Photo
- - - - -

Best Buy Trade-in 3.0: So long! New thread started.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5936 replies to this topic

#31 DarkRider23

DarkRider23

hates hoarders

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:34 PM

Be careful their trade in values are so bad now its a joke. A lot of games only net $1-2. I did notice most Kinect games get good trade in values. That is about it.

With all the games that got traded in from their DOTDs, I'm not surprised. Most games that they sold for $5-$8 during these past few weeks have dropped down to a $1 TIV.

#32 Toss

Toss

i love clearance ...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:03 PM

Don't get too excited, it was a 32" CRT that pennied out. ;)

lol

What's next? a PALM PILOT?

just kidding iam. :)

#33 xskaxninjax

xskaxninjax

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:31 AM

Went to my Best Buy today, and was told they can't do trade ins because their trade in machine is broken. Very annoyed, I asked how long it's been and if they have an estimated time for it to be fixed. They said it's been like two weeks now, and they have no idea when it'll be fixed.

So I had to go to the second closest BB instead, which is usually just as bad. I had to wait almost 10 minutes at the kiosk before someone came over to help me. Not because they were busy helping someone, not because there was a line, but simply because the employees were too busy talking to each other to care.

I feel like every time I go to Best Buy, I get more and more annoyed with them. If only their trade in values weren't so good most of the time...

#34 Daring

Daring

Wing Chun KungFu

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:25 AM

Looks like Kung Fu Panda (xbox 360) got abuse to hell... it traded in to BBY for 8.00 yesterday and now is only 1.00. hahhaha. found this yesterday but did not even attempt it. flipping game is cheese money. i've realize that its not worth my time and gasoline cost thanks to BBY epic TIV drops. Like everyone else, I think BBY will be done with pre-own games by the end of 2012.

#35 klimb22

klimb22

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:02 AM

Went to my Best Buy today, and was told they can't do trade ins because their trade in machine is broken. Very annoyed, I asked how long it's been and if they have an estimated time for it to be fixed. They said it's been like two weeks now, and they have no idea when it'll be fixed.

So I had to go to the second closest BB instead, which is usually just as bad. I had to wait almost 10 minutes at the kiosk before someone came over to help me. Not because they were busy helping someone, not because there was a line, but simply because the employees were too busy talking to each other to care.

I feel like every time I go to Best Buy, I get more and more annoyed with them. If only their trade in values weren't so good most of the time...

Trade-in machine or system? Every register in the CS area should be able to do trade-ins.

#36 DCpinoy

DCpinoy

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:04 AM

Found out I was banned today while doing a two game trade-in. Must have been another wave of bans, because I traded in on December 23rd. But yeah, the worker still did it for me.

#37 io

io

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:23 AM

Found out I was banned today while doing a two game trade-in. Must have been another wave of bans, because I traded in on December 23rd. But yeah, the worker still did it for me.

Same here almost exactly - traded a few games last week no problem, and then had problems today. I believe these were my only trades in all of December - about 8 games total.

At the first store they flat out refused to override. The clerk called the manager to override, and he wouldn't. He looked up my purchase history and saw that I bought a lot of clearance games and said I was violating the spirit of their clearance program and that's why I was banned. Note that I had not traded in any of those games and my purchases from the recent clearance have absolutely nothing to do with my trade-in history. In fact, I really haven't traded much of anything since the big clearance/outlet center stuff started in late November. He was just pulling a reason out of his you know what...

Then I went to the more friendly store and luckily got the guy who has processed most of my trade-ins before. But he was clearly puzzled by the popup and called his manager over too. They both knew me well, though, and did the override.

Here's the interesting part: while they wouldn't tell me exactly what the popup said, they did mention that it said to make sure that they knew that this was the actual person doing the trade-ins before overriding. Since they know me well they were laughing at that part. But that is an interesting twist I have never heard mentioned here before. It is almost like they think multiple people are trading in on the account or something? I dunno. I will probably tally up my trades and see if I passed some sort of barrier (like 50 or 100 games traded) to see if maybe that is the trigger. While I did go over 3 of some titles (and never more than 4), that was long ago (probably last time was in Sept) so I'd think I would have gotten rounded up earlier if it was just because of that. If anything, I've really laid low on trading recently, so even though I was expecting it at any time, I was surprised it came now after being fine last week.

The gaming guy at this second store said he would get it cleared up for me, but of course he doesn't know that one way or the other as it was all new to him. He is going to talk to his gaming supervisor (another person who knows me well) and see what the deal is. He has personally processed at least 75% of the stuff I've traded to Best Buy, and he couldn't even think of why I'd be having problems. Chances are I can still trade at least when he is there. But I'll probably hold off for the most part anyway (as I was doing already). I only traded 3 games in today just because of the 50% bonus with no strings attached. These were 3 games I'd never traded before (and I didn't bring any dups this time either).

As for all the "bad" values you may notice that for the most part those are games that were DotD or clearance items. They are smart to knock those down, but it doesn't really reflect on the trade-in values overall. They are still somewhat decent if you can find games that weren't part of their own clearance or DotDs. However, I still diverted several games I was going to bring to Best Buy to Gamestop instead tonight because I got more for them at Gamestop with their 50% bonus. And at GS I never have to worry about crossing some unknown threshold of trades and getting banned. I've probably traded at least 10x - 20x the amount of games there as I have at Best Buy.

Edited by io, 03 January 2012 - 06:34 AM.

#38 DCpinoy

DCpinoy

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:04 AM

the worker actually printed out exactly what the pop-up said for me. if anything i can post up the pic and exact text of what it says tomorrow. i left the paper in my bag. im kind of sad but knew it was inevitable for me. gonna talk to the gaming supervisor probably on wednesday and see what she has to say about it.

#39 Joe Fongul

Joe Fongul

Slave to the Grind..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:44 AM

For anyone looking to transfer credit from GS to BB:
Front Mission Evolved :ps3: is going for $8.99 used at GS. Current BB trade in value is $10 ($16 with 50% & 10% GCU bonus)
Posted Image

#40 PublikDefender

PublikDefender

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:16 AM

Is the 50% extra applicable for systems? Can I trade in a Nintendo DSI and get 50% extra for it?

#41 Corndog_McGee

Corndog_McGee

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:49 AM

I've never traded @ BB so sorry for a noob question, but do u receive this trade-in bonus for gaming credit only or entire store credit? I've got a backlog that I should prob trade in for more adult-like boring appliance purchases

#42 io

io

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:34 AM

I've never traded @ BB so sorry for a noob question, but do u receive this trade-in bonus for gaming credit only or entire store credit? I've got a backlog that I should prob trade in for more adult-like boring appliance purchases

There is no such thing as gaming-only credit. It is regular Best Buy gift card type credit. I used some of mine a month back to buy a new washing machine when ours went up in smoke (literally) ;).

#43 bagwelljeff

bagwelljeff

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:09 PM

Is the 50% extra applicable for systems? Can I trade in a Nintendo DSI and get 50% extra for it?

I'm pretty sure the 50% bonus only applies to games and NOT hardware

#44 Keen314

Keen314

CAGsiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:39 PM

the worker actually printed out exactly what the pop-up said for me. if anything i can post up the pic and exact text of what it says tomorrow. i left the paper in my bag. im kind of sad but knew it was inevitable for me. gonna talk to the gaming supervisor probably on wednesday and see what she has to say about it.

Please do post the text, we should get this added to the OP, so people who get banned have the info available.

#45 prayformojo

prayformojo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:44 PM

Anybody still finding Amazon kindle gift cards at Best Buy? I did a trade earlier today, but could not find any cards.

#46 Donut2922

Donut2922

Read the OP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:05 PM

Sorry to hear man. Welcome to the club. Budz was right all along. They are doing waves of bans. By my count this is the 3rd wave. I had a strong feeling I wasn't gonna be the last (I got caught in the 2nd wave).

I'm gonna bet that anybody that traded in any unusual amount of games thus far is gonna get banned eventually. Whether its the 3rd wave or the 10th wave - a good number of folks are gonna get caught in due time. I suspect that it's not so much about the 3 limit rule as it is the total number of games traded that loss prevention flags down for account review as unfair as it is.

For anybody thats worried but doesn't want to spend money on an upcoming sale, I would buy any random $1 PS2 game from GS or Amazon AWD and use that as your test trade. Good luck.

#47 Shaimun

Shaimun

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:23 PM

Sorry to hear man. Welcome to the club. Budz was right all along. They are doing waves of bans. By my count this is the 3rd wave. I had a strong feeling I wasn't gonna be the last (I got caught in the 2nd wave).

I'm gonna bet that anybody that traded in any unusual amount of games thus far is gonna get banned eventually. Whether its the 3rd wave or the 10th wave - a good number of folks are gonna get caught in due time. I suspect that it's not so much about the 3 limit rule as it is the total number of games traded that loss prevention flags down for account review as unfair as it is.

For anybody thats worried but doesn't want to spend money on an upcoming sale, I would buy any random $1 PS2 game from GS or Amazon AWD and use that as your test trade. Good luck.

I just got back from bestbuy and the Trade-in cashier also printed out the pop up for me as well. It was fun while it lasted. I guess I canceled too many pre-orders and I did break the 3 limit game once so I got what was coming to me. So beware of the policy guys. Don't break any of rules.

Here's what the sheet stated:
"Cannot proceed with this transaction"
"Best Buy Asset Protection for violation of Best Buy Policies has placed a person with this name and DOB on a list of persons prohibited from conducting secondhand transactions. If the customer believes this is an error, they can contact customer service at 877-210-4227 or email Tradein@bestbuy.com."

Edited by Shaimun, 03 January 2012 - 08:32 PM.
grammer

#48 outkastx

outkastx

Deals R Us

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:52 PM

Regarding the pre-order bonuses, I wonder if there is an issue with not picking up your pre-order. Some of us didn't cancel and some did, but how many actually followed through and picked up a pre-order? That could be a flag in the system as well.

I planned on making a decent sized trade-in today, hopefully I'm not in this wave of bannings.

#49 zeronotyethero

zeronotyethero

A Muthaf***ing Bunny

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:13 PM

Going to try and trade-in Bulletstorm. I say "try" since it's the epic edition or whatever it's called, and I'm not sure if it has the same UPC as the regular version.

I played it, didn't like it very much so now I can get rid of it for essentially the same amount I paid for it.

Also on a side-note, how do you look up games alphabetically by console. I did it yesterday, but I can't remember how I did it and whether it was on my phone or computer.

"Put some hot sauce on my burrito baby!"
adf.jpg

#50 io

io

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:44 PM

me. So beware of the policy guys. Don't break any of rules.

"Best Buy Asset Protection for violation of Best Buy Policies has placed a person with this name and DOB on a list of persons prohibited from conducting secondhand transactions. If the customer believes this is an error, they can contact customer service at 877-210-4227 or email Tradein@bestbuy.com."

See, that combined with the second part they told me about (where apparently it says they can override if they are sure they know who it is they are trading with) makes me think this is a loss prevention thing more than anything and should be able to be dealt with as long as you can show you aren't a thief.

#51 DCpinoy

DCpinoy

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:58 PM

thanks man, its all good. with what i was doing it knew it was inevitable. wait, you got banned too? how was our whole experience? i probably went over 3 games for about 4 different games. also, i canceled around 6 pre-orders and didn't pick up two pre-orders. so yeah as you can see, it was coming. i enjoyed the ride while it lasted. but im gonna see if i can get my ban removed or what the gaming supervisor has to say about it. also i would say that i traded in around 100 games max.

I just got back from bestbuy and the Trade-in cashier also printed out the pop up for me as well. It was fun while it lasted. I guess I canceled too many pre-orders and I did break the 3 limit game once so I got what was coming to me. So beware of the policy guys. Don't break any of rules.

yup, that's exactly what it said. here's a picture of the printout just for extra proof.

Spoiler

#52 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:01 PM

See, that combined with the second part they told me about (where apparently it says they can override if they are sure they know who it is they are trading with) makes me think this is a loss prevention thing more than anything and should be able to be dealt with as long as you can show you aren't a thief.

Which also lends credence to the theory that it's all over the limit based banning and does not have anything to do with visa cards or kindle cards or cancelled preorders.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#53 Boosted

Boosted

Trophy Huntin'

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:02 PM

Has anyone actually called the number to see if they could get their trade in privileges reinstated?

#54 DCpinoy

DCpinoy

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:06 PM

Has anyone actually called the number to see if they could get their trade in privileges reinstated?

IIRC, someone in the other thread said they had success by calling. they called about 4 times and finally had their whole account (history) wiped and were able to trade in again.

#55 Jimmienoman

Jimmienoman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:38 PM

I called twice and 2 people told me that they didn't/couldn't tell me what was going on just that there was a ban put on me. They said no one can override it and basically I'm SOL.

#56 dino88

dino88

Fa Fa Fo Hi

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:50 PM

I posted this in the other BBY trade-in thread that was just closed:

Found a good GS to BBY flip - Venetica (X360) at GS is $9 used and $10 new - BBY is giving $12 base which works out to $19.20 after 50% bonus and 10% GCU - Don't bother with the PS3 version as BBY is only giving $4 base

For anyone looking to transfer credit from GS to BB:
Front Mission Evolved :ps3: is going for $8.99 used at GS. Current BB trade in value is $10 ($16 with 50% & 10% GCU bonus)

Thanks for posting these. I have some GS credit I'm wanting to transfer, so both of these worked out perfectly. I traded in one of each and my personal copy of Singularity for $52.80 BB credit.

I also found another one if you're just looking to transfer credit. None of my local stores had it in stock, but maybe someone else will have better luck.

:ps3:Dance Dance Revolution (game only) is $19.99 at GS ($18 after PUR) and BB gives $15 ($22.50 after bonus/$24 with membership).

There is no such thing as gaming-only credit. It is regular Best Buy gift card type credit. I used some of mine a month back to buy a new washing machine when ours went up in smoke (literally) ;).

I was once in a shower when it caught on fire. Really.

Also on a side-note, how do you look up games alphabetically by console. I did it yesterday, but I can't remember how I did it and whether it was on my phone or computer.

Just click the tab above the search bar for whichever system you want to look at alphabetically.

#57 ryne candy

ryne candy

Duck Duck Duck

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:19 AM

Anybody still finding Amazon kindle gift cards at Best Buy? I did a trade earlier today, but could not find any cards.

Used BB gift cards (Xmas present) to get a $50 Amazon gc today. They also had $25 gc...they are separate from the other gift cards and iTunes cards.

#58 herpderp118

herpderp118

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:42 AM

good luck calling that number, its a total joke

its the "trade in" department and the employees just play dumb. they say theres nothing they can do for you because "someone at corporate made the decision." they repeatedly told me there was literally nothing they could do, he couldn't tell me how/why/when i violated the trade in policy, he couldnt even tell me what the policy was just told me the link, and he definetly couldnt unban/wipe/recreate my account cause that wasn't even possible (he was bullshitting by the sound of it)

gl with the number the computer screen gives you

Which also lends credence to the theory that it's all over the limit based banning and does not have anything to do with visa cards or kindle cards or cancelled preorders.

i have never traded over the 3 limit. not a single time

#59 outkastx

outkastx

Deals R Us

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:07 AM

Well, I got the dreaded pop-up. Guy was staring at the screen, had no clue what to do, called the manager over and I readily agreed to dismiss the trade and call the number.

good luck calling that number, its a total joke

its the "trade in" department and the employees just play dumb. they say theres nothing they can do for you because "someone at corporate made the decision." they repeatedly told me there was literally nothing they could do, he couldn't tell me how/why/when i violated the trade in policy, he couldnt even tell me what the policy was just told me the link, and he definetly couldnt unban/wipe/recreate my account cause that wasn't even possible (he was bullshitting by the sound of it)

Truth. A complete waste of time. A supervisor will be calling me tomorrow. In the meantime, I think I'm going to go into the store tomorrow and see if I can get the manager to give me a pass. I spend every single penny of store credit I get at the same store. No going to other stores, no buying gift cards/visa cards, just straight big ticket items at the same location.

#60 io

io

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:14 AM

i have never traded over the 3 limit. not a single time

This is why I'm leaning towards it being a simple quantity thing - ie, total number of games traded, regardless of title or quantity per title.

I'd be interested in knowing the least amount anyone who was banned had traded.