Photo
- - - - -

Need tips on interviewing for jobs

• Please log in to reply
177 replies to this topic

#31 Mana Knight

Mana Knight

Posted 17 December 2011 - 03:29 AM

I'm super tired right now, but I had an interesting job interview day. Let's say that I drove down to VA (3 1/2 hours away from where I live) on Thursday. Got a nice hotel paid for and everything (my third time I stayed down there because it's my third time interviewing with the company). One Hiring Manager wanted to speak with me after seeing my resume. But before I met him, I met the recruiter in HR. She asked me if I had time because there was a second hiring manager that wanted to speak with me in another department (since I applied for the job just under two weeks ago, and he was wanting to bring me down for an interview, but I was already down there today). I went ahead and did it. After having two interviews and returning to HR to send me off, I was told a third department/hiring manager wanted to interview me. So I ended up leaving really late having three interviews.

Each interview was quite different. First one did ask me to tell them about myself, and explained how some things in his area really were (just so I wouldn't be surprised). Honestly, I feel I bombed the question because I didn't explain it how I wanted and came up short, but everything else was okay. Second manager gave me a massive overview of the area, then went through the standard interview process (he seemed to be the manager I got along with the best). Third manager (along with a fourth one who was there) had the position that seemed like the best fit for me overall. Only issue with that interview was that they couldn't go as long as needed because HR was closing at 4pm. Funny because I was worried about interviewing others later, yet I felt I did better as the day went on.

On top of all those interviews, I drove all the way back home (4 hour drive from the company) in the dark/rain (next to no light). Eh, I just want to relax now.

Some things CAGs mentioned did help (like on questions to ask). I won't find out until early January. I could have three job offers, or I could end up with nothing.
Posted Image

#32 Invicta 61

Invicta 61

Gabagool, Provalone and vinegar peppers

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2011 - 06:26 AM

Being interviewed by three different people for one company sounds pretty promising. Good luck.
Bah weep granah weep nini bong.

And now I present Kate Upton doing the Cat Daddy:

Spoiler

#33 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 17 December 2011 - 06:58 PM

Being interviewed by three different people for one company sounds pretty promising. Good luck.

This right here. Keep us posted!
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

This is the greatest thing ever. Certainly in the OTT at least.

#34 Mana Knight

Mana Knight

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:47 AM

Yes and no. I could get up to three job offers, or I could get none. My least favorite position (strictly because I would maybe have to work 2nd shift, but the pay would be great) sent me an email back after the thank you letter. They said very good things about me and that they only have to interview one more person. They said I was high on their list.

Quite honestly, my situation is a bit tough. I LOVE Baltimore (and DC area) a lot and wish I could stay here the rest of my life (I came from Indiana where I hated it all these years). I made several new friends, have an awesome barber (I'm picky with my haircut), love being near several anime conventions (like Otakon), near a few mountain resorts (for snowboarding), and so on. However, cost of living sure does suck out here and I want a better job. The area I interviewed is just over 3 hours away and doesn't have as much fun stuff, but at least cost of living is much cheaper giving me more out of my paycheck and puts my career in a great position. It's really a choice between comfort or advancing my career, but I'm likely choosing advancing my career leaving everything behind.
Posted Image

#35 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:54 AM

Got myself an interview tomorrow. Got word of it at like 4:30 PM today. This should be fun.... Not sure if I want this job, as it's with another CPA firm, but we'll see how it goes. It'll be just as much me interviewing them as they'll be interviewing me. One big perk though is that their office is just down the street from my husband's.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

#36 Mana Knight

Mana Knight

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:57 AM

Got myself an interview tomorrow. Got word of it at like 4:30 PM today. This should be fun.... Not sure if I want this job, as it's with another CPA firm, but we'll see how it goes. It'll be just as much me interviewing them as they'll be interviewing me. One big perk though is that their office is just down the street from my husband's.

That's good to hear. :D I've gotten calls too myself for jobs I can't say if I wanted. Glad you are doing the interview regardless. If it's nearby, I'll take any interview that's offered to me. I had some job interviews where I realized I would really like the job, ones where they liked me and figured I'd be a better fit elsewhere (where they keep me on my mind), and ones I realized I rather not be at.

Just try to do your best and don't make any decision until they give you an offer.

Good luck. :D
Posted Image

#37 nddave

nddave

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:20 AM

I would like first to say goodluck to both of you TMK and DOK.

Dont get down on yourself's its a very tough market. I really dont have anything constructive to say other than just keep chipping away and dont give up it will come to you.
CAG4LIFE

#38 Invicta 61

Invicta 61

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:53 AM

I came from Indiana where I hated it all these years.

LOL Indiana says hello.

A friend moved to Baltimore to work for a military manufacturer but the cost of living was prohibitive. He came back after a couple of years but he can do his job from home so he still works for the company.

Spoiler

#39 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 23 December 2011 - 12:18 AM

Interview went well. They seemed to like me and I'd expect an offer. They said they'll let me know sometime next week. Not sure if I'd accept though, they have probably the best perks of any CPA firm I've seen but it's a CPA firm, so I'd have to work 55+ hours a week for 3 months out of the year as usual. Don't know if I want to do that anymore.

Got an interview for a temp position with a big nonprofit here next week, and a recruiter called me about another company that wants to interview me. Weird how all this shit is coming at once, especially during the holidays.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

#40 Mana Knight

Mana Knight

Posted 23 December 2011 - 01:22 AM

Interview went well. They seemed to like me and I'd expect an offer. They said they'll let me know sometime next week. Not sure if I'd accept though, they have probably the best perks of any CPA firm I've seen but it's a CPA firm, so I'd have to work 55+ hours a week for 3 months out of the year as usual. Don't know if I want to do that anymore.

Got an interview for a temp position with a big nonprofit here next week, and a recruiter called me about another company that wants to interview me. Weird how all this shit is coming at once, especially during the holidays.

For me I either have nothing going on or too much. It's also weird because when I get rejected for a job, the next day I get a call or a new posting to something I want comes up.

Good luck.
Posted Image

#41 Invicta 61

Invicta 61

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:42 PM

Hear anything yet?

Spoiler

#42 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:25 PM

Personally I haven't. Had a couple interviews today as well.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

#43 starmask2k3

starmask2k3

CAG MASTER'S

• Trading Ban

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:36 PM

Do it like step Brothers

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=VZELzn6207c

#44 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:13 PM

So looks like I'll probably be getting an offer soon from the first place I interviewed with last week, per the recruiter who hooked me up with the interview. I still don't know if I want it though. The job would probably be awesome IF I wanted to stay in public accounting. It's close to my husband's job, I'd be driving and not taking the T (I partially blame the T for me getting sick so much at my last job), seems to be nice enough people/environment, probably going to be a good salary. But I so abhor the 3 month straight busy season required of public accounting, and my focus would not be on non-profit clients, which would be what I'd really want if I stayed in public.

I got some leads on some non-profit and eco-conscious organizations, but no solid interviews (except for a temp position phone interview that I was passed on for due to being overqualified; however, the organization says they are interested in me for a perm role), let alone offers, yet. It looks like most of these would take at least a month to materialize an offer if I even get that far. That's the stuff that I really want to work on though. However, the pay would likely be less, and I'd probably need to take the T into Boston, risking my health thanks to my shit immune system. I'm also really fucking bored having not worked for 2 months and want to start back pretty soon.

Anyone got any advice based on this? There are both pros and cons to each. Wondering if anyone on here has been in a similar situation....
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

#45 v1et r1ce

v1et r1ce

Formerly nikelecious91

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2012 - 02:43 AM

Okay I need help with an interview question. I have an interview in a few days for a intern/coop position. My school has a system set up where you're allowed to request a certain amount of interviews and then after a few weeks, any company that is interested in you will offer you an interview. Problem is, for this round, I was only offered ONE interview (I would say most students in my major average around 4-6). I believe I am qualified for the position but I myself am a very quiet person and have trouble "selling myself" in interviews.

That being said, the question I am dreading is "how many interviews do you have this round?". I'm afraid that when I tell them my only interview is with them, they will immediately mark me as a no for the position. Is there any way I should answer that question to make it sound as positive as possible?

#46 Mana Knight

Mana Knight

Posted 02 January 2012 - 02:56 AM

Hear anything yet?

Cannot access my email until I return to work later this week. Also, companies are shutdown during this time.
Posted Image

#47 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:09 AM

Cannot access my email until I return to work later this week. Also, companies are shutdown during this time.

....Why the Fuck wouldn't you use a personal email for your job search?
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

#48 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:47 AM

Yeah, never use a work email for job search stuff. Work emails aren't private and you're screwing ourself if someone is monitoring your email and see you're looking for another job.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#49 kube00

kube00

Keeping in Cheap since 2005

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:47 AM

I got a interview next week for IT desktop support, pretty much what I do now. The pluses are the pay range is much better, the potential job's starting pay is what I make now. Benefits are better and traveling to this place would be 30 mins roundtrip daily instead of 2-2 1/2 hrs round trip.

#50 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:19 AM

Yeah, never use a work email for job search stuff. Work emails aren't private and you're screwing ourself if someone is monitoring your email and see you're looking for another job.

I just have no idea what would possess someone to use their work email for a job search. It just makes no sense considering you can get email accounts for free within seconds.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

#51 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:54 AM

even if you are using a company email I would find it hard to believe that they don't have a setup that allow you to check email outside of office.

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

Looking for Danganronpa Anime Expo edition.  Please PM me if you have it for sale.

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#52 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:55 AM

Okay I need help with an interview question. I have an interview in a few days for a intern/coop position. My school has a system set up where you're allowed to request a certain amount of interviews and then after a few weeks, any company that is interested in you will offer you an interview. Problem is, for this round, I was only offered ONE interview (I would say most students in my major average around 4-6). I believe I am qualified for the position but I myself am a very quiet person and have trouble "selling myself" in interviews.

That being said, the question I am dreading is "how many interviews do you have this round?". I'm afraid that when I tell them my only interview is with them, they will immediately mark me as a no for the position. Is there any way I should answer that question to make it sound as positive as possible?

Be honest. Worst thing that can happen is if they found out you lied.

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

Looking for Danganronpa Anime Expo edition.  Please PM me if you have it for sale.

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#53 Invicta 61

Invicta 61

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:18 AM

They actually ask how many interviews you have? Maybe just say "this is my first interview".

Spoiler

#54 Mana Knight

Mana Knight

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:11 PM

even if you are using a company email I would find it hard to believe that they don't have a setup that allow you to check email outside of office.

Unless you are a manager with a Blackberry, we cannot check our emails unless we are logged in at work. Keep in mind this is for a government contractor (security is very tight).
Posted Image

#55 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:11 PM

Unless you are a manager with a Blackberry, we cannot check our emails unless we are logged in at work. Keep in mind this is for a government contractor (security is very tight).

But you didn't answer WHY you are using your work email for your job search! WRYYYYYYYY
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

#56 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:14 PM

TMK just seems to lack basic common sense. Sorry to be harsh on the dude, but that's been readily apparent over the years throughout his posts.

He's posted that his parents were uber-controlling, so maybe he was just too sheltered and is now having to figure out things and learn common sense the hard way now that he's out on his own.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#57 Mana Knight

Mana Knight

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:31 PM

But you didn't answer WHY you are using your work email for your job search! WRYYYYYYYY

My bad. For jobs internal to my company (or one that's linked to my company in some way like formally being a part of my company), my work email was automatically assigned to the career site. I just leave it that way. For any external jobs, I use a different email I have. The company I've been interviewing for use to be a part of my company, until we spun it off. But since the career sites are still liked, that's why my current work email is still being used. I wish I could split it up the emails, but can't because my email needs to be linked for the internal interviews (since they automatically set it up to my calendar).

My work email isn't listed anywhere on my resume for external positions I apply for.

TMK just seems to lack basic common sense. Sorry to be harsh on the dude, but that's been readily apparent over the years throughout his posts.

He's posted that his parents were uber-controlling, so maybe he was just too sheltered and is now having to figure out things and learn common sense the hard way now that he's out on his own.

Naw, I have many common senses and do quite well getting interviews.

The only thing I lack is knowledge on sexual topics, but that's a whole different story. :lol:

Keep in mind that I came to your previous area just as you left. :-P
Posted Image

#58 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:39 PM

Internal jobs/promotions are a different story and ok to use work e-mail.

I'd change it in the future for outside companies--doesn't matter that they used to be part of your company. They're a competitor now and you're higher ups seeing you're applying for jobs with the competition is a sure fire way to get passed up for promotions and raises, and to be at the top of the list if a round of layoffs comes up.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#59 Mana Knight

Mana Knight

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:45 PM

Internal jobs/promotions are a different story and ok to use work e-mail.

I'd change it in the future for outside companies--doesn't matter that they used to be part of your company. They're a competitor now and you're higher ups seeing you're applying for jobs with the competition is a sure fire way to get passed up for promotions and raises, and to be at the top of the list if a round of layoffs comes up.

Naw, the career sites are still together and not separate yet. Anything I update on one gets changed on the other. They still have all of our emails/contact info linked together on MS outlook and the phonebook. All charges and stuff still had my current company's name on it.

For my current position, there are ZERO promotions, raises (only goes by your time of service, once you reach 4 years you hit the max), or anything. Doesn't make a difference whether I do lots of work or no work. We have people that work in my area that don't understand anything or just clean air filters (because they can't figure stuff out) making more money than us who actually do work. If we had promotions, I'd be doing very well right now at my position because my supervisors like me way too much (part of the reason I worry they would say bad things about me because they don't want to lose me).

But for any outside company where career sites are totally separate, than yes I do use a personal email.
Posted Image

#60 v1et r1ce

v1et r1ce

Formerly nikelecious91

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:19 PM

Be honest. Worst thing that can happen is if they found out you lied.

Yeah I plan to be honest :D just wondering if there was a good way to explain why I only got 1...

They actually ask how many interviews you have? Maybe just say "this is my first interview".

I'm guessing they ask to see if other companies have as much interest in the student as they do. I would say I've been asked that question in the majority of interviews I've done through my school's program.

Edited by v1et r1ce, 02 January 2012 - 10:38 PM.