Alternatives to Bose Wave Radio II, for TV output?

Ryuukishi

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
My mother in law is tired of her tinny built-in TV speakers, and wants something better. We are looking at the Bose Wave Radio II and it looks like a good fit, but I was wondering if there are cheaper alternatives.

She doesn't actually care about the radio functionality, she's interested in outputting the TV sound to it. But the thing is, she absolutely doesn't want a receiver and stereo speakers, or god forbid a 5.1 system. She is adamant about it being a single, self-contained unit, which is what attracted her to the Bose. I've looked at some things like the Tivoli Audio radio that are a bit cheaper than the Bose and get good reviews, but they are just radios, without the auxiliary input functionality.

Anything else I should look at for her? Thanks.

Soundbar is definitely the way to go in your situation. A couple of things you should know though.

1. Does her TV have a optical/coaxial/analog (red and white) sound output? Make sure the soundbar you buy matches this, or you'll have to buy an adapter. I bought a Vizio VSB200 and I didn't know that the only way optical would work is if the tv could output audio in PCM (you can check if your tv can do this by looking in the audio settings). I had to buy an adapter to convert my tvs digital signal to analog.

2. Usually, if you buy a Philips Soundbar for a Philips TV, you can use the TV remote control to control the volume on the soundbar as well. The TV speakers get effectively bypassed. This is not always the case however, but usually is.

Good luck!

bread's done
Back