* * * * * 4 votes

Wii U General Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
6680 replies to this topic

#2941 007

Areaologist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:58 PM

Yeah, I dunno what's going on. They might be trying to entice people to go digital, but this would be a wrong way in going about it.

I might try and see if BB can change my LCU order to in-store pickup, although I got my copy of MH3U today (from the same order) so I might not be able to.

I can say that MH3U has A TON of improvements over the original, particularly the way you enter online mode, and how you can play the online specific stuff offline. So unlike Tri, when the servers go off, that content will still be available.

It's worth giving them a call... the other part of my order was ME3 that I got shipped to me over a month ago. As long as the store has it in-stock, it shouldn't be a problem.

#2942 AFRO insomniac

AFRO insomniac

Pikmin 3 - Challenge Mode is DOPE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:24 AM

Yeah, I dunno what's going on. They might be trying to entice people to go digital, but this would be a wrong way in going about it.

I might try and see if BB can change my LCU order to in-store pickup, although I got my copy of MH3U today (from the same order) so I might not be able to.

I can say that MH3U has A TON of improvements over the original, particularly the way you enter online mode, and how you can play the online specific stuff offline. So unlike Tri, when the servers go off, that content will still be available. You can also use the Gamepad for Voice Chat, which is nice.

Do they still have the mandatory Tuesday morning server shutdowns? That's nice that the content is there even after shutting down the servers.

Also for anyone interested Mass Effect 3 and Madden 13 for the Wii U are also half off on origin.

http://store.origin....?keywords=wii u

Like KingBroly I picked up NFS. Funny how I end up purchasing NFS before Monster Hunter. Would have never guessed that would have happened or that the game could be found half price on its release date. :hot:

Playing

Spoiler
2014 2013

#2943 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:17 PM

Punch-Out is up for 30 cents in the eShop.

#2944 moothemagiccow

moothemagiccow

Tall buildings shake

• Silenced

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:11 PM

I was looking at Miiverse and BAM Punch Out community.

I find the game a lot easier than on 3DS because you can set Star Punch to Y and not have to slam that awkward start button the 3ds has.

#2945 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:35 PM

32MB for Punch Out? Odd.

#2946 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:03 PM

32MB for Punch Out? Odd.

Not really. Every VC game is wrapped in its' own custom emulator. Just like on Wii. Just like on 3DS.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#2947 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:51 PM

Not really. Every VC game is wrapped in its' own custom emulator. Just like on Wii. Just like on 3DS.

Ahh, duh on me, I knew this fact, but since on the Wii is obscured file size as blocks I never really thought about how large a given download was at any time.

Mea culpa

#2948 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:02 AM

They also massively improved the Emulator on Wii U so that it supports Save States, Controller Mapping, Off-TV Play and Miiverse (although this last one is external).
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#2949 Action!

Action!

King Koopa.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:53 PM

They also massively improved the Emulator on Wii U so that it supports Save States, Controller Mapping, Off-TV Play and Miiverse (although this last one is external).

So wait, will VC games be supported with Off-TV play?

I draw sometimes.  UPDATED: 6/28/14   Child of Light       |      Trade List

Hey, I'm selling prints now. http://society6.com/...nKazimer/prints

The game that I animate for is now in early access! Try out Lichdom: Battlemage!

#2950 ZForce915

ZForce915

Group hug!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:02 PM

So wait, will VC games be supported with Off-TV play?

I think that is the reason it's taking a while to come out.
Posted Image

#2951 Action!

Action!

King Koopa.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

I think that is the reason it's taking a while to come out.

Gotcha. I hadn't been following the matter too closely, but that's cool news.

I draw sometimes.  UPDATED: 6/28/14   Child of Light       |      Trade List

Hey, I'm selling prints now. http://society6.com/...nKazimer/prints

The game that I animate for is now in early access! Try out Lichdom: Battlemage!

#2952 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:46 PM

VC games are just mirrored so that what you see on the TV is also on the GamePad. They're not really doing anything fancy there.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

#2953 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:47 PM

Gotcha. I hadn't been following the matter too closely, but that's cool news.

The ones released thus far display on both screens without any need to activate for off-tv play.

There is one drawback to the current emulator, the Rz button brings up the emulator window for controller and restore point tweaks. That button is extremely easy to hit.

#2954 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:40 PM

Well with Lego City Undercover if people buy digital then Nintendo also promotes the sale of another external hard drive since it is required for the game if you buy it digital.

By intentionally limiting the supply of games they are making sure games never hit the clearance racks or the bargain bin because they have too many copies in stock at each store, on the minus side they are losing an impulse sale on someone who will buy a copy they see sitting on store shelves. I guess if the person can't find the game at the store they are hoping that they will go home and buy the digital version, but I don't think that is happening as much as we think it is.

If they continue with poor distribution and limited supplies of games I will not be buying a Wii U, I buy my systems to perhaps buy cheaper games down the line, not to have to preorder a game and hope I get a copy because they didn't make enough.

#2955 AFRO insomniac

AFRO insomniac

Pikmin 3 - Challenge Mode is DOPE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:56 PM

The ones released thus far display on both screens without any need to activate for off-tv play.

There is one drawback to the current emulator, the Rz button brings up the emulator window for controller and restore point tweaks. That button is extremely easy to hit.

You can remap the buttons to avoid this problem. I was having the same issue so I moved this button to one of the other shoulder buttons.

Playing

Spoiler
2014 2013

#2956 io

io

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:28 PM

Crap - did I miss a 30 cent VC game? What was before Punch-Out? If so, that month went by super fast. It seems like I just bought Balloon Fight.

#2957 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:29 PM

F-Zero was the last one.

#2958 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:30 PM

It was F-Zero. It still seems to be on sale if you want to hurry, io.

#2959 io

io

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:46 PM

It was F-Zero. It still seems to be on sale if you want to hurry, io.

Thanks - got it. After updating the system, that is...

#2960 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:50 PM

Toki Tori 2 is out on April 4.

#2961 moothemagiccow

moothemagiccow

Tall buildings shake

• Silenced

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:33 AM

I got the Need for Speed game. I thought it looked cool but the cars are really ugly and driving is hard since you have to keep tapping the gas to maintain a speed. Also the touchscreen controls are really weirdly implemented. If you play one-player it's just a mirror of the screen, so to enable maps or anything you have to play two-player and set "dual controls" on.

#2962 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:45 PM

Nintendo's booth at PAX East was the best. Lots of games to play, 3DS and WiiU, including Wonderful 101. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to try out W101 myself.

#2963 coolz481

coolz481

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:08 PM

Nintendo's booth at PAX East was the best. Lots of games to play, 3DS and WiiU, including Wonderful 101. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to try out W101 myself.

Overhear anything about a release date? I still the most likely schedule for the next few months is Virtual Console and Game & Wario in April, The Wonderful 101 in May, and Pikmin 3 in June.
\\:D/

#2964 frostybroc

frostybroc

ROFLTrooper

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:15 PM

I really wish Nintendo would release mad content for the eShop. They could make some decent money releasing old classics. (praying for Zelda: A Link to the Past, and Super Mario World for my son).

fs_overall.png

#2965 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:18 PM

Virtual Console should be starting up again for Wii U in the next few months, though I don't know if that's not happening until after the sales are over.

#2966 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:27 PM

Overhear anything about a release date? I still the most likely schedule for the next few months is Virtual Console and Game & Wario in April, The Wonderful 101 in May, and Pikmin 3 in June.

No, but that reminds me that Pikmin 3 was also there and playable. Sony's booth was pathetic (the only thing they were showing was The Last of Us. That's it) and Microsoft's, while better, wasn't really showing anything new.

#2967 moothemagiccow

moothemagiccow

Tall buildings shake

• Silenced

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:12 AM

I really wish Nintendo would release mad content for the eShop. They could make some decent money releasing old classics. (praying for Zelda: A Link to the Past, and Super Mario World for my son).

I'm really hoping they will just release everything from Wii in one go (since they said upgrade discounts are automatic), but I bet they'll do the slow drip thing again.

#2968 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:58 AM

I'm really hoping they will just release everything from Wii in one go (since they said upgrade discounts are automatic), but I bet they'll do the slow drip thing again.

Depends on if there are any rights issues and/or if the emulator update is just an API change or something that requires a new round of testing on each game. Alas I don't know which.

#2969 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:15 AM

Here's a video comparison of what the Wii U update is going to improve/how much:

I think it's just menu related stuff.
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#2970 moothemagiccow

moothemagiccow

Tall buildings shake

• Silenced

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:19 AM

Virtual Console should be starting up again for Wii U in the next few months, though I don't know if that's not happening until after the sales are over.

They said "Spring" and I think Donkey Kong won't be available til July and that's a pretty solid summer month.