Photo
* * * * - 5 votes

Wii U General Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
6703 replies to this topic

#2851 io

io

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:11 AM

I don't see how I could even use the Wii U without the cradle. I'm not even sure how it charges otherwise. I guess a USB cable or something? Is it like the PS3 where the system has to be on to charge? That would never work for me since we sit 10 feet or more from the console when playing. With PS3 controllers I can swap them around (play on one, charge on the other). Obviously that doesn't work with the Wii U gamepad.

Even if it charges while off, I have no good place to put the pad where the system is - the stand gives it a spot and saves space.

#2852 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:15 AM

The cradle is just like the 3DS' cradle, as the cable you plug into it is what you can stick into the device itself to charge it if you want to do it that way.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki

#2853 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

Perpetually behind the times

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:11 AM

Just a heads up for those that didn't get it on PS+ recently, but Retro City Rampage finally came out today for 1000 Wii points, for those people who still have points to burn on their Wii U in Wii mode.

#2854 moothemagiccow

moothemagiccow

Tall buildings shake

• Silenced

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:16 AM

I don't see how I could even use the Wii U without the cradle. I'm not even sure how it charges otherwise. I guess a USB cable or something? Is it like the PS3 where the system has to be on to charge? That would never work for me since we sit 10 feet or more from the console when playing. With PS3 controllers I can swap them around (play on one, charge on the other). Obviously that doesn't work with the Wii U gamepad.

Even if it charges while off, I have no good place to put the pad where the system is - the stand gives it a spot and saves space.

I plug it into the wall. It's usually charging when I'm playing.

What's the point of having a cradle AND a stand? Couldn't you just sit it on the cradle?

Edited by moothemagiccow, 01 March 2013 - 01:33 AM.

#2855 io

io

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:18 AM

I plug it into the wall. It's usually charging when I'm playing. Basically I just don't have the stand.

Ah, I see - you can use the AC adapter directly to the pad. That would be nice for when the battery runs low. As it is, we just have to stop playing then because I have the adapter threaded to the back of our entertainment system and it isn't easy to get out.

But for general use, having a cord running across the room with little kids running around wouldn't work ;). That's why I like the cradle - it is kept WELL up high and away from all that.

#2856 Bigbadwolfe911

Bigbadwolfe911

Who's Afraid of Me?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:07 AM

Just a heads up for those that didn't get it on PS+ recently, but Retro City Rampage finally came out today for 1000 Wii points, for those people who still have points to burn on their Wii U in Wii mode.

Can you not use the points towards Wii U games? I have 4000 points on my Wii and when I get my Wii U later this week or next week I was hoping that after transferring Wii to Wii U that I could put those towards the new Super Mario Brother Wii U as I have already bought every game I want out of the Wii virtual console. If not I hope they release something worthwhile again to the Virtual Console.
Please add me to your Ultraviolet/Digital Copy mailing lists, my email is tjw779@yahoo.com

675829.png

#2857 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:11 AM

Got an email about new updates/content coming to Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for Wii U:

Capcom today confirmed that following the release of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for Nintendo's Wii U system on March 19, a software update will be released a month later (in April) as a response to community feedback.

The software update will add online cross-region functionality, allowing North American and European gamers to play together online in up to four-player battles*. Monster Hunters will also be able to play the game using just the Wii U GamePad without the need for a TV screen as the software update makes the title compatible with off-TV play.

Capcom will be continuing to support Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for several months after release with additional free of charge downloadable quests. The first quest will be available at launch.

Can you not use the points towards Wii U games? I have 4000 points on my Wii and when I get my Wii U later this week or next week I was hoping that after transferring Wii to Wii U that I could put those towards the new Super Mario Brother Wii U as I have already bought every game I want out of the Wii virtual console. If not I hope they release something worthwhile again to the Virtual Console.

Wii points are only usable on the Wii Shop.

#2858 Bigbadwolfe911

Bigbadwolfe911

Who's Afraid of Me?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:14 AM

Got an email about new updates/content coming to Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for Wii U:

Wii points are only usable on the Wii Shop.

Well that kind of sucks, but I am sure I will find something to spend them on otherwise I guess I could always gift my nephews some games.
Please add me to your Ultraviolet/Digital Copy mailing lists, my email is tjw779@yahoo.com

675829.png

#2859 Mad D

Mad D

CAG lurker since 04

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:51 AM

Picked it up. Didn't realize it was full of that many references (It's all references). Still have 3100 points left and I'm going to hate having that odd number of points remaining.

[ :3ds: | Smash Bros] 3437 3056 4510

trying to start or finish

Spoiler

#2860 renique46

renique46

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:23 AM

lol @ mh3 pretending to have dlc.

#2861 Bigbadwolfe911

Bigbadwolfe911

Who's Afraid of Me?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:26 AM

I just ordered a Zombiu Deluxe Set for only $350.99 I put thread in deals thread here:

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=339263

But thought I would reference here incase anyone is looking for a good deal on one. I can't wait for Monday or Tuesday when it gets here!

675829.png

#2862 diazt350

diazt350

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:47 AM

Since brernurse posted that offer I looked at the wii U and realized has anyone recieved any eshop credit from buying games online yet through the promotion only avaliable to the 32gb Wii U? Haven't heard anyone talk about it.
Posted Image
NNID:deathkwondo35
:3ds:-2964-8582-4635

#2863 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:36 PM

I am still annoyed that they never offered the fucking ZombiU edition here at launch but they did Europe. I would of bought that, and seeing I have the WiiU, Zombi U but no Pro Controller, I would of loved it.

I have a question, what controller has the best d-pad. Regular Wii U gamepad or Pro Controller? I am figuring out which solution I would rather play Tekken with. Controller or my TvC stick. I don't really like the joystick on the TvC stick, I might need to swap it out sometime.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#2864 Bigbadwolfe911

Bigbadwolfe911

Who's Afraid of Me?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:18 PM

Since brernurse posted that offer I looked at the wii U and realized has anyone recieved any eshop credit from buying games online yet through the promotion only avaliable to the 32gb Wii U? Haven't heard anyone talk about it.

Well since I won't have my Wii U till Monday (hopefully) I have not yet got any points but I did read this on Nintendo's site about how it works and it appears it is not automatic but requires some doing on your part, so if you have not gotten any you might want to check out this info below from this link: http://www.nintendo....eatures_ddp.jsp

To participate in the Deluxe Digital Promotion, you will need to complete the following steps:

1. Purchase a Wii U Deluxe Set.

2. Create a Nintendo Network ID on the system.

3. Buy digital games from the Nintendo eShop on Wii U.

4. Sign in to the Deluxe Digital Promotion website with your Nintendo Network ID and password 24 hours after downloading from the Nintendo eShop.

5. Check your Points balance.

For every 500 points, you will receive a code that can be redeemed for $5 in credit in the Nintendo eShop on the Wii U or Nintendo 3DS.

6. When your Points balance reaches 500 or higher, request a download code.

7.Redeem the code in the Nintendo eShop on the Wii U or Nintendo 3DS to add $5 onto your current balance.

675829.png

#2865 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

Perpetually behind the times

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:52 PM

Picked it up. Didn't realize it was full of that many references (It's all references). Still have 3100 points left and I'm going to hate having that odd number of points remaining.

If you were a fan of the original, then Bubble Bobble Plus! is a good 600 point game that will round off your total to a nice even number. Some import NES games are 600 as well, such as the Lost Levels.

#2866 diazt350

diazt350

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:13 AM

Well since I won't have my Wii U till Monday (hopefully) I have not yet got any points but I did read this on Nintendo's site about how it works and it appears it is not automatic but requires some doing on your part, so if you have not gotten any you might want to check out this info below from this link: http://www.nintendo....eatures_ddp.jsp

To participate in the Deluxe Digital Promotion, you will need to complete the following steps:

1. Purchase a Wii U Deluxe Set.

2. Create a Nintendo Network ID on the system.

3. Buy digital games from the Nintendo eShop on Wii U.

4. Sign in to the Deluxe Digital Promotion website with your Nintendo Network ID and password 24 hours after downloading from the Nintendo eShop.

5. Check your Points balance.

For every 500 points, you will receive a code that can be redeemed for $5 in credit in the Nintendo eShop on the Wii U or Nintendo 3DS.

6. When your Points balance reaches 500 or higher, request a download code.

7.Redeem the code in the Nintendo eShop on the Wii U or Nintendo 3DS to add $5 onto your current balance.

Thanks I didn't even know about the site I completely forgot about it haha. Seems like I have 3 pts only right now. Haha.

Will be downloading Trine 2 and others later one so hopefully I get some eshop credit from that.
Posted Image

#2867 Mad D

Mad D

CAG lurker since 04

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:46 AM

If you were a fan of the original, then Bubble Bobble Plus! is a good 600 point game that will round off your total to a nice even number. Some import NES games are 600 as well, such as the Lost Levels.

Oh yeah I forgot that imported games are a dollar more, that should even things out.

#2868 io

io

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:23 AM

Right, so I have no fucking idea what I used for a password for my Nintendo network ID that I made way back in Nov. and haven't had to enter since. Does anyone remember the restrictions (like alphanumeric only, and min number of characters)? That will help me remember which of my password variants I might have used ;).

The link for forgetting your password just tells you to recover it on the Wii U. But I don't want to do that since I am currently getting logged in without issue there and don't want to hose that up - so I need to figure it out for the DDP site. I'm guessing the restrictions on password creation must have been a little strange because none of my usual passwords are working.

My Balloon Fight post-play survey is up on Club Nintendo, so I should have an active eShop account. But maybe 30 cents is not enough to make the account active. Anyone else with just a Balloon Fight purchase able to get to the DDP site?

#2869 Bigbadwolfe911

Bigbadwolfe911

Who's Afraid of Me?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

Thanks I didn't even know about the site I completely forgot about it haha. Seems like I have 3 pts only right now. Haha.

Will be downloading Trine 2 and others later one so hopefully I get some eshop credit from that.

No problem I came across it when I was doing some research on the promotion, as I was considering buying a used system on Craigslist, but luckily I found this deal before going that route much better Deal! I plan to buy all the first party games via digital along with some other games I will likely plan to keep forever, but other games that I will play through once I will be buying via disc, so the 2 year 10% back will add up to be quite the savings!

675829.png

#2870 Bigbadwolfe911

Bigbadwolfe911

Who's Afraid of Me?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:46 PM

Right, so I have no fucking idea what I used for a password for my Nintendo network ID that I made way back in Nov. and haven't had to enter since. Does anyone remember the restrictions (like alphanumeric only, and min number of characters)? That will help me remember which of my password variants I might have used ;).

The link for forgetting your password just tells you to recover it on the Wii U. But I don't want to do that since I am currently getting logged in without issue there and don't want to hose that up - so I need to figure it out for the DDP site. I'm guessing the restrictions on password creation must have been a little strange because none of my usual passwords are working.

My Balloon Fight post-play survey is up on Club Nintendo, so I should have an active eShop account. But maybe 30 cents is not enough to make the account active. Anyone else with just a Balloon Fight purchase able to get to the DDP site?

If you don't figure it out before my console arrives (hopefully Monday or Tuesday) I will be sure to take note as I create mine and let you know.

675829.png

#2871 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:26 PM

Everytime I see the ddp.nintendo.com url, I think that Nintendo turned into big wrestling fans and created a Diamond Dallas Page site.

#2872 DK745

DK745

Streets Ahead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:29 AM

You can say "I Forgot Password" option on the Wii U, reset the password (never went through this myself), but after that in the settings for your NNID account on Wii U you can choose the option to never enter the password and log in automatically on the console.

#2873 diazt350

diazt350

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:05 AM

You can say "I Forgot Password" option on the Wii U, reset the password (never went through this myself), but after that in the settings for your NNID account on Wii U you can choose the option to never enter the password and log in automatically on the console.

You can do this the password will be sent to your email associated with your account. I've done this twice since I've forgot my password. Be sure to not to put the wrong password over and over since it will lock you from going online for a while. Not sure how long but it just said try again later.
Posted Image

#2874 moothemagiccow

moothemagiccow

Tall buildings shake

• Silenced

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:51 PM

omg firmware

#2875 Yars

Yars

I'd buy that for a dollar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:20 PM

omg firmware

Apparently it's to address the system crashes. Hopefully that does the trick.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how much of an improvement the spring update does in regards to the UI load times.

#2876 Bigbadwolfe911

Bigbadwolfe911

Who's Afraid of Me?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:20 PM

Just registered mine and the only restriction was length 6 to 16 characters nothing else was specified.

675829.png

#2877 io

io

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:37 AM

I was already doing that which is why I forgot my password (I never needed it to log in to the Wii U). But now I need it for the DDP site to check my points. I haven't bothered since I last posted though. All I've bought is Balloon Fight so it's not like I need to check my point balance all that urgently ;).

#2878 Zmonkay

Zmonkay

Awesome in Small Doses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:38 AM

better as Fuck not take 1+ hrs to DL this "update"...
For Sale: Like New/Opened Once Japanese Transformer 2010 Reissue Predaking http://www.cheapassg...291#post2498291

yourfree360games referal: SIGN UP AND GET FREE 360 games with easy and free (or dirt cheap) trial offers
http://www.yourfree3....php?ref=233445

#2879 moothemagiccow

moothemagiccow

Tall buildings shake

• Silenced

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:45 AM

started without asking, took like 2 minutes

#2880 Zmonkay

Zmonkay

Awesome in Small Doses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:56 PM

started without asking, took like 2 minutes

Nice, thanks for the info. Wonder if it's because it's so small or because the servers are better/fixed since last one.
For Sale: Like New/Opened Once Japanese Transformer 2010 Reissue Predaking http://www.cheapassg...291#post2498291

yourfree360games referal: SIGN UP AND GET FREE 360 games with easy and free (or dirt cheap) trial offers
http://www.yourfree3....php?ref=233445