XBL DotW & Sales 2012 | 5/1 BF3 DLC (DotW) | More

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5106 replies to this topic

#1951 - Glenn -

- Glenn -

The CAG formerly known as glennfrank

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:56 PM

Ive got to go back and replay castle crashers and trials HD demos, didnt like them the first time I tried. But I know they'l go on sale some time this year.

I loved castle crashers - and so did my girlfriend - she played it through a few (6?) more times with different characters

#1952 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:19 PM

Not that anyone cares but I think I know what I a getting this week.

For sure I got:

Deus EX DLC (Missing Link and Explosive Mission Pack)
Crimson Alliance (I played with the caster and I liked it. I will most likely Spend the money on all 3 characters just in case)

Maybe some other time.
Shank (Liked the Demo but it is a permanent price drop)

Not right now
Swarm (Its is only $5 but I was not really into it)

Undecided
TR:Underworld DLC (I have had it on my list but I am just not sure I want to even pay $10 for a game I bought for $7)

Most of the other stuff I either have or was not interested in. Play NBA Jam it is was fine but I just do not like sports games...which is weird because I love watching sports. Anyway, I need to at least try Underworld this week to see if I like the mechanics enough to buy the DLC.
Posted Image

#1953 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:32 PM

I'm getting Crimson Alliance (still debating single pack or 3-pack). Already got Shank, Swarm, NBA Jam, and LC:GoL. Not interested in any of the DLC.

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#1954 Bradisback

Bradisback

Pau hana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:42 PM

I'm getting Crimson Alliance (still debating single pack or 3-pack). Already got Shank, Swarm, NBA Jam, and LC:GoL. Not interested in any of the DLC.

I got crimson alliance w just one character then bought the dlc for the same amount that i would have spent on getting all the characters.

#1955 Chrono Gear

Chrono Gear

For the Horde!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:54 AM

Would be nice, but the first 2 they offered both kind of sucked. And both times the winner was just DLC.

They did do a poll that Pac-Man CE DX rightfully won. Even my brother (who never buys XBLA games) bought Pac-Man CE DX that week. Oh what a glorious week!

#1956 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:09 AM

They did do a poll that Pac-Man CE DX rightfully won. Even my brother (who never buys XBLA games) bought Pac-Man CE DX that week. Oh what a glorious week!

That's right, that one was actually good. I totally forgot about it. They must have done 3, because I seem to remember BFBC2 and ME2 both winning separate ones.

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#1957 Decker

Decker

Xbox Live Cannon Fodder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:13 AM

Not right now
Swarm (Its is only $5 but I was not really into it)

Good call. I thought the demo was okay and got it in a PSN sale. The rest of the game is pretty unplayable -- it has awful, awful controls and is zero fun. Man, I wish I had that $5 - $6 back because I'll NEVER play it again.

decker%2001.jpg

#1958 infiniteHorizon

infiniteHorizon

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:17 AM

Probably the only reason to get the Crimson Alliance all characters pack is if you plan on playing couch co-op with people... Unless you plan on playing thru the game multiple times. I think it also has online multiplayer co-op so if you plan on playing it that way probably just pick which character you want and you can play thru online with other people.

#1959 Crono-00

Crono-00

CAG, to Broke-AG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:18 AM

I've never been a Tomb Raider fan so I ignored Guardian of Light all this time but finally checked out the demo that has been sitting on my hard drive for over a year and I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. I don't know if I'll jump on this sale because I have a backlog of retail and XBLA games piling up, but I can see myself picking this up in a future sale.

I'm wondering when Rush'N Atack: Expatriot will go on sale, it's been out for almost a year now and didn't get the best scores. If Konami discounts that game to 400 I'll definitely pick it up because I enjoyed the demo.

I enjoyed the process of "discovering" Guardian of Light in co-op, experiencing the game for the first time alongside someone else opposed to having someone else who has played through guide the other who may be dragging the other down. We did try to attain as many of those goals, including the speedy run through in co-op as well. I only tried playing the game single player for a bit, and found doing the puzzle-platforming alone with a singular character possessing both "powers" to be just standard fare. The combat in the game is also just twin-stick shooter fare, so to me, the standout feature Guardian of Light offers is co-op puzzle-platforming. The downfall, is that the game doesn't allow for the two players to truly split up, so even online it constrains the view to include both players in frame. The game is not difficult, and it doesn't eat much of your time, so it could be decent in-between game when one is going through a backlog.

Rush N' Attack: Ex-patriot, I think Konami may have just ignored it being not a game many players focus on, and the Live team may not rush to send Konami a "we think you should have this game as part of our promotion!" e-mail. However, they do surprise me every now and then.

you'd think they'd have more request a deal polls on XBL...or even a more personalized one.

I remember that is how I got Perfect Dark HD (I could be wrong on this one, bad memory) and Pac Man: Championship Edition DX. However, I also remember a few more polls which were lists of the most common offerings. The latter type I remember the possible choices would consist of titles like: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 DLC, L4D DLC (all but the one that never goes on sale), Mass Effect 2 (the crummiest ones) DLC, and probably an XBLA title you already own like Risk Factions but they're probably over that so they may offer D&D: Daggerdale as the final option these days ^^.

I'm close to giving up as well and just going for the 5% back

The fine print of that reward does not explicitly say Games on Demand are part of the offer. I recall it explicitly saying avatar parts, DLC, and XBLA titles. Yet the title of the offer does say "marketplace purchases" which could include indie titles and Games on Demand, but I will not take that chance. I will continue to wait on Deathsmiles 2X and Crysis. I purchased a 3-month PS+ card to get RE4 & RE:CV on PSN (or whatever the acronym is now) where they offered the two downloaded titles at 50% off and that in essence more than paid off for the 3-month card, and everything else was bonus for the remaining weeks. I had hoped there would be a matching deal out on Xbox Live but it may take more waiting.

I loved castle crashers - and so did my girlfriend - she played it through a few (6?) more times with different characters

I am on the opposite end of the spectrum and do not like Castle Crashers. As a warning, from this point on, there will be distilled hate. I had originally purchased the game due to the praise, sale price, and enjoyment I had playing the game along with a few my friends (on a friend's system). I tried the game for a bit on my own and then I realize it was not the quality of the game for fun, but rather the quality of friends where the fun was derrived from. I can have fun with my friends, in a diner, at a social event, just hanging out, or just playing any other game. The game was actually very poor mechanically despite referencing and being inspired from other top titles of the same genre, it is a shame Castle Crashers gained nothing from the knowledge of the titles it tried to take aspects from (games like River City Ransom, Double Dragon, Guardian Heroes, etc.) and learned nothing to actually make a good game in the same genre. I can continue with all the mechanical reasons I find the game poor, but upon typing and backspacing through, it was quite wordy, so I will reserve that for conversation on Xbox Live or private message. I know it is a cop out, but the gist was "significance of attacks", "stage flow not designed for multiplayer starting out", "hit areas and vulnerability for players and some enemies not-consistent nor fair-ish", and "relyance on memories of good games to add to its own quality." On the plus side, it could be good for kids who laughs a lot at toilet humor (one deer sprays poo out, an owl craps itself in fear then falls into it, etc.), and you need to keep them busy.

I apologize for the haterade, but it's always a a fun topic of discussion. I understand that I do have an odd sensibility for games which is quite uncommon. If on the small chance others may have something similar to my odd taste in games, maybe I have warned against using this game for the 5% reward, besides, the game does often see its own sale on Xbox Live if one wants to evaluate for themselves.

Also, since I did say I couldn't remember when Crystal Defenders was ever on sale (and I quick looked on xbldb) couldn't tell me. Thanks for reminding me it was once on sale before. At least I am now assured there may have been a chance that's how I got the game, because I couldn't remember how/when I got it to begin with.

Edited by Crono-00, 10 February 2012 - 03:04 AM.
Dinner iPod reply ... the iPod is difficult to chew

#1960 Mega Man

Mega Man

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:20 AM

damn I'll just wait then

#1961 Dr. Pizza

Dr. Pizza

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:12 AM

All i see this week is Tomb Raider.... when i hear Square.. i think Final Fantasy... not Tomb Raider... >.>

#1962 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:25 AM

Good call. I thought the demo was okay and got it in a PSN sale. The rest of the game is pretty unplayable -- it has awful, awful controls and is zero fun. Man, I wish I had that $5 - $6 back because I'll NEVER play it again.

Respectfully but fully disagree. :)

Castle Crashers Hate

I found Castle Crashers pretty boring and generic, so you're not the only one who didn't really like it.

#1963 Barry Burton

Barry Burton

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:44 AM

tired of waiting for resident evil 4, i actually spent a minute or two on the "confirm purchase" button before finally deciding to wait a little longer

i think maybe it will be on sale when operation raccoon city is released next month

heck i'm not even sure if it's worth a purchase for me since i have the gamecube version

#1964 infamy

infamy

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:55 AM

tired of waiting for resident evil 4, i actually spent a minute or two on the "confirm purchase" button before finally deciding to wait a little longer

i think maybe it will be on sale when operation raccoon city is released next month

heck i'm not even sure if it's worth a purchase for me since i have the gamecube version

+1. Same with CVX.

#1965 Mega Man

Mega Man

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:01 AM

nope but it has achievements =D

#1966 intoxicated662

intoxicated662

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:04 AM

neither resident evil game or crysis are worth the $20 (1600 msp) purchase. I was bored months ago, had so many points and nothing to do so I bought both RE games and can't recommend anyone to buy them for full price. Not even nice graphics..
Posted Image

Posted Image

#1967 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:08 AM

RE 4 is a really amazing game and well worth $20 for anyone who has never played it before.

That being said, those who haven't played it can easily get a physical copy for much less for PS2, Wii, or GameCube.

Those who have played it, this version doesn't really justify its $20 price point, since it's a re-buy for them.

#1968 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:09 AM

I second that RE4 is a great buy for $20, provided you don't already own it on another console. And Achievements are nice. Reviewed it for Co-Optimus a while back.

I found Castle Crashers pretty boring and generic, so you're not the only one who didn't really like it.

Generic? It's anything but generic. Castle Crashers has more personality than just about any beat-em-up, and most games in general. It's packed with tons of content, beautiful artwork, a robust character building system, and more... It's easily one of the best, if not the very best, of its genre. Playing it for 5 minutes and then writing it off is just no good, Tyler Mane. Of course, I also disagree with just about all of Crono's criticisms, so maybe you guys played a different game.

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Phone Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

#1969 bigdaddybruce44

bigdaddybruce44

Murders & Executions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:20 AM

I bought RE4 the day it was released...and I already owned the GC version and still own the PS2 version. One of the best games ever...period. Worth $20 anyday of the week...

#1970 Crono-00

Crono-00

CAG, to Broke-AG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:17 PM

Generic? It's anything but generic. Castle Crashers has more personality than just about any beat-em-up, and most games in general. It's packed with tons of content, beautiful artwork, a robust character building system, and more... It's easily one of the best, if not the very best, of its genre. Playing it for 5 minutes and then writing it off is just no good, Tyler Mane. Of course, I also disagree with just about all of Crono's criticisms, so maybe you guys played a different game.

To me a good brawler has quite a bit of feel to it. In older games in the genre, the hits a player character dealt I think should be "meaty", significant such that it affects those hit by the attacks. A solid hit could interrupt an action and put the enemy into hitstun. Think of the God of War games or Streets of Rage (Bare Knuckle) games where the enemy knows they've been hit. I find Castle Crashers closer to World of Warcraft like in combat: where two enemies meet up and have a dance-off and numbers fly out for approval ("you got served"). I know one can use ice to put enemies in a frozen state or do the twirl for a juggle (even that is more like telling the enemy to translate up). Or one can just level up significantly such that when you hit an enemy, they just disappear due to the magnitude of number in Castle Crashers. I don't find Castle Crashers feels right to me for a brawler.

Hitting enemies feels artificial to me because the player character's attacks seem like they only work if you are on the exact pixel plane, not on pixel above or below (with exception to bosses' bellies). Even in old brawlers, like River City Ransom an enemy can be diagonally in front of you and still be hit if your attack overlaps the enemy's character sprite. To alleviate how Castle Crashers wants you to be on the exact plane, the enemies have a tendancy to "lock on" to a player's positioning matching the height and even shadowing the player's movement maintaining an out of reach distance for standing physical attacks (so a dash attack or flinging poison/fire/etc. is the option for the one locked on one side, but note the enemy on the other side is still locked on and still shadowing your positioning). One can notice this when fighting one another for a princess (a nod to Double Dragon) where you can easily miss attack against your friends because human players dont tend to lock on to the same exact plane as one another. This lockon and shadow makes it feel like you got hits off because the game chose to have the enemy hit opposed to the feeling a player making it happen.

Bosses seem to have only 3 points (not areas) of vulnerability: immediate left, immediate right, and their belly. If one or more of the players are behind the boss they can get displaced (pushed) but no attacks work. Also given the size of most bosses, they can just obscure those players' positioning. Common enemies seem to only have 2 (left/right), while all players feel like thier whole charcter area is vulnerable to attack (minus the guarded state, RT). Players behind the boss' fat ass can get hit by them but not vice versa.

For a multiplayer game, the game is kind of cruel in its pacing. It seems to say "either you play this alone, or your friends must have already levelled.". The enemy count nor experiece gained does not seem to account for additional players. So when you start out (lv.1) with friends there are not enough enemies/exp. to go around to just progess stage to stage. This group will have to repeat/grind past stages to be of proper strength for later stages. If one or more of the players are significantly levelled over other players, they either just carry the underlevelled players through or just wait and allow the weaker players to try to gain exp., either way someone will not be participating in playing the game. This could happen with say, the owner having played a lot, while guests/newcomers are starting off from scratch, and here not everyone is really playing together, they are just all holding controllers together.

I wouldn't call the levelling system robust. It is just choosing an attribute to increase, after certain amounts maybe more shards of ice falls, or the arrows go further. It's not a tech tree, just adding subtle increase in numbers, MMORPG style. The game doesn't feel like it gives you enough when you do level up, especially for later, it takes a lot for so little such that it becomes a grind.

I know I prefer pixel art, not saying vectors cannot also be done artfully as well, but I do wish Castle Crashers would show more life with more drawn animation rather than soulless translates (move) and rotates. It may have personality, and personality does go a long way (like Double Fine games), but sometimes it could just be I don't like the specific personality. ("The owl fell into its own dookie bush, haha")

Anyway, I'm just clarifying why I feel, Castle Crashers doesn't feel right to me. I love brawlers, and I think Castle Crashers is on the opposite end of ones I like such as the Streets of Rage (Bare Knuckle) series, Final Fight series, River City Ransom (Kunio-kun) series, Double Dragon, Guardian Heroes, SNES/SFC Turtles in Time, etc. That is quite surprising to me considering the game references and/or takes elements from those games. I enjoyed Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game because it felt right to me. Even single player contemporaries of the genre like the Musou games (dynasy warriors) or God of War clones have a feel which Castle Crashers lacks.

I have odd tastes in games, I know that. I like games most don't like and can dislike games others do, I may be wired wrong ^^. Many people like Castle Crashers, it is consistently recommended, but I did play the game more than 5 minutes and found it not to my tastes, and I'm pretty sure it was Castle Crashers.

Edited by Crono-00, 10 February 2012 - 12:34 PM.
Again, it was not the quality of the game, but the quality of my friends on why it is fun.

#1971 - Glenn -

- Glenn -

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:54 PM

Crono-00 - While I have read and disagree with most of what you say I realize that I am not going to persuade you otherwise. I am sorry you didn't like the game. :(

However, I did run over to xbox.com and metacritic and it seems that you are definitely in the minority on this one.
xbox.com - 4.5 stars 228,530 votes.
metacritic - 82/100 and 91/100 user scores.

#1972 locolukah

locolukah

Cheep Arse Lamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:03 PM

I bought RE4 the day it was released...and I already owned the GC version and still own the PS2 version. One of the best games ever...period. Worth $20 anyday of the week...

Agree 100%

Just need to beat it on professional for 1000 gs.
SWAGBUCKS - Earn Amazon gift cards: http://www.swagbucks...refer/locolukah
- you can earn points via searches, daily activities and codes: http://sc-s.com/
If you have any questions just ask!
Posted Image

#1973 drawingboard

drawingboard

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:26 PM

I've purchased Resident Evil 4 for 3 different systems already (Gamecube, PS2, and Wii). I just can't push myself to buy it again.
And I've bought Code Veronica for Dreamcast and Gamecube.

#1974 Gabrius

Gabrius

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:47 PM

I'm hopeful of a sale on the 2 RE games... and I have enough in my backlog already to convince me that while worth it at $20 each, I can certainly wait for a drop.

#1975 wEEman33

wEEman33

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:52 PM

Code Veronica really isn't a very good game. I sold my Dreamcast version several years ago.

The graphics were amazing for its time, but the story and atmosphere were crap compared to other Resident Evils.

Resident Evil 4, on the other hand, is one of the best action games ever.

#1976 Curlis

Curlis

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:00 PM

Also waiting for a price drop on both RE's! Although I agree if you haven't played RE4 before, $20 is a steal. Fantastic game! Can't say anything on CV as I haven't actually played it.

As for Castle Crashers. I had fun playing through it with a buddy, but once I had played through it once, I didn't really feel like playing it anymore.
Now Playing - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Posted Image

#1977 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:46 PM

I guess I should have specified that it had generic beat-em-up gameplay (and to be fair I should mention that it's not really a favorite genre of mine).

All I know is playing through it with my cousin started to feel like a chore about 1/2 way through. I couldn't figure out how come he could pick up some weapons and I couldn't, and the gameplay just felt so bland to me.

The art style is really awesome. And despite not liking Alien Hominid or Castle Crashers, I'm still looking forward to Battleblock Theater.

Agree 100%

Just need to beat it on professional for 1000 gs.

Despite it not being on sale yet, Xbox at least caught a break with Gamerscore. I got it with the PS+ discount, but the game has 1 gold (which I didn't even get), 2 silver, and 9 bronze trophies. For a trophy hunter like me, it was painful.

#1978 - Glenn -

- Glenn -

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:11 PM

I couldn't figure out how come he could pick up some weapons and I couldn't, and the gameplay just felt so bland to me.

The only 2 reasons why he would be able to pick up a weapon you couldn't are:

1- you weren't high enough a level to use it. I can understand if you were playing with someone a bunch of levels higher than you later in the game that could be frustrating.

2-If you were in the weapons frog choosing weapons you can only take weapons off the rack that you collected in-game.

I don't typically replay games anymore - I have a huge backlog. But, I did play castle crashers all the way through 3.5 times.

#1979 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:49 PM

The only 2 reasons why he would be able to pick up a weapon you couldn't are:

1- you weren't high enough a level to use it. I can understand if you were playing with someone a bunch of levels higher than you later in the game that could be frustrating.

2-If you were in the weapons frog choosing weapons you can only take weapons off the rack that you collected in-game.

I don't typically replay games anymore - I have a huge backlog. But, I did play castle crashers all the way through 3.5 times.

OHHHHHHH!!! It was reason #2.

#1980 wEEman33

wEEman33

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:14 PM

Yeah I am about as big a beat-em-up enthusiast as there is, and Castle Crashers does nothing for me. I went through it once with a friend and have no desire to play through again. I agree with the guy who said that the combat is just really dull and unsatisfying.

If all you want to do is grind out levels and loot, I guess it's OK. But I don't play beat-em-ups for that.

I'd much rather replay games like King of Dragons, Final Fight, Knights of the Round on the Capcom Classics Collections.

Alien Hominid was also pretty weak aside from the bonus stick man platforming mini game lol