Official 2012 Yard Sale Thread

• Please log in to reply
2495 replies to this topic

#1 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:19 AM

Post your hauls here and remember, pictures don't hurt!

Previous Threads:

Yard Sale Tips:
Spoiler

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#2 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2012 - 05:20 PM

how dare you! :lol:

#3 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:49 PM

how dare you! :lol:

Hey now, you had 8 days to make this thread. 8 whole days! Maybe next year. ;)

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#4 Floopy

Floopy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:53 PM

Had a pretty solid day yesterday. Have not gone out in a few months, but the weather was nice yesterday and a few sales looked interesting, so I decided to give them a look. Glad I did.

Posted Image

First sale had a nice PS one system, which had apparently made it through another yard sale they had a few weeks ago and went unsold. It was marked $10, but I offered $4 and it was accepted. Also noticed an opened box Starcraft 2 and asked the owner what the deal with it was. He said he opened it and never used the CD key, and he only wanted $2, so I took it home for that price (and it works, too). He also had a box of about 35-40 mostly fiction books/novels and was asking $.25 per book. I told him I'd take the box for $5 and he let me have it, even helped me carry it to my car. Later traded it into local used bookstore for $41 in credit, and they rejected about 12 books from the lot. After this sale, I hit a couple more with no luck and went home.

Went out again around 1pm and checked out a sale that was posted after my initial morning internet search. This one took the day's prize. Both pics are from the same sale.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This guy had a mess on his lawn. I approached his lawn and quickly found an n64 and a couple games, and asked him about any more video games. He told me he had more in the garage and hadn't put them out yet. He pulled out a massive bin with games for PS1, Wii, Xbox, Xbox 360, SNES, controllers, wires, etc. The only games worth getting excited over were the SNES games; most everything else was shovelware. I quickly found out that he buys storage units and sells the contents, and after fishing around, I decided that he knew he had some decent stuff but didn't always know the true value of everything he had. I originally offered $15 for everything in the pictures above plus a ps2 slim unit only (citing lack of cords/power units for the systems, and overall mediocre condition of most of the SNES games), but he threatened to take it all to a trade-in store if he didn't get $50. We eventually settled on taking out the ps2 slim from the mix, and agreeing on a $30 price point. He mentioned that he had about 30 NES games in a storage unit nearby, but when I tried to leave my number with him, he told me just to try back again next weekend. I'll do that.

As is common with most storage unit flippers that I've run across (who don't really have a specialized knowledge of video games in particular), they view the more recent stuff as being worth more, but don't know the values of particular rare games/systems. Highlights from the lot include a NES Top Loader w/dogbone controller (no hookups), a working SNES (no hookups) which are hard to find around here, and several uncommon/rare SNES games including Contra III, Castlevania IV, Sunset Riders, Blackthorne, Super Punch-Out, Super Mario All-Stars, and Donkey Kong Country. All had some form of moderate label wear, and aren't quite collector quality, but still work and will flip nicely. I looked for the cords for all these systems for a time after but couldn't find anything in his mess, but I know that I still made out like a bandit. A great set of finds for a weekend in January, or any weekend for that matter.

Edited by Floopy, 08 January 2012 - 10:19 PM.

#5 Rollobobo

Rollobobo

EAT SHIITAKE!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:01 PM

Great find. Wish I could get that lucky!

#6 TheHeef

TheHeef

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:09 PM

Just posting to get this in my subscriptions.

Have a new goal for this garage sale season, though: boxes. The lady of the house and I are doing some redecorating and I convinced her to set up my new game room how I want. Since I started treasure hunting, I've found enough boxes to decorate the room with them. A 2600 box, a Dreamcast box, two PS2 boxes (one fat and blue, one slim and white), just to name a few.

But until things warm up here in the Chi, I have to settle for Craigslist and auction houses. I did get my hands on an NES with the box right before New Year's, though. Keeping the box...still trying to decide the fate of the NES, whether or not to keep it.

Hope I get to post up some gems this year. Maybe I'll consider expanding my traveling a bit this year...

#7 C0dy

C0dy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:09 PM

Ah, can't wait for this season. The lack of cold weather recently leads me to believe it'll be coming earlier than usual too. I'll be ready! ;)

#8 Dark Rider

Dark Rider

Looks Dashing

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:29 PM

Well, I had a crappy year last year for yard saling. Here's to hoping 2012 is a great yard saling year for everyone!

#9 anotherpoorgamer

anotherpoorgamer

Bird's Nest Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:51 AM

I'd love to find a NES Top Loader w/ dogbone controller in the wild. I haven't seen one in over 10 years. Almost bought a Yobo for $20 because of that scarcity.

#10 Floopy

Floopy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:23 PM

I'd love to find a NES Top Loader w/ dogbone controller in the wild. I haven't seen one in over 10 years. Almost bought a Yobo for $20 because of that scarcity.

I've only been going to sales since the start of the 2011 season, and this was my first NES top loader. I hit probably 500 to 1000 sales in the spring/summer/fall. I was pretty excited when I saw it, too. I'm glad he hadn't put most of the video game stuff out yet, because I'm fairly sure it would not have made it til 1pm otherwise. Keeping it for my collection, because my NES Toaster had red blinking light and I hadn't gotten around to fixing it yet. One of my best finds yet.

#11 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:56 PM

I've only been going to sales since the start of the 2011 season, and this was my first NES top loader. I hit probably 500 to 1000 sales in the spring/summer/fall. I was pretty excited when I saw it, too. I'm glad he hadn't put most of the video game stuff out yet, because I'm fairly sure it would not have made it til 1pm otherwise. Keeping it for my collection, because my NES Toaster had red blinking light and I hadn't gotten around to fixing it yet. One of my best finds yet.

Yeah, I have only seen 3 top loaders in the past 3 or 4 years. I bought 2 of them, but left one because the owner wanted $25 for it and I didn't feel like paying that much for it without any games. In hindsight, I should have bought it. ;)

I got spoiled with my first one. It is basically perfect and I think I paid $4.25 or $4.50 (instead of $5) from an old lady for it.

My second I bought in a big lot when I stumbled on some games at a sale. Everyone was looking though bins of DVDs and I saw a lone rubbermaid with some fabric in it and it also had the top loader, some games, and some extra controllers (one was still in the gamestop pre-owned bag).

#12 TheAngryCAG

TheAngryCAG

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:06 AM

Yeah, I have only seen 3 top loaders in the past 3 or 4 years. I bought 2 of them, but left one because the owner wanted $25 for it and I didn't feel like paying that much for it without any games. In hindsight, I should have bought it. ;)

I got spoiled with my first one. It is basically perfect and I think I paid $4.25 or $4.50 (instead of $5) from an old lady for it.

My second I bought in a big lot when I stumbled on some games at a sale. Everyone was looking though bins of DVDs and I saw a lone rubbermaid with some fabric in it and it also had the top loader, some games, and some extra controllers (one was still in the gamestop pre-owned bag).

Are the top loaders really that special? My girlfriend has one chilling in the guest room at her house, never thought anything of it. I was always more interested in the complete copies of Ocarina of Time and Yoshi's Story she had, lol

#13 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:21 AM

Are the top loaders really that special? My girlfriend has one chilling in the guest room at her house, never thought anything of it. I was always more interested in the complete copies of Ocarina of Time and Yoshi's Story she had, lol

I think it is more a sense of pride/rarity. They do not get "the blinkies" though like the original design and some people like to mod them to have stereosound. The top loaders tend to have a line that bothers me more than having to fidget with an old model.

Actually I have 12-16 NES systems right now, so I basically mod any problem systems (I would rather not, if I do not have to) and give them all a good cleaning. I thought about doing a blog or showing my progress/procedures, but I am too lazy.

I haven't gotten into custom paint yet, but I plan on getting it together this year as well as trying some led mods.

I have about 30 games to finish cleaning and then I will be caught up.

#14 schultzed

schultzed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:39 PM

Only 4 months to go for sales here in Wisconsin :-(

#15 schultzed

schultzed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:43 PM

Hey now, you had 8 days to make this thread. 8 whole days! Maybe next year. ;)

I even sent him a PM about setting up a thread (about 5 days ago).

#16 TheHelix

TheHelix

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:51 PM

I must be lucky to have regular garage sales since I live in San Diego, but I've been working a lot of weekend mornings so I haven't been able to yard sale as much as I want to.

#17 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:39 PM

I even sent him a PM about setting up a thread (about 5 days ago).

That's why I waited...to give you a heads up.

(And I was sick for a few days. Beware of the flu that is going around. It hits hard for about 2 days. I thought I had food poisoning.)

Plus everyone bitched that I made it too early last year. :lol:

#18 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:04 AM

I apologize then for hijacking the thread. I'm on here frequently, so if anyone ever has any requests, I'll be happy to oblige them.

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#19 C0dy

C0dy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:08 AM

I like mine for two reasons:

1. Smaller size (even if it isnt THAT much smaller)
2. No messing around with games in attempts to get them to work (ie no blinking screen, blowing in games, etc) I hated that about my old front loader.

I do need a dogbone controller though :X

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who loves the Nintendo e-Reader.

#20 schultzed

schultzed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:02 PM

Not a yard sale, but . . . it was person to person--so I'll post here. Plus it will be months before I go to a sale :-(

I was at a pawn shop and the clerk was waiting on a customer (I wanted to negotiate a price on a set of ST Voyager DVDs--the complete series in great shape for $80). This customer has a bag and the clerk pulls out a Wii console and a SNES. The seller forgot their wiimote (I think the clerk said they'd might pay $35 for the whole thing) but he doesn't want the SNES. I follow the customer outside . . .

Posted Image

I pitched $5 . . . she came back with $20. I tried $10 but ended up at $15. I was happy cuz in the bag . . . it was complete with a copy of Mario World.

Posted Image

System works great but the power adapter is dead :-( Best of all, it is pretty free of yellowing:

Posted Image

#21 DeadStranger

DeadStranger

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:35 PM

One sale today for $15 got a Sega Genesis with 2 controllers and a copy of football '
94 (Haven't tested it yet but came with all the connections). Also got 2 Boxed Genesis controls and these 5 comics. There was at least 12 boxes full but I got there a little later and and older gentlemen had already started looking through them and I only got to look into one box he hadn't.

Posted Image

Now I'm not sure if these are even wroth anything but where would be a good place to unload them if they are?

#22 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:15 PM

One sale today for $15 got a Sega Genesis with 2 controllers and a copy of football '
94 (Haven't tested it yet but came with all the connections). Also got 2 Boxed Genesis controls and these 5 comics. There was at least 12 boxes full but I got there a little later and and older gentlemen had already started looking through them and I only got to look into one box he hadn't.

Spoiler

Now I'm not sure if these are even wroth anything but where would be a good place to unload them if they are?

The only one that stands out is the Ghost Rider number 1. Since the new movie is out and if it is a 1st print, you may be able to put it on ebay for $10 BIN and some sucka may buy it. :D

But, in theory they are all decent comics if they are first prints.

Jonah Hex comics have all gone up in the guide this year, #2 issues are always good like the ROM, the man thing is a 20 cent marvel which are always easy to get rid of on ebay, and the Savage Dragon still has a cult following.

#23 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:26 PM

The only one that stands out is the Ghost Rider number 1. Since the new movie is out and if it is a 1st print, you may be able to put it on ebay for $10 BIN and some sucka may buy it. :D

But, in theory they are all decent comics if they are first prints.

Jonah Hex comics have all gone up in the guide this year, #2 issues are always good like the ROM, the man thing is a 20 cent marvel which are always easy to get rid of on ebay, and the Savage Dragon still has a cult following.

I would like to add, I could pull all of these (except the GH 1) out from a cheap bin at a comic con, but I was responding in how you did in terms of selection. I know there will be comic guys saying "These are worthless. I can get them for nothing at a convention.", but I have been able to sell 'worthless' comics for a large profit on ebay, you just need to pay attention to trends, like movies and deaths when you list items.

example: there is a comic called Hardware. It can be found in any cheap bin at pretty much every comic con. It is one of the comics that everyone has in their collection or has gotten rid of by selling lots. I had 3 copies in my sell pile. The creator died. It is unfortunate, but death news always = sales on ebay. I listed the "Collectors edition" of hardware number 1 on ebay for $15 each shipped and sold all 3 within hours. Technically it books for $5 or $6, but I can pretty much guarantee there are some on ebay now for $1 if I ever wanted to add it to my collection.

EDIT: Just so you know this was last year, so don't go buying up copies of hardware #1 as it is worthless again. ;)

#24 DeadStranger

DeadStranger

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:24 PM

Well just checked and Man-Thing, ROM, and SD are first prints. GR is a volume 2 and Hex is a Vol. 3. So I'm guessing those are worthless?

#25 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:58 AM

Well just checked and Man-Thing, ROM, and SD are first prints. GR is a volume 2 and Hex is a Vol. 3. So I'm guessing those are worthless?

The hex should still be a first print. vol # has more to do with the series. Ghost Rider should read number 1 vol 2 since it is the second series under the title "Ghost Rider" I believe that one would say "2nd printing" at the end of that paragraph if it were a second print. (I don't have a second print, so I can not check).

A few months later marvel started changing the color of the cover for other issues like 5 and 15 to denote second printings.

#26 AugustAPC

AugustAPC

Inebrious Infinitus

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:24 AM

Here's this weekend's finds. I'm pretty happy with it.

2 NES games - $1 each.

Posted Image

X-Files Complete Series: Collector's Edition - $15

Posted Image

Posted Image

Puttin' that one up on eBay for $125-150. Unless anyone wants to make me an offer on it. It shows a bit of shelf-wear but is otherwise in very nice shape.

#27 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

He wears a disguise to look like human guys.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:58 PM

X-Files Complete Series: Collector's Edition - $15

Best score of the year so far. I'm very jealous.

#28 Otherguy676

Otherguy676

Grand Pawn Shop Champ!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:30 AM

Yard sales have been dry here for the last month or so but are slowly starting to heat up

In the last few weeks I have gotten

Azure Dreams PS1 - w/ case, missing manual
2 albums of Pokemon cards (includes some promos and holos / rares) $5 total
"Evil He Man" 1980 action figure - FREE (guy gave it to me after talking about the Robot Chicken sketch)
Thrust G1 Transformer (Body only) - $1.50
Sin Megami Tensei Nocturne SE PS2 Complete - $5
Valis 1 and 2 Gen cart only - $5 total

Im hoping it picks up after the Super Bowl, the weather has been in the 80s here so its definitely yard sale weather.
My games list, Just hit 1000!!!
http://users.ign.com...objType=1&lid=1

My Ebay Auctions - check this out and if you buy something, let me know your a CAG and Ill throw in some free swag (like uncommon cards or various promo items I find lying around)
http://www.ebay.com/...6/m.html?_dmd=1

Trade list
http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=95517
I an have a Sega Saturn Pro Action Replay 4 in 1 for sale, PM me if interested

#29 Invicta 61

Invicta 61

Gabagool, Provalone and vinegar peppers

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:20 AM

People here have been having true "garage sales" lately. Mind you this is Indiana in the middle of winter. They are advertising sales inside heated garages through Craigslist. Not sure how many people actually show up because I never go; they only seem to advertise furniture or crafts and nick nacks.
Bah weep granah weep nini bong.

And now I present Kate Upton doing the Cat Daddy:

Spoiler

#30 Theenternal

Theenternal

CAG got me pregnant

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:58 AM

I'm not sure if anyone has any good tips on yard sales but I would appreciate them. I'm a level 98 thrift store hunter but I don't have the best of luck on yard sales.

I get up early, even map out a direction, the main problem that I have, is I can only hit one or two until I'm part of this huge ass caravan traveling from yard sale to yard sale picking over scraps.

Edited by Theenternal, 26 January 2012 - 09:27 PM.

Posted Image
http://www.grapplemo...yevtakayama.gif

Removed IMG tags due to sig guideline violations.