CAGcast #264: Our Favorite Games of 2011

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#31 trip1eX

trip1eX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:08 PM

If you guys follow up then cover favorite time wasters/ low budget games.

You know the cheaper smaller lower budget games. Stuff on ios or Live arcade or independent pc or low budget lower priced handheld/console games, etc.

#32 zoward

zoward

Poster boy for irresponsible gaming

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:58 PM

Great show. I liked the format, and it occurred to me while listening that it must be hard to get the pacing right to end up with a ~90 minute show (and not just for the awards show, but in general). Do you guys know more or less how long to talk about the topics to end up with around the right amount of material for a 90 minute show, or does Cheapy just edit out a bunch of stuff later?

I'm also surprised that Duke Nukem Forever didn't make anyone's "Disappointing" list...

#33 Khalid

Khalid

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:18 PM

Nice show of 2011! Great job Wombat.

#34 Kuromimi

Kuromimi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:50 PM

Awesome show guys! Thanks!
Posted Image

#35 AvidWriter

AvidWriter

The Fictioner

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:35 PM

Odd. It keeps getting interrupted when I try to download. Guess I'll try again later.

#36 my2k2zx2

my2k2zx2

Molly, Rockin the Doggles

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2011 - 01:02 AM

Gotta agree with Shipwreck on something. Heated mattress pads are awesome!!! Had ours for about a year now.
If its free, its for me!!

#37 Excast

Excast

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2011 - 01:16 AM

Excast, what facts and/or tangible material are you basing your opinion on? What about the game do you not like? All three of the guys had SKYRIM at #1 not to mention the fact that it got a 96 on metacritic! Basically, I'm failing to grasp where you are coming from with the "bait and switch" comment and I'm sure the guys would agree.

Here's how I know SKYRIM is a BAMF game . . . Shipwreck played over 115 games this year yet he has invested over 100 hours into SKYRIM which he claims to be "The best game he has ever played". I trust Shipwreck's opinion, do you?

I don't like the fact that it was shipped broken on PS3. I imagine the 3 of them are playing the 360 version, which does not have the same game breaking issues.

And yeah, the game did get a lot of high scores. Unfortunately, the severe PS3 framerate issues only appear many hours into the game. I imagine by that point many reviewers had already handed in their scores.

When I mention a bait and switch, I am referring to what Bethesda did during the review process. From everything I have seen and heard, review copies were nearly all from the 360. No PS3 copies were available for review. Why do you think this was? Maybe because Bethesda was aware of just how ugly things were on the PS3 version and didn't want negative press stifling sales of that version? It seems fairly obvious to me.

If a game is released this broken, it just isn't worthy of GOTY. That is just my honest opinion. Everybody else is entitled to their own.

#38 Gluteus

Gluteus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2011 - 01:26 AM

Great job on the format of the show, Wombat! It had a great flow (much better than "What's your top 5?"). Really enjoyed it, looking forward to part 2.
Gaming is all about having fun!

#39 meager

meager

mooseknuckle?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2011 - 04:41 AM

If a game is released this broken, it just isn't worthy of GOTY. That is just my honest opinion. Everybody else is entitled to their own.

I think the fact that they're still in the middle of playing the game is heavily influnencing their decision to name Skyrim #1. And probably the same with a lot of game journalists. I know I put it high on my list because I feel sorta obligated to justify that I've spent 3x as much time on the game as I have any other game this year. And that's even though I believe that it's a lesser game than Oblivion. I think what little they added to the franchise doesn't make up for what they took away, or failed to evolve.

Plus, for the CAGcast, you have to take in consideration the Wombat Factor. Wombat is a passionate player. He loves games while he plays them, but his true feelings surface after he steps away from them. Remember how much he gushed the first couple weeks he started playing Fable 3? A month later, he pretty much proclaimed it was a flaming turd of a game. That's probably a good reason to do these Best of Year Shows later rather than sooner. I mean, new Marvel Pinball tables came out this week and Wombat didn't even mention them on his list!

#40 Xevious

Xevious

Most Damned CAG Evar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2011 - 05:21 AM

I'm surprised you guys did not mention Duke Nukem Forever as the most dissapointing game of the year.
Posted Image

Edited by Xevious, 17 December 2011 - 05:36 AM.

Damn you xevious...

Damn you Xevious... damn you to hell.....

Damn you Xevious be quiet.

So you know EBM? Damn you Xevious...

#41 Mixer23

Mixer23

I was the Turkey!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2011 - 05:50 AM

I'm surprised you guys did not mention Duke Nukem Forever as the most dissapointing game of the year.

I'm also surprised that Duke Nukem Forever didn't make anyone's "Disappointing" list...

1. I think only one of them played it
2. None of them were looking forward to it
3. A game has to have high expectations for it to then become disappointing
4. None of them had high expectations for DN:F

If you know it's going to be a crappy game, then it isn't disappointing when it actually turns out to be one.

The articles I read seem to conjure up these images of Capcom executives sitting in a dark room with a cauldron and cackling about how no one will be able to buy this game used.

Do you really think I could start a fast food restaurant called McDonaldz and use the golden arches as my logo and get away with it?

Mixer23.png

#42 4nik8tor

4nik8tor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2011 - 07:01 AM

skyrim isnt game of the year. period.

#43 thorbahn3

thorbahn3

Everyone talks too much!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2011 - 08:00 AM

I'd say my biggest surprise was Sonic Generations not sucking. I rented it at redbox and it was worth the $2.00 for the 4 hours of gameplay that was the entire game.
My Indie Game:
Spoiler

#44 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:26 PM

I haven't bought many games that came out THIS year, and I have played a few things like Uncharted 3 and Infamous 2. But the games I do own and bought this year, it's Ghost Trick.

Batsugunner.png

#45 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:51 PM

I don't like the fact that it was shipped broken on PS3. I imagine the 3 of them are playing the 360 version, which does not have the same game breaking issues.

And yeah, the game did get a lot of high scores. Unfortunately, the severe PS3 framerate issues only appear many hours into the game. I imagine by that point many reviewers had already handed in their scores.

When I mention a bait and switch, I am referring to what Bethesda did during the review process. From everything I have seen and heard, review copies were nearly all from the 360. No PS3 copies were available for review. Why do you think this was? Maybe because Bethesda was aware of just how ugly things were on the PS3 version and didn't want negative press stifling sales of that version? It seems fairly obvious to me.

I am pretty sure we discussed this issue on the show, but I could be wrong.

#46 Thomas96

Thomas96

I am Thomaticus!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2011 - 01:08 PM

When I saw the title of the show I thought.... I really don't want to listen to a "Best of 2011" show. But I listened anyway...and I enjoyed it. Wombat, definitely crafted one of the best Cagcasts that I've ever heard. For the next show... don't leave out the Portal 2 talk... I would like to hear the "conspiracy theories."

Regarding PS3 Skyrim: Every time you guys talk about Skyrim, I feel bad. I was on the fence about getting the game, then I saw this video
Spoiler
and got myself hyped about the game. I bought the game, only to find out about the lag issues, so now all I have is Demon Souls and Dark Souls to quell my Skyrim lust.
Posted Image

#47 TheDrypa

TheDrypa

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2011 - 01:34 PM

Skyrim is by far the greatest game to have come out this year. Great show guys!

#48 Thomas96

Thomas96

I am Thomaticus!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2011 - 01:40 PM

First of all, I agree with you, as I feel to some degree that Skyrim doesn't really deserve GOTY honors due to the PS3 issues. Customers from PC and Xbox, have played and enjoyed the game immensely, and with those experience held, people are going to be compelled to give the game GOTY honors. I don't think its right negate the true quality of the game itself, just because the PS3 version being unplayable. For now on, PS3 owners need to really be cautious about purchasing Bethesda games on PS3. (meaning, no Day 1 purchases)

Secondly, you have to remember that its all about the 360. As long as the game is good on the 360, then all other sins will be forgiven by the gaming community. (and you can still win GOTY). If skyrim was unplayable on the 360, and worked perfectly on the PS3, it would not have received GOTY honors. This situation also proves how video game journalism is totally bullshit because on Metacritic, PS3 Skyrim still has a 92. Sitting on top of the metacritic list is..... Playstation: The Official Magazine (US) with a score of 100. You would think that the Playstation "Official" magazine would point out the issues on its console, but they probably played the 360 version.

Finally Kudos to Playstation: Official Magazine (UK), who with their review score (70 on metacritic) pointed out the issues that Skyrim had, and thus showed some true journalistic integrity.
Posted Image

#49 Excast

Excast

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2011 - 02:10 PM

I am pretty sure we discussed this issue on the show, but I could be wrong.

Yeah, I'm sure you guys mentioned it many times. Heck, if I was playing the game on a 360 I would probably have nothing but good things to say as well. I take it all 3 of you are playing on either 360 or PC, right?

I guess my issue is more with Bethesda than the game itself. I think it is understandable that massive open world games will have bugs and glitches. I played through Fallout 3, Oblivion, and New Vegas despite the problems they had. None of them were broken experiences though.

Many gamers don't own both consoles and were looking forward to playing Skyrim on their PS3. None of the initial reviews mentioned this problem because Bethesda didn't send out advance copies on the PS3 for review. Therefore, there was a fairly blatant bait and switch by Bethesda,

And any company that does that to such a large portion of their customers is not worthy of seeing their game win much of anything.

#50 lokizz

lokizz

Go $$$$ Yourself

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2011 - 09:33 PM

this is one of the worst cagcasts ever. fucking shit ive had to restart this damn thing 5 or 6 times now because i keep falling asleep to it. i get what wombat was trying to do but yeah it failed. miserably. next year just run through your list of faves and why and skip all the extra pointless bullshit. oh yeah and let shipwreck organize it because this was pretty much a meandering clusterfuck of a show. now im off to try to listen to this the 7th time now.

props to shipwreck for mentioning dead island that game is awesome the best zombie game ever. cant wait for a sequel.

#51 lokizz

lokizz

Go $$$$ Yourself

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2011 - 09:36 PM

First of all, I agree with you, as I feel to some degree that Skyrim doesn't really deserve GOTY honors due to the PS3 issues. Customers from PC and Xbox, have played and enjoyed the game immensely, and with those experience held, people are going to be compelled to give the game GOTY honors. I don't think its right negate the true quality of the game itself, just because the PS3 version being unplayable. For now on, PS3 owners need to really be cautious about purchasing Bethesda games on PS3. (meaning, no Day 1 purchases)

Secondly, you have to remember that its all about the 360. As long as the game is good on the 360, then all other sins will be forgiven by the gaming community. (and you can still win GOTY). If skyrim was unplayable on the 360, and worked perfectly on the PS3, it would not have received GOTY honors. This situation also proves how video game journalism is totally bullshit because on Metacritic, PS3 Skyrim still has a 92. Sitting on top of the metacritic list is..... Playstation: The Official Magazine (US) with a score of 100. You would think that the Playstation "Official" magazine would point out the issues on its console, but they probably played the 360 version.

Finally Kudos to Playstation: Official Magazine (UK), who with their review score (70 on metacritic) pointed out the issues that Skyrim had, and thus showed some true journalistic integrity.

yeah the game has issues but even with those issues its still better than alot of games out there now. i guess it boils down to how much shit you can take before a games unplayable. i rented it a few days so i think ill wait till i hear about it getting fixed before i pick it up but that said i enjoyed myself alot until the backwards flying crack dragon.

#52 4thHorseman

4thHorseman

The New God

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:26 PM

I still can't see why anyone would call it Game of the Year. The same criticisms other games get are somehow overlooked in this game (fetch quests, bad voice work, overused dialogued, bad combat, etc) but it's alright in Skyrim because the game is bigger. I can respect that Bethesda put a lot into this game, but it doesn't mean they get a pass for all the garbage this game has.

#53 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:51 PM

I really enjoyed the podcast. Great work all round, but especially Wombat.

Curufinwe5503.png? Curufinwe.jpg

#54 Sashka

Sashka

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2011 - 06:07 AM

I could listen to Cheapy giggle for hours..

And damn, Shipwreck has amazing comedic timing

#55 Kazaganthi

Kazaganthi

Blue Rogue

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:58 PM

Why does everyone assume Skyrim on PS3 is broken? Because they "heard on the internet" that it was?

I've been playing Skyrim on the PS3 since release day, downloaded every patch the day it came out. I've had zero major issues. My playtime is over 120 hours, my save file is huge from all the changes I've made in the world. I've had 1 major freeze, but I autosave every 5min so I didn't lose anything from a reset. The bookshelf in my house wouldn't work and a quick reload from save entering house fixed it. And 1 dragon soul didn't absorb, out of like 40 dragons killed. That's it. Nothing game breaking, no issues. No lag/framerate issues. I've been playing this game just fine or actually better than PC gamers who complain about Skyrim crashing to the desktop very often or no alt-tabbing.

That's my personal experience with over 120 hours of the game, what's your experience on the PS3?

I liked this Favorite Games of CAGcast better than last years. Because it doesn't have all those lame categories that no one cares about. Like favorite Wii Ware game which Cheapy/Wombat didn't even play any. Or favorite XBLA indie game, favorite DL title. It was all too cluttered. This year was more straight forward and I appreciate it!

I'm also glad Portal 2 made it to 2 of your lists. I'm glad this game wasn't forgotten from earlier this year, it was a very fun game. The 1st play through is really great trying to figure out the puzzles, and Co-op was a completely different campaign so that was awesome. Did anyone try the free DLC yet? It adds a new course to Co-op, it's short but still funny and fun.

#56 Ultramontane

Ultramontane

Kuato Lives!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2011 - 12:39 AM

I forgot already, was Mass Effect 2 in anyone's top 5? If not, any chance it can make a special J.O. appearance in the next episode?

Don't make decisions when you're angry and don't make promises when you're happy.

#57 zorc705

zorc705

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2011 - 03:06 AM

Longtime listener, first time commenter, great show as always. My personal Picks

5.Portal 2
4.deus ex
3.infamous 2
2.dark souls
1.Skyrim

Most surprising: Deus Ex
Most Disappointing: Batman: Arkham City
Worst game: Duke Nukem

#58 KrzyHpnKricket

KrzyHpnKricket

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:06 AM

I forgot already, was Mass Effect 2 in anyone's top 5?

Mass Effect 2 came out last year.
Posted Image

#59 retrad

retrad

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2011 - 06:05 AM

I forgot already, was Mass Effect 2 in anyone's top 5? If not, any chance it can make a special J.O. appearance in the next episode?

yeah that would be a good idea if it didn't come out almost 2 years ago and win a lot of 2010 game of the year awards...
Posted Image

#60 4thHorseman

4thHorseman

The New God

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:07 PM

Why does everyone assume Skyrim on PS3 is broken? Because they "heard on the internet" that it was?

I've been playing Skyrim on the PS3 since release day, downloaded every patch the day it came out. I've had zero major issues. My playtime is over 120 hours, my save file is huge from all the changes I've made in the world. I've had 1 major freeze, but I autosave every 5min so I didn't lose anything from a reset. The bookshelf in my house wouldn't work and a quick reload from save entering house fixed it. And 1 dragon soul didn't absorb, out of like 40 dragons killed. That's it. Nothing game breaking, no issues. No lag/framerate issues. I've been playing this game just fine or actually better than PC gamers who complain about Skyrim crashing to the desktop very often or no alt-tabbing.

That's my personal experience with over 120 hours of the game, what's your experience on the PS3?

I liked this Favorite Games of CAGcast better than last years. Because it doesn't have all those lame categories that no one cares about. Like favorite Wii Ware game which Cheapy/Wombat didn't even play any. Or favorite XBLA indie game, favorite DL title. It was all too cluttered. This year was more straight forward and I appreciate it!

I'm also glad Portal 2 made it to 2 of your lists. I'm glad this game wasn't forgotten from earlier this year, it was a very fun game. The 1st play through is really great trying to figure out the puzzles, and Co-op was a completely different campaign so that was awesome. Did anyone try the free DLC yet? It adds a new course to Co-op, it's short but still funny and fun.

My PS3 gameplay hasn't been as bad as other people are making it out to be. I'm not sure what my gametime is (definitely less than yours) and I've had between 3-4 freezeups. Lag comes and goes, there are times where I'm not able to do anything because the buttons don't respond until I exit and go back, I have a few quest glitches, and many times my character will spaz out and start moving in one direction when I want to go another or randomly spinning.

But this unplayable business everyone else is making it out to be? I don't know where they are coming from.