Heavenly Sword PS3 15.99 Free Shipping Newegg

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#31 romeogbs19

romeogbs19

Henshin A Go-Go Baby!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:42 AM

I agree with this man to an extreme. I actually bought Enslaved because I knew Ninja Theory had made Heavenly Sword and Andy Serkis was again on board as a main character. And boy was putting faith in them a mistake.

I played Enslaved expecting SO much more in terms of QUALITY set by Heavenly Sword. On PS3 expect plenty of graphical problems, sound desyncing, horrible texture pop in even in cutscenes, a less than realized world/universe which also pours over to story and characters.

Gameplay itself was no better than expected and nothing particularly new. Platform traversal has virtually no risk as its all on rails. And with that you have little fear and/or reward in making jumps/climbs. Really makes doing the platforming in the game a chore and pointless.

But man did the performance of the game just leave a bad taste in my mouth throughout the entire game with frame rate issues, texture problems, screen tearing. Really makes you wish they had more time to work on it.

The animation and mo-cap fared far better in Heavenly Sword, but it perhaps complimented the already amazing characters.

To say that Enslaved is better than Heavenly Sword is totally ludicrous.

Absolutely disagree. Heavenly Sword was not a bad game but it felt like an unfinished product and a clearly stretched, paperthin gaming experience. Sure, the game had ~30 minutes of awesome cutscenes, but the gameplay was basically one room to the next, kill the baddies, and then proceed to the next room. Oh, and spend way too much time firing a canon with forced six-axis functionality.

Enslaved was leaps and bounds better than Heavenly Sword. The game showed Ninja Theory learned from its predecessor. The dynamic between Trip and Monkey was well played and the relationship gave stronger meaning to the gameplay. I wasn't a great fan of the story and in this sense, I felt Ninja Theory just ran out of money and time, similar to H.S., but in every way Enslaved was an improvement. Longer, more fleshed out game; more interesting, diverse levels, and stunning visual design.

Heavenly Sword was a nice experiment and it proved Ninja Theory could make a good game. Enslaved took everything to the next step. I'm hopeful DMC will finally show Ninja Theory capitalizing on all fronts.

If you haven't played Enslaved, pick it up. At the prices it goes at, it's well worth it, easily moreso than Heavenly Sword.

#32 ShadyAve

ShadyAve

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:51 AM

It has to be less than $10 for me to bite.

#33 INMATEofARKHAM

INMATEofARKHAM

Looking for my padded cell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:56 AM

The last boss is too hard though. I just kinda gave up a few years ago. Enslaved was much better.

Wow, I'll keep far away from it as Enslaved was absolute trash in my opinion.

(That and I refuse to give Sony any money for a game they published yet didn't bother to patch trophies into.)

#34 jedi_sentinel

jedi_sentinel

Posted 06 December 2011 - 03:14 PM

You're safe. There is no greatest hits version.

The last boss is too hard though. I just kinda gave up a few years ago. Enslaved was much better.

I did too until I learned you can return the Orange attacks as well as the Blue ones. You just hold the heavy attack down while you do it. He's a pushover once you master this and the stupid QTEs. Good luck. Excellent game.

#35 jkam

jkam

Smash It Up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2011 - 03:21 PM

I got this a while back for $4.99 at one of the Sony stores since they had it on clearance. It was definitely worth that! I would have paid more as it was a great game. The last boss was annoying. I like Enslaved as well. The crazy part is I made money when I resold the game.

jkam2.png

Quitter (My Band)    -    Trade List    -    Join Bing Rewards

#36 strait edge follower

strait edge follower

Cult of personality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2011 - 03:25 PM

Still have my mint launch day copy and I don't regret paying 60$ for it.
Currently playing
:ps4: infamous first light, fez, strider, blacklight retribution, mlb 14, the transistor, assassins creed black flag :wiiu: new super mario bros u, zelda ww hd

games recently beaten: :ps4: lego marvel, contrast, watch dogs, infamous second son, killzone shadowfall, murdered soul suspect

690739.png

#37 cheapnpoor

cheapnpoor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2011 - 03:33 PM

For Heavenly Sword, I couldn't memorize the whole list of combos, and it's annoying to pause the game and look at the list. I just button mash my way through the game.

Is it just me or anyone else have the same issue?

#38 strait edge follower

strait edge follower

Cult of personality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2011 - 03:42 PM

For Heavenly Sword, I couldn't memorize the whole list of combos, and it's annoying to pause the game and look at the list. I just button mash my way through the game.

I would just do a certain set of moves during each new chapter so by the later parts of the game I memorised them all. I've also played it numerous times so that helps to lol
Currently playing
:ps4: infamous first light, fez, strider, blacklight retribution, mlb 14, the transistor, assassins creed black flag :wiiu: new super mario bros u, zelda ww hd

games recently beaten: :ps4: lego marvel, contrast, watch dogs, infamous second son, killzone shadowfall, murdered soul suspect

690739.png

#39 aus_nacht

aus_nacht

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2011 - 03:47 PM

HOLY CRAP! THAT HOT TUB WAS A TIME MACHINE!!! Because it must be 2008 when this was a deal.
"Just a heads up: we're gonna have a superconductor turned up full blast and pointed at you for the duration of this next test. I'll be honest - we're throwing science at the wall here to see what sticks. No idea what it'll do. Probably nothing. Best-case scenario, you might get some superpowers. Worst case, some tumors, which we'll cut out. " - C. Johnson

#40 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2011 - 03:51 PM

I did too until I learned you can return the Orange attacks as well as the Blue ones. You just hold the heavy attack down while you do it. He's a pushover once you master this and the stupid QTEs. Good luck. Excellent game.

Yeah, the toughest thing to learn is that you can return his blasts. Once you know that (and can get the timing down consistantly), he's a lot easier to handle.

I never bothered to memorize the combos much, considering that there are standard patterns to follow that do the job. I never quite knew what move I was doing half the time, but I knew I was doing a move.
Posted Image

#41 nixmahn

nixmahn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:02 PM

Hey guys I've been looking for this game for a while, usually it wouldn't go lower than 27.99 anywhere, but newegg.com has it for 15.99 now with free shipping, maybe a temporary price drop, links below:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16879261027

I've seen it at 19.99 or 14.99 stickers in the bargin bin @ BB when ever they have had copies and usually they had plenty until all were sold and then get more later on, usually around the holidays.

Have 3 demo SSB codes for trade. Already have last 6 Club Nintendo Wii U eshop games from Club Nintendo. Will take any Wii U eshop game codes I don't already have or Non CN 3DS eshop code.

Check My Trade List
http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=276079

#42 Demise_Angel

Demise_Angel

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:45 PM

I bought this for $20 3 black fridays ago and still have it sealed....lol

#43 MPoWeRM3

MPoWeRM3

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:18 PM

I agree with this man to an extreme. I actually bought Enslaved because I knew Ninja Theory had made Heavenly Sword and Andy Serkis was again on board as a main character. And boy was putting faith in them a mistake.

I played Enslaved expecting SO much more in terms of QUALITY set by Heavenly Sword. On PS3 expect plenty of graphical problems, sound desyncing, horrible texture pop in even in cutscenes, a less than realized world/universe which also pours over to story and characters.

Gameplay itself was no better than expected and nothing particularly new. Platform traversal has virtually no risk as its all on rails. And with that you have little fear and/or reward in making jumps/climbs. Really makes doing the platforming in the game a chore and pointless.

But man did the performance of the game just leave a bad taste in my mouth throughout the entire game with frame rate issues, texture problems, screen tearing. Really makes you wish they had more time to work on it.

The animation and mo-cap fared far better in Heavenly Sword, but it perhaps complimented the already amazing characters.

To say that Enslaved is better than Heavenly Sword is totally ludicrous.

I agree with you. This studio makes good motion captures but can barely sustain the minimum 30 fps, let alone 60fps where this genre should be and has been. When it comes to gameplay, both of their games are just God of War clones, as HS was even considered Goddess of War. That said, I acutally enjoyed HS more than GOW as far as gameplay go because it actually has some difficulty at times where as GOW, you can button mash through the whole game, for every game in the series.

Both HS and Enslaved have great art style and should be applaud for. But I play games for gameplay and the true crowns in the genre are the Ninja Gaiden series and Bayonetta. Both use technical combat as their core gameplay, cannot be button mashed, no to very mininal QTE's, and 60 fps.

Also, I'm not holding my breath for their DMC reboot, as footage so far look pretty bleh with their trademark low framerates.

#44 SuppaMan

SuppaMan

Would you kindly..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:01 PM

I agree with you. This studio makes good motion captures but can barely sustain the minimum 30 fps, let alone 60fps where this genre should be and has been. When it comes to gameplay, both of their games are just God of War clones, as HS was even considered Goddess of War. That said, I acutally enjoyed HS more than GOW as far as gameplay go because it actually has some difficulty at times where as GOW, you can button mash through the whole game, for every game in the series.

Both HS and Enslaved have great art style and should be applaud for. But I play games for gameplay and the true crowns in the genre are the Ninja Gaiden series and Bayonetta. Both use technical combat as their core gameplay, cannot be button mashed, no to very mininal QTE's, and 60 fps.

Also, I'm not holding my breath for their DMC reboot, as footage so far look pretty bleh with their trademark low framerates.

Exactly. Enslaved did nothing. It took Uncharted's jumping and made it even more simplified and still had the same combat from HS/GoW/etc except I found it even less varied due to the fact HS you at least had three stances and were forced to use them all correctly at times to move on.

All Enslaved did was arguably add worse graphics (again considering the advancements in the timeframe of console span here), change the story/setting, overly simplified platforming, and simplified the combat even further.

Enslaved was horribly overrated by people. Heavenly Sword was probably scored right, but didn't get the cache among the gaming community it probably deserved.

The big factor in looking at what I'm saying also lies in the fact the dates the games were released. Taken in context, Enslaved was a standstill if not a step back.

Heavenly Sword was a fun, quick toss-away GoW style game with a next-gen approach in story-telling. The graphics for the most part were great, the music was very well done, and the story/setting and approach to that in the game were quite a leap forward. The gameplay was largely average but not terrible.

They basically stood still in design if not got worse in the time span between that and Enslaved. The rest of the gaming world moved forward in that time table, Ninja Theory did not.

But again, if you remotely enjoyed Enslaved, like GoW style action games and/or love story based single player games, it's worth one playthrough.

#45 kitsunisan

kitsunisan

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:15 PM

Thanks OP. So tempted to get this, it's on my list of games to get when they're $10 or less.

Spend the extra $5, trust us.

#46 KneeKnee

KneeKnee

Trophy Whore

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:17 PM

Game is great, got it on release. Flying Fox is one of the best (creepy) characters I have ever seen.

KneeKnee.png

#47 strait edge follower

strait edge follower

Cult of personality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:26 PM

Game is great, got it on release. Flying Fox is one of the best (creepy) characters I have ever seen.

Him, whiptail, roach (poor guy) and Bohan were all great antagonists
Currently playing

690739.png

#48 SuppaMan

SuppaMan

Would you kindly..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:52 AM

Him, whiptail, roach (poor guy) and Bohan were all great antagonists

I definitely thought the characters were well done in Heavenly Sword. I do think though that Flying Fox and Bohan stood above the rest as far as antagonists go and were pretty memorable villians from this generation of gaming.