PlayStation 3D Display Bundle - $299.99 at Best Buy

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
125 replies to this topic

#61 Enuf

Enuf

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:05 AM

It's a great price but that 24 inches is kinda disappointing. I wish Sony offered different levels of models like a 24, maybe a 32, and so on.

yeah, when I ask the Sony rep at BB he knew his $hit but said the cost that would want people to pay would be $1200-$1400 for a 32"-37" & $1800-$2500 for 42"-47". But my response to him was people will pay for quality if there's enough perceived value. Yeah, there's sub $1000 42" tv's but not with all the other features & with such a small screen you completely alienate a larger portion of people who might actually splurge on it.

wow. Between the move firesales and this 3D TV price bomba, sony really isn't having a great holiday for their 3D/Move push.

The more they sell the more than try to convince devs to put effort into games for it. It only takes 1 game then you know other will copycat just look at the dance/music/FPS/seguel fest this year. If they can get a top notch AAA move title using a Sony exclusive character along with a unique way to implement move that'll be the start. Move heroes was to be the casual game to start it all but it wasn't

This
Give me a 32" version with good remote and tuner for $500 and I'd be game

yes please:wave:

#62 hiamiyumi

hiamiyumi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:15 AM

Can this tv use with new Sony ps3 remote?

#63 Flappycack

Flappycack

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:22 AM

Yes, I have both.

#64 JediKiller24

JediKiller24

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:27 AM

Yes, I picked up the new remote for $15 with the monitor/ps3 bundle at best buy last week, and it works great with the tv. (It's listed right on the box as being for the 3d display too)

Also, confirmed what I had read from an earlier poster, took my receipt back to Best Buy, and got $107 refund from buying the bundle with the PS3 last week. So the display with the PS3 (got the Harry Potter bundle) for $499. much happier with that price.

#65 caltab

caltab

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:34 AM

Also, confirmed what I had read from an earlier poster, took my receipt back to Best Buy, and got $107 refund from buying the bundle with the PS3 last week. So the display with the PS3 (got the Harry Potter bundle) for $499. much happier with that price.

Damn, nice deal. Makes me wonder if I should go back to the best buy that still had last weeks sign up for 150 off ps3 with the display and try and get them to give me that price. Kind of hoping amazon will have it at 499 though before xmas.

#66 Mana Knight

Mana Knight

Posted 13 December 2011 - 02:09 AM

I took a picture today of my TV after I unboxed it.
Spoiler

I will say that it seemed bigger than I expected. To warn those with larger heads, the 3D glasses may fit very tight (I have a skinny head so it doesn't matter). I tried playing MotorStorm Apocalypse (my original copy since I already owned the game) and Sonic Generations. MotorStorm Apocalypse was amazing just how everything popped out. Sonic Generations was pretty cool too, but took a little adjusting to get the 3D setting I want (Sonic moving fast can make it tricky). Once I try out all my 3D games (I have a bunch) and get another pair of 3D glasses (and invite a CAG friend over), I may blog my full detailed impressions of the display.
Posted Image

#67 Rai Rai

Rai Rai

Titanfall DLC #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2011 - 02:17 AM

'Dat reflection

#68 Radewagon

Radewagon

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2011 - 02:47 AM

In case you guys are curious, I did a pretty thorough review of this display a few weeks back.

Link

#69 grrouchie

grrouchie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2011 - 02:53 AM

I want this but I can't think of a good reason why I should get it.

Sure, I want to watch some 3d movies and play some 3d games, but when I have a tv twice as big sitting in the same room and I'm getting old and going blind for all that masturbating I did as a kid - I just don't see why I should be looking at a 24" tv.
2013 Spending Tab

2013 Completed Games Tab

Follow me on twitter

Read my blog
That I update too often.

#70 Marauder7

Marauder7

FF14 Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:07 AM

Would love to have this in our bedroom but already got a 22 Samsung for our bedroom using our miles and my desk only fits a 21.5. Maybe if this drops to 299 and includes an extra pair of glasses I may pull the trigger and give my Samsung to my sister.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#71 Fatbot3

Fatbot3

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:10 AM

In case you guys are curious, I did a pretty thorough review of this display a few weeks back.

Link

Great review! I might consider this if we ever decide to get another bedroom TV.

#72 dmdragon

dmdragon

Likes PIE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:29 AM

24" led with no remote or tv tuner. Hmm, pass.

I don't care if it has simulview. My 55" lcd probably STILL has a bigger viewing area than the whole 24" with each person having their own screen.

I love the tech, but they should have really thrown it on a 46" or something also for 1k and give people options. I bet a 47" at 1k would sell way better than the 24" at 500, and not cost them too much more to make.

By the way, with all the 24" is too small talk, has anyone said "That's what she said" yet?

Edited by dmdragon, 13 December 2011 - 04:48 AM.

#73 kixelsid

kixelsid

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:20 AM

Any idea how this would compare to the LG DM2350D-PUM the 250$ 3d monitor? I ordered the LG but its backordered for a few weeks. If the the Playstation Display is better I'll get that instead. This will be used for my PS3 and a secondary monitor.

#74 Logical Dolphin

Logical Dolphin

TIME PARADOX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:59 AM

Any idea how this would compare to the LG DM2350D-PUM the 250$ 3d monitor? I ordered the LG but its backordered for a few weeks. If the the Playstation Display is better I'll get that instead. This will be used for my PS3 and a secondary monitor.

I would get the LG monitor, because it has more features like 2D to 3D conversion, and it uses the passive 3D technology. The only thing I like about the Sony display is that is has the glossy screen, where the LG does not.

I'm amazed that this LG TV has dropped so fast, and it proves that a smaller 3DTV can sell for much less than what Sony is charging.

#75 InvaderZim

InvaderZim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:44 PM

To me, none of that matters. It's 24"...stupid small. Waste of money at almost any price.

And this is the problem... no matter what the specs of this set are - it's too small.

I am sure that the small design team playing in small r&d centers in Japan thought it was adequate for play in small Japanese apartments - but they messed up.

#76 rjejr

rjejr

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:09 PM

Some points I'ld like to make after researching this thing the past few months.

1. The price is comparable when compared to other 3D monitors. Not great, but Sony always marks their stuff up like Apple b/c they're Sony and they can. This has a built in sub woofer as well.
2. I have never ever seen Sony advertise this as a tv. Not in ads or on the blog. They always say "display". Considering every screen in the past 50 years has been advertised as a "tv" or "monitor" Sony may have created it's own "display" category with this device to get around both PC monitor and tv regulations - no tv tuner or remote or whatever a computer monitor requires.
3. I agree with the guy who said small screens are great for FPS but Skyrim is best on a big screen tv. I don't recall every add I've seen but they do focus on FPS, not Ratchet and Clank.
4. The screen is too small for dual-view. Great idea, but nobody can game that close together.
5. This is obviously made as a PS3 "display" so I would be surprised if a built in PS3 isn't forthcoming. Maybe after the PS4 comes out. (I hadn't actually thought of this before but it beats my idea of simply making this a "smart' tv w/ web access.)
6. My wife was just saying the other day we might have to get ours sons - 6 and 9 - their own tvs soon so we can have our 52" set to ourselves. I think thats who this "display" is aimed for, teen boys bedrooms and dorms. If you pay your own rent this probably isn't for you.

#77 EDiTOR9

EDiTOR9

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:27 PM

I'll consider it for my office when it hits 275 or below :)

#78 Horns

Horns

CAG Marketplace

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:10 PM

I don't know if you guys know about SimulView, but the SimulView feature only works with 4 games. Those 4 games are Motorstorm Apocalypse, Gran Turismo 5, Killzone 3 and Super Stardust 3D.

This is unconfirmed, but I read somewhere that when sharing a SimulView screen you're viewing it in 3D glasses, but you're getting a normal 2D picture, not 3D. It doesn't do two 3D displays at the same time.

http://us.playstatio...simul-view.html
CML

#79 caltab

caltab

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:18 PM

This is unconfirmed, but I read somewhere that when sharing a SimulView screen you're viewing it in 3D glasses, but you're getting a normal 2D picture, not 3D. It doesn't do two 3D displays at the same time.

This is correct. They have demo units at best buy that show off the simulview in a video of motorstorm. It works very well and Best Buy markets this aspect of the display more than anything.

#80 smiggity

smiggity

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:55 PM

I don't know if you guys know about SimulView, but the SimulView feature only works with 4 games. Those 4 games are Motorstorm Apocalypse, Gran Turismo 5, Killzone 3 and Super Stardust 3D.

LOL. Typical Sony hype something up, and then barely support the product! Every "accessory" they have ever made has been the same story. And yes I do consider this display an accessory

#81 KevinMassacre

KevinMassacre

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:52 PM

The viewing angles on this thing are HORRIBLE. It takes a bit of time trying to figure out where to sit to get the perfect 3d effect. I was also interested in the LG because of the price. Its not as nice as the PS3 display, IMO.

Edited by KevinMassacre, 13 December 2011 - 10:53 PM.
spelling

Posted Image

#82 Drathu

Drathu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:32 AM

The viewing angles on this thing are HORRIBLE. It takes a bit of time trying to figure out where to sit to get the perfect 3d effect. I was also interested in the LG because of the price. Its not as nice as the PS3 display, IMO.

Viewing angle is horrible on the LG or PS3 display?

#83 Drathu

Drathu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:35 AM

499 :shame:
399 :-k
299 :pray:

#84 AsstronautJones

AsstronautJones

bang bang what's the hang

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:36 AM

499 =;

Exactly how I feel about it.

#85 JediKiller24

JediKiller24

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:36 AM

The best buy I was at today still had the sign out from last weak saying 150 bucks off Playstation 3 with purchase, I'm sure it was a mistake though.

Just got back from picking up my Saints Row the third order, and noticed the signs for the $150 off the PS3 were still up at my store too....could it still be active? (didn't ask at the store, there was no one readily available and since I bought it last week, I wasn't going to track someone down over it. Figured if it's not still valid I wasn't going to bring it their attention in case someone tried to get the deal honored since the sign is up...)

#86 caltab

caltab

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:54 AM

Just got back from picking up my Saints Row the third order, and noticed the signs for the $150 off the PS3 were still up at my store too....could it still be active? (didn't ask at the store, there was no one readily available and since I bought it last week, I wasn't going to track someone down over it. Figured if it's not still valid I wasn't going to bring it their attention in case someone tried to get the deal honored since the sign is up...)

Im pretty sure its not still valid, it doesnt show up on their website. I dont think I want the deal THAT bad to haggle with best buy for it. Ill just keep on waiting for a deal at the new price point.

#87 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:17 AM

499 :shame:

$199 or less\\:D/:whee:

That's MY pricepoint on this overpriced bitch.:razz: Now if they threw a PS3 in at $299, I might consider it.:booty:

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#88 Kniq

Kniq

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:21 AM

sorry i didn't read through all the posts in case someone else also mentioned this but...

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16879261314

also 399 on newegg. doesnt seem like it's time to bite.

#89 KevinMassacre

KevinMassacre

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:07 AM

Viewing angle is horrible on the LG or PS3 display?

the LG has bad viewing angles
Posted Image

#90 Logical Dolphin

Logical Dolphin

TIME PARADOX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:21 AM

the LG has bad viewing angles

Do you feel the same way about the larger LG 3D displays? I found that they had pretty good viewing angles. Since this smaller display is using simular technology as the big one, I would think it should be simular...