LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

Eh, Fuck it. What's the point.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#2432 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

If Nintendo does not have a Pokemon game with Skylanders-like figures in the works (using the RFID reader on the Gamepad) then they have completely lost their touch. I say that even as someone with no interest in Pokemon whatsover. I'd rather see Pikmin, AC, Fire Emblem, Metroid and a whole host of other games before a Pokemon exclusive, but I recognize what it could do for sales and thus install base allowing for better games to come out.

So...Poke Park 3 with NFC Figure and TCG card support? Iwata said that an NFC-specific game would be coming to Wii U this year, but didn't give a name or anything.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#2433 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

Pokepark is complete crap, I would hope they wouldn't waste the technology on something this stupid. The younger generation plays Nintendo but they quickly grow out of it, and grow into the PS3/Xbox 360. It really depends on where you live and what is popular with kids in the neighborhood. There are definitely areas in the USA where Nintendo is very popular. I have noticed Nintendo seems to be more popular with children of other nationalities living in America. American children tend to favor the violent games like Halo and Call of Duty and anything else is uncool from ages 10 and up, thus Nintendo is not very popular with this group, it may be popular if you are in grade school and are under 10 years old but that is about it. But even these young kids seem to have a natural affinity for the violent games (completely ignoring any societal problems that might be causing of course). A child that refuses to play the violent games because they don't like that type of game when given them is definitely an anomaly over here at least. We have kids as young as 5 years old playing Halo and Call of duty. My point being since children get into CoD and Halo so early on anything with a cutsy vibe or anything that is not M rated becomes uncool much faster than it should be happening thus children are not interested in Nintendo's offerings. Sure there are plenty of parents that disallow the violent games, but even moreso that buy them on a whim for the child (trust me I see it all the time), for the parents that disallow violent games they have XBox's and PS3's with other games.

Pokemon has a pretty diehard fanbase consisting of a large variety of age groups including everything from small children all the way up to adults. There are tons of people who are closet Pokemon players who would never admit to being. I really don't know why support of Pokemon was so weak during the Wii era but it certainly hurt Nintendo.

I have also noticed that if tech makes it to one household with children its likely making it into the households of that child's friends and that child's friends, and nearby children etc. There may also be tech that is being completely ignored since friends seem to focus on one particular product since children have to have what their friends have. Especially since parents here will pretty much buy anything their kid asks for on a whim.

#2434 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

Man alive did I just misread "Poke Park" in a *very* inappropriate way.

Time to put on another pot of coffee.
Posted Image

#2435 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

I like how people some how think you "grow" out of Nintendo and into PS3/Xbox.

They are fucking video games, lol. You enjoy them or you don't.

#2436 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

If you have ever been around kids this does happen. They stop playing Nintendo and want to move onto bigger and more popular, and more violent games. It is possible to grow out of certain kinds of video games, however you can't really grow out of video games as a whole (that would be like growing out of movies).

#2437 Corvin

Corvin

...of Gilead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

But I think Frisky covered that pretty well. It's not like they sat on their asses and did nothing for 5 years. The only thing worse than sitting on your ass is talking out of it, which is what some CAGs (not pointing at anyone in particular here ;)) do about the Wii U. Sure, it has problems. However, there isn't much being said about it now that wasn't said about the 3DS a year and a half ago. But like Frisky said, if they had moved all those teams to the Wii U, the 3DS would be faltering now in a more critical phase in its lifecycle.

That's the point that's getting missed. In between all those press releases announcing how many billions of dollars were rolling in(there's a reason the "it prints money" meme exists) they could have hired new teams, started up new development houses not just shifting people around.

It is absolutely a matter of them sitting on their asses. They had the time, they had the resources but didn't use either very effectively.

Then again this has been my complaint with Nintendo for a few generations. They never put in 100% on the console. Something is always gimped or shortsighted in some way.

#2438 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

http://www.neogaf.co...ad.php?t=511008

Interesting.

#2439 moothemagiccow

moothemagiccow

Tall buildings shake

• Silenced

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:13 PM

keep it in the stupid sales figures thread

#2440 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:33 PM

Pish-posh. That's relevant news if it spreads more broadly. I keep up with the Wii U news on account of this thread, largely. $300 deeeeeeluxe? I'm more interested.
Posted Image

#2441 io

io

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:38 PM

I like how people some how think you "grow" out of Nintendo and into PS3/Xbox.

They are fucking video games, lol. You enjoy them or you don't.

If you have ever been around kids this does happen. They stop playing Nintendo and want to move onto bigger and more popular, and more violent games. It is possible to grow out of certain kinds of video games, however you can't really grow out of video games as a whole (that would be like growing out of movies).

As much as I wish it were like that Deader, I've experienced what Sara is saying in my own household. I've watched my oldest son (who will be 13 in a week) grow up on the Gamecube and Wii and now become a diehard, hardcore 360 fanboy. He won't touch the Wii, Wii U, or even PS3. I did rope him into a little NintendoLand when we first got it and he seemed to enjoy that a little - perhaps it triggered a little nostalgia from his earlier days playing Pikmin and Animal Crossing (Strell may remember him yelling over the Wii Speak during a few sessions of AC City Folk). But he soon got over that and hasn't wanted to play it since.

My 10 year-old is in that transition period now. He still likes playing games like Rayman and NSMB. But he plays more often on the PS3. There he is playing NBA 2K13, NBA Jam, and games like LBP and LBP Karting. So he's a "tweener" with the game types. In sort of a reaction against his big brother, though, I think he has no interest in shooters (Halo and the like). He likes watching me play games like No No Kuni and Xenoblade Chronicles. So I'm hoping that while I screwed up with the older one, this one will have some better tastes (not that there's anything wrong with Halo, but it is pretty much all the older one plays and I'm trying to get the younger one to like all the systems and a more diverse selection of games).

The funny thing is that I can't get any of my kids interested in handhelds of any type. I got my 10 year-old a 3DS for a road trip a year and a half ago and other than that, he hasn't really touched it. Yet I see kids all over playing DS/3DS systems. So that is just an anomoly with my kids I think.

#2442 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:48 AM

That's the point that's getting missed. In between all those press releases announcing how many billions of dollars were rolling in(there's a reason the "it prints money" meme exists) they could have hired new teams, started up new development houses not just shifting people around.

It is absolutely a matter of them sitting on their asses. They had the time, they had the resources but didn't use either very effectively.

Then again this has been my complaint with Nintendo for a few generations. They never put in 100% on the console. Something is always gimped or shortsighted in some way.

So now you're saying that they don't have to move all of their current teams to Wii U a long time ago, but that they should've hired a bunch of new teams to do nothing but Wii U development? It seems like you're changing the goal posts and suggesting things that only a company with an infinite amount of money and resources could pull off.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

#2443 moothemagiccow

moothemagiccow

Tall buildings shake

• Silenced

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:12 AM

did anyone play the cave demo? i got bored and the jokes were lame

#2444 Corvin

Corvin

...of Gilead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:26 AM

So now you're saying that they don't have to move all of their current teams to Wii U a long time ago, but that they should've hired a bunch of new teams to do nothing but Wii U development? It seems like you're changing the goal posts and suggesting things that only a company with an infinite amount of money and resources could pull off.

I'm simply saying they could have done far more than they did.

#2445 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:38 AM

As much as I wish it were like that Deader, I've experienced what Sara is saying in my own household. I've watched my oldest son (who will be 13 in a week) grow up on the Gamecube and Wii and now become a diehard, hardcore 360 fanboy. He won't touch the Wii, Wii U, or even PS3. I did rope him into a little NintendoLand when we first got it and he seemed to enjoy that a little - perhaps it triggered a little nostalgia from his earlier days playing Pikmin and Animal Crossing (Strell may remember him yelling over the Wii Speak during a few sessions of AC City Folk). But he soon got over that and hasn't wanted to play it since.

My 10 year-old is in that transition period now. He still likes playing games like Rayman and NSMB. But he plays more often on the PS3. There he is playing NBA 2K13, NBA Jam, and games like LBP and LBP Karting. So he's a "tweener" with the game types. In sort of a reaction against his big brother, though, I think he has no interest in shooters (Halo and the like). He likes watching me play games like No No Kuni and Xenoblade Chronicles. So I'm hoping that while I screwed up with the older one, this one will have some better tastes (not that there's anything wrong with Halo, but it is pretty much all the older one plays and I'm trying to get the younger one to like all the systems and a more diverse selection of games).

The funny thing is that I can't get any of my kids interested in handhelds of any type. I got my 10 year-old a 3DS for a road trip a year and a half ago and other than that, he hasn't really touched it. Yet I see kids all over playing DS/3DS systems. So that is just an anomoly with my kids I think.

My family is all apple but my one cousin is a diehard Nintendo fan at 12 which is really an anomaly for my area. He doesn't have HDTV or anything like that in his house so he is pretty much stuck with the Wii or older consoles. He has actually lost friends since he doesn't play CoD but I don't think that was a very good friend anyways. I think Nintendo is more popular with the 20+ in my area or little kids but there is no inbetween. I have gone to Pokemon events in my area and seen every age group imaginable but the events are wifi now so no events in store so the last event was a while ago. I think your kids will play the 3DS once more games come out, right now the game lineup isn't too good but the next few months are gonna bring some real heavy hitters. Be sure to introduce your kids to the upcoming games. If not hey you get the system all to yourself!

#2446 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:30 AM

Tell me if I've got this wrong: the option to pay a fee to upgrade a Wii VC game to a Wii U version playable on the Gamepad only applies to games that are officially released on the Wii U Virtual Console. For example, it wouldn't be possible to upgrade Mega Man if it had not been released in the eShop yet.

#2447 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:45 AM

Sort of. It's not REALLY an upgrade fee though. You can still play the original version in Wii mode, with the original save data and save state data. You're paying for a new version of the same game, with additional features (Miiverse, customizable controls, real save states, Gamepad play support) at a discount, as long as you've transferred your data over from Wii, because it basically syncs it to your NNA.
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#2448 nbballard

nbballard

glad you didnt say banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

Is there a way to turn the system on and navigate netflix/amazon video without the wii-pad? I want to start using the wii-u in my bedroom instead of my PS3, but I don't want to always have the wii-pad floating around the room because my wife will almost certainly break it.
Spoiler

#2449 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

Whenever you turn the system on, the Gamepad turns on, regardless of what controller you use (you can use the Wii Remote or Pro Controller to navigate non-Miiverse/non-eshop menus).

EDIT:
Just tested, you can't use the Wii Remote for Netflix.
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#2450 nbballard

nbballard

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:16 PM

^I was thinking more along the lines of the pro-controller, but i didn't have one to test.
Spoiler

#2451 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

The Pro Controller doesn't work. Why I don't know. Same goes for the Wii Remote.
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#2452 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

Should it be this bloody hard to figure out how to play games on a system?

Also, get off my lawn.
Posted Image

#2453 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

The compartmentalization is ridiculous. It's actually worse than Microsoft's insistence that no one else can make wireless controllers.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#2454 nbballard

nbballard

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

Dang.
Spoiler

#2455 moothemagiccow

moothemagiccow

Tall buildings shake

• Silenced

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:39 PM

The netflix app is fine but it's in sore need of an update. Remote support would be nice, as well as an option dual audio on the pad and turning off the damned episode descriptions everywhere. I don't want to see spoilers for everything.

#2456 AFRO insomniac

AFRO insomniac

Pikmin 3 - Challenge Mode is DOPE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:12 AM

I caved and bought a Wii U Deluxe during the Costco $50 off sale.

Should arrive some time next week according to the tracking info. I also decided to pick up a Wii U Pro Controller from GoHastings (used, $30) in preparation for Monster Hunter next month :D.

Will eventually pick up NSMBU, and Pikmin 3 when it comes out in a few months.

Those games along with my Wii backlog should hold me over till Wind Waker HD, 3D Mario, Mario Kart, and Smash Bros (hopefully) later this year/early next year.

Playing

Spoiler
2014 2013

#2457 yobaburp

yobaburp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:46 PM

I just got Nintendoland brand new and sealed off ebay for $25 shipped, beats Nintendo wanting to charge me $60 plus tax to download it off the E-Shop. All I use the WiiU for web browsing/Mii-verse forum's,(drawing and responses) media streaming via playon to watch my HD rip's of movies and season's of the Big Bang Theory. I still have yet to beat Ass Creed 3 on it because the control's are cumbersome and annoying on the tablet. To me the WiiU is a overpriced streaming media appliance.

#2458 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

Should prob return it then.

If you wanted a media player,not sure why you would get a console.

#2459 moothemagiccow

moothemagiccow

Tall buildings shake

• Silenced

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

yeah get a roku or popcorn hour or something
all consoles are terrible media players

#2460 yobaburp

yobaburp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:54 PM

I'm way past the return date by two months and rather than have the WiiU collect dust like my Wii I took advantage of the playon deal. It comes in handy if I want to check my email or the forums instead of having to take out my laptop. I know consoles suck at being a dedicate media player I might as well take adavantage at using the touch screen and using the console than just staring at it next to the ps3 I only really used for 3D Dot Game Heros' and lil bit Of Heavy Rain that almost made me fall asleep and that was months ago.