Gamepro is Dead.

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31 Donut2922

Donut2922

Read the OP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2011 - 11:15 AM

i never saw that as a head exploding. I saw it as a guy with spiky hair who was cracked out or something because the game was awesome.

Gamepro helped me complete doom with this protip:

Posted Image

lmao

Now playing:

:ps4: Last of Us: Remastered
:ps3: God of War: Ascension

:360: Gears of War 3, The Walking Dead Season Two: Episode 5

#32 Calinks

Calinks

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2011 - 11:36 AM

I have always been impressed with how early Game Informer gets it's info. Even with the internet they still manage to get exclusives. They got it figured out more than most over there.

#33 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 04 December 2011 - 12:04 AM

I have always been impressed with how early Game Informer gets it's info. Even with the internet they still manage to get exclusives. They got it figured out more than most over there.

That's cuz they have Gamestop's billions of dollars in profits behind them, so they probably grease more than a few palms to get that info before everyone else.:roll:

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#34 bigdaddybruce44

bigdaddybruce44

Murders & Executions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:39 PM

That's cuz they have Gamestop's billions of dollars in profits behind them, so they probably grease more than a few palms to get that info before everyone else.:roll:

How do you think most journalism outlets get exclusive info? Be it money or favors, someone is getting something for that info. It's not some guy in a hat and trenchcoat and a press pass.

#35 KyleCaamelot

KyleCaamelot

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:45 AM

How do you think most journalism outlets get exclusive info? Be it money or favors, someone is getting something for that info. It's not some guy in a hat and trenchcoat and a press pass.

Though, that would be awesome...

#36 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:14 PM

You mean Nintendo Power LIED about how they got top secret info? My childhood, ruined.
Spoiler

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#37 KaneRobot

KaneRobot

The Profit$ of Doom

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2011 - 05:48 AM

I was walking out of a Toys R Us with my younger brother, grandma, and mom in 1989. On the way out an employee was handing out magazines for free. We took two copies of it. It was the first issue of Gamepro, which had a generic football/barbarian/soldier collage and simply said "NINTENDO - SEGA - ATARI" on it. I stuck with Gamepro for its first three years or so, still have all of them somewhere.

No, I don't know why I remember how I got the first issue of Gamepro, but I do.

Anyway, people shit on it now and probably deservedly so, but when it came out, to a kid it was pretty fucking awesome. At that point, Nintendo Power was all most kids knew - Video Games & Computer Entertainment was aimed at a slightly older (and PC oriented) audience, and everything else (ie Game Player's Strategy Guide) was cheap-looking, error-filled garbage.

Nintendo Power wouldn't even acknowledge Super Mario 3's existence, and Gamepro had a fairly detailed 3 page spread on it (the Japanese version obviously) in their very first issue. That was enough to win me over right out of the gate - I didn't even know it existed until that point.

EGM showed up not too long after Gamepro started, and around the 1-year mark of EGM I discovered that and slowly moved from buying both to only buying EGM, but those first few years of Gamepro were not bad at all.
Posted Image

#38 Thomas96

Thomas96

I am Thomaticus!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:58 PM

Noooooooo not gamepro.....noooooooo. I will miss them, but hey they out of date now.
Posted Image

#39 Theenternal

Theenternal

CAG got me pregnant

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:26 PM

Ill enjoy picking up vintage gamepros every now and then just for the ads, or to see how certain classics bad and good were perceived.
Posted Image
http://www.grapplemo...yevtakayama.gif

Removed IMG tags due to sig guideline violations.

#40 Gentlegamer

Gentlegamer

Posted 17 December 2011 - 01:38 AM

GamePro was my video game magazine of choice in the early 90s, when I was in middle school.

Anyone nostalgic can check out scans of old GamePros (and other game mags) at retromags.com.
Posted Image

#41 Thekrakrabbit

Thekrakrabbit

Is Making A Comeback!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:30 AM

I guess that is what happens when you pump out a bunch of reviews with super high scores on poor games. I know even two years ago people were calling them corrupt for writing horrible reviews on games, yet putting an overall score of 4.5/5.0 at the end for some magical reason. Apparently gamers got fed up with it...recently, the only use a lot of people had for Gamepro was their news stories, which were typically not very exclusive or special.

A longtime publication though that I am sure will be missed. Its too bad they couldn't stay legitimate and well loved throughout the years, they were pioneers.

Check out @RealKrakrabbit - Twitter Page Full of News, Tidbits, etc., etc.

Also looking to make trades/sells to anyone who is interested. Check out my tradelist! :grouphug: