PS3 wont charge controller correctly

The 7th Number

CAGiversary!
Feedback
33 (100%)
Okay, first of all i bought a PS3 during the black friday holiday bundle deal from amazon.com. So today im playing Infamous, and the PS3 tells me my controller needs recharging. So i hook the USB cord up to the controller and PS3, and little later it tells me it needs charging again(its still hooked up). So all that time it wasnt working. I hook it up again, and again, and again, finally it starts to recharge. But now whenever i press a button on the controller, it wont work. So its recharging but i cant play at the same time. I keep hooking it back up over and over. Either it wont charge, or if i somehow manage to get it to recharge, it charges and i cant use the controller, none of the buttons will work.

So i thought it was my controller. But i decided to hook it up to my pc and see what happens. Pop the USB in, computer makes ding sounds telling me a new device was put in. Bam, controller recharging, and i was able to play infamous as it recharged with no problem. So the problem must be with my PS3. Has anyone ever had this happen to them?

My solution is to have two controllers. I charge one while I play with the other. Then when one gets low I switch them

I don't mean to sound like a douche, but was the ps3 on? That actually happened to my buddy who assumed that it would charge even if the system was off. Either that or check the usb ports.
Hopefully you figure it out.

[quote name='ssjmichael']You've tried both USB ports right?[/QUOTE]

Yes, i tried both USB ports in the front. Usually nothing happens. When i do see it recharge then it stops working.

[quote name='hereon']I don't mean to sound like a douche, but was the ps3 on?.[/QUOTE]

Yes it was on.

I recharged my controller last night through my pc, not even trying to do with on the PS3. It charged fine. Next time it needs a recharge i guess i should try the PS3 again.

As far as i know, the PS3 does not charge if the console is off. It will only charge if its on.

With that knowledge i never tried again to charge it via the console and hook it up to the computer.

Okay, just now controller needed to be charged. I plug the USB into the controller, then the other half into the PS3. It starts to recharge right away, i can move Kratos around, everything seems fine. I pause the game, browse on the internet for 5 or so minutes, go back to play and none of the buttons would work. Well the PS button in the middle worked a couple times, but dpad and face buttons wouldnt work. So i had to unplug the cord so i could get the PS menu off, and just switched it to recharge via my pc. :/

I think (don't quote me on this) you can't play and charge a controller at the same time. You can only do one or the other.

[quote name='Pompsy']I think (don't quote me on this) you can't play and charge a controller at the same time. You can only do one or the other.[/QUOTE]

Maybe its like that for new slims? I know old ones you can charge and play at the same time.

Sounds like a faulty USB port. I've played just fine while charging my controller through the PS3 itself (a slim) and my PC. If you have another USB cable, try using that. Could also try changing the USB port you're plugged into. Other than that, I'm not sure.

[quote name='Pompsy']I think (don't quote me on this) you can't play and charge a controller at the same time. You can only do one or the other.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='The 7th Number']Maybe its like that for new slims? I know old ones you can charge and play at the same time.[/QUOTE]

Nope, I got 3000 series ps3 and the dualshock is charging right now using the USB cable as I'm playing. No problems whatsoever.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Okay, just now controller needed to be charged. I plug the USB into the controller, then the other half into the PS3. It starts to recharge right away, i can move Kratos around, everything seems fine. I pause the game, browse on the internet for 5 or so minutes, go back to play and none of the buttons would work. Well the PS button in the middle worked a couple times, but dpad and face buttons wouldnt work. So i had to unplug the cord so i could get the PS menu off, and just switched it to recharge via my pc. :/[/QUOTE]

Not trying to sound like a douche either, but do you have the Power Save Settings turned on (Settings -> Power Save Settings -> Controller Auto-Off)? If that option is set to anything other than "Off", that could be the reason your controller is turning off while charging.

maybe your controller is disconnecting while your playing if you're moving it around too much. when you plug it in at first it disconnects for a second and stops working and when you disconnect it does the same thing so maybe you need a better usb cord or to move the control less. If all the lights on top are flashing it means it's charging but turned off, if none of them are on it's off, press the ps button in the middle at anytime to turn it back on.

[quote name='Krate']Not trying to sound like a douche either, but do you have the Power Save Settings turned on (Settings -> Power Save Settings -> Controller Auto-Off)? If that option is set to anything other than "Off", that could be the reason your controller is turning off while charging.[/QUOTE]

Both console and controller are set to off.

It might be that im moving around and the controller disconnects. IDK. I guess it doesnt matter as long as i have a pc to charge the controller in. Or let it charge and not play at the same time.

I'm thinking it's one of the following: (1) the controller itself (unlikely since you can charge from your PC just fine), (2) the USB cable, or (3) the USB ports on the PS3.

The easiest thing is to try a different USB cable (A to Mini-B). Do other accessories work through the USB ports OK, like for charging a phone, plugging in an external hard drive, etc.? And my understanding is that you're supposed to be able to charge and play at the same time on all PS3 models, not just old ones.

Try resetting the controller. There's a small reset button underneath the controller, you will need a needle.

Not trying to bump an old thread, but today i noticed when i hooked my PSP up to my PS3 that the screen kept flashing between "USB Mode" and "connect this to a pc or ps3". So its not the controller. After 4-5 times unplugging and plugging the usb end into my ps3 it finally stayed on USB Mode. This sucks though, to have a 250 dollar machine not working properly.

bread's done
Back