Lord of the Rings: War in the North Snow Troll Figurine - $10 at Best Buy

Saix_XIII

CAGiversary!
Feedback
158 (100%)
I was at Best Buy today where the gaming department guys have gotten to know me pretty well and they told me they had these figurines from War in the North for $10. They were from pre-ordering the game, but corporate is allowing them to be sold for $10. I bought one on the spot. It's really nice and I did some looking online and it seems that this was part of the CE for EU and/or AU. It's got some nice weight to it and is nicely detailed.

Here is a picture of it, but it is shown with all the CE content, can't seem to find an image of just the troll. The base and troll are detachable, and there is a hole in the trolls right foot that fits onto a metal peg. So you can choose to use the base or not, up to you. The hammer is a softer plastic then the rest of it, and is not attached to the trolls hand, so it won't break easily, which is nice. Overall I really like it, especially for $10.

cat_lotr-witn-ce-585.jpg

Saw it. Bought it. Regretted it. Returned it.

Last edited by a moderator:
They have one opened at my Best Buy, it was on the counter at the register in the games area a week or two ago. I picked it up and took a look at it. Not my cup of tea at $10, but will look out for it once it hits $.01 ;)

So...everyone here has seen it but didn't post it? Yet, I post it and get mild backlash. Go figure...

This may not be a deal to everyone, more then likely it isn't, because not everyone is into figurines/LotR. But that is a nature of the beast, we share everything so that hopefully everyone finds something that appeals to them.

The quality isn't amazing, it isn't a $50-100 figure marked down to $10, but it is nice. I have a number of CE statues: Halo Reach, Killzone 3, DC Universe Online, Arkham City, inFamous 2, Uncharted 3, Mortal Kombat, Assassins Creed Brotherhood, and a War figure from DarkSiders. I would put this on par with the best of those and all of them but Brotherhood are very nice quality.

Would it be better at a penny price, of course! That isn't up for debate, but for those who are into this kind of stuff I think $10 is a great price to pay.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']So...everyone here has seen it but didn't post it? Yet, I post it and get mild backlash. Go figure...

This may not be a deal to everyone, more then likely it isn't, because not everyone is into figurines/LotR. But that is a nature of the beast, we share everything so that hopefully everyone finds something that appeals to them.[/QUOTE]

Well I figure that people did not post it because it is not a good deal (suggesting that it is even a deal). Fortunately my girlfriend has not signed up under your logic or we might be seeing purses and shoes listed as "hot deals".

Wow, if I saw that for 10 bucks I would buy it in a second, then again I am not sure how big it is but it looks awesome. Good deals like these are always lost on people who are not into them.

[quote name='Jon Bon']Well I figure that people did not post it because it is not a good deal (suggesting that it is even a deal). Fortunately my girlfriend has not signed up under your logic or we might be seeing purses and shoes listed as "hot deals".[/QUOTE]

Pfft, pictures of her in shoes or she doesn't exist.

the paintjob/quality is ymmv, as the 4 left at my store lack any chroma and results in muted grey colors all the way around. it almost looks like a greyscale animation maquette- which i like but others might not.

My store had a bunch when they were bonuses. I grabbed the game and troll for $45 with an @game coupon, then Ebayed the troll ($26) and the armor/weapon DLC ($6) to make the game less expensive. Got bored of the game quickly and traded it in for a positive gain rental.

It has nothing at all on Skyrim.

Thanks OP. I'll keep a look out and hope they clearance these. They are going for over $20 on ebay, so I'd say this is deal.

[quote name='fmwross2']My store had a bunch when they were bonuses. I grabbed the game and troll for $45 with an @game coupon, then Ebayed the troll ($26) and the armor/weapon DLC ($6) to make the game less expensive. Got bored of the game quickly and traded it in for a positive gain rental.

It has nothing at all on Skyrim.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I heard the game was horrid, but I don't care if I see the figure I'll get it.

i agree its pretty cool not going to buy it but if i had a desk or a spot to display figures without a 4 yr old running around i might have picked it up

[quote name='Saix_XIII']So...everyone here has seen it but didn't post it? Yet, I post it and get mild backlash. Go figure...

This may not be a deal to everyone, more then likely it isn't, because not everyone is into figurines/LotR. But that is a nature of the beast, we share everything so that hopefully everyone finds something that appeals to them.

The quality isn't amazing, it isn't a $50-100 figure marked down to $10, but it is nice. I have a number of CE statues: Halo Reach, Killzone 3, DC Universe Online, Arkham City, inFamous 2, Uncharted 3, Mortal Kombat, Assassins Creed Brotherhood, and a War figure from DarkSiders. I would put this on par with the best of those and all of them but Brotherhood are very nice quality.

Would it be better at a penny price, of course! That isn't up for debate, but for those who are into this kind of stuff I think $10 is a great price to pay.[/QUOTE]
Actually it was posted, but I am not sure where I saw it exactly... anyways they were saying they were FREE (not with game purchase). Basically some were claiming no store wanted them and were giving them away.

Would it be better at a penny price, of course! That isn't up for debate, but for those who are into this kind of stuff I think $10 is a great price to pay.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up Saix, I'll be sure to look out for it tomorrow when I pickup :360:NFS:Shift 2.

To comment on the game just for the sake of it. I got it when it came out from amazon for $40 and got $20 back, so it was worth the $20 price I paid. But it was rather short, took about a week or MAYBE two to get 1000/1000. It does have a good # of flaws, but it also has a lot of fun aspects, but most certainly could have been better. I guess I would have given it a 7/10.

But, at the same time I actually traded it in for $37.50, essentially making $17.50 on the game and getting everything in it, and that is the first game I have ever traded in that I own that wasn't a flip in over 5 years.

I went out to that "private event" tonight...which I just knew was going to be a joke and it was, but anyway, the store I went to had 2 of these left and I grabbed one...$9.99 oddly with no tax.

They had the contents of the Skyrim CE on display there, and this statue is actually heavier than the Skyrim dragon, which while more detailed, is a total piece of plastic-y junk...I'd pay maybe $25 for that thing....maybe.

Thank you again OP for posting, I remember seeing one of these in Best Buy on Black Friday but figuring you had to buy a CE of the game and didn't even bother to inquire. I, for one, do appreciate your post.

Hahaha i love when posts get deleted.... I guess giving opinions on others bashing this deal and me giving props to the OP was really bad. Oh well just lost more love that is all.

I was at a BBY in Hanover, MD today and there was an OCEAN of these laying around, in the main entrance, near the cash wrap, and in the gaming area. Limited they are not, but I'm sure someone would want one.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']But it was rather short, took about a week or MAYBE two to get 1000/1000. It does have a good # of flaws, but it also has a lot of fun aspects, but most certainly could have been better. I guess I would have given it a 7/10.[/QUOTE]

I might have given it a 7/10, but I've been stuck in Mirkwood while they make a patch. My game wont progress, but I can go fight the spider for no loot forever.

Also, how are the trolls in WitN all immune to sunlight?

[quote name='Sonne']I was at a BBY in Hanover, MD today and there was an OCEAN of these laying around, in the main entrance, near the cash wrap, and in the gaming area. Limited they are not, but I'm sure someone would want one.[/QUOTE]

What's funny is I have never seen one of these and I hit 3 best buys yesterday. I wonder if they are in the back 'warehouse'.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']To comment on the game just for the sake of it. I got it when it came out from amazon for $40 and got $20 back, so it was worth the $20 price I paid. [/QUOTE]

Just a heads up, if you use $20 credit on a game and get a new $20 credit from it, that doesn't mean you spent $20. Figured I should probably warn you before you run out of money spending twice as much as you convince yourself you are on games as well as buying trolls.

If every game came with a $20 credit, a purchase history would look like $60 -> $40 -> $40 -> $40 -> $40 and so on, you'll notice none of those are $20.

[quote name='croqoa']Just a heads up, if you use $20 credit on a game and get a new $20 credit from it, that doesn't mean you spent $20. Figured I should probably warn you before you run out of money spending twice as much as you convince yourself you are on games as well as buying trolls.

If every game came with a $20 credit, a purchase history would look like $60 -> $40 -> $40 -> $40 -> $40 and so on, you'll notice none of those are $20.[/QUOTE]

I understand how it works, but I got it for $40 due to a discount in my order. Then I got $20 promo credit. I understand the game itself wasn't $20 because of that, but I prefer to look at it that way when I tell people, but I preface it that I got $20 off another game, but it is easier to word it that "Essentially I got the game for $40". I don't need any warning. But thanks for the concern.

And i thought they were giving these away!! I got one when i purchased the game at launch. It's a nice statue to put between scorpion and subzero. =)

I don't fully get why this was moved.

On the VG Deals we have posts about the $10 reward certificate at BBY and the one about the Private Shopping Event at BBY. Neither of those are specifically game deals. We also sometimes get posts about VG art books and VG guides going on sale. Those aren't games, but game related.

The same thing for this statue. It is not a game, but it is directly tied to a game, it is branded for War in the North plus it comes in the CE for other countries.

[quote name='slowdive21']What's funny is I have never seen one of these and I hit 3 best buys yesterday. I wonder if they are in the back 'warehouse'.[/QUOTE]

They are...at least that's where the employee had to go to get one for me. They're also just packed in a normal cardboard shipping box, although with it's own plastic-mold insert like any other figure would have.

[quote name='croqoa']Just a heads up, if you use $20 credit on a game and get a new $20 credit from it, that doesn't mean you spent $20. Figured I should probably warn you before you run out of money spending twice as much as you convince yourself you are on games as well as buying trolls.

If every game came with a $20 credit, a purchase history would look like $60 -> $40 -> $40 -> $40 -> $40 and so on, you'll notice none of those are $20.[/QUOTE]

That's how a lot of people talk with these credits...just another way to justify the purchase of the game. I personally agree with your reasoning, although I will admit I've used the other "logic" to justify a couple Amazon purchase myself.

I just came back from BB and didn't see any of these around the gaming section. I checked around the online order pick-up area and nothing.

The only thing LotR related I saw was the sword.

[quote name='htown01']I just came back from BB and didn't see any of these around the gaming section. I checked around the online order pick-up area and nothing.

The only thing LotR related I saw was the sword.[/QUOTE]

U have to ask the employees. It seems many of the stores just have them in back.

[quote name='slowdive21']What's the sku please.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='shrike4242']What he said.[/QUOTE]

ok, the info on the receipt reads like this:

3687294 4000033476
GWP - LORD OF THE RINGS: WAR IN

I just picked up the only 2 I've seen here in Houston for a fellow CAG. They had been in the PS3 area on the top shelf since the game launched. Haven't seen them at any other locations. There was a price sticker and separate SKU/barcode sticker just stuck to the plastic. Good luck!

OK here is the scoop at least in my area.

SKU: 3687294

rings up at 9.99 (and shows the same in RSS)

Some stores give it free with LOTR North game purchase (as it should be)
Some stores give it free with ANY gaming purchase.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']U have to ask the employees. It seems many of the stores just have them in back.[/QUOTE]

Ah okay, thanks.

To people that want sku not available online tried that because i forgot my debit card. I was going to order and pick up in store while right in front of the employees, however they were nice enough to hold overnight. I think this figure looks amazing. I debated trying to import the uk collectors edition for this purpose. To those that can't find them, it is because they have most of them, if not all of them stowed away in back. I had to ask two or three different employees. Also if you buy they game they will give it to you for free, according to one employee. So, bonus, I believe the collector's edition is on sale for $79.99 then throw in the snow troll, pretty nice deal.

bread's done
Back