Photo
- - - - -

Best Buy Trade-in 3.0: So long! New thread started.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5936 replies to this topic

#5791 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:09 AM

Did you happen to see any of the deals of said scan?

Only saw one page and it had $20 GC with 3DSXL. Otherwise is was PS3 MSRP, Dishonored and Just dance 4 MSRP, Pokemon Black and White 2 $34.99 each.

#5792 coopscohen

coopscohen

All Skill, No Luck

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:20 AM

OUCH! I hope that isn't the case...That seems like what Gamestop is offering (at best) and BestBuy has had the upper hand here for some time with these trade-in prices....50% just doesn't do it for me considering that it's been 100% for quite some time. That's what I was afraid of...

Well, if that's the case (unless we have absolute confirmation) I'll have to run to BB this week and trade in all I can.

Yep. It's definitely down to 50% bonus starting Sunday.

#5793 PhilsUtley26

PhilsUtley26

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:09 AM

OUCH! I hope that isn't the case...That seems like what Gamestop is offering (at best) and BestBuy has had the upper hand here for some time with these trade-in prices....50% just doesn't do it for me considering that it's been 100% for quite some time. That's what I was afraid of...

Well, if that's the case (unless we have absolute confirmation) I'll have to run to BB this week and trade in all I can.

I'm sure when you compare 50% to 100% its not going to be that big of a deal as TIV will raise.

#5794 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Never tangle with the Best Friends Gang

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:30 AM

Traded in 8 games today, for some reason the guy gave me credit for trading in Red Faction: Armageddon twice. Noticed this when I saw the receipt but didn't feel like mentioning it because it took 25 minutes and 2 computer systems to finally get the trades to go through, and even though I mentioned it and the guy said yes, I didn't get my extra 10% GCU.

Later I realized it now looks like I traded in 2 copies of RF:A for 360. Forgive my ignorance if this is a stupid question, but could this be enough to possibly get banned from trading? I'm a very casual trader and have just been cashing in on some of my older games, so I really don't know much about BB trade-ins, but I don't wanna get banned. I don't think I will but maybe someone with more knowledge can help out. Thanks.

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog!

#5795 BroncosSB

BroncosSB

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:56 AM

^^
No banning if all you did was only 2x of 1 game. Even if you did more than 1 game, I doubt they will ban you for that

Not too sure if that will help. I went to trade in a game yesterday and found out I was banned again. Note that I was banned before but then reinstated. After upgrading their systems I'm banned again? This time I adhered to all the rules so not sure what's up.

So back to my story. After finding out I was banned I took my wife to a different Best Buy closer to home and had my wife do the trade in. System said she was banned too! The weird thing is that she's only done one other trade in for a handful of games and this was months ago! Either the new system tracks addresses too cuz that's the only way we were linked. She didn't use her Reward Zone or anything.

That weird. My wife ID wasn't ban after eher 2nd trade of 2x of 3 games couple of days ago. Her 1st trade was 2x of 10-13 games 3-4 months ago. Both time I used my GCU for the 10%. 2nd trade input a diff addr then mine whereas 1st trade same addr. So maybe address tie into banning. Did ur wife 1st trade involved more than 3 or more of the same game?

#5796 TooPoor

TooPoor

∀ Game, ∃ Buy Price

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:58 AM

The ban hammer reviewers/arbiters must hate it when the 100% bonus rolls around:lol:

Mathematically Correct.

Use factual statements, logical deductions, mathematical calculations and objective analysis; not rage.

My Trade List

NI_YA_SHA_BI.png

#5797 Toss

Toss

i love clearance ...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:12 AM

Traded in 8 games today, for some reason the guy gave me credit for trading in Red Faction: Armageddon twice. Noticed this when I saw the receipt but didn't feel like mentioning it because it took 25 minutes and 2 computer systems to finally get the trades to go through, and even though I mentioned it and the guy said yes, I didn't get my extra 10% GCU.

Later I realized it now looks like I traded in 2 copies of RF:A for 360. Forgive my ignorance if this is a stupid question, but could this be enough to possibly get banned from trading? I'm a very casual trader and have just been cashing in on some of my older games, so I really don't know much about BB trade-ins, but I don't wanna get banned. I don't think I will but maybe someone with more knowledge can help out. Thanks.

That would be ironic.
...and my dogs

LOOSE LIPS SINK (FL)IPS

#5798 BLAZETIGER

BLAZETIGER

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:28 AM

That weird. My wife ID wasn't ban after eher 2nd trade of 2x of 3 games couple of days ago. Her 1st trade was 2x of 10-13 games 3-4 months ago. Both time I used my GCU for the 10%. 2nd trade input a diff addr then mine whereas 1st trade same addr. So maybe address tie into banning. Did ur wife 1st trade involved more than 3 or more of the same game?

No. The first trade didn't have more than 3 games. If I remember right they were all random games as as I didnt want to draw attention to her account.

As for the second address attempt we didn't get a chance to try as the employee didn't want to even attempt it.

#5799 Lonegunman718

Lonegunman718

the thing that goes bump in the night

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:22 AM

ok i gotta ask i see they are giving $40 trade in on borderlands 2 would that screw up the 100%. i might have to bring some games in and see if i get lucky.

GT: Lonegunman718

#5800 edson13

edson13

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:36 AM

ok i gotta ask i see they are giving $40 trade in on borderlands 2 would that screw up the 100%. i might have to bring some games in and see if i get lucky.

$40 is with the 100%, normal trade value is $20.

#5801 Lonegunman718

Lonegunman718

the thing that goes bump in the night

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:43 AM

$40 is with the 100%, normal trade value is $20.

yeah just saw that in the other promo.

GT: Lonegunman718

#5802 KtMack23

KtMack23

Retired from CAGing

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:45 AM

How are you guys getting banned and after 130 ps2 disk only games in days, with a round 4 copies of every game in that stack, I still haven't been banned. Heck, they gave me an interview to work there.

#5803 sabanoo

sabanoo

I like pie.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:44 PM

How are you guys getting banned and after 130 ps2 disk only games in days, with a round 4 copies of every game in that stack, I still haven't been banned. Heck, they gave me an interview to work there.

If only we could all be so lucky to get interviews at Best Buy.

#5804 Enuf

Enuf

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:14 PM

I saw the scan on a different website of next week's ad. It says 50% :(

One of my BB store reps stated the 100% had been extended as of Tues & would continue till Dec. There goal is to have tons of used games stock for the holidays & they've been surprised by the volume of games they received this time. B/C the ad is done ahead of time this would make sense that they wouldn't be able to adjust it on the fly.

My suggestion would be to dump stuff like it's ending just in case they drop it for the weekly ad then raise it later just to be safe. Not that I don't trust my source but on the fly changes can get tricky.

#5805 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Never tangle with the Best Friends Gang

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:18 PM

^^
No banning if all you did was only 2x of 1 game. Even if you did more than 1 game, I doubt they will ban you for that

Thanks.

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog!

#5806 samusaran226

samusaran226

Bounty Hunter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:41 PM

How much does Best Buy usually offer for relatively new games? I see RE6 is worth $20 right now ($42 after 110%). Not that I dislike the game or anything, but after I beat it I probably wont play it for a good while so I was thinking I might as well trade it in now while I can get $42 and pick it back up later on when it's cheaper. Does BB normally offer around $40 for a recent game like this? I ask because I'm wondering if the TIV will go back up once the 100% bonus is over or if I should take advantage of the value now.

#5807 nosalenobuy

nosalenobuy

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:47 PM

How much does Best Buy usually offer for relatively new games? I see RE6 is worth $20 right now ($42 after 110%). Not that I dislike the game or anything, but after I beat it I probably wont play it for a good while so I was thinking I might as well trade it in now while I can get $42 and pick it back up later on when it's cheaper. Does BB normally offer around $40 for a recent game like this? I ask because I'm wondering if the TIV will go back up once the 100% bonus is over or if I should take advantage of the value now.

$20 has been the max

#5808 skyzen

skyzen

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:49 PM

Before the 100% kicked in, new games used to fetch around $25-$28 (base). Additional 50% will get you between $37.50 to $42.

#5809 GodSmackedMe

GodSmackedMe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:52 PM

A few of the biggest titles were 30 before 50% promo too, if I remember right. Might have been back when they were doing "with pre-order of X game."

#5810 Rafael122

Rafael122

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:58 PM

Really. Which one? It seemed like all the DC and NoVa stores (except Baileys Crossroads) require receipts, but the MD locations don't.

I went to the one in Columbia Heights and they told me because it was a locked store (whatever that means), they couldn't accept my games b/c I have no proof that I bought it at Best Buy. They sent me to the one in Pentagon City, they told me the same thing, but I managed to get LA Noire, Bioshock, NCAA Football '11 and Madden '11 off my hands for a grand total of like $18.

I called the one in Wheaton, Wisconsin Avenue, and Potomac Yards and they all require a receipt. Called the one at Bailey's Crossroads and told me they didn't have to have one to trade in games, so I'm going there first thing Saturday. At this point I want to get rid of these games, get NBA 2K13, AC 3 and maybe WWE 13.

#5811 JohnWayne

JohnWayne

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:07 PM

Does it say anywhere on their website that they accept games without the original case and artwork? Because like last month they said I couldn't trade in a game without the original box and art

#5812 DemonsMaster

DemonsMaster

Jrpg Addicts Anonymous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:09 PM

Does it say anywhere on their website that they accept games without the original case and artwork? Because like last month they said I couldn't trade in a game without the original box and art

I have traded in disc-only many times (mostly due to the recent wii buy 2 get 1 gamestop was having) and have never had a problem at all at any of the Best Buy's I frequent. Sounds like you just got a PITA employee or it could be that specific store's policy but that doesn't seem likely.

We can learn as much, if not more, from bad games as we can from good ones.

That's my justification and I'm sticking to it.

#5813 JohnWayne

JohnWayne

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:15 PM

I have traded in disc-only many times (mostly due to the recent wii buy 2 get 1 gamestop was having) and have never had a problem at all at any of the Best Buy's I frequent. Sounds like you just got a PITA employee or it could be that specific store's policy but that doesn't seem likely.

It was the store manager that told me this last time so I just said alright and drove like 30 miles the next day to trade the game in at the other best buy but I would really like to avoid having to do that again. They really should make some type of universal policy for trade ins

#5814 bob330i

bob330i

just lookin'

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:26 PM

Since I've been trading at BB, I don't recall ever getting or seeing anything much higher than $40-45 after any promo. I could have missed something as I typically don't buy games on release week and trade them in. It's just from the misc chatter on CAG.

#5815 Zolor23

Zolor23

Hey there.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:28 PM

I got my disc-only trade accepted for two games...weird.

#5816 GodSmackedMe

GodSmackedMe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:32 PM

It was the store manager that told me this last time so I just said alright and drove like 30 miles the next day to trade the game in at the other best buy but I would really like to avoid having to do that again. They really should make some type of universal policy for trade ins

From my experience, the store managers are clueless when it comes to gaming, trades and deals. Either that, or they're too worried about covering their own ass.

#5817 JohnWayne

JohnWayne

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:49 PM

From my experience, the store managers are clueless when it comes to gaming, trades and deals. Either that, or they're too worried about covering their own ass.

Yeah this manager is just an asshole. One time I bought a pair of turtle beaches and when I got home, I opened them up and saw that the packaging was basically ripped apart and everything besides the headphones were missing from the box like all the extra cables and manual/warranty info. So I took them back to the store and kindly asked that they give some type of discount on another pair or at least a gift card for the inconvenience since 1.) they sold me an open-box item for full price that was missing things and 2.) made me waste gas having to drive back to the store for something they did wrong. That same manager said sorry I can't do that for you, I can only replace them. I said ok, called corporate and told them what had happened and she gladly gave me a $20 gift card and filed a complaint on that manager.

#5818 KryllFood

KryllFood

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:26 PM

Yeah this manager is just an asshole. One time I bought a pair of turtle beaches and when I got home, I opened them up and saw that the packaging was basically ripped apart and everything besides the headphones were missing from the box like all the extra cables and manual/warranty info. So I took them back to the store and kindly asked that they give some type of discount on another pair or at least a gift card for the inconvenience since 1.) they sold me an open-box item for full price that was missing things and 2.) made me waste gas having to drive back to the store for something they did wrong. That same manager said sorry I can't do that for you, I can only replace them. I said ok, called corporate and told them what had happened and she gladly gave me a $20 gift card and filed a complaint on that manager.

I don't doubt that your store manager is a PITA but that little story makes you sound like a spoiled child. They happily offered to replace them for you because it was a mistake and yet you wanted more. Do you make a habit of demanding things at any store that made a mistake?

Unless that store you frequent has a history of screwing you over, I can't find a reason to really respond like that as a customer.

As for the disc-only...yeah they should definitely accept them. In fact, my BB instructs me to trade all my collector's editions as disc only so I can keep the case because otherwise, they'd just throw out any non-OEM packaging.

#5819 bob330i

bob330i

just lookin'

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:33 PM

As for the disc-only...yeah they should definitely accept them. In fact, my BB instructs me to trade all my collector's editions as disc only so I can keep the case because otherwise, they'd just throw out any non-OEM packaging.

Same here. I was shocked at my store's reversal. They had originally required everything: original cover art, manual and disk up through a couple months ago.

#5820 Woocls

Woocls

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:33 PM

It was probably a ploy to get you to stop trading in games.... Probably figured they could save more money hiring you than allowing you to keep trading in crap they can't sell. :)