Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

Wii U General Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
6669 replies to this topic

#2731 paz9x

paz9x

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:24 PM

Just remember guys, Best Buy has a Buy 1, Get 1 50% off sale this week, and it works on pre-orders. Perfect for Monster Hunter and Lego City. They don't have Need for Speed Most Wanted available though :(

might be my first wiiu purchase since launch
"I am the Walrus" "Shut the Fuck up Donnie"

Posted Image

#2732 SolidSnake86

SolidSnake86

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

Anyone else having problems with their Wii U's wifi? I'm convinced it isn't a router problem and is something in with Wii U (I have no problems with other wifi enabled devices). The internet signal on my Wii U cuts out every few seconds, it's annoying. At this point, I'm ready to smash the gamepad against the wall.

#2733 paz9x

paz9x

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:59 PM

Anyone else having problems with their Wii U's wifi? I'm convinced it isn't a router problem and is something in with Wii U (I have no problems with other wifi enabled devices). The internet signal on my Wii U cuts out every few seconds, it's annoying. At this point, I'm ready to smash the gamepad against the wall.

ive had mine since xmas and play it a few days a week, no wifi issues at all so far. connected to an asus router fwiw
"I am the Walrus" "Shut the Fuck up Donnie"

Posted Image

#2734 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:12 AM

I have a Netgear router and haven't had any problems.

#2735 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:56 AM

Question about the Wii u for owners. Can you play original Wii games on the tablet with the TV set to something else or is that Wii u only?

#2736 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:58 AM

Question about the Wii u for owners. Can you play original Wii games on the tablet with the TV set to something else or is that Wii u only?

Who cares? It doesn't matter. The Wii U is already a dead system, right?

#2737 paddlefoot

paddlefoot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:08 AM

I know some people were having router issues depending on their connections. Do a google search for it. I know setting it up manually solved the problem.

In other news, I sort of wish I hadn't spent money on the system. I like it and all, but I a) Don't play it a lot right now and because of that b) could have waited on a price drop or Monster Hunter/Wonderful 101/Bayonetta 2, etc.

#2738 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:15 AM

Who cares? It doesn't matter. The Wii U is already a dead system, right?

Please, find where I said the Wii U is dead. I've never said such a thing nor do I believe it. I believe it will sell fine at $250 after its price drop.

Back on topic, anyone know?

#2739 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:16 AM

You can find out the answer after you buy it when it price drops for 250.

#2740 ZForce915

ZForce915

Group hug!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:27 AM

Please, find where I said the Wii U is dead. I've never said such a thing nor do I believe it. I believe it will sell fine at $250 after its price drop.

Back on topic, anyone know?

When playing Wii games the WiiU is emulating the process, so everything is just like if it were on the Wii. So nothing WiiU would work.
Posted Image

#2741 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:32 AM

You can find out the answer after you buy it when it price drops for 250.

LOL! You guys really can't take it. It's not my fault it's not selling. It's Nintendo's.

#2742 AFRO insomniac

AFRO insomniac

Pikmin 3 - Challenge Mode is DOPE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:38 AM

There is a dedicated channel on the Wii U that allows you to go into Wii mode.

After you select the channel the system reboots into the Wii interface and the Gamepad controller turns off.

Think of it as you have two consoles in one (Wii U, Wii) and you can reboot between the two.

This is also how you access any virtual console game you may have transferred from your Wii or purchase in Wii mode.

Although it doesn't offer Gamepad functionality, the Wii U allows me to play my Wii games through a HDMI port and makes the games look slightly better in my opinion. I'm currently playing through DKCR. :D

Playing

Spoiler
2014 2013

#2743 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:39 AM

There is a dedicated channel on the Wii U that allows you to go into Wii mode.

After you select the channel the system reboots into the Wii interface and the Gamepad controller turns off.

Think of it as you have two consoles in one (Wii U, Wii) and you can reboot between the two.

This is also how you access any virtual console game you may have transferred from your Wii or purchase in Wii mode.

Although it doesn't offer Gamepad functionality, the Wii U allows me to play my Wii games through a HDMI port and makes the games look slightly better in my opinion. I'm currently playing through DKCR. :D

It actually has Wii hardware in it that's seperate from the Wii U stuff right?

#2744 ZForce915

ZForce915

Group hug!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:16 AM

It actually has Wii hardware in it that's seperate from the Wii U stuff right?

It's all emulated.
Posted Image

#2745 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:28 AM

It's all emulated.

Incorrect, the Wii U chipset is backwards compatible with Wii by design. Just like the Wii booting into Gamecube mode, the Wii U reboots into Wii mode when playing Wii games.

#2746 moothemagiccow

moothemagiccow

Tall buildings shake

• Silenced

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:45 AM

Wii mode is 99% like owning a Wii. There are no new features. Menus are crisp at 1080p but games do not look much better. Maybe there's more disk space. You cannot play on gamepad or pro controller - you must use Wii remotes and your TV.

You can't download certain channels in Wii mode (e.g. Netflix, Amazon). Discs take forever to spin up. No Gamecube support. That's about it. I think.

//I forget who asked
//BTW I am loving my Wii U (though there's not enough storage). I was conflicted as hell for a while there. It'd be nice to have more games, and they are coming, but I have so many wii games to finish it's silly.

#2747 Josh5890

Josh5890

For AC New Leaf 3DS- 3110-4025-7228

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:40 PM

Gamestop- http://www.gamestop....tch-dogs/108088

Best Buy- http://www.bestbuy.c...1&skuId=8500088

Watch Dogs has a Wii-U page in both websites.

#2748 KillerRamen

KillerRamen

OMG Lilac PSP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:43 PM

Ubisoft just posted a video about Rayman on their Rayman facebook page. I'm at work, so I can't really see what it's all about. Something about daily challenges or something.
Posted Image

#2749 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:15 AM

Ubisoft is releasing a Challenge Mode thing for Rayman Legends in April. It's going to be an eShop exclusive. It'll feature 5 levels, have online play and weekly challenges.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#2750 AFRO insomniac

AFRO insomniac

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:36 AM

That's a really smart PR move if the content remains free and can offer enough meat until the official release.

Sucks that it's not going to be until April but that's really cool that it is free and has online play.

Playing

Spoiler
2014 2013

#2751 MoCiWe

MoCiWe

Space Smuggler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

One of my friends Wii U isn't getting a good connection to his router, I looked into it for him and was wondering if something like this could potentially help him (http://www.amazon.co...=range extender) or if there is another cheaper option, other then moving the system since where it's located is probably where it's going to stay.

659629.png?68329996

#2752 moothemagiccow

moothemagiccow

Tall buildings shake

• Silenced

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

You're better off buying a long ethernet cable and an adapter. It'll end up costing about the same.

http://www.amazon.co...ds=wii ethernet

http://www.amazon.co...ords=cat5 cable

Edited by moothemagiccow, 19 February 2013 - 03:58 PM.
an long = annyong

#2753 MoCiWe

MoCiWe

Space Smuggler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

That's what I told him at first but he was very adamant about going wireless for some reason, I'm going to try to see if I can get him to do that though, since it does seem like he would safe a few bucks and would get a better connection out of it overall.

EDIT: We changed a bunch of his settings, and he's able to log online and see his friends list/use the web browser, but whenever he tries any other app/game it says he can't connect due to being offline (even though he passes the test). Then when he moved it into the room with the router he had full bars and was able to use everything, so one of those range extenders should help since it seems to be a distance thing. Also, for some reason he is able to play normal Wii games online since we tried Monster Hunter Tri to see if it worked, and it did for some reason.

Edited by MoCiWe, 19 February 2013 - 01:35 PM.

659629.png?68329996

#2754 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

I honestly think they should just ditch the Basic, make the Deluxe $299 and remove all of the Stands and Digital Deluxe Promotion and make Nintendoland a digital copy (which they're already doing with the ZombiU bundle). I assume that'll make the system profitable.

I agree that they should dump the basic and drop the accessories to lower the price, but they should also increase the Deluxe to 64 GB. 32 GB is just so tiny. It's too tiny, even though yeah its solid state. That doesn't make it any less tiny, and I doubt most people would hook up a USB HDD to it. It's going to kill the download game market if everyone is stuck at 32 GB (or worse, 8 GB)

#2755 KillerRamen

KillerRamen

OMG Lilac PSP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:50 PM

I agree that they should dump the basic and drop the accessories to lower the price, but they should also increase the Deluxe to 64 GB. 32 GB is just so tiny. It's too tiny, even though yeah its solid state. That doesn't make it any less tiny, and I doubt most people would hook up a USB HDD to it. It's going to kill the download game market if everyone is stuck at 32 GB (or worse, 8 GB)

They will expand it eventually, but SDDs are still expensive. Xbox 360 started with 20GBs and the PS3 started with 20/60GBs. Personally, I like the having the option of buying a cheap USB 2B HDD a lot more than putting in either a proprietary drive or a laptop hard drive.
Posted Image

#2756 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

They will expand it eventually, but SDDs are still expensive. Xbox 360 started with 20GBs and the PS3 started with 20/60GBs. Personally, I like the having the option of buying a cheap USB 2B HDD a lot more than putting in either a proprietary drive or a laptop hard drive.

SSD's are expensive but a 16GB SD card is not. Is it actually a HDD or just solid state memory on the board? I doubt 16GB bought in bulk is that pricy.

#2757 KillerRamen

KillerRamen

OMG Lilac PSP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:05 PM

SSD's are expensive but a 16GB SD card is not. Is it actually a HDD or just solid state memory on the board? I doubt 16GB bought in bulk is that pricy.

According to the ifixit teardown, they use this chip from Samsung. http://www.samsung.c...=7637&iaId=2324

I really don't know much about it, but that's what they use in the Wii U and I think Smartphones. The largest one they make right now is 64GBs.
Posted Image

#2758 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:28 AM

According to the ifixit teardown, they use this chip from Samsung. http://www.samsung.c...=7637&iaId=2324

I really don't know much about it, but that's what they use in the Wii U and I think Smartphones. The largest one they make right now is 64GBs.

The link fails but from your description of it as a chip, it's not a hard drive which is pretty much what I expected. Does Nintendo even describe it as a hard drive? I don't think they do.

#2759 Philthy Bird

Philthy Bird

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:32 AM

Picked up a Wii U today. I got the deluxe bundle with NSMBU. Man, that update was no joke!

#2760 AFRO insomniac

AFRO insomniac

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:47 AM

Picked up a Wii U today. I got the deluxe bundle with NSMBU. Man, that update was no joke!

Check out this thread if you wanna add some CAGs to your friends list/Miiverse:

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=332214

:D

Playing

Spoiler
2014 2013