Photo
- - - - -

Best Buy Trade-in 3.0: So long! New thread started.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5936 replies to this topic

#5641 YBX87

YBX87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:53 AM

Yeah. That's why the only games left in my backlog are ones that're pretty much worthless at this point for trade-in(GTA Complete, KOA Reckoning, Mass Effect 2, etc) or stuff that I've already traded in and don't want to risk a ban by trading in another copy of(original Uncharted from the ESA Game Pack).

koa reckoning still fetches you atleast $10 with the 100% promo, wasn't it $10 after the gamers club coupon, so you break even if you do trade it in

#5642 Vigilante

Vigilante

Always Watching

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:55 AM

Traded in Game of Thrones (1x :360:, 1x :ps3:) today for $50.40 after 110% bonus; you got to love $20 via Gamefly -> $50. \\:D/

Cloud_Squall78.png
Currently Playing: :3ds: Kirby: Triple Deluxe :ps3: Just Cause 2; Tales of Xillia 2  :vita: One Piece: Unlimited World RED; Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus

Last Beaten/Completed Game(s) [8/28]: :vita: Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time (4/5)

Last Watched Film [8/9]: The Raid 2 (insane choreography, complex story)

"Moreso than the good, it is the evil who must be rescued." -Shigesato Itoi

#5643 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:10 AM

koa reckoning still fetches you atleast $10 with the 100% promo, wasn't it $10 after the gamers club coupon, so you break even if you do trade it in

But that copy I snagged with the @Gamer coupon is for my 'collection' only since the company is no longer in business. The one I have that's opened is one I think I PM'd at BB from the price on Amazon($40), so that'd be a losing prospect to me. :-#

That's why I said that nothing in my collection currently is something I would give up.

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#5644 Velo214

Velo214

Baby Lili is Here!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:20 AM

i got my game of thrones from gamefly, they sold out but had them send me the rental. of course the sale ends and its back up to 24.99 on site so the 'keep' option and flip it has lost all legs, oh wellz.

loved my borderlands 2 $3 rental. beat the game, had lots of fun, ill be back next year when goty is $40 and i get all the dlc/preorder dlc for cheap. woot

sucks bout sr3 dropping tho, doh, oh wellz,

and i was gonna go through my un banning in a blaze of glory, but thought, hey play it cool, and split my flips between me and my wife. today we go back and im banned but she is still on the all clear. guess they got their lists compiled together. oh wellz. peace cags!

Velo214.png
sig.gif

#5645 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:22 AM

It dropped by $2(SR3). I'm glad I got rid of it a month ago for $25.20. Although I was done with it MONTHS ago and could've likely made $30 something from it.:cry::bomb:

I think that was the game I came the closest to actually getting 100% on. But I got bored when trying to do the bridges and flying under them. Not to mention my one buddy on PSN who I used to just putz around with in mp co-op stopped playing it. Of course, he used to cheat his ass off in the game, so I never could save after one of our sessions anyway.:bomb:

Posted Image

#5646 panda911

panda911

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:24 AM

price also updates every saturday night

Yes but I'm talking about this hot titles list specifically, which differs from the new drops from Saturday night/ Sunday morning. I'm fairly certain it changes for Tuesday.

#5647 esalw822

esalw822

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:31 AM

Good catch. Surprised KH 3DS is still at 15. NCAA 13 is also dropping from 18 to 16. Also don't these prices update Monday night/Tuesday morning?

Not in my experience. The weekly system updates usually happen Sat night/Sun morning and Tues night/Wed morning

#5648 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:32 AM

That's why you finish up those titles on the 'hot' list and trade them in quick before they decide to drop them. If I didn't already trade in my vanilla Skyrim towards some credit for the CE I would likely trade in the one I have now, since I don't know when/if I'm going to even get to it right now.

But I don't wanna risk getting re-banned if I try trading in what would be a second copy in a store that's telling me the limit is one per title per year anymore.:-#

Posted Image

#5649 YBX87

YBX87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:36 AM

That's why you finish up those titles on the 'hot' list and trade them in quick before they decide to drop them. If I didn't already trade in my vanilla Skyrim towards some credit for the CE I would likely trade in the one I have now, since I don't know when/if I'm going to even get to it right now.

But I don't wanna risk getting re-banned if I try trading in what would be a second copy in a store that's telling me the limit is one per title per year anymore.:-#

now you reminded me to open up my fifa 13, and continue with the playthrough on borderlands 2. then trade them in before tiv drops

#5650 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:45 AM

Glad I could help. :razz:

I actually think I may just stop gaming after this gen really, since I'm thinking more like a flipper and less like a gamer. I'm constantly watching values to trying to rush through games to finish them before the values drop. But you can't really enjoy a game like that if you're trying to just do a speed run in many cases.:-#

For example: I would've loved to have come close to 100%ing Sleeping Dogs and exploring the city a bunch more. But I also noticed that the value would barely have me breaking even on it, so I wanted to get rid of it before I lost anything on it.

Posted Image

#5651 YBX87

YBX87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:54 AM

I actually think I may just stop gaming after this gen really, since I'm thinking more like a flipper and less like a gamer. I'm constantly watching values to trying to rush through games to finish them before the values drop. But you can't really enjoy a game like that if you're trying to just do a speed run in many cases.:-#

For example: I would've loved to have come close to 100%ing Sleeping Dogs and exploring the city a bunch more. But I also noticed that the value would barely have me breaking even on it, so I wanted to get rid of it before I lost anything on it.

you could always pick it up again, when it is hits $10 during another one of bestbuys blowout sale, LOl

#5652 Vigilante

Vigilante

Always Watching

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:58 AM

Not to sound blunt, but you could always, you know...start thinking less like a flipper and more like a gamer? :booty:

Because CAG has made me mega-super-ultra-supremo cheap when it comes to buying games now, I try to make playing games the priority while keeping flipping in the back of my mind--easy to do with a 50+ backlog. I don't buy games that I intend to play to completion with the further intention of trading it in when I'm done (sometimes it happens to work out, like with trading in Sleeping Dogs to BBY for $33.60 after I 100%'d it and had paid $30 for it, but I didn't plan on doing that). If I flip, I usually do it with games I already own, can wait to own, or don't want; thanks to that, I have ~$450 in BBY credit, ~$95 in GS credit (~$110 after I trade in the 4 HDMI cables I still have, though not all at once :razz:), and ~$700 in Amazon credit (not yet but hopefully within the next two weeks) to spend on games I truly just want to play. Of course, that in no way means that I'll ever pay MSRP for something. :razz: As a side note, I don't consider the BBY GCU preorder-for-$20-RZ-certificate offer as paying full-price since I have 60 days to PM and it's virtually guaranteed that any game will drop in price within that period. If a game drops to $40 within that period, then if you factor in the $20 certificate, it's like I paid $20 for a release-day game. :hot:

Sorry for the mini-rant, but I don't think you should give up entirely on gaming just because you appear to have wanted to maximize your value. ;)

Cloud_Squall78.png
Currently Playing: :3ds: Kirby: Triple Deluxe :ps3: Just Cause 2; Tales of Xillia 2  :vita: One Piece: Unlimited World RED; Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus

#5653 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:00 AM

Yeah, could just pick a few games you really want to play and enjoy them rather then trying to beat it asap to flip it.

#5654 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:03 AM

Yeah, could just pick a few games you really want to play and enjoy them rather then trying to beat it asap to flip it.

For the most part I have decided that a few games I am most likely not going to worry about TIV because I plan on keeping them (Borderlands 2, Dishonored, AC:III, Halo 4, BLOPS 2, and Far Cry 3). Otherwise, I try to finish stuff as fast as possible to maximize the cost savings.
Posted Image

#5655 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:40 AM

you could always pick it up again, when it is hits $10 during another one of bestbuys blowout sale, LOl

True.;) But I already saw the ending to the game and what was left was mostly stuff I wouldn't bother with for the most part anyway(hacking the rest of the cameras, taking down the gangs near those cameras, finding the rest of the collectibles and the racing).

Not to sound blunt, but you could always, you know...start thinking less like a flipper and more like a gamer? :booty:

Because CAG has made me mega-super-ultra-supremo cheap when it comes to buying games now, I try to make playing games the priority while keeping flipping in the back of my mind--easy to do with a 50+ backlog. I don't buy games that I intend to play to completion with the further intention of trading it in when I'm done (sometimes it happens to work out, like with trading in Sleeping Dogs to BBY for $33.60 after I 100%'d it and had paid $30 for it, but I didn't plan on doing that). If I flip, I usually do it with games I already own, can wait to own, or don't want; thanks to that, I have ~$450 in BBY credit, ~$95 in GS credit (~$110 after I trade in the 4 HDMI cables I still have, though not all at once :razz:), and ~$700 in Amazon credit (not yet but hopefully within the next two weeks) to spend on games I truly just want to play. Of course, that in no way means that I'll ever pay MSRP for something. :razz: As a side note, I don't consider the BBY GCU preorder-for-$20-RZ-certificate offer as paying full-price since I have 60 days to PM and it's virtually guaranteed that any game will drop in price within that period. If a game drops to $40 within that period, then if you factor in the $20 certificate, it's like I paid $20 for a release-day game. :hot:

Sorry for the mini-rant, but I don't think you should give up entirely on gaming just because you appear to have wanted to maximize your value. ;)

Not think like a flipper? That's unpossible(for me anyway).

The only places besides BB with the @Gamer coupons that I was getting ultra mega cheapo games were Kmart and Sears. Sears appears to be clearing out their entire gaming section and Kmart is at the end of a clearance cycle with nothing making it to the prices I would actually pay(or shit that was halfway decent disappearing before then) and be comfortable at keeping stuff for longer than a week.

Not to mention if I'm paying with anything but credit it has to be a 300-400% flip back to a store for me to have considered the venture worth it anymore.;)

There's one game in the next year that I would actually consider doing that with. That being GTA V, since I'm likely going to be playing the online for that regularly. But otherwise, most sequels of shooters and any other games I have a passing interest in will get a quick playthrough and be traded in before the disc is even cold after the credits get done running.

Posted Image

#5656 panda911

panda911

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:13 AM

What you do is flip stuff you don't want to play or extra copies of games you want to play. This way you make enough extra credit to offset the "losses" of the games you actually want to play and keep for a while. My mindset is you shouldn't be looking to make a profit off trading games, but more keep your gaming budget close to even. It's a win win.

#5657 eXiON

eXiON

CAG Grandmaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:25 AM

Well, even a year ago I thought trading games was absurd, and that places like Gamestop absolutely gave you crap TiVs for brand new games.

What finally gave me the impulse to start trading in was because I had a @Gamer sub (from March) and when they had the first 100% Trade In, I knew I had to unload games that I wouldn't ever play again or that absolutely sucked.

I don't buy 2-3 copies just to "flip", plus the hassle of going back and forth to rack up credit isn't worth my time, but that's just me. I try to do what the above poster wrote by trying to keep my budget as even and close as possible to what I'm going to sell it back to.

I got hit in the nuts several times with Max Payne 3, but granted, at least I picked up the Special Edition.

BB has begun upping their game lately though, you used to be able to buy games on sale from BB and still trade them back in a few days later and either get back what you paid or still rack up an extra profit from it.

#5658 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:31 AM

What you do is flip stuff you don't want to play or extra copies of games you want to play. This way you make enough extra credit to offset the "losses" of the games you actually want to play and keep for a while. My mindset is you shouldn't be looking to make a profit off trading games, but more keep your gaming budget close to even. It's a win win.

That's what I used to do with the clearance games I'd find, which in most cases would be so insanely cheap compared to their TIV's that I couldn't lose. But without that stream of easy credit to offset the ones I may lose on I feel I'm just better off keeping the ones I would otherwise lose on and let em rot on my shelf than take the loss.

My mindset used to be about finding the cheap deals, but once you start thinking like me it's kinda hard to go back to seeing a game as something to enjoy rather than a profit/loss ratio.

Besides which, there haven't really been any games I've really wanted to keep beyond beating them to say I had beat them lately.

Posted Image

#5659 LakeShow16

LakeShow16

Believe in Mitch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:54 AM

I was told by a Best Buy employee today that the 100% promotion ends in December, at the end of their fiscal year. Something about them not putting it in the ads after this week but it still being online is what I heard, but I'm not really sure.

tumblr_mrgtbor57c1s7vtbxo1_400.gif
swagbucks-468x60Alt4.jpg

#5660 devyanks90

devyanks90

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:07 AM

I was told by a Best Buy employee today that the 100% promotion ends in December, at the end of their fiscal year. Something about them not putting it in the ads after this week but it still being online is what I heard, but I'm not really sure.

unless it has changed in the last two years, best buy's fiscal year ends in early February.

#5661 Fukurou

Fukurou

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:47 AM

That's why I don't buy MSRP. There isn't anything that I'm in such a hurry to play that I wouldn't wait for a sale on. Sleeping Dogs for example could easily be $20 next month due to the coupon and a possible sale price. That, plus the fact that I have no current generation consoles, and I would buy everything only when it's really low. Also, I don't pay for anything anymore at Best Buy or Gamestop. The way I flip, the credit pays for everything.

#5662 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:12 AM

That's the way I am too. If not for finding a dual pack of Arkham City and Arkham Asylum GOTY at WalMart last BF that was left over from release and getting that for $20, then getting Driver SF matched there to Gamestops' $10 price then I would've spent $0 out of pocket last Black Friday. Albeit all of my $400 or so worth of purchases at BB cost me $20 OOP total with all of the credit I had and that included using my GCU B2G1 coupon on $40 BF sale games.

Posted Image

#5663 KtMack23

KtMack23

Retired from CAGing

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:37 AM

If I'm not banned after this week guys.... 130 disk only PS2 games

#5664 Vigilante

Vigilante

Always Watching

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:52 PM

If I'm not banned after this week guys.... 130 disk only PS2 games

~$0.52 (110% bonus) * 130 = $67.60.

If you think it's worth the risk, go ahead. :) I wouldn't trade them all in at once, though, and anyway, it's not like BBY has said they'll stop taking in :ps2: games anytime soon, so it would probably be smarter to space them apart, maybe 3-5 games at a time (and at different BBYs if you can swing it). I'm contemplating doing that, but I dunno...:-k

Cloud_Squall78.png

#5665 sabanoo

sabanoo

I like pie.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:05 PM

~$0.52 (110% bonus) * 130 = $67.60.

If you think it's worth the risk, go ahead. :) I wouldn't trade them all in at once, though, and anyway, it's not like BBY has said they'll stop taking in :ps2: games anytime soon, so it would probably be smarter to space them apart, maybe 3-5 games at a time (and at different BBYs if you can swing it). I'm contemplating doing that, but I dunno...:-k

3-5 games at a time at different Best Buys...? Even 5 games at a time is 26 separate trips for 130 games in order to make $2 or so each time. I think unless you live at Best Buy and have nothing to do every day that is insane.

While the profit margin is great on the PS2 games the time investment doesn't seem worthwhile to me.

#5666 Vigilante

Vigilante

Always Watching

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:16 PM

3-5 games at a time at different Best Buys...? Even 5 games at a time is 26 separate trips for 130 games in order to make $2 or so each time. I think unless you live at Best Buy and have nothing to do every day that is insane.

While the profit margin is great on the PS2 games the time investment doesn't seem worthwhile to me.

Yeah, you're probably right--too much time for too little profit. :-#

Cloud_Squall78.png

#5667 MetalSlugger

MetalSlugger

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR- suplexrepeat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:42 PM

FYI, with the @Gamer coupon Mass Effect 3 is now $10 new but the base trade-in is still $7...would they get pissed if you bought the game and went right back to Gaming to trade it in for $15.40?

uc.png

#5668 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:51 PM

Interesting. I still have ME2 sitting here sealed from the @Gamer coupon deal a few months ago. Maybe I'll have to buy part 3 and play both in quick succession and then trade them both back in.

Posted Image

#5669 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Proud New Lamp Owner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:30 PM

FYI, with the @Gamer coupon Mass Effect 3 is now $10 new but the base trade-in is still $7...would they get pissed if you bought the game and went right back to Gaming to trade it in for $15.40?

I don't think they like that, and it might even be impossible without waiting at least a couple hours, but I don't know cuz I don't do stuff like that.

Interesting. I still have ME2 sitting here sealed from the @Gamer coupon deal a few months ago. Maybe I'll have to buy part 3 and play both in quick succession and then trade them both back in.

Thank you for at least playing the games before trading them back in.

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#5670 Vigilante

Vigilante

Always Watching

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:39 PM

Nitpicking, but it would actually be $14.70 (the bonus 10% is derived from the base value, not the post-100% bonus value). 8-)

Cloud_Squall78.png