grab a card tomorrow so I can get The Cave and all the .30 games with the leftover funds.

#2400 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

Toneman.org coming soon..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:21 AM

Saw the kiosk finally had the New Super Mario Bros demo. Pretty fun and solid, though I'm going to wait on picking up a Wii U for the time being. HD Mario was so goddamned delicious looking though!

EDIT: Wind Waker HD! Wow!

Edited by Friend of Sonic, 26 January 2013 - 05:13 AM.

You hurt the right person and you're wrong for life.