Photo
- - - - -

Best Buy Trade-in 3.0: So long! New thread started.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5936 replies to this topic

#91 outkastx

outkastx

Deals R Us

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:43 PM

"we reserve the right to refuse" is standard for every program and store. They don't have to provide you with any list of rules.

What you should've found out is who initiated the ban.

It was the same "someone at Corporate gave us your account id", "there is no number to call Corporate", "Corporate did not give us the reason why you are banned" blanket statements. I don't think they will ever tell us "who" did it.

However, she did mention that the Trade-in Center is a Best Buy company, so it's not like we're dealing with a third party. If that is true, then we know that someone at Best Buy is the one cracking down on this and not an external company.

#92 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:47 PM

I have never done a trade in, but I have worked in fraud departments and I have also had a amazon ban lifted from my account.

IMHO They are just banning high volume traders even if they are within guidelines, until they can decide on a new policy to limit trades. They may lift the bans once the new policy is in place.

#93 frpilot

frpilot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:52 PM

After watching the financial news today, I'm thinking that Best Buy won't have to worry about it's trade program. They seem to think BB is a going concern - in other words, a prime candidate for bankruptcy. This has been going on for a couple of years, but it looks as if a dismal end of year may just spell the end of BB entirely.

not sure if i should be happy or sad. it is nice to walk into their stores to check things out when i am bored and also sometimes to buy things that are sold out online. besides, where would people buy their electronics like tv and appliances if bestbuy and sears go down? (don't tell me online is the only way in the future)

#94 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:52 PM

they should just limit it to one title per platform and be done with it.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#95 Donut2922

Donut2922

Read the OP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:58 PM

"we reserve the right to refuse" is standard for every program and store. They don't have to provide you with any list of rules.

With all of the bans being reported simultaneously it must have been some random LP analyst that searched trade ins by drivers license. At that point whats done is done when it comes to initiation.

#96 akiefer

akiefer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:58 PM

After watching the financial news today, I'm thinking that Best Buy won't have to worry about it's trade program. They seem to think BB is a going concern - in other words, a prime candidate for bankruptcy. This has been going on for a couple of years, but it looks as if a dismal end of year may just spell the end of BB entirely.

There was a good article on Forbes a couple of days ago regarding that:
http://www.forbes.co...ness-gradually/

#97 akiefer

akiefer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:02 PM

not sure if i should be happy or sad. it is nice to walk into their stores to check things out when i am bored and also sometimes to buy things that are sold out online. besides, where would people buy their electronics like tv and appliances if bestbuy and sears go down? (don't tell me online is the only way in the future)

Amazon. Seriously. Read the above article. Don't know if I quite agree with it - I'd rather reserve the ability to box up a DOA television and take it back to the store than deal with shipping it back and forth.

#98 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:03 PM

For the 50% bonus, is that just for any ONE game or is that for every game I trade in (ie, if I trade in 5 games, will I get 50% bonus on each game?)?

Nevermind, missed it in the OP.

Currently playing: 

:wiiu: Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - :D

:vita: Valhalla Knights 3 - :-|

:ps3: Zone of the Enders HD - :-|

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related Goodies║Wantlist║

#99 perfectsil

perfectsil

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:05 PM

About time, now if only amazon follow suit and ban people buying games to just trade them in.

#100 akiefer

akiefer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:08 PM

It sounds like they are revisiting their Angel/Devil customer paradigm they used several years ago.

Linky:
http://arstechnica.c...004/11/4382.ars

Sorry for providing links and not summaries, but some people seem to care less and can skip it if they want.

#101 InvaderZim

InvaderZim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:08 PM

Pretty funny... guess it's time for you to move on.

I just had a real interesting conversation with a supervisor from the Trade-In Center. The key phrases were:

- I violated the "spirit" of the trade-in program.
- I did not break any rules, but they have decided to refuse service.
- The program is intended for personal use.
- No "normal" person should own more than one copy of a title (across platforms).
- Buying games for the purpose of trading them in to Best Buy was not allowed.
- There is no other number to call at "Best Buy Corporate"
- You cannot appeal the banning.
- The banning is for life.
- I am banned for life with no appeal.

So essentially what they are doing is removing all problem customers rather than maintain trade-in values. I mentioned that there is no issue at other stores which accept trade-ins, that there are no rules/guidelines posted at the B&M stores, that I did not violate any rules posted on the website fine print, and that the system should not allow multiple copies if that is against policy, but everything fell on deaf ears.

In addition, I mentioned that I should have received a warning rather than a banning, along with a list of guidelines I should follow from now on, but I think they just want to eliminate us rather than work with us.

Pretty interesting stuff - not sure they can actually get this program off the ground without our help.

#102 lawhorns04

lawhorns04

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:11 PM

Best Buy is a major corporation with a large team of business people and lawyers. If they want to prevent from people buying solely to trade in, they really should state that in their terms and conditions. It's not like they could not anticipate this happening.

At the same time, if you don't like a company writing the rules as it goes, then don't shop there ever again. Vote with your dollars.

#103 outkastx

outkastx

Deals R Us

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:20 PM

At the same time, if you don't like a company writing the rules as it goes, then don't shop there ever again. Vote with your trade-in credit.

Fixed.

#104 herpderp118

herpderp118

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:35 PM

worst buy for sure

#105 jiggyteddy

jiggyteddy

Frugal As Can Be

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:40 PM

Please let me know where the rules and regulations are in-store for the trade-in program so that I may peruse them. Otherwise, no one is abusing the system or breaking the rules.

No offense, but I guess you didn't read or at least skim through the OP?

I've stuck by trading max of 3 per title since that is what I have read as an official policy. Multiple gaming supervisors have also told me the same thing. That's good enough for me as "official" info.

Tried looking for "official" with Google, but to no avail. If that ain't good enough for you, then I am sorry.
Posted Image
Totally legit rewards app! Join shopkick on your smartphone then use promo code: tomato6347 to get 50 kicks instantly! I earned $360 in BB certificates for calendar year 2012 thanks to shopkick!

Now playing:
Metal Gear Rising, Fight Night Champion, and Dynasty Warriors 7.

My twitter is @jiggyteddy for my random ramblings...

#106 donut

donut

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:43 PM

I just had a real interesting conversation with a supervisor from the Trade-In Center. The key phrases were:

- No "normal" person should own more than one copy of a title (across platforms).
- Buying games for the purpose of trading them in to Best Buy was not allowed.
- There is no other number to call at "Best Buy Corporate"
- You cannot appeal the banning.
- The banning is for life.
- I am banned for life with no appeal.

So essentially what they are doing is removing all problem customers rather than maintain trade-in values. I mentioned that there is no issue at other stores which accept trade-ins, that there are no rules/guidelines posted at the B&M stores, that I did not violate any rules posted on the website fine print, and that the system should not allow multiple copies if that is against policy, but everything fell on deaf ears.

In addition, I mentioned that I should have received a warning rather than a banning, along with a list of guidelines I should follow from now on, but I think they just want to eliminate us rather than work with us.

Pretty interesting stuff - not sure they can actually get this program off the ground without our help.

now that's funny! :roll:
"I'd bet ya dollars to donuts ..."

#107 outkastx

outkastx

Deals R Us

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:47 PM

I've stuck by trading max of 3 per title since that is what I have read as an official policy. Multiple gaming supervisors have also told me the same thing. That's good enough for me as "official" info.

Tried looking for "official" with Google, but to no avail. If that ain't good enough for you, then I am sorry.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
Officially, Best Buy only accepts 3 copies of a game, per system (i.e. you could trade in 3 copies of a game for Xbox, 3 copies for PS3 and 3 for Wii). This is for sure the online policy, but it varies in stores. Some people have reported being banned for trading in more than 3 copies of games, others have done so frequently without issue. Obviously it is YMMV, but do so at your own risk.

This is correct, the online policy is 3 per title. The in-store policy is not displayed at the kiosk or in the rules. The online policy came about due to the LBP/AC2 fiasco last(?) year. The employees at my store told me 3 copies per trade-in. That would fall under the YMMV portion of the OP.

#108 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:51 PM

now that's funny! :roll:

I know. Cags don't quite understand the niche they fill.

#109 Toss

Toss

i love clearance ...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:52 PM

There was a good article on Forbes a couple of days ago regarding that:
http://www.forbes.co...ness-gradually/

Interesting article - Funniest part is the quote from the CEO to shareholders
"We believe our dedicated and knowledgeable people, store and online experience, broad product assortment, distinct store formats and brand marketing strategies differentiate us from our competitors by positioning our stores and Web sites as the preferred destination for new technology and entertainment products in a fun and informative shopping environment"
No wonder those in store employees make up bullshit, it starts at the top for this company.

The online policy came about due to the LBP/AC2 fiasco last(?) year.

haha forgot about that. I think that was about when gamestop.com changed its online purchasing policies also. lol

Edited by Toss, 04 January 2012 - 08:03 PM.

#110 Jimmienoman

Jimmienoman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:02 PM

He was merely commenting on their original policies when dealtree was doing their online TI. Basically all my stores and dealtree themselves said that they were 2 seperate entities and as such do not share the same set of rules.

The guidelines for 3 per console, per title, per year were only posted for online. My gaming sup said that they didn't receive the guidelines for in store until 4-5 months ago stating that they were "tentative" until a full policy is written for in store. They were already using this rule set because of online and that the kiosk will reject trade in if going over 3 in one transaction. So he assumed that's how it was.

The poster was right that there was no set policy for in store for a long period of time an still none posted for customer view to this date.

Saying that, it's a moot point as they can refuse trade ins from anyone. A better set of detailed guidelines would be nicer, even if they reserve the right to ban high volume traders.

#111 BudzMcGee

BudzMcGee

Clearance Bin Review

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:04 PM

Interesting article - Funniest part is the quote from the CEO to shareholders
"We believe our dedicated and knowledgeable people, store and online experience, broad product assortment, distinct store formats and brand marketing strategies differentiate us from our competitors by positioning our stores and Web sites as the preferred destination for new technology and entertainment products in a fun and informative shopping environment"
No wonder those in store employees make up bullshit, it starts at the top for this company.

CEO's get paid the big bucks because they can make up shit like that and sound like they mean it off the top of their head.

There is some truth to the fact that Best Buy is arguably making a mistake in their banning practices. Are there plenty of people who have used the program to their advantage, absolutely, but a used game retailer needs used games to sell. If you start banning anyone who trades in a lot of games you are going to end up with very few games to sell because lets face it, the majority of customers still don't even know Best Buy does trade-ins. Best Buy has likely lost money from this, but much of it comes from how they handled the resale part of the equation (30 days between taking the game in and putting it back on the shelf, shipping out for repackaging and then re-distributing games using some sort of system that makes little to no sense, used prices that don't react to new game/competitor prices... you can't make a profit in this business that way). Now they are reacting to that, but not by fixing the system and finding a way to have a more fluid system of TIV's like Amazon or Gamestop, but by just cutting off their source of used games in the first place. It's like trying to stop a river bank from flooding by completely blocking the river flow up stream rather than just finding a way to manage the flow. You end up with no river at all, which is just as bad as too much.

My video game site ClearanceBinReview.com - The right game for the right price.
300x156xBacklog-Quest-II-300x156.jpg.pag
Want to write reviews of iPhone and XBLIG's and get FREE games for doing so? We are looking for writers! Go HERE.

Sign up for Shopkick and get free Best Buy and Target gift cards for free! Sign up through here (referral) for 50 bonus kicks!

#112 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:15 PM

Two things keep flippers at bay: reasonable TIVs and bans. In my mind, they've done both when all they really needed to do was do one. If you want to make a big splash and have $30 TIVs knowing full well that you're gonna lose $10 a game to get the word out, that's not a bad strategy. But you gotta limit it to 1 per person or you will get abused. (And have dingdongs bragging about abusing you to boot.)

Personally, I wish BB would just implement a 1 per title per platform limit but give huge TIVs. That would make them competitive in my eyes.

It's better to get 10 of the same title from 10 people than it is to get those 10 from 1 person. The people who don't understand that are also the same people who don't understand that it's better to sell 10 of the same game to 10 people than those 10 games to 1 person.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#113 jr7936

jr7936

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:16 PM

question, i bought a copy of LA Noire used last week at best buy, and I just tried it, which i got an error message and won't play. If I bring it back will they give me the money back on gift card which is how I paid, or will they only let me exchange it

#114 Jimmienoman

Jimmienoman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:17 PM

CEO's get paid the big bucks because they can make up shit like that and sound like they mean it off the top of their head.

There is some truth to the fact that Best Buy is arguably making a mistake in their banning practices. Are there plenty of people who have used the program to their advantage, absolutely, but a used game retailer needs used games to sell. If you start banning anyone who trades in a lot of games you are going to end up with very few games to sell because lets face it, the majority of customers still don't even know Best Buy does trade-ins. Best Buy has likely lost money from this, but much of it comes from how they handled the resale part of the equation (30 days between taking the game in and putting it back on the shelf, shipping out for repackaging and then re-distributing games using some sort of system that makes little to no sense, used prices that don't react to new game/competitor prices... you can't make a profit in this business that way). Now they are reacting to that, but not by fixing the system and finding a way to have a more fluid system of TIV's like Amazon or Gamestop, but by just cutting off their source of used games in the first place. It's like trying to stop a river bank from flooding by completely blocking the river flow up stream rather than just finding a way to manage the flow. You end up with no river at all, which is just as bad as too much.

Lol. On the note of no one knowing about the trade in...

Didn't cnet just put out an article about trading in holiday unwanted games that showed the best and worst places. Included AMZ,TRU, GOOZEX and others as best then even included nextworth/target and Walmart. With no mention of BBY anywhere... I had a laugh at that

#115 Jimmienoman

Jimmienoman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:18 PM

question, i bought a copy of LA Noire used last week at best buy, and I just tried it, which i got an error message and won't play. If I bring it back will they give me the money back on gift card which is how I paid, or will they only let me exchange it

Only exchange per their policy. If they don't have a used copy to get to you in a timely manner then they have to refund you the amount on a GC.

If you get a nice CS and are lucky they might just accept it and return the money.

#116 jr7936

jr7936

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:22 PM

I just wasn't sure since i know that applies to new games, i wasn't sure if it applied to previously played games as well

#117 lordopus99

lordopus99

Training for the silver

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:38 PM

The store I primarily use has plenty of used games to sell. By cutting out flippers by banning, you lose out on titles that most likely won't sell used to begin with i.e. Just Dance 3 and currently Venetica(??). Volume down... sure. Mistake... heck no. There are still plenty of normal people finishing a game and trading it in. This is probably the group of users where they are getting the more "quality" trade ins from i.e. GoW3, Uncharted 3, Batman AA, CoD, etc.

If you shop at least at my store, there is no way you shouldn't know they do trade ins. Signs are around the gaming department. In Xbox section, half of it is straight used product in the center of the section i.e. prime spot (between newer games and 19.99 and under section). Gamer coupons show it.

#118 outcast529

outcast529

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:43 PM

Front Mission held, Venetica and Just Dance Kids 2 dropped ($5 each).

Not amazing trades but if you really want to transfer credit here are two more options:

:360: Fighters Uncaged is $17.99 at GS and trades for $12 at BestBuy. Best case you transfer $16.19 of GS credit to $19.20 of BBY credit.

:360: Guitar Hero Warriors Of Rock is $12.99 at GS and trades for $8 at BestBuy. Best case you transfer $11.69 of GS credit to $12.80 of BBY credit.

Best case is having PUR and GZUnlocked memberships...

#119 crazedracerguy

crazedracerguy

Clearance Devil!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:04 PM

interesting stuff - not sure they can actually get this program off the ground without our help.

ironically, I believe I used the same terminology just the other day about violating the "spirit" of the program.

That last quote cracks me up. That has to be the quote of the year. Can we just translate that to "I'm not sure how Best Buy will survive without thousands of copies of Duke Nukem, Fallout New Vegas, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood or any number of other titles that they'll never sell..."

Currently Playing:
:360: Rocksmith 2014

:xb1: Titanfall, Madden 15

#120 outkastx

outkastx

Deals R Us

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:12 PM

Ok, maybe I could have worded that better. :)