Amazon.com : The Complete and Utter Failure of Seller Customer Service

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 schuerm26

schuerm26

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:28 PM

You have to remember that Amazon's margin is around 3%. Which means that if they have to float the bill for one bad sale, they have to sell 30 of those items to get back to even. Thus, the scorched earth policy. It's well known that Amazon will ban your account if they find out a banned user is using your account. Thus, I can't say I feel too badly for you. If anything, be mad at your potential wife for not telling you she had a banned account.

The scorched policy is tough, but fair. They give rock bottom prices to the consumers. Could they give you a second, third, fourth chance? I'm sure they could. But as others alluded, that would require them to raise their prices on their own goods because instead of an automated email they would have to have a bigger customer service staff, better IT tracking software for customer complaints, and more manager oversight to rule on the process. It's just not worth it to them. And they are going gangbusters as noted by their Christmas sales. So as sad as it may be that you won't be able to buy items from them, they'll make it up.

Yes, Amazon leans heavily towards the customer. But other bad sellers get on the site. I stopped buying "new" items from the marketplace unless the price was good enough for a used item because I've gotten clearly used items from that before. And these are sellers with 95+%. It's also really impossible to prove the seller was correct which is why they go in the buyer's favor. I mean, I could find a picture on the internet of anything in perfect condition, and send it to them. Same thing with the buyer, they could find a picture of an item broken into 1,000 pieces. There is just no way to prove who is actually telling the truth other than if the buyer says they didn't receive anything and you had delivery confirmation. But even then, they could say you send them a pen, and there is no real way to prove you sent them a game.

Amazon floats the bill? No they don't. They either take it out of your disbursement or charge the card you have to put on file. Whatever they do have to foot gets written off.

The scorched earth policy is ANYTHING but fair. My account got banned because a person bought a used printer that worked and the idiot couldn't figure out how to set it up. He complained. 2 people bought blockbuster DVD's that were marked as rentals. The left 0 out of 5 and complained eventhough they were clearly stated as rentals. Nothing about it is fair.

With your last statement, you are basically saying, what the hell is the point of selling online. Sellers can be dishonest, buyers can be dishonest. Ridiculous. There is a way to tell. Look at the sellers history, compared to some random buyer making a claim.

#32 vivafriend5

vivafriend5

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:23 PM

Their customer service towards sellers is not too swell. I wasn't banned or wiped from the system, but I had a customer pull a series of stunts. They wanted me to ship to a different address from the one they confirmed with. It's against policy, and you can be banned. It's scam territory for those unaware. I refused and refunded in a matter of about two hours when I got the "change my addy" e-mail from them. I apologized and told them it was against policy. I pulled the item and never re-listed it since it had perishable codes. A week later, they left a two out of five and left some bs statement that the other sellers did it and I wouldn't accommodate.

Amazon refused to support me in any way when I contacted them. Even though they could pull up the e-mail where he was proven to have asked me to violate their policies, they wouldn't do jack unless there was obscenity in the feedback message. I sent the customer two e-mails and a couple of weeks later, they recanted in guilt.

Somewhere along the way, in a blind rage, I left a one out of five feedback for them. They'll probably never know since they're too stupid to access it. Sellers can leave negative feedback on Amazon and see it in the proper subsection to know buyers are pulling shenanigans.

#33 smallsharkbigbite

smallsharkbigbite

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:55 PM

Video tape yourself packing the item into the box at the post office then handing it off to the post office.

Really still doesn't prove much. You could pack two boxes the same size and hand them the box with nothing in it. You could know friends at the post office and as soon as you've taped yourself handing it over ask them for the package back because you've made a "mistake" with the address and hand them the fraudulent package.

Also, let's say you send a "like new" disc based game. You can't see scratched even on some really scratched up games unless you hold it at the right angle in the light. It would be hard to prove condition on a video camera. Then sometimes it's just hard to explain. I bought a disc based game one time that looked in relatively good condition. I try most games immediately, but I was busy so placed it on my backlog. Well, it wouldn't load. I tried it on multiple systems that never had disc read errors and subsequently haven't had disc read errors. So I'm not sure why that disc wouldn't work, but I was out on that one since I sat on the game a few months before trying.

Edited by smallsharkbigbite, 18 January 2012 - 01:22 PM.

#34 smallsharkbigbite

smallsharkbigbite

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:00 PM

Amazon floats the bill? No they don't. They either take it out of your disbursement or charge the card you have to put on file. Whatever they do have to foot gets written off.

The scorched earth policy is ANYTHING but fair. My account got banned because a person bought a used printer that worked and the idiot couldn't figure out how to set it up. He complained. 2 people bought blockbuster DVD's that were marked as rentals. The left 0 out of 5 and complained eventhough they were clearly stated as rentals. Nothing about it is fair.

With your last statement, you are basically saying, what the hell is the point of selling online. Sellers can be dishonest, buyers can be dishonest. Ridiculous. There is a way to tell. Look at the sellers history, compared to some random buyer making a claim.

There is risk to selling online and you should know that. Dealing with people with good reviews is one way to mitigate the risk but doesn't remove it. On ebay you can't give customers feedback so obviously they could rip off a bunch of sellers and have nothing to show for it. Sometimes people build up feedback to just rip things off. I bought an item from someone with a 50+ ebay feedback at 100%. Next thing I knew he had 20 negative comments within a week. Needless to say I didn't get my item, but at least ebay refunded me.

Fair is in the eye of the beholder I guess. They come down hard on people that make them look bad and even if they don't cost them money up front have the potential to cost them money because people don't believe items on Amazon are accurate. So they make moves to protect themselves. Yes, consumers are largely unfair with expectations, but Amazon has been known to ban buyers that argue too much too.

Edited by smallsharkbigbite, 18 January 2012 - 01:19 PM.

#35 The Questyen

The Questyen

formerly gothamcentral79

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:27 PM

Really still doesn't prove much. You could pack two boxes the same size and hand them the box with nothing in it. You could know friends at the post office and as soon as you've taped yourself handing it over ask them for the package back because you've made a "mistake" with the address and hand them the fraudulent package.

Also, let's say you send a "like new" disc based game. You can't see scratched even on some really scratched up games unless you hold it at the right angle in the light. It would be hard to prove condition on a video camera. Then sometimes it's just hard to explain. I bought a disc based game one time that looked in relatively good condition. I try most games immediately, but I was busy so placed it on my backlog. Well, it wouldn't load. I tried it on multiple systems that never had disc read errors and subsequently haven't had disc read errors. So I'm not sure why that disc wouldn't work, but I was out on that one since I sat on the game a few months before trying.

Plus the fact they're not going to let you record video inside a post office.

Currently Playing: inFamous: Second Son (PS4)  -  Dead Nation (PS4)

Recently Finished: Uncharted 3 (PS3) / B+ - South Park: The Stick of Truth / B+ (PS3)