Lord of The Rings: War In The North Collectors Edition Xbox/ps3 $81/$89

I was just looking for a thread on this game in the 360 section to comment on how great this game is. I was originally interested, then completely turned off by the terrible reviews. But wound up picking it up thru GameStop when they had some glitch on it (months back), and just recently started playing with my brother, and am having one of my favorite gaming experiences of the past few years. I can imagine it wouldn't be as fun playing alone, but if you have someone to play couch co-op with, or even online co-op, this game is amazing. And I haven't really found anything to complain about, the graphics are good, music/soundtrack and all that is great, combat is kinda dull but addicting for more loot and story and leveling up, and it's LOTR, haha. highly recommend it!

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']I was just looking for a thread on this game in the 360 section to comment on how great this game is. I was originally interested, then completely turned off by the terrible reviews. But wound up picking it up thru GameStop when they had some glitch on it (months back), and just recently started playing with my brother, and am having one of my favorite gaming experiences of the past few years. I can imagine it wouldn't be as fun playing alone, but if you have someone to play couch co-op with, or even online co-op, this game is amazing. And I haven't really found anything to complain about, the graphics are good, music/soundtrack and all that is great, combat is kinda dull but addicting for more loot and story and leveling up, and it's LOTR, haha. highly recommend it![/QUOTE]

I have to agree with you. I am enjoying it immensely, more people need to pick it up. It is actually also great if you are only into the LoTR lore. Lots of story detail and characters.

I saw this last week at my local GS for $79.99 Xbox 360 version, and I think I will definitely get it once it hit $50, the Quiver look really cool

I agree. This one is $30-40 above my price point, but will definitely pick it up as I have heard some great things about it. Hard to beat LOtR lore.

I picked this up when it came out being a very big RPG, LotR, and co-op fan and sadly was let down.

The gameplay is great and the story is decent, meeting characters like Frodo, Bilbo, Elrond, Arwen, etc etc in Rivendell was a treat. There are side-quests and random loot from stores and drops. All of that is good/great, but to me it doesn't make me forget about the issues I had.

The game is extremely short, granted you can replay it with NG+, but even on harder difficulties it was very easy in single player. You travel from area to area using the map of Middle-Earth, and when you zoom out you see a ton of different locals. I first zoomed out when I started the game and immediately got excited at all the different locations I would hopefully be going to, even if only for side-missions.

Sadly that wasn't the case, you go to around 10-15 locations and that's it. Four towns/hubs, but really only three: Bree, Ranger Camp (this is the one I don't really count), Rivendell, and a dwarven city called Gundabad I believe. Then there are about 10 or so actual dungeons you go to and that's it. There are two challenge areas, that just throw waves and waves of enemies at you, but the only reward is a paltry amount of experience, no loot drops and no items/weapons are rewarded for finishing it.

This was my biggest issue with the game. It felt like it was teasing me, saying "Look at all these places, you can read about them, but you'll never go there!"

There was also a bug on my 2nd and 3rd playing of the game, I chose to play as the Ranger class and for some reason on those two playthroughs I could NOT use the mounted crossbows, it would let me mount them, but nothing would ever fire. To do so I needed to switch to a different class. While that wasn't game breaking it was annoying. Also, people have encountered game breaking bugs, but I can't speak on those first hand.

I picked this up on amazon for $35 after discounts and got a $20 promo credit, then decided to trade it in to BB for $37.50. This was the very first game I owned that I traded in in YEARS.

Best buy has the statue figure that comes with the collectors edition for $9.99 could always just get that and a cheap vanialls version of the game.

[quote name='Brother Daz']Playing alone definitely is not nearly as fun. I found myself getting bored when I'd play alone. Co-op is a lot of fun though.[/QUOTE]

*shrugs* I enjoyed it and I don't play any games co-op or online. It was short enough to not get tedious as an action game.

[quote name='biledriver']*shrugs* I enjoyed it and I don't play any games co-op or online. It was short enough to not get tedious as an action game.[/QUOTE]

I understand your point. Personally I play a lot of games online so I guess thats why I liked the co-op better.

[quote name='needler420']Best buy has the statue figure that comes with the collectors edition for $9.99 could always just get that and a cheap vanialls version of the game.[/QUOTE]

I may be wrong but I think that was a best buy preorder gift? The collectors comes with the quiver and maps but no statue I believe.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']I picked this up when it came out being a very big RPG, LotR, and co-op fan and sadly was let down.

The gameplay is great and the story is decent, meeting characters like Frodo, Bilbo, Elrond, Arwen, etc etc in Rivendell was a treat. There are side-quests and random loot from stores and drops. All of that is good/great, but to me it doesn't make me forget about the issues I had.

The game is extremely short, granted you can replay it with NG+, but even on harder difficulties it was very easy in single player. You travel from area to area using the map of Middle-Earth, and when you zoom out you see a ton of different locals. I first zoomed out when I started the game and immediately got excited at all the different locations I would hopefully be going to, even if only for side-missions.

Sadly that wasn't the case, you go to around 10-15 locations and that's it. Four towns/hubs, but really only three: Bree, Ranger Camp (this is the one I don't really count), Rivendell, and a dwarven city called Gundabad I believe. Then there are about 10 or so actual dungeons you go to and that's it. There are two challenge areas, that just throw waves and waves of enemies at you, but the only reward is a paltry amount of experience, no loot drops and no items/weapons are rewarded for finishing it.

This was my biggest issue with the game. It felt like it was teasing me, saying "Look at all these places, you can read about them, but you'll never go there!"

There was also a bug on my 2nd and 3rd playing of the game, I chose to play as the Ranger class and for some reason on those two playthroughs I could NOT use the mounted crossbows, it would let me mount them, but nothing would ever fire. To do so I needed to switch to a different class. While that wasn't game breaking it was annoying. Also, people have encountered game breaking bugs, but I can't speak on those first hand.

I picked this up on amazon for $35 after discounts and got a $20 promo credit, then decided to trade it in to BB for $37.50. This was the very first game I owned that I traded in in YEARS.[/QUOTE]

That really saddens me but I appreciate the heads up and the truth. I never thought I'd be let down by Snowblind, after Dark alliance, and Norrath. I would have loved a top down LOTR game with a ton of depth. The end result sounds like a mediocre 3rd person linear hack n slash action game that doesn't earn the title RPG. Not directly comparing the two but much like how I feel when someone labels Fable as an RPG....

Don't get this if you're actually an LotR buff, and want it for just the lore.

For example, trolls in the sun? First mention of it on the books was at the gates of Mordor. Not one person was surprised to see these trolls that shouldn't even exist yet.

Strider in Bree before the hobbits showed up? That goes against the lore too because he was actually southwest of the Shire, holding off a few Ringwraiths. He only got to Bree like a day or something before the Hobbits.

There's other stuff, if course.

It's also fun with couch co-op. Didn't play single player.

I paid like $30 for it (Kmart coupons, do the math however you want), and had actually canceled my $60+$20 credit preorder from Amazon. I didn't feel like it was a waste of my money, until...

I literally couldn't play it for over a month, because of a game breaking bug. We were stuck at reciting someone in Mirkwood
(Radagast)
, and would only let us repeat that mission for no rewards. We literally beat two co-op games, took a break, started another game, before they finally patches it. We haven't gone back to it.

The AI is stupid, btw. The dwarf is on AI for us, and just dies and dies.

If you're doing couch co-op, I think it's worth about $30 for the vanilla, so add what you think the map is worth.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back