Photo
- - - - -

2012 Music Buying

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#31 GoAztecs

GoAztecs

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:30 PM

Has anyone had trouble finding physical copies of newer/less known stuff lately? With fewer places to pick from I'm going to be forced to buy more digital/online stuff.

Last week it was Lost in the Trees that was only available through Bestbuy.com. Which BB is the worst offender to not have it in release week only for it to show up weeks later at $9.99 everyday price. Frustrating.

I also have a few places that can order it for me for $15 and higher. Really puts a damper on my day.

Been scoping eBay though. Lots of promise. Have a reissue of Radiohead - OK Computer that was an accidental rebuy that should show up any day now. Oops.

I think my local Goodwill stores are sending their CDs to the main office to sell on their Amazon site. I get that they are trying to make more cash but at the same time it screws people like me who like to visit their stores to find random new music (and it looks like games are starting to be sold online too). I'm starting to wonder how much longer they will be selling vinyl in stores before they start sending that to their Amazon store as well.

I'm not really a fan of digital versions but it looks like that might be my only other option along with the local mom & pop and online retailers.

#32 commandercody83

commandercody83

SAMURAI!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:02 PM

^I haven't been to a Goodwill in a while. We do have some thrift stores that carry CDs, but the selection/shape of things isn't great.

The one great find I'd had at our Salvation Army was ruined when they couldn't find the disc in their "filing system." Vangelis - Themes @ $3 would have been awesome.

#33 GoAztecs

GoAztecs

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:31 PM

I hate it when some stores do that with discs, but it's either that or finding empty cases. I need to start checking out flea markets. Kinda funny considering when I go I always look for games/toys but never thought about music

#34 commandercody83

commandercody83

SAMURAI!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:55 PM

Thank god for the Tax Day sale at Google Music. Otherwise April is looking as pathetic as March.

Anyone doing Record Store Day this weekend?

#35 GoAztecs

GoAztecs

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:32 PM

Thank god for the Tax Day sale at Google Music. Otherwise April is looking as pathetic as March.

Anyone doing Record Store Day this weekend?

I never heard of Record Store Day but after looking it up and finding out my local spot is participating, I want to check it out. Only problem is that I'm doing some home improvement stuff this weekend but hopefully I can take a couple of minutes to check it out

#36 commandercody83

commandercody83

SAMURAI!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:08 AM

Sometimes there will be good stuff but it's kinda YMMV. Our small store doesn't get much usually but have had some quality items that survived the weekend rush of buying.

Only thing I'm looking for is the Gorillaz/James Murphy/Andre 3k "Do Ya Thing" release if the artwork is cool. Beyond that I didn't see any good exclusive CDs on the list.

#37 GoAztecs

GoAztecs

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:22 PM

I missed out on it, but talked to a couple of people and they said the selection wasn't too great. I still think it would have been cool just to be part of something like that but I guess I'll have to wait until next year

#38 georox

georox

The Captain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:11 PM

In no specific order since I have no idea what I have purchased when, and everything is in CD format:

David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust
Grendel - Timewave Zero (2 disc)
mind.in.a.box - Revelations
mind.in.a.box - Revelations (club.remixes)
Various Artists - The Devils Carnival
The Protomen - Whatever the name of their Queen cover album is

3DS Friend code - 1418-6866-3699

#39 pollmonster

pollmonster

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:20 PM

Jack White Blunderbuss $9.99
Yeah Yeah Yeahs Show Your Bones $9.99

#40 commandercody83

commandercody83

SAMURAI!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:08 PM

Record Store Day didn't net anything awesome for me. The Gorillaz album I mentioned was a regional thing.

Had an awesome coupon at V-Stock (buy one get one $19.99). Wish I got these more often.

#41 The Lord of Awesome

The Lord of Awesome

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:20 AM

From what I remember

Jan-

Elf-Elf
Flogging Molly 7" - Don't Shut Em Down
Legend of Zelda 3DS OST
Fozzy - Chasing the Grail/Remains Alive 2 pack

Feb-

And Before Elf There Were Elves
Rainbow-Rainbow
Theocracy- 7" Wages of Sin (signed)
Theocracy- Mirror of Souls (Signed)
Theocracy- As the World Bleeds (signed)
Blind Guardian - Memories of a Time to Come Limited Edition
Iced Earth - Enter the Relm Colored LP
Blind Guardian - Live
Helloween - Master of the Rings
Darkmoor - Autumnal
Type 0 Negative - October Rust
Ministry - Psalm 69: The Way to Succeed and the Way to Suck Eggs
Ministry - Dark Side of the Spoon
Seventh Void - Heaven is Gone
Iron Maiden - Dance of Death

March-

Rainbow- Raising
Demons and Wizards - Demons and Wizards/Touched By the Crimson King
Blind Guardian - Imaginations from the Other Side
Edguy - Age of the Joker
Pain - You Only Live Twice
Nevermore - Dreaming Neon Black
Forbidden - Omega Wave
Mastadon - Leviathan
Lacuna Coil - In A Reverie
CKY - Volume 1
CKY - Carver City
Hellyeah - Hellyeah

April -

Blind Guardian - Tales from the Twilight World
Blind Guardian - Mirror Mirror
The Answer - Everyday Demons Vinyl
Blind Guardian - Somewhere Far Beyond
Accept - Balls to the Wall
Warlock - Triumph & Agony
Ozzy - Black Rain
Fight - The War of Words
Motorhead - March or Die
The Darkness - Permission to Land
One Day As a Lion-One Day As a Lion
Trivium - In Waves
Rammstein - Reise, Reise

#42 commandercody83

commandercody83

SAMURAI!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:53 AM

On track to buy more this month than any other! Finding so much stuff after the drought.... But....

I'm choosing not to include my vinyl score from a yard sale today: 75 albums for $10.

We are keeping more than 60 of them after going through them tonight. Noticed on the box they said $1 each. Had a mix of country, jazz, pop, comedy, and rock.

Extremely pleased.

#43 GoAztecs

GoAztecs

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:53 PM

On track to buy more this month than any other! Finding so much stuff after the drought.... But....

I'm choosing not to include my vinyl score from a yard sale today: 75 albums for $10.

We are keeping more than 60 of them after going through them tonight. Noticed on the box they said $1 each. Had a mix of country, jazz, pop, comedy, and rock.

Extremely pleased.

Sounds like a heck of a deal.

#44 The Lord of Awesome

The Lord of Awesome

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:37 PM

Extremely pleased.

Can you tell me what rock/metal vinyls in the lot were?

#45 commandercody83

commandercody83

SAMURAI!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:37 AM

Can you tell me what rock/metal vinyls in the lot were?

Flipped through the box today, here is what I remember (rock/metal was a small section):
Doors - Strange Days
Iron Butterfly - In-a-gadda-da-vida
Strawberry Alarmclock - Incense and Peppermints
Switched on Bach
Vaughn Meader The First Family
Big Chill Soundtrack
Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack
Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass
Peaches and Herb
Bill Cosby
George Carlin (7 words album)

Some real classic stuff in there. Was staying at my parents so that was the entertainment for the evening: pulling out record after record to my parents delight remembering the songs.

I wish the last collection I bought was in this good of shape. It had lots of metal including Black Sabbath, ACDC, Judas Priest, Led Zepplin, Rush, and a ton (110 albums for $13). Sucky part was the sleeves are all in rough to good shape. Records themselves were just a little dirty.

Edited by commandercody83, 15 May 2012 - 12:48 AM.

#46 The Lord of Awesome

The Lord of Awesome

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:36 AM

I wish the last collection I bought was in this good of shape. It had lots of metal including Black Sabbath, ACDC, Judas Priest, Led Zepplin, Rush, and a ton (110 albums for $13). Sucky part was the sleeves are all in rough to good shape. Records themselves were just a little dirty.

Know how you feel. I got some imported AC/DC albums and the covers were absolutely horrible.

Got the new Sonata Arctica and Firewind albums pre ordered. Comes with a shirt for both of em so that's awesome. This month is a awesome music month.

#47 commandercody83

commandercody83

SAMURAI!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:16 PM

A friend turned me on to Discogs so I'm using it to catalog my record collection. You can view it here: http://www.discogs.c...eletorspimpcane

I've only finished the small box I recently purchased along with a few others I had lying around or recently purchased. Still have about 100 more to go. I'd also like to do my CD collection at some poin, but it's kinda tedious.

#48 arcane93

arcane93

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:52 PM

A friend turned me on to Discogs so I'm using it to catalog my record collection.

Heh, I've been meaning to do that for a while, but it's a seriously daunting task, so I keep putting it off (much like I keep putting off the reorganization that my collection also badly needs). I used to keep an Access database(!) of my collection, but I lost track of it several years ago and now it's way out of date.

One thing I like about Discogs is that you can usually search on the UPC (assuming that whoever entered the info included it), which is a lot quicker for finding a specific version of a CD than trying to drill down through a list. But I have already, in the few that I have tried to enter, encountered a couple of titles that weren't on the site at all. When you have to create a whole new entry, it becomes time consuming fast.

#49 commandercody83

commandercody83

SAMURAI!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:42 AM

I like getting Google Music updates about what albums are $3.99 this week... Only to find out I have most of them! But this week is different because M83 - Hurry Up We're Dreaming is on there so I may break down and buy it.

Also, I have to admit I'm addicted to Spotify. I've been using the 30 day trial to the fullest by checking out a buch of artist I've been wanting to hear. Not sure I'll pay for it when the time comes since I still buy a bunch of physical media...

#50 arcane93

arcane93

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:18 AM

Also, I have to admit I'm addicted to Spotify. I've been using the 30 day trial to the fullest by checking out a buch of artist I've been wanting to hear. Not sure I'll pay for it when the time comes since I still buy a bunch of physical media...

I've been paying for Spotify since last fall. The big reason that I find it worth it is the mobile app. I always had trouble with running out of space on my phone before, now I barely keep any music on it. It's nice having pretty much anything that I want to listen to available at any time, no matter where I am. The only downside is that if you have a limited data plan, you can end up burning through it fast.

#51 commandercody83

commandercody83

SAMURAI!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:39 AM

Picked up another 40 records from an estate sale today. Hope to add them to my Discogs before the weekend. Also may start organizing them in groups or lots as I pick them up.

Anyhow, it was advertised as 2000 records. Emailed the organizer of the sale, she said all records $0.25 each. Had. To. Go.

Got there about 10 minutes early, 2 guys were already there picking at the records. One was really nice, the other was a butthole to the sale organizer. He also happened to pick a stack of great stuff like the Star Wars soundtrack... for $0.25.

There were probably as many records as advertised, but half were 45s with and without sleeves. Another sizeable section were the terrible compilations. Luckily the nice guy was in to these. That left me to pick up some soundtracks, rock, country, and a ton of comedy albums. Stuff from Dangerfield to Rickles and Cosby.

Seller was extremely nice, wish I'd bought more...

#52 GoAztecs

GoAztecs

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:21 AM

Picked up another 40 records from an estate sale today. Hope to add them to my Discogs before the weekend. Also may start organizing them in groups or lots as I pick them up.

Anyhow, it was advertised as 2000 records. Emailed the organizer of the sale, she said all records $0.25 each. Had. To. Go.

Got there about 10 minutes early, 2 guys were already there picking at the records. One was really nice, the other was a butthole to the sale organizer. He also happened to pick a stack of great stuff like the Star Wars soundtrack... for $0.25.

There were probably as many records as advertised, but half were 45s with and without sleeves. Another sizeable section were the terrible compilations. Luckily the nice guy was in to these. That left me to pick up some soundtracks, rock, country, and a ton of comedy albums. Stuff from Dangerfield to Rickles and Cosby.

Seller was extremely nice, wish I'd bought more...

All I have to say is WOW! I would go nuts with a sale like that. As for Discogs how do you like it? I have an account but I never really used it, but I might start soon. Congrats on the new music!

#53 commandercody83

commandercody83

SAMURAI!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:07 AM

Thanks! I've only used it a little and find it easy to get in the zone and add records while watching tv. Still have a big box to go... So I'm kinda stalling.

I made a folder with most of my estate sale finds from Wednesday. A few weren't in the database (I'm too lazy to create a record) and 4 were for a friend.

Problem is, it doesn't let anyone but me see them... Hmmm

#54 commandercody83

commandercody83

SAMURAI!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:25 PM

GoAztecs, I'm jealous of your Goodwill scores. I'm lucky to find a single record worth purchasing there or any thrift shop.

Did get about 15 at a yard sale last week: Black Sabbath, Jethro Tull, Beatles, Alice Cooper...

Husband and wife had bought a collection from a DJ in Springfield, MO of 10,000 records. Purchased for $500 on one condition: if there were any signed records, they were to send them back.

Of course they found about 50 including a Doors 45... Signed and dated by Jim Morrison.

#55 GoAztecs

GoAztecs

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:53 PM

@Commandercody I have to say I am pretty lucky to live around a really good Goodwill store. The only drawback is there a bunch of folks who like to resell on eBay. The one odd thing is that they haven't had any CDs this year. As for the other thrifts one of the managers is really cool and if I find any LPs at his store he asks if I looked hard enough and tells me what he got in and what I should look for.

That husband and wife got one hell of a deal, and I'm impressed that they were true to their word about sending back the signed stuff. I don't think many would do that today

#56 The Lord of Awesome

The Lord of Awesome

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:11 PM

Dunno how many metal fans are on this forum but I did get all of these cds from various sites for under $100 total

Hammerfall-Threshold
Hammerfall-One Crimson Night
Royal Hunt-Collision Course
Cehador-Enter Deception
Almah-Fragile Equality
Richard Anderson's Space Odyssey-The Astral Episode
Damageplan-New Found Power
Venom-Resurrection
Cough-Ritual Abuse
Pathfinder-Beyond the Space, Beyond the Time
Blind Guardian-Another Stranger Me
Sentenced-Frozen
Angra-Holy Land
Primal Fear-16.6 Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
Primal Fear-New Religion
Bad Religion-All Ages
Evergrey-Glorious Collision
After Forever-After Forever
Fozzy-Fozzy
Helloween-Keeper of the Seven Key Parts I & II
Helloween-7 Sinners
Staind-Tormented
Jackyl-Jackyl
Exciter-Death Machine
The Offspring-Americana
Methods of Mayhem-Methods of Mayhem
Def Leppard-Slang
Black Sabbath-Black Sabbath
Power Symphony-Lightbringer
ChoasBreed-Brutal
Gamma Ray-Insanity and Genius
House of 1000 Corpses OST
Jag Panzer-Decade of the Nail Spiked Bat
Jag Panzer-The Fourth Judgement
Kenos-The Craving
Paradise Lost-In Requiem
WinterDome-Weltendammerung
Infernal Vengence-Dual Mayhem
VA-New Found Power Compilation
Nocturnal Rites-The 8th Sin
Nocturnal Rites-Grand Illusion
Dream Evil-Evilized
Dream Evil-United
Genius-Episode 3 The Final Surprise
Luca Turilli's Rhapsody-Ascending to Infinity (came with a T-shirt and poster too)

Overall. I need more.

#57 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Snipers and dirty tricks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:54 PM

Adding my June purchases finally:

June ($49.15)
Guided by Voices - Class Clown Spots a UFO ($13.99)
Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel is Wiser than the Driver of the Screw and Whipping Cords Will Serve You More than Ropes Will Ever Do (Deluxe Version) ($13.29)
Paul McCartney - Ram (Special Edition) ($11.88)
Everclear - Invisible Stars ($9.99)

Some of you guys remind me of my youth. :) In high school and college, I could average a dozen CDs a week easy. Eventually I kind of got to a point where I had already bought everything from the '60s and '70s that I wanted to hear, and my purchasing fell way off.

The new Fiona Apple is amazing though, easily the best thing I've heard so far this year.

card.png Ryuukishi634.jpg f7b9bd594fe9ca11e2a28b479ca21d4c_96ab1df

#58 simdog

simdog

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:31 PM

Got Serj Tankian's new CD today for $7, great stuff, Still wish system would make an album, i miss daron and serj together.

#59 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:41 PM

The new Fiona Apple is amazing though, easily the best thing I've heard so far this year.

It is really great. Another album that is pleasantly surprising is "Oceania" from Smashing Pumpkins. Best SP album since Mellon Collie, IMO.

I also really like Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds even though that is from 2011. Best "Oasis" album since Morning Glory, IMO.

I can't wait to hear the new Gaslight Anthem album - that's the next one I'm getting.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#60 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Snipers and dirty tricks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:54 PM

I also really like Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds even though that is from 2011. Best "Oasis" album since Morning Glory, IMO.

Yeah I like that a lot too, certainly way better than Liam's new band. My favorites from 2011 were the Decemberists and Wild Flag (Carrie Brownstein from Sleater-Kinney and Mary Timony from Helium), also the Foo Fighters album from last year was great, and Arctic Monkeys.

Although I have to admit being a major fan of some of the later Oasis albums like Be Here Now and Don't Believe the Truth.

I'll have to check out the new Pumpkins, hadn't heard much about it yet.

card.png Ryuukishi634.jpg f7b9bd594fe9ca11e2a28b479ca21d4c_96ab1df