Photo
- - - - -

Best Buy Trade-in 3.0: So long! New thread started.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5936 replies to this topic

#4771 panda911

panda911

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:44 PM

I wonder what the TIV for Madden will debut at. I'm hoping for 22 base.

#4772 BudzMcGee

BudzMcGee

Clearance Bin Review

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:49 PM

Sorry for the delay, flew in from Vegas at about 6am this morning but updated OP to reflect promotion going till at least 9/1.

My video game site ClearanceBinReview.com - The right game for the right price.
300x156xBacklog-Quest-II-300x156.jpg.pag
Want to write reviews of iPhone and XBLIG's and get FREE games for doing so? We are looking for writers! Go HERE.

Sign up for Shopkick and get free Best Buy and Target gift cards for free! Sign up through here (referral) for 50 bonus kicks!

#4773 Donut2922

Donut2922

Read the OP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:09 PM

I have still yet to trade in-store but my online trade in was accepted. They emailed me an egiftcard instead of a physical card. So the theory that the bans initiated by corporate apply on a store level only is true (in all likelihood).

#4774 Dabears34

Dabears34

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:14 PM

My stores aren't in that drop down but they show up elsewhere on the trade-in site. Oh well.

Why run a trade-in program that way?

Here in Chicago they do not allow trade-ins if you did not buy them from Bestbuy and they do not have a used game section in store. The reason I was told was because they do not have a license to sell used games and they are working to get one. This was well over a year ago and they still don't sell used games which tells me bestbuy has no plans to get a license or they know business isn't going well enough to spend money on something that wont ROI.

#4775 KtMack23

KtMack23

Retired from CAGing

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:19 PM

Sorry for the delay, flew in from Vegas at about 6am this morning but updated OP to reflect promotion going till at least 9/1.

Did you make it rain bestbuy credit?

#4776 inky1600

inky1600

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:19 PM

I'm good. I've had to do this before with other games and I'm sure I'll be able to sell it for $15 - $20 + shipping cost. Shipping it is nothing too. Rather have that money too and not a BB gift card so it works out.

The money that I get from selling it on eBay will go towards UC3: CE and I'll really only be paying $10 for the game.

Much easier and less chances going on eBay.

Also, I only sell my stuff to people with good ratings on eBay so I don't get scammed. I've have been on the verge of being scammed but I saw the signs and made sure to not sell.

When was the last time you sold something on EBay? Sellers are not allowed to leave any feedback other than positive for buyers. So how will buyers have bad feedback? What usually happens to me is I put a game up for a buy it now cheaper than any other seller anywhere and someone with a new fake account and a zero feedback score buys it. Obviously, the money never comes and while I'm disputing that for a week with ebay/paypal in a case I will ultimately win, other sellers have come in with the same game for a dollar or two more and sold theirs while my better deal was temporarily taken off the board. Maybe in that time the market has changed due to a sale somewhere and my game is now worth less.My theory is that those sellers create fake accounts to tie up sellers with better prices like me up so they can move up the board. The point of all this is that the 0 feedback buyers I'm talking about don't have zeroes from negative feedbacks-they're zeroes from no record at all. So there is no way to choose to not sell to buyers with bad feedback since it does not exist. Lame as hell but that is Ebay for you-they are all about the buyers. At this point I have mostly abandoned Ebay for that reason and just trade into GS and BB whenever they have promos

#4777 thefunkyredcaboose

thefunkyredcaboose

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:37 PM

Cause they dont know what the heck they are doing in relation to pawn laws in different localities. Here a pawn shop comes under a particular set of blue laws, like cant be open on Sunday or after 6 pm. Obviously best buy violates both. The "pawn license" is a class 3 license or so it is termed locally; I do not know if best buy has one or not, since they do not follow the guidelines. However, they do electronically submit all tradeins and your personal information to the local police department, which is another local pawn requirement.

In other words, they dont know what they are doing as evidenced by following some laws and not others. Gamestop, Toys R Us and all the other local trade in places do not do any of those things, so it is hard to just blame it all on "local pawn laws." It is best buy's incompetence or laziness or whatever that leads to their particular policies the best I can figure.

I can believe it, I have to admit that I'm pretty good at checking things out and this broadsided me. Of course, I was treated like I was an idiot during the whole deal, which was nice.

#4778 TooPoor

TooPoor

∀ Game, ∃ Buy Price

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:39 PM

When was the last time you sold something on EBay? Sellers are not allowed to leave any feedback other than positive for buyers. So how will buyers have bad feedback? What usually happens to me is I put a game up for a buy it now cheaper than any other seller anywhere and someone with a new fake account and a zero feedback score buys it. Obviously, the money never comes and while I'm disputing that for a week with ebay/paypal in a case I will ultimately win, other sellers have come in with the same game for a dollar or two more and sold theirs while my better deal was temporarily taken off the board. Maybe in that time the market has changed due to a sale somewhere and my game is now worth less.My theory is that those sellers create fake accounts to tie up sellers with better prices like me up so they can move up the board. The point of all this is that the 0 feedback buyers I'm talking about don't have zeroes from negative feedbacks-they're zeroes from no record at all. So there is no way to choose to not sell to buyers with bad feedback since it does not exist. Lame as hell but that is Ebay for you-they are all about the buyers. At this point I have mostly abandoned Ebay for that reason and just trade into GS and BB whenever they have promos

What he said is right. You cannot choose the buyer in any way. He can either tie up your product like the quoted post stated out, or if he has 0 feedback and pays your item you are obligated to ship the item or he can leave you neg feedback and get his money money easily. So in summary, there is absolutely no way for you to choose your buyer unless you do not care about negative feedback.

Mathematically Correct.

Use factual statements, logical deductions, mathematical calculations and objective analysis; not rage.

My Trade List

My Lowball!

NI_YA_SHA_BI.png

#4779 doc_j88

doc_j88

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:44 PM

I have over 600 transactions and have not had a bad experience on ebay

#4780 lupe guillotine

lupe guillotine

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:00 PM

I work for a company that sells Industrial equipment on Ebay and we tend to get those costumers with account they just created, buy our stuff, and not pay for them. Then we have to wait a week after sending invoice before we can open a case of non-payment. We have a Cement Mixer that gets like that three times a year. Some just buy the item so they can see if they can resell it for more within that 1 week period.

#4781 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:04 PM

While it may not prevent a person who makes an account the day they purchase your product you can set certain limitations on buyers. Some include:

Don't have a PayPal account
Have unpaid items recorded on their account
Have a primary shipping address in countries you don’t ship to
Have reportedly violated eBay policies
Have a Feedback score lower than the number you specify

I do not allow anyone with a neg. feedback, 2 unpaid items within 6 months or 4 policy violations within 6 months. I also require a Pay Pal account. Never really had any issues and never received any neg feedback for about 150 transactions over 8 years.

#4782 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:14 PM

My stores aren't in that drop down but they show up elsewhere on the trade-in site. Oh well.

Why run a trade-in program that way?

Because as I said above it depends on the local laws in effect for your area. Unfortunately BB didn't set up their chains' program like GS', so they have to adhere to whatever the prevailing laws are for that area.

You could try going a county over from you to see if maybe the laws are different there and you could trade your stuff in without a receipt required.

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#4783 @FIF

@FIF

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:24 PM

Because as I said above it depends on the local laws in effect for your area. Unfortunately BB didn't set up their chains' program like GS', so they have to adhere to whatever the prevailing laws are for that area.

Most pawn shop laws include an exception for "specialty stores." The carve outs are meant to help used book stores, antique stores, art galleries and others that buy and re-sell (and, often, refurbish or refinish) discrete classes of goods. Because GameStop only deals in games, it usually falls into the exception.

Best Buy is a general retailer and subject to the full panoply of pawn and resale laws in most areas. There may be things they could do to make trade-in's easier and more widely available, but the only way to get the same ubiquity as GameStop would be to completely change their business model and open up Best Buy Game Centers or something similar.

#4784 NLW1999

NLW1999

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:24 PM

Thanks Toss for posting that you had your ban lifted. My trading ban is over. I just got back from a successful trade after a 6-8 month ban. I was banned sometime between mid Dec and Feb.

#4785 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:35 PM

Most pawn shop laws include an exception for "specialty stores." The carve outs are meant to help used book stores, antique stores, art galleries and others that buy and re-sell (and, often, refurbish or refinish) discrete classes of goods. Because GameStop only deals in games, it usually falls into the exception.

Best Buy is a general retailer and subject to the full panoply of pawn and resale laws in most areas. There may be things they could do to make trade-in's easier and more widely available, but the only way to get the same ubiquity as GameStop would be to completely change their business model and open up Best Buy Game Centers or something similar.

Actually one of the mods on the BB forums said something about considering opening up small mall stores that would just buy/sell games and likely hardware & accessories.

It'd be great if it happens, since then they might be able to give GS a run for their money.:D

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#4786 karkyco

karkyco

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:38 PM

I signed up for GCU on the 17th of this month and on my account it says my first issue will be emailed in october, da Fuck is this? does everyone have to wait a month before getting their first issue because I really don't want to miss out on the $10 BF3

When I signed up, I didn't want to miss that coming month's coupons and also fell into that limbo period before the new mag was out. I just went into the store when the new mag was available and showed them my GCU receipt and asked for the mag and they gave me a copy.

SPLASH!

m93k0.gif

#4787 Toss

Toss

i love clearance ...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:41 PM

Thanks Toss for posting that you had your ban lifted. My trading ban is over. I just got back from a successful trade after a 6-8 month ban. I was banned sometime between mid Dec and Feb.

Ironically my unbanning only lasted for a week! LOL!!! I did 47 games in 4 different trades, 3 different stores, over 2 days. No triples of any games but I went in yesterday and this message came up " Cannot proceed with this transaction.....A person matching this description has been placed on the Trade-In No Buy List by Best Buy Asset Protection for violation of Best Buy Policies." I even chatted with bestbuy asking them what their trade policies were after sucessfully doing my first unbanned trade. All I was told was the 3 a year limit. I guess there are other unwritten policy stipulations. Oh well minions it is :)
...and my dogs

LOOSE LIPS SINK (FL)IPS

#4788 NLW1999

NLW1999

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:09 PM

Damn, that blows. I guess I'll try to space out my trades a bit, I'll post again if I end up getting rebanned. Did a 7 game trade today for $157.50, I'll try again next week.

#4789 ThatOneGuyWho

ThatOneGuyWho

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:34 PM

Was going to trade in Uncharted 3 at BB since I was going to price match UC3: CE at Frys but just got back from there and they said they will not honor it b/c no BB in my area has it nor are they shipping. I guess its all good since the UC3: CE that they had was all beat up.

Damn, I really wanted it too!

#4790 DCpinoy

DCpinoy

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:40 PM

Was going to trade in Uncharted 3 at BB since I was going to price match UC3: CE at Frys but just got back from there and they said they will not honor it b/c no BB in my area has it nor are they shipping. I guess its all good since the UC3: CE that they had was all beat up.

Damn, I really wanted it too!

Try Gamestop. They just converted UC3 CE to used. So they're 18.99 now. Just picked one up myself yesterday.

#4791 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:42 PM

Traded in my first games to Best Buy. 12 games netting $126.53 after bonuses (minus the $14.99+tax for the unlock). Not bad for games I wasn't playing and wasn't likely to play, though some of them I never even played, so it's really a loss. Oh well. Good to clean house a bit.

#4792 ThatOneGuyWho

ThatOneGuyWho

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:44 PM

Try Gamestop. They just converted UC3 CE to used. So they're 18.99 now. Just picked one up myself yesterday.

Gamestop only shows it as new but I'm going to call my store and ask. Do you know if I can price match BestBuy with me? I'm sure Gamestop doesn't price match.

Edited by Yigytugd, 27 August 2012 - 11:56 PM.

#4793 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:49 PM

I signed up for GCU on the 17th of this month and on my account it says my first issue will be emailed in october, da Fuck is this? does everyone have to wait a month before getting their first issue because I really don't want to miss out on the $10 BF3

Where on your account does it say when the first issue will be sent? I see that I'm unlocked, but I can't find anything about that on the web page. ???

#4794 DCpinoy

DCpinoy

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:53 PM

Gamestop only shows it as new but I'm going to call my store and ask. Do you know if I can price match BestBuy with me? I'm sure Gamestop doesn't price match.

No need to pricematch. Its 19 at gamestop. They converted all their new stock afaik. Check the Gamesto Converted to Pre-owned thread for more info.

#4795 ThatOneGuyWho

ThatOneGuyWho

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:56 PM

No need to pricematch. Its 19 at gamestop. They converted all their new stock afaik. Check the Gamesto Converted to Pre-owned thread for more info.

Just called 2 somewhat near Gamestops and they said they had it but it was still $100. Might just wait a week or so and see. Is there anywhere on their site that shows it as $18.

I'll call a few more but dont want to break the 10 mile mark.

#4796 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:58 PM

You have to login on the @gamer website. You're logging in to www.myrz.com

I think I found @gamer, and tried to login with my RZ login, but it didn't work. I have absolutely no idea, then, what my login is. :(

#4797 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:04 AM

I think I found @gamer, and tried to login with my RZ login, but it didn't work. I have absolutely no idea, then, what my login is. :(

There is a code on your mag when it is delivered that should allow you to log in (at least for the 1st time). It is on the shipping label. Maybe someone already told you that so sorry if I am repeating.

What ^ said. :)

#4798 Rowdy1854

Rowdy1854

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:12 AM

Fucking best buy is starting to piss me off, manager walked by during my trade in and said they can't accept game's that say "Not for Resale". Anyone else ever have this problem?

#4799 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:15 AM

Fucking best buy is starting to piss me off, manager walked by during my trade in and said they can't accept game's that say "Not for Resale". Anyone else ever have this problem?

Was it on the disc or cover? If it was on the cover just trash it before bringing it in. The disc might be an issue though if it says it there.

#4800 DemonsMaster

DemonsMaster

Jrpg Addicts Anonymous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:24 AM

Just called 2 somewhat near Gamestops and they said they had it but it was still $100. Might just wait a week or so and see. Is there anywhere on their site that shows it as $18.

I'll call a few more but dont want to break the 10 mile mark.

You don't need to wait, just go, buy the game, and you will see what its ringed up as :D