XBL DotW & Sales 2012 | 5/1 BF3 DLC (DotW) | More

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5106 replies to this topic

#1981 Stoic Person Eater

Stoic Person Eater

Murder City Pandas

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:38 PM

Final Fight was my XBL arcade dream. I spent so many hours in the arcade at the Lake Chiemsee hotel, pumping quarters into that machine (and Strider). I haven't played it in awhile, but just knowing it's there on my hard drive - it warms my heart.

Hmm, they need to port Strider to XBL.

#1982 infamy

infamy

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:55 PM

Code Veronica really isn't a very good game. I sold my Dreamcast version several years ago.

The graphics were amazing for its time, but the story and atmosphere were crap compared to other Resident Evils.

Resident Evil 4, on the other hand, is one of the best action games ever.

I have nothing but good memories about CVX...I just always hated the name. It was as if it was some crappy spinoff when it actually had a good story, boss battles, and an important canon regarding Claire and Chris.

off-topic: damn, this topic moves pretty fast.

#1983 Barry Burton

Barry Burton

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:23 PM

Code Veronica really isn't a very good game. I sold my Dreamcast version several years ago.

The graphics were amazing for its time, but the story and atmosphere were crap compared to other Resident Evils.

Resident Evil 4, on the other hand, is one of the best action games ever.

i consider myself a resident evil fan boy, i think code veronica is arguably the best

the ashford twins are easily my favorite resident evil villains, i also love the music in this one

i bought code veronica the day it was released on xbla, admittedly i regret it a bit because the graphics don't look better, i justified buying it because of the bonus scenes in it that weren't included in the dreamcast version i originally played

#1984 dirtyvu

dirtyvu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:32 PM

I enjoyed the process of "discovering" Guardian of Light in co-op, experiencing the game for the first time alongside someone else opposed to having someone else who has played through guide the other who may be dragging the other down. We did try to attain as many of those goals, including the speedy run through in co-op as well. I only tried playing the game single player for a bit, and found doing the puzzle-platforming alone with a singular character possessing both "powers" to be just standard fare. The combat in the game is also just twin-stick shooter fare, so to me, the standout feature Guardian of Light offers is co-op puzzle-platforming.

the cool thing is you only need one person to own the game. the other person can have the demo. then the owner invites the demo person. the good part is you can play the entire co-op campaign. the bad part is you can't save your progress. get ready for a marathon.

#1985 Crono-00

Crono-00

CAG, to Broke-AG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:05 PM

Crono-00 - While I have read and disagree with most of what you say I realize that I am not going to persuade you otherwise. I am sorry you didn't like the game. :(

However, I did run over to xbox.com and metacritic and it seems that you are definitely in the minority on this one.
xbox.com - 4.5 stars 228,530 votes.
metacritic - 82/100 and 91/100 user scores.

Well, I acknowledge and embace how I have odd taste in games. Don't be sorry, unless you made the game, then you could be disppointed one weird perosn doesn't approve ^^.

I find the dashboard's star system to be a popularity system, since I think there may be a tendancy to just 5 star liked games and 1 star rumored bad ones. I imagine one would try to purchase what they like and rate/vote accordingly. Also this star system doesn't define if a person played some, none, or all of a game for a fair evaluation.

Metacritic is just an average of critic scores. Sometimes critics score games in a general sense for the dreadded "if you like this kind of game, then this game may be for you, 3 out of 5" (umm, no duh, "if I like it I may like it" sounds kind of dumb) which ends out to a 60. This is kind of why I ask persons I know or CAGs for opinions, I look for opinions rather than a review. There is no denying I am on my own for having an opinion different than that of critics sometimes. Yet, I know metacritic is a guide, a tool, for getting an idea if some game is worth looking at.

Though sometimes price may not be accounted for in the assesment, that's where I turn to CAG to see if "I can squeeze $5 worth of joy out of a game". So as I mentioned earlier if one can wait for Castle Crashers it has dropped to 600MSP a few times and may be on sale again which could be more worthwhile than 1200MSP w/ a 60MSP rewards rebate at this time, if one is willing to wait.

I am happy I have my own opinion, as you should be with your's on Castle Crashers. I just wanted to offer another perspective.

Now I have strayed quite a bit from the deals, but I am still looking for marketplace items to purchase to take advantage of the 5% reward. I intend on getting old items with a low likelyhood of getting discounts. I am actually getting to my backlog to evaluate if DLC is worth it for some of the games. I am currently playing Front Mission Evolved (don't judge me, it was $7 new with the preorder DLC =P), and still have no idea about its DLC value. I know others have complimented the DLC for Enslaved, and I will give that a whirl soonish. Maybe the Civilization Revolution and/or X-Men Origins: Wolverine DLC ... I don't think those will get a sale anytime soon, more potential purchases for me this month. Looking for suggestions or prespective of worth ...

Edited by Crono-00, 10 February 2012 - 08:09 PM.
Capcom's Aliens vs. Predator, D&D: Shadow Over Mystara ... show 'em how it's done

#1986 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:26 PM

Crono put into words a lot of what I disliked about Castle Crashers and part of even why I did not much care for Scott Pilgrim, though SP is definitely the better game.

And, yes, I LOVE beat-em-ups. Castle Crashers is just not that good. It's a mindless button-masher for co-op play but getting a root canal is fun with friends so that is hardly an achievement.

Speaking of root canals, the Enslaved DLC is really good. It cuts out the combat and turns it into a light stealth shooter sort of game. The mechanics there are great and even though the whole thing screams "We cut this playable content from the main game." it has enough rework to be entertaining and, dammit, the story was entertaining as hell. Even moreso than the main Enslaved story, in my opinion.
Posted Image

It was a smooth ride.

#1987 - Glenn -

- Glenn -

The CAG formerly known as glennfrank

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:29 PM

..am happy I have my own opinion, as you should be with your's on Castle Crashers. I just wanted to offer another perspective.

... I know others have complimented the DLC for Enslaved, and I will give that a whirl soonish. ...

Looking back on my earlier comment I hope I wasn't coming across as a jerk or anything. I was just using xbox & metacritic as examples that many people did enjoy the game. I know that everyone has their own tastes & I respect your opinion on CC even though it's the polar opposite of mine - you obviously have thought a lot about it.

Given the disparity of our tastes on Castle Crashers I will still tentatively recommend Enslaved & the DLC. I enjoyed that game quite a bit more than I expected to. I had rented it from Gamefly, beat it, sent it back & then bought it on one of the black friday sales - I often lend games to my girlfriend when I am done with them and I thought she would enjoy it as well (she's finally getting around to Mass Effect 2).
The DLC's mechanics were completely different from the main game and I found it refreshing and interesting to go into that game-world with a different play-style.

#1988 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:31 PM

And, yes, I LOVE beat-em-ups. Castle Crashers is just not that good. It's a mindless button-masher for co-op play but getting a root canal is fun with friends so that is hardly an achievement.

Perhaps you should add 'in my opinion' or 'in my extreme minority opinion,' since to many of us, it is that good and more.

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Phone Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

#1989 salty tbone

salty tbone

Flipmode Squad

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:35 PM

So is Castle Crashers going to be on sale? I'm having trouble following why suddenly so many CAGs are railing against it here.
[URL="http://www.goozex.com/trading/asp/goozexprofile.asp?id=558134175419"][/URL]

#1990 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:36 PM

Perhaps you should add 'in my opinion' or 'in my extreme minority opinion,' since to many of us, it is that good and more.

Sorry.

And, yes, I LOVE beat-em-ups. Castle Crashers is just not that good. It's a mindless button-masher for co-op play but, IN MY OPINION, getting a root canal is fun with friends so that is hardly an achievement.
Posted Image

It was a smooth ride.

#1991 Outinthedark

Outinthedark

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:39 PM

What beat-em-up isn't a mindless button-masher?

76561198014930049.png

#1992 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

25-Star General of the PSNOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:40 PM

So is Castle Crashers going to be on sale? I'm having trouble following why suddenly so many CAGs are railing against it here.

I think it stemmed from someone waiting for Trials HD and Castle Crashers to go on sale again even tho they didn't like the demoes for either of them, then someone else said stick with your first impressions, and it took off from there.

There's no news of Castle Crashers going on sale anytime in the future, though I'm sure it will some point this year.

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (9/25/14): Don't Tell Me What to Do, Pharm!

#1993 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:42 PM

Sorry.

And, yes, I LOVE beat-em-ups. Castle Crashers is just not that good. It's a mindless button-masher for co-op play but, IN MY OPINION, getting a root canal is fun with friends so that is hardly an achievement.

Look at you trying to win that Mr. Popularity award again! He doesn't do it for the attention, folks. He just doesn't.

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Phone Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

#1994 Gabrius

Gabrius

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:52 PM

...but all of that should have been implied when you saw that the post came from RollingSkull =P

#1995 Chrono Gear

Chrono Gear

For the Horde!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:13 PM

Where do I fit in the Castle Crashers divide? I am a long time beat-em-up fan and I thought the game was pretty good but not stellar like some people. Personally, I liked Scott Pilgrim way better than Castle Crashers.

There is no need to hate the game just because it's more popular than the game probably deserves (see Call of Duty for more on being more popular than sanity predicts). Let the fans enjoy the game and just be happy that people are playing video games.

#1996 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:23 PM

...but all of that should have been implied when you saw that the post came from RollingSkull =P

Pretty much this. I take everything RollingSkull says with a huge grain of salt.

No offense to him, he is entitled to his opinion as much as I am entitled to mine. But, in my opinion, he has a very unique taste for video games. Though I do agree with his position on Castle Crashers.

I liked Scott Pilgrim way better than Castle Crashers.

2nd.

#1997 Yars

Yars

I'd buy that for a dollar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:07 PM

The Devil May Cry series comes to mind. Some might argue that that's not a beat-em-up, but IMO that and the modern Ninja Gaiden games are pretty much what the genre has evolved into. The later games in the series have some gameplay mechanics that are pretty tough to master.

#1998 Crono-00

Crono-00

CAG, to Broke-AG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:44 PM

Looking back on my earlier comment I hope I wasn't coming across as a jerk or anything. I was just using xbox & metacritic as examples that many people did enjoy the game. I know that everyone has their own tastes & I respect your opinion on CC even though it's the polar opposite of mine - you obviously have thought a lot about it.

Given the disparity of our tastes on Castle Crashers I will still tentatively recommend Enslaved & the DLC. I enjoyed that game quite a bit more than I expected to. I had rented it from Gamefly, beat it, sent it back & then bought it on one of the black friday sales - I often lend games to my girlfriend when I am done with them and I thought she would enjoy it as well (she's finally getting around to Mass Effect 2).
The DLC's mechanics were completely different from the main game and I found it refreshing and interesting to go into that game-world with a different play-style.

No, I should apologize, to you and all here. I had not intended for any debate on CC, and by now I am sure many are sick of the topic and my wall of text posts. My large posts may appear combative, but never my intent, I am trying to be more concise, but I do lose some meaning as I did when I withheld delineating the issues I had with the game, so I elaborated and it spiralled out of control. I am sorry for this, sorry.

Your significant other is way ahead of I, I have to play ME1 a second time through still. That's why my backlog is difficult to tackle, I do revisit games, to play alongside others or I do enjoy them that much. Thanks for the input on the Enslaved DLC, I still gotta figure out the other titles.

Where do I fit in the Castle Crashers divide? I am a long time beat-em-up fan and I thought the game was pretty good but not stellar like some people. Personally, I liked Scott Pilgrim way better than Castle Crashers.

There is no need to hate the game just because it's more popular than the game probably deserves (see Call of Duty for more on being more popular than sanity predicts). Let the fans enjoy the game and just be happy that people are playing video games.

I could have sworn I spent quite a few sentences explaining my dislike of a game was due to its mechanics and not its popularity. It probably was the great mystery, since I love the mindless button mashing, how I was unable to enjoy it as others do. I have illustrated all the mechanical reasons to how it didn't feel right to me in an earlier post ... but it was not due to its popularity. I can also take pleasure in popular games as well.

Also another to the SP. =P

Sorry to all again. Also, any thoughts on the DLC I should get for 5% rewards? (aside from Enslaved, the other titles I listed before)

Edited by Crono-00, 10 February 2012 - 10:54 PM.
Off the rails indeed.

#1999 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:51 PM

#2000. Yes, I'm that guy.

#2000 crookshow

crookshow

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:04 PM

I think the Shank and Dishwasher games are the most satisfying modern beat em ups on XBLA. Button mashing won't get you far in those games, and it will take some skill to beat the hardest difficulty modes.

Scott Pilgrim is alright, but the graphics/sound is where most of the charm lies. Your character becomes totally overpowered about halfway in and the gameplay just gets stale fast. I had no desire to revisit it after my initial playthrough. I also think they really dropped the ball by not including online coop.

Best remaster of a classic beat em up is Final Fight by a mile.

Edited by crookshow, 10 February 2012 - 11:16 PM.

#2001 wEEman33

wEEman33

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:18 PM

Guardian Heroes.

#2002 S0DA POPINSKI

S0DA POPINSKI

New system, but such an last gen backlog still

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:24 PM

Since everyone is weighing in on Castle Crashers I am going to also.

IMO -

The 3 most overrated XBLA Games:
1. Castle Crashers
2. Braid
3. Shadow Complex

The 3 most underrated XBLA Games:
1. Geometry Wars (1 & 2 really)
2. Torchlight
3. Puzzle Quest

#2003 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:29 PM

IMO -

1. Castle Crashers
2. Braid
3. Shadow Complex

Here we go.....:D

#2004 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:34 PM

X-Men Origins DLC is literally just a combat room where you can spawn doods to fight. It's not really worth the price. A preorder goodie back before they figured they could offload those for cheap Deus Ex/JC2 style
Posted Image

It was a smooth ride.

#2005 OnyxPrimal

OnyxPrimal

Chocolate Goodness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:34 PM

IMO -

1. Castle Crashers
2. Braid
3. Shadow Complex

The 3 most underrated XBLA Games:
1. Geometry Wars (1 & 2 really)
2. Torchlight
3. Puzzle Quest

You are apparently drinking too much "soda". Shadow Complex is.... how do the kids say it these days? Oh yeah.. "The bomb diggity". Puzzle Quest and Torchlight are awesome so you get no complaint there. Castle Crashers I love. Braid... I own Braid. Had it for 2 years. Never played it beyond the demo.

#2006 wEEman33

wEEman33

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:41 PM

Yeah I was not a Braid fan, either. Great art style and music, but the puzzles just weren't very fun.

#2007 S0DA POPINSKI

S0DA POPINSKI

New system, but such an last gen backlog still

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:47 PM

You are apparently drinking too much "soda". Shadow Complex is.... how do the kids say it these days? Oh yeah.. "The bomb diggity". Puzzle Quest and Torchlight are awesome so you get no complaint there. Castle Crashers I love. Braid... I own Braid. Had it for 2 years. Never played it beyond the demo.

I think Shadow Complex is a good game. I just didn't think it was so great like everyone else. I really didn't understand why everyone loved it so much. Braid was good, Castle Crashers was ok too. But all 3 I bought on soooo many peoples recommenations and I just didn't find them that awesome. The 3 I listed as underrated I found to be the best on XBLA (Along with PacMan CE DX)

#2008 crookshow

crookshow

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:51 PM

I remember reading that Torchlight did really well on XBLA, and the game has sold well over a million copies across all platforms. I don't think you can really call it underrated.

#2009 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:53 PM

I'm not sure how Geometry Wars is underrated. They're critically acclaimed and beloved XBLA games, so the only way they could be underrated is if you think they should be bigger than Jesus.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki

#2010 Barry Burton

Barry Burton

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:49 AM

bastion is the most overrated

take out that narrator and nobody remembers it