[Closed] Apple iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) -- Ongoing Sales

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4618 replies to this topic

#3181 Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:32 PM

I'm always wary of 'free' apps that have always been or launch as free.

Cannon Cat is awesome. A lot of fun.

I'm not sure which part you're replying to, but dominion doesn't have an official app yet, does it?

Magic doesn't either, yet.

I was merely mentioning Dominion since it's the start of the modern deckbuilding genre, and I didn't want it to feel left out.

#3182 shyawayfantom

shyawayfantom

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:37 PM

I thought the Dominion app wasn't "official" but was sort of sanctioned by the company since they are credited and the app creator isn't profiting from it. In either case, the one in the market for free is fantastic.

#3183 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:53 PM

Played two missions in Pocket RPG, really cool game.

#3184 McTwitch5

McTwitch5

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:19 PM

Right, because it's so easy to pick up a specific emotion just through text. Everyone knows you are just jokester, right? But hey, now that you have seen my avatar and quote, it's good to hear that you finally learned something.

Thanks for making my point for me... As you say, it is difficult to recognize emotion/sarcasm through text. So - why go off on someone and ASSUME the negative. Then again, your Avatar/ID, coupled with your responses, make it very clear as to what kind of emotion you wish to convey.

#3185 Zeeb

Zeeb

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:38 PM

I'm always wary of 'free' apps that have always been or launch as free.

That's right.

Although I've had many good hours with Drop7.

Also I would encourage reviewers (and the app store ideally) to use the word 'demo' when a game has IAPs.

Such games are not 'free'.

Calling them 'free' is 1984 style new-speak.

I remember playing the demo of Quake back in the day - it was rightly called a demo and contained a large chunk of the game.

I downloaded the 'free' and hohum game, "The Dictator' yesterday, but it pretty quickly wanted money for IAPs.

Free is free and demos is demos.

#3186 envelopes

envelopes

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:41 PM

That's right.

Although I've had many good hours with Drop7.

Also I would encourage reviewers (and the app store ideally) to use the word 'demo' when a game has IAPs.

Such games are not 'free'.

Calling them 'free' is 1984 style new-speak.

I remember playing the demo of Quake back in the day - it was rightly called a demo and contained a large chunk of the game.

I downloaded the 'free' and hohum game, "The Dictator' yesterday, but it pretty quickly wanted money for IAPs.

Free is free and demos is demos.

This is apple's fault. If they had in place IN THE APP STORE a way to "download demo" and then later "buy game" then this wouldn't happen. Originally there was not IAP (oh I miss those days) and the store was cluttered with "free" versions. And if you liked it you'd have to start all over if you bought the real version. Now at least you keep your progress. But they can't exactly call ghost trick app a demo if you can turn it into the full game.

#3187 Stimes

Stimes

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:42 PM

Infinity Blade is back down to a dollar for the second time this month.
http://appshopper.co.../infinity-blade

#3188 WTPolaris

WTPolaris

Atypically Typical

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:14 PM

Whomever posted about Ascension, thanks, that game is great, I've been playing it whenever I can all day, it's a lot of fun and has me interested in other deck building games.

Is the expansion worth it? I think I'll get it but since it's three times as much as the base game, I was wondering if the content in it was worth the price. I wish the game had a more substantial story mode too, but it's still a solid game without it.

#3189 Multicron

Multicron

Extreme OCD Victim

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:28 PM

Re: ascension. The expansion iS definitely worth it. If you want some reviews of the card version, go over to boardgamegeek.com and check it out.

#3190 Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:46 PM

Re: ascension. The expansion iS definitely worth it. If you want some reviews of the card version, go over to boardgamegeek.com and check it out.

The expansion adds a lot of interesting cards. Definitely worth it.

#3191 Frithsblessing

Frithsblessing

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:43 AM

Whomever posted about Ascension, thanks, that game is great, I've been playing it whenever I can all day, it's a lot of fun and has me interested in other deck building games.

Is the expansion worth it? I think I'll get it but since it's three times as much as the base game, I was wondering if the content in it was worth the price. I wish the game had a more substantial story mode too, but it's still a solid game without it.

He might as well introduced us to crack. I can't put the game down.

#3192 seraph011

seraph011

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:46 AM

Yeah....Ascension is awesome! THought at first it was a bit deceiving because I thought you can "make" your own deck and play against the computer. Well, after playing a few games, Im hooked!

#3193 seraph011

seraph011

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:46 AM

the expansion is probably worth it but I'll try to enjoy the main game first and hopefully be able to get the expansion if it goes on sale... ^^

#3194 WTPolaris

WTPolaris

Atypically Typical

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:06 AM

I broke down and bought it, it does add about 90 new and interesting cards to the game. I'm not sure why the game is so compelling, I think park of it is that games can be finished realtively quickly, the strategy is just enough to keep me thinking but not so much that I feel overwhelmed or frustrated because I can't get the damn mana card I need, etc..

It's a bit expensive but if you're enjoying it at all past a few hours, I say pick it up.

Maybe we should get a game or two going on here over GameCenter, sounds like a lot of people picked this up this weekend.

Also, one quick question, is there a third tier of difficulty? I may be having a derp moment but I can only seem to switch between the green(1 bar = easy?) and yellow(2 bars = medium?) settings and it seems like there should be a third "hard" setting with three bars but i can't seem to toggle it at all. Am I just missing how to do that?

#3195 Dimsdale

Dimsdale

OpenFeint: Dimms

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:22 AM

Zombie Caves is the main FAAD game right now.
"Every zombie must die! Enter their caves and kill everything that moves including giant pet spiders, deadly bosses, the Spider Queen and Zombie King. You have awesome zombie bursting guns to play with, so let the hunt begin and enjoy!"

Continuing the undead theme, Shoot Many Zombies! is the current OpenFeint FGotD.
"Shoot ManyZombies is a cross-action adventure game. It will bring you to a new world of shock and terror."

#3196 mrsamsa

mrsamsa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:10 PM

Also, one quick question, is there a third tier of difficulty? I may be having a derp moment but I can only seem to switch between the green(1 bar = easy?) and yellow(2 bars = medium?) settings and it seems like there should be a third "hard" setting with three bars but i can't seem to toggle it at all. Am I just missing how to do that?

Looks like it hasn't been implemented.

ALSO: I made a gamecenter ID drop thread specifically for board games - http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=320341

#3197 Chemosh013

Chemosh013

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:16 PM

7th Guest is on sale today. Down to $2.99 from $4.99.

ach.png

#3198 Multicron

Multicron

Extreme OCD Victim

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

the expansion is probably worth it but I'll try to enjoy the main game first and hopefully be able to get the expansion if it goes on sale... ^^

Do in-app purchases ever go on sale? If so, where do you find out about that? I don't think AppShopper tracks IAP.

#3199 crookshow

crookshow

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:42 PM

Didn't see this posted, but Blade Dash is currently free. It's an endless runner with retro looking graphics. Pretty fun. It's been free since Saturday, and I think it was only supposed to last a day so act fast.

http://itunes.apple....d482035482?mt=8

Fantasy Runners is another neat endless runner with lite RPG mechanics. I actually spent $1 on this one a while ago and didn't regret it so definitely check it out for free.

http://itunes.apple....d477970578?mt=8

EDIT: sorry, Time Ducks is no longer free. That didn't last long at all. Didn't even show up on Appshopper. Oh well.

#3200 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:54 PM

Do in-app purchases ever go on sale? If so, where do you find out about that? I don't think AppShopper tracks IAP.

There's nothing that tracks those that I'm aware of, unfortunately. Sometimes they do go on sale. I usually find out because somebody says here, or if you let an app send you notifications usually they will tell you about the sale via a notification. Of course they might also send you junk, but in the case of Ascension they don't do that and you need notifications on for online play anyway.

Crunchewy.png

#3201 EDiTOR9

EDiTOR9

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:12 PM

Any of you use a navigation app? I'm torn between Navigon, Garmin & TomTom. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

#3202 mrsamsa

mrsamsa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:23 PM

Time Ducks is free. It's GREAT. it loosk totally insane, but the gameplay is solid line-drawing with a matching element: http://itunes.apple....d481310810?mt=8

#3203 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:02 PM

Any of you use a navigation app? I'm torn between Navigon, Garmin & TomTom. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I have used Navigon and TomTom and have settled on TomTom for quite a while, mostly happily. However it is not perfect. My main beef with it is when setting up a route, you can't zoom in on the map to see if it's what you want, nor is there any way to easily adjust the route via a map. But it almost always gets me where I want to be. Every once in a while I run into a route that proves faulty, but mostly it works well. Still, I am curious about whether Garmin is better, so would like to hear from people on that. Navigon seemed to often send me close to, but not actually to, my destination, so I was unhappy with it. However it may depend on where you are. Maybe there's locations where TomTom sucks too. In the mean time I keep hoping that Apple will put together a killer Maps replacement, which I'm sure is coming. I just hope it has full offline maps too, like TomTom and such.

Also I grabbed Time Ducks. Thanks for the heads up.

Crunchewy.png

#3204 Romeo

Romeo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:08 PM

Time Ducks is free. It's GREAT. it loosk totally insane, but the gameplay is solid line-drawing with a matching element: http://itunes.apple....d481310810?mt=8

This...?

http://appshopper.com/games/time-ducks

If so, that was never free.

#3205 sadunk

sadunk

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:23 PM

Waze is free and so is MapQuest. They both do turn by turn.

I tried TomTom but didn't like that it tried to sound out the name of the road. Navigon tells you make the 2nd left. I'm sure there might be settings in TomTom but I didn't use it enough.

#3206 apinunw

apinunw

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:35 PM

This...?

http://appshopper.com/games/time-ducks

If so, that was never free.

It's free now

#3207 danhoo

danhoo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:37 PM

I tried TomTom but didn't like that it tried to sound out the name of the road. Navigon tells you make the 2nd left. I'm sure there might be settings in TomTom but I didn't use it enough.

Mapquest requires internet access to work, right? I can't remember if Waze does also.

For offline, there's also NavFree GPS, which is honestly not great, but it's free.

#3208 Stimes

Stimes

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:14 PM

I paid a dollar for Time Ducks, it's good, get it while it's free if you can.

#3209 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:28 PM

I'm curious why you wouldn't want to hear the street name, but yeah, you can switch the voice to one that doesn't speak street names.

Mostly it does a good job, but occasionally you come across a funny pronunciation... which is entertaining. :)

Crunchewy.png

#3210 Chemosh013

Chemosh013

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:34 PM

I'm curious why you wouldn't want to hear the street name, but yeah, you can switch the voice to one that doesn't speak street names.

Mostly it does a good job, but occasionally you come across a funny pronunciation... which is entertaining. :)

We always loved our Garmin pronouncing "Bundy Dr. South" as "Bundy Doctor South."

ach.png