Gran Turismo 5 XL Edition $39.99 @ newegg/amazon

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#31 Mongoose07

Mongoose07

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2011 - 06:08 AM

I have both and each has their pros and cons but you gotta love watching Fanbois Tennis. :applause:

I'm not a fanboy, man. I own more PS3 systems (lol) and games than my 360, and I owned a 360 first. I even spent more on GT5 than most people, with that silly Logitech Wheel. Call it buyer's remorse or whatever, but I'm trying to warn people away from my mistake.

#32 htz

htz

CAGiversary 3.0!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:39 PM

http://blog.us.plays...onth-for-39-99/

#33 MPoWeRM3

MPoWeRM3

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:19 PM

So in Japan, it's called Spec II. In America, it's called XL. I see what they are implying. ;)

#34 Zarathos

Zarathos

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:19 PM

Ok... question... what exactly DOES this one have that the vanilla one doesn't? Could somebody point me to some actual, detailed comparisons?

We've gotten GT5 checked out from the library a few times (yay for a library with games!), and I downloaded 2.02 (?) for it recently...

We haven't had a lot of time with the game so I'm not sure what's actually already in the current game as opposed to the new XL game...

Gran Turismo 5 XL Edition Contents

• Original Gran Turismo 5 game, featuring more than 1,000 cars, 20+ locations with 70+ track layouts, diverse racing styles including rally, track, karting, NASCAR, and more, deep online community features and online racing, plus Gran Turismo TV, Course Maker and more.<LI sizset="19" sizcache="10">All of the new and improved features and functionality from all free downloadable game updates up through Spec 2.0 included on the disc.
  • Voucher good for over $20 worth of DLC content, including the Racing Car Pack, Car Pack 2, Course Pack, Racing Gear Pack, and Paint Pack.

is the bold bit the only NEW stuff I'd be getting?

I finally bought it from Target 3 days ago ($40) for his birthday... so should I take it back and hold out?

Also, would it do anything to his currently saved game to switch up? You wouldn't think so, but....

#35 BingoBrown

BingoBrown

Master Assassin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:54 PM

is the bold bit the only NEW stuff I'd be getting?

I finally bought it from Target 3 days ago ($40) for his birthday... so should I take it back and hold out?

Also, would it do anything to his currently saved game to switch up? You wouldn't think so, but....

Yes (several DLC packs worth something like $20-$25).

Yes (XL Edition will also be $40, and you can get from Amazon or Newegg to save on tax).

No (save games from vanilla GT5 are confirmed to work on the XL Edition; it's really just the same game with updates on disc).

#36 MikeE021286

MikeE021286

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:56 PM

Spec 2.0 is a free update for all GT5 owners. However, if hard drive space matters to you, Spec 2.0 is included on the disc for the XL Edition, whereas for the regular version it is stored on your hard drive in the form of an update.

The DLC is essentially what you would be getting that you don't already have. I would take it back, seeing as how you paid the same price for the regular version as the XL version is going to cost, and the XL Edition comes with $20 of DLC.

#37 htz

htz

CAGiversary 3.0!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:00 PM

You get a $20 DLC voucher and a whole years worth of patches on disc without needing to download them (saves you hard drive space). That is the only difference between the vanilla version and the XL.

Edit:
The XL Edition will also feature a new reversible inside coversheet featuring the new Red Bull X2011 supercar, to add a different look to your game library shelf.
Posted Image

We've gotten GT5 checked out from the library a few times (yay for a library with games!), and I downloaded 2.02 (?) for it recently...

You can rent PS3 games at the library now like GT5 o_O?

#38 Yanksfan

Yanksfan

Cubs Fan Too :(

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:00 PM

Damn, very nice. Once it can be had a little cheaper, I will be all over it.

GS Feedback Sheet/Thread

https://docs.google....NWc&usp=sharing

MattNY.png

#39 acsguitar

acsguitar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:36 PM

BTW Gran Turismo is WAY improved from what it was when it came out. Easier to get money, Cars now have cockpit view even if they aren't premium, online dealer etc...The latest updates have made this game Perfect IMO.

#40 Zarathos

Zarathos

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:13 PM

Dang... back to Target for a return... guess I'll give my son a picture of the game and tell him he gets it next week... heh

Thanks for all the replies to my questions...

#41 kinney_bmx

kinney_bmx

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:38 PM

I really like the reverse cover art. Wish more games would do that. So far we have what 4?

Gran Turismo 5 wasn't much fun to me, either. It was a huge grind. I'm not going to go for those licenses. I don't want to race in my souped up little Honda because I can't afford to switch to a better car and so much was already pumped into it. I even had the Logitech Wheel, which helped some, but even that couldn't stave off how boring it was. So many loading screens for hundreds of cars I don't care about (how many GT-R's do we need, while having ZERO Firebirds? GTO's? Nice to see American cars matter, Polyphony). Forza 3 and 4 are both much better GAMES, and not much worse as a sim.

I'm still passing this up :/ Maybe rebuy it at <$20

Thats a good thing

#42 todrigo

todrigo

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:51 PM

Since it says "voucher" for $20 worth of online DLC is there any chance it will show as a $20 PSN credit and then be good towards anything?

#43 BingoBrown

BingoBrown

Master Assassin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:53 PM

I really like the reverse cover art. Wish more games would do that. So far we have what 4?

Ico Collection, Resistance 3, and Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are others. I like it as well.

#44 Brother Daz

Brother Daz

Scotch and yes?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:55 PM

Since it says "voucher" for $20 worth of online DLC is there any chance it will show as a $20 PSN credit and then be good towards anything?

I seriously doubt it. I'm sure it's just a voucher for the dlc, that's worth $20

#45 groundskeeper

groundskeeper

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:56 PM

Wait, how is this a deal at MSRP?

Well anyways Walmart has it too and would not be surprised if every other retailer has it in a week from now.
http://www.walmart.c...000000003142040
CAG Not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

#46 MIX_MASTER_ICE

MIX_MASTER_ICE

The Night Stalker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:04 PM

Just had to interject that if you have both a PS3 and 360, Forza 4 absolutely destroys GT5. lol

1.pngdefault.png IMAG0005.jpg

#47 Yars

Yars

I'd buy that for a dollar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:24 PM

Just had to interject that if you have both a PS3 and 360, Forza 4 absolutely destroys GT5. lol

At the very least list a few reasons to convince us why it's so much better. Otherwise your statement carries little to no weight.

#48 Brother Daz

Brother Daz

Scotch and yes?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:24 PM

I agree 100% with you!

#49 MIX_MASTER_ICE

MIX_MASTER_ICE

The Night Stalker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:35 PM

At the very least list a few reasons to convince us why it's so much better. Otherwise your statement carries little to no weight.

Just play them both for a little while and get back with me with your analysis, chief.

#50 Yars

Yars

I'd buy that for a dollar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:46 PM

Just play them both for a little while and get back with me with your analysis, chief.

Encouraging people to give both a try and deciding for themselves is far more constructive than your previous post.

#51 MIX_MASTER_ICE

MIX_MASTER_ICE

The Night Stalker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:50 PM

Encouraging people to give both a try and deciding for themselves is far more constructive than your previous post.

Dude, just shut up. I didn't say 3 out of 4 dentists prefer Forza 4 over GT5. I stated Forza 4 destroys GT5. I stated...again, I stated. Agree or not, I don't really care.

#52 xTraPointLess

xTraPointLess

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:00 PM

Dude, just shut up. I didn't say 3 out of 4 dentists prefer Forza 4 over GT5. I stated Forza 4 destroys GT5. I stated...again, I stated. Agree or not, I don't really care.

I think he's wondering if you could say why it destroys GT5. Then maybe readers of the thread would benefit from a reasoned opinion rather than an unreasoned one. :ziplip:
Current Happenings:
:360: - Pinball FX2
:ps3: - Nothing
:pc: - Diablo 3, Borderlands 2
TV - Mad Men, Game of Thrones, Community, Homefront, The Walking Dead
Music - Daft Punk, Foo Fighters, Doves, Oasis, Pearl Jam, Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins, David Bowie, Deadmau5

#53 vic_x51

vic_x51

World Warrior

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:32 PM

I think gt5 is more fun for a car realist while forza is more fun for a gamer. Both are good though its just preference.

#54 Velo214

Velo214

Baby Lili is Here!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:22 AM

duke nukem and borderlands also have reversible cover art. i love reversible cover art ;)
seems classy without all those labels/etc

some have pix like uncharted3 but it doesnt do well as cover art, it's just inside case art.

n yay got this free woot

Velo214.png
sig.gif

#55 Brother Daz

Brother Daz

Scotch and yes?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:25 AM

n yay got this free woot

do tell

#56 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:32 AM

do tell

Free stuff forum. Sony reward thread. Free game(s) every month for a few minutes of work each week while watching TV. Last month's was this game and it's likely that we'll get it a couple of days before release. It's too late to get GT 5 XL but if sign ups are open now you might get in for next month. This month's reward is the Jak and Daxter collection.

#57 Brother Daz

Brother Daz

Scotch and yes?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:34 AM

Free stuff forum. Sony reward thread. Free game(s) every month for a few minutes of work each week while watching TV. Last month's was this game and it's likely that we'll get it a couple of days before release. It's too late to get GT 5 XL but if sign ups are open now you might get in for next month. This month's reward is the Jak and Daxter collection.

Interesting, I'll check that out thanks!

#58 blinknot4

blinknot4

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:39 AM

The triple dip. GT5 doing its best Capcom impression.

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue - April 2008 - $40 (glorified demo)
Gran Turismo 5 - November 2010 - $60 (full game)
Gran Turismo 5 XL - January 2011 - $40 (full game + DLC)

I'll hold out for a fourth edition. Gran Turismo 5 XXL Turbo. Potentially $20 when looking at the history. Potentially due out Spring 2012.

(relax, I'm a fucking PS3 fanboy/nerd/addict.)

Dill The Noise.

471350.png champloo4.png