Photo
- - - - -

Official 2012 Yard Sale Thread

• Please log in to reply
2495 replies to this topic

#331 Zaku77

Zaku77

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:05 PM

Almost always? Unless you ALWAYS buy for yourself and don't 'sell one thing to offset my costs for the rest', then you can't bitch about resellers.;)

It's like me bitching about the local game store owner and his one friend clearing out clearance or games from a good sale sometimes. I can do it, but I do the same exact thing. So while I'm a hypocrite for doing so, at least I admit I'm a hypocrite.:booty:

That's not true, anyway. There are certainly different levels of magnitude. Someone that will buy ONE extra copy of something to put up as an auction, not an inflated BIN, is different from the people that run to Toys R Us every morning to horde Skylander for ebay. (Just as an example) lol

Check out my youtube channel! I do video game collection updates, unboxings, final impressions, and intelligent game industry commentary.  Expect lots of collector's editions, as well as steelbooks from all over the world! :D

http://www.youtube.c...77?feature=mhee Twitter: https://twitter.com/Helldestroyer77

My Collection: https://docs.google....hvRG9LMlE#gid=0

#332 Floopy

Floopy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:19 PM

I've come across resellers in the past and most of them are total dicks. I don't understand it, being a reseller myself, I'm super nice to everyone I meet and it pays off! I saw a guy walking away with some games as I walked up to a sale, and after talking to the owner, he pulled out a boxed NES from his attic for me even though "the other guy was asking about games as well". Strange.

The last week I encountered a guy and a girl who didn't even bother to look around, directly walked up to the people running the sale and said "GAMES! Do you have any old games!?",

The person running the sale asked what kind they were looking for, and they responded "Nintendo. Playstation.". Meanwhile the guy walks off to look at DVDs.

She says they may have some Gamecube games, the girl says "That will work" then yells to her boyfriend "HEY COME TALK BUSINESS!!!". The girl running the sale walks up to her mom and says they wanted the Gamecube games and the mom quickly says "No, were not doing that today". Ha!

Just an overall attitude about typical resellers that bother me, money doesn't talk, but how you approach a situation speaks tons about what kind of relationship you're going to build with the seller. And you can build a relationship in a matter of minutes.

I'll second this. Being polite and not coming off as a dirtbag definitely helps a lot. I spend a few seconds browsing before I ask nicely if they have any old video games. Jumping out of the car, running right up the seller on a mission to loot anyting of value tends to raise suspicion. You have to disguise your motives somewhat. The entire time, I try hard not to waive a bright red flag saying "I'm going to resell 80% of what I find here." It helps a lot, and also helps when I bring my very lovely gf with me. She browses genuinely for a minute or 2 as well. Makes us seem like a young couple that just wants some old games to play. Which is true, but we have most of them already, so they end up online.

#333 Obiwan456

Obiwan456

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:34 PM

First time in a long time, I'm doing a picture.

Posted Image

Dragon Ball, Bull, MK, GTA, World at War, Club, Gundam, SOCOM, and the PSP were all one sale. Paid $8.50 for all.

Spoiler

Okay, Secondly, CoD : Bo and Dead Space were $12. The kid originally said $30 but ended up talking himself down to $15, and I offered $12. Almost thinking about keeping Dead Space for myself, but I'll probably sell it and pick it up for 360 sometime down the road.

#334 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:47 PM

Going to yard sales and only looking for games is foolish as I have said in the past, there are many other items available for picking that are great for reselling, you must broaden your spectrum a bit if you are a reseller only looking for games. If you are bothering to drive to yard sales and use up gas then you may as well pick over everything that is there or at least buy some things for yourself while in the process. If I was going to sales and just looking for one category of items then I wouldn't even bother wasting the gas to do it, as there is no way there is enough profit in it even if I went to every single yard sale in my whole area. I would still have limited time to hit every sale as sales only go on for so long. I may get a few games per summer that I can turn a profit on but most of the time the games I find at yard sales are close to ebay prices because most of the games I find at yard sales are shovelware that doesn't sell for more than $3-7 on ebay, and even if you are buying those games for 25 cents to a dollar, you can't make enough money off it to justify the time and gas money spent.

My advice would be to figure out what is common in your area at sales then look them up on ebay ahead of time and figure out which are the highest price items, if you see a lot of kids clothes, you can make money off that too if done right, find out which brands are ripe for selling and buy those up in good condition for 25 cents or 50 cents a piece then package them together in lots by size for selling...etc.

90% of the items I get also require a holding time before they are sellable, summer isn't exactly prime ebay season, and I can't exactly sell a winter coat in summer if you know what I mean, so I have to hold most of my items until they are ripe for selling which is usually around the holidays.

You also have to think about local selling opportunities, I know I can trade most cell phones into this stand at the fleamarket for around $5 each if they are working, so if I see phones for $1 which I do frequently, then I pick them up, these phones won't sell on ebay since they don't have high enough value (some do and if so, bonus for me!), but I can trade them to the flea market to make money. One time I walked out of the flea market with $95 cash in my pocket from items I brought to different vendors and traded in for cash, and it only took me about 30 min and no hassle to do it, also no ebay fees!

Like the person who grabs skylanders from TRU to resell, that is not worth it for me either, for each trip I would have to drive 30-45 to the nearest TRU for them, that is a lot of wasted gas just to see if they have some. I think this bubble will burst fast as Gamestop is gonna start taking in trades on skylanders. It would be different if I lived within walking distance of a TRU store but I don't, and most TRU's here are in huge shopping districts with no housing close by so it would be very hard to be located within walking distance of one. The hot items like this are also more prone to people buying them and then claiming the item is damaged or not working or that the package arrived empty, then you are out money because ebay almost always sides with the buyer.

Super easy to combat resellers at your yard sales, if you are running a yard sale and you get people that are obvious resellers (run up to your sale and ask for games) then just tell them you have to look up the price of the item on ebay before you decide how much you want to sell it for. Sit there with a laptop or a smartphone. That should put them in their place.

The reason people have yard sales is to unload junk, however where I am its simply not worth it to have a yard sale, if you truly have junk that is not worth ebaying then you can only count on making about $50-70 on it, the ad in the paper costs $35-40 and you have to have an ad or else no one will come (trust me, tried it before). That isn't really worth getting up at 5am on saturday and sitting out with the stuff all day for a few bucks, and not everything will sell either so you have to deal with leftovers. You are better off just donating all your stuff, throwing it out or giving it away to friends. The only way to make good money at a yard sale here is to unload large things like furniture or large appliances and put an ad on craigslist advertising each large item and say its viewable at yard sale on x and x day.

I am super friendly and I stop to look at all the wares before I ask for something I may be looking for in specific, and I only do that if I really want them item or if I think the person might have the item that I want. I also look like I have kids, and I am the perfect age to have kids, but I really don't have kids, but all the toys and games are really for me, lol.

Edited by SaraAB, 23 April 2012 - 05:13 PM.

#335 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:52 PM

Going to yard sales and only looking for games is foolish as I have said in the past, there are many other items available for picking that are great for reselling, you must broaden your spectrum a bit if you are a reseller only looking for games. If you are bothering to drive to yard sales and use up gas then you may as well pick over everything that is there or at least buy some things for yourself while in the process. You won't make much on games here alone.

Super easy to combat resellers at your yard sales, if you are running a yard sale and you get people that are obvious resellers (run up to your sale and ask for games) then just tell them you have to look up the price of the item on ebay before you decide how much you want to sell it for. Sit there with a laptop or a smartphone. That should put them in their place.

I have a dirtier tactic I would like to try. Have a friend or family member run a sale the same day that there is one that advertises games. Start at the same time and make your ad more enticing, so your competition starts at your sale while you hit the good sale. :lol:

You could also have them purposely delay bringing out the games and/or say "come back later since the game person isn't here".

I would do it, but I don't want my nemesis to know where I live in case things get ugly on the road.

#336 Obiwan456

Obiwan456

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:52 PM

Well I only look for games, but I can afford to do that because I go garage saleing with my dad, who looks for basically everything but videogames. So I don't have to pay for gas.

Plus, I can't sell online, and that seems to be where this other stuff is worth the money, so....yeah.

#337 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:59 PM

Just make a fake CL posting on the other side of town so you get a head start on yard selling lol

That screws everyone over though. My method only effects people looking for games (competition). ;)

#338 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:05 PM

I have a dirtier tactic I would like to try. Have a friend or family member run a sale the same day that there is one that advertises games. Start at the same time and make your ad more enticing, so your competition starts at your sale while you hit the good sale. :lol:

You could also have them purposely delay bringing out the games and/or say "come back later since the game person isn't here".

I would do it, but I don't want my nemesis to know where I live in case things get ugly on the road.

Haha I did this once when my neighbors and I had a block sale, but with clothes. We had a lot of clothes so we underpriced them at fill a bag for $2 which is about the cheapest you can go because we wanted to get rid of them, after checking what my neighbor was charging for clothing. My neighbor was charging $2 per item. Though with clothing its a bit harder to undercut as people have different sizes etc. They didn't even care that we were doing it as they wanted what they wanted for their stuff and they wouldn't budge.

If you had a family or trusted friend do it while you hunted games then they wouldn't actually know where you lived. But you would have to trust that your friend was doing it correctly as you wouldn't be there. I know a guy who sets up survelliance at his yard sale to prevent stealing and to watch people buy stuff, its hilarious but if you had the sale at a friend's house you could set it up if you had the equipment then you could be in the house watching the camera so you could see when the nemesis came. The nemesis wouldn't know you were there since you would be in the house watching the camera and would be unseen. It wouldn't be too difficult to set up a webcam or something simple for the day. Of course then this would waste your time as you wouldn't be able to be hunting for games yourself but it would be really funny.

I vote for delaying the nemesis by telling him the games are in the house but you haven't found all of them yet so tell them to wait while you go look for the games, go into the house for a while and see how long he will stand out there and wait

I don't actually have a nemesis that I have seen, its honestly just the fact that all the old stuff is gone by now, or its welled up in some hoarder's basement under mountains of trash, or the fact that most game buyers in my area think the walmart bargin bin is gold so all that was originally bought was shovelware games...

#339 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

He wears a disguise to look like human guys.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:29 PM

I'm totally in support of all of this. And be sure to beat the shit out of the guy to let him know who really runs your town.

#340 Daw19yoyo

Daw19yoyo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:10 PM

Then there are the people who just want to go out and buy games to play them.... Eh. Its a 50-50 thing....Maybe 30-70. Don't forget there are people just looking to get a deal on games..coughcheapassgamercough.
Your new riddle of the day...year.... Forever?:
How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could Chuck Norris?
All of it.

(lol) Its a Spaceship!

Dawness:
adjective
1. proceeding, made, or occurring without definite aim, reason, or pattern: the random selection of numbers, multiplied by ∞. :whee:

#341 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:50 AM

Gang up on him with your normal group of yard sellers consisting of: an old guy with an electric wheelchair and oxygen tank, two old lady's that can never agree on anything and only pay in nickles, and your mom. Then beat the shit out of him with a game gear or another blunt object lol.

Bring in a posse of friends in electric chairs and occupy all the space at the sale! Great for blocking your nemesis or el hoardo!

I am the girl paying in change, though I am not an old lady, as I save up change specifically for paying at yard sales, I have paid in pennies before (pre-counted though). But I take my pennies to coinstar now since you can get amazon gift cards without being charged a fee.

#342 yourlefthand

yourlefthand

Daddy Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:51 PM

Bring in a posse of friends in electric chairs and occupy all the space at the sale! Great for blocking your nemesis or el hoardo!

I am the girl paying in change, though I am not an old lady, as I save up change specifically for paying at yard sales, I have paid in pennies before (pre-counted though). But I take my pennies to coinstar now since you can get amazon gift cards without being charged a fee.

I would be seriously annoyed if I was running a yard sale and someone tried to pay me with a pile of unrolled coins.

#343 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:24 PM

It was like 25 pennies, the sale was not busy, and the person took it happily.

#344 Macheezmo

Macheezmo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:30 PM

okay, so I got a copy of ghosts and goblins for nes recently, and this is the only game I've ever gotten that I just cannot get to load. I've tried using an eraser, I've tried a qtip and alcohol, and I've tried polishing it with brasso, but to no avail. It kinda bums me out because I really wanted to play it.

#345 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:53 PM

okay, so I got a copy of ghosts and goblins for nes recently, and this is the only game I've ever gotten that I just cannot get to load. I've tried using an eraser, I've tried a qtip and alcohol, and I've tried polishing it with brasso, but to no avail. It kinda bums me out because I really wanted to play it.

it may be shorted out. It has to be completely dry before you try to use it in the console. I would use alcohol and qtips,until they come out clean.

#346 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

He wears a disguise to look like human guys.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:38 PM

It was like 25 pennies, the sale was not busy, and the person took it happily.

Hey, as long as you're willing to buy some of my crap, I'll let you pay with as many pennies as you want. I've got a coin counter.

#347 Theenternal

Theenternal

CAG got me pregnant

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:07 AM

Baby clothes make up 99% of the items at yard sales around here. In the 4+ years I've lived here, I've only found video games once.

The baby clothes/item yard sale has become one of my two dreaded yard sales to encounter, the other is black woman selling purses and dresses.
Posted Image
http://www.grapplemo...yevtakayama.gif

Removed IMG tags due to sig guideline violations.

#348 alexkidd4

alexkidd4

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:38 AM

it may be shorted out. It has to be completely dry before you try to use it in the console. I would use alcohol and qtips,until they come out clean.

I never knew that the cart had to be dried after cleaning with alcohol. Some video game store owner told me to leave them wet so it cleans the pins, smh. I feel stupid even believing the jackass.

#349 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:16 AM

Its completely ok to wrap a thin cloth around something like a credit card and use that to clean the pins of the connectors on a console, but you should let it dry for a while before you turn the console on again. Just to be safe make sure you unplug the console before you do this. I have never heard of putting a wet cart into a console to clean the pins though. Sounds like he told you this in his best interest so after you ruined your cart you would come to him for a replacement.

Its perfectly OK to use alcohol or a pencil eraser on the cart as well.

You can always see the woman with purses and dresses before hand, and we don't have too many of those here surprisingly, if you see a sale like that you can just pass it and not even stop.

#350 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:47 AM

I never knew that the cart had to be dried after cleaning with alcohol. Some video game store owner told me to leave them wet so it cleans the pins, smh. I feel stupid even believing the jackass.

Ok, let me clarify:

You want to use the highest % alcohol you can find. It will eventually evaporate, but you want to make sure it is completely dry before you try to power on your console.

You CAN use a cart to clean the console by using alcohol and inserting the cart in and out of the console, BUT It needs to be disconnected form the power AND, I would recommend hitting the power and reset buttons once each in case the console has stored a small charge before you begin the cleaning process.

I was going to write a whole "How to" type thing, but I don't have as much time as I used to.

#351 Otherguy676

Otherguy676

Grand Pawn Shop Champ!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:23 AM

I'm definitely late on followup on what I said but my point was that the dude was a jerk. I have resold, but I try to be as polite as possible. I will also put a game down that I intend to sell if another person there wants it / is eyeing it.

It is very irritating though when someone is rude or is checking ebay / scanning UPCs right there. I have seen people decline to sell them something (especially funny when the person attempts to talk someone down to nothing). I jsut see this as disrespect to the person holding the sell, the whole "I am looking this up to see if i can make money on it and then ask (or demand) a lower price to widen my profit margin" thing. I go out looking for several things and I, along with most people are pleasant when I buy something. I understand I am being invited on someone's property to buy their goods as it is easier for them to sell at home than to try to clist / flea market / thrift the items out. Its the unpleasant people and the people who sit there, grab an item, and then spend 5-10 minutes looking it up on ebay or scanning it that iterate me. Its not because I want the item (95% its something I have no interes tin) its just that I find it disrespectful to the seller. A store is one thing, but on someone's property? Just doesn't seem right to me.

Prices are usually cheap, if its not worth spending a few dollars on if your unsure you can make something on it, then just leave it instead of looking it up (or at least go to your car and look it up so your not not disrespecting the seller). Leave some fun left in yard saling.
My games list, Just hit 1000!!!
http://users.ign.com...objType=1&lid=1

My Ebay Auctions - check this out and if you buy something, let me know your a CAG and Ill throw in some free swag (like uncommon cards or various promo items I find lying around)
http://www.ebay.com/...6/m.html?_dmd=1

Trade list
http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=95517
I an have a Sega Saturn Pro Action Replay 4 in 1 for sale, PM me if interested

#352 Macheezmo

Macheezmo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:06 AM

I rarely look things up on ebay when i'm at a sale, but if I want to, I will still only do it if it's priced a little higher than I generally like to pay and if my wife is with me and she's still browsing the sale. If she finishes and I haven't finished looking it up, I usually just leave it. My service tends to be a little slow in some of the areas that I yard sale though, so I just take educated guesses most of the time.

This year I have a searchable price list on my phone so I can look things up very very quickly. I'm hoping this will help me out when I see games I'm unfamiliar with. Two more days for my season to really get started.

#353 Cmosfm

Cmosfm

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:14 AM

I'm definitely late on followup on what I said but my point was that the dude was a jerk. I have resold, but I try to be as polite as possible. I will also put a game down that I intend to sell if another person there wants it / is eyeing it.

It is very irritating though when someone is rude or is checking ebay / scanning UPCs right there. I have seen people decline to sell them something (especially funny when the person attempts to talk someone down to nothing). I jsut see this as disrespect to the person holding the sell, the whole "I am looking this up to see if i can make money on it and then ask (or demand) a lower price to widen my profit margin" thing. I go out looking for several things and I, along with most people are pleasant when I buy something. I understand I am being invited on someone's property to buy their goods as it is easier for them to sell at home than to try to clist / flea market / thrift the items out. Its the unpleasant people and the people who sit there, grab an item, and then spend 5-10 minutes looking it up on ebay or scanning it that iterate me. Its not because I want the item (95% its something I have no interes tin) its just that I find it disrespectful to the seller. A store is one thing, but on someone's property? Just doesn't seem right to me.

Prices are usually cheap, if its not worth spending a few dollars on if your unsure you can make something on it, then just leave it instead of looking it up (or at least go to your car and look it up so your not not disrespecting the seller). Leave some fun left in yard saling.

I have no problem looking shit up on people's property. Games I know like the back of my hand, so that's not a problem to me, but if I'm buying something that someone wants more than a buck or two for then I see no problem "making sure it's worth it" by checking out the going rate. Although I can usually look an item up in about 8 seconds, so it simply looks like I'm checking a text message. If a seller asks, you can always say "I'm texting my friend to see if he's interested", look it up, put your phone away, get it back out about 30 seconds later and then can "decide if he wants it or not".

But basically, if a seller wants a dollar or two, I'll risk it. That's part of the game, don't do this if you aren't willing to lose money. If a seller is asking anything comparable to a going rate online or anywhere else I feel it is COMPLETELY justified to check out what it's going for online. I'm not paying 10.00 for a calculator or 20.00 for a blender on a whim, especially if the seller says "they are worth so-and-so on ebay".

Also, a helpful hint for getting away with looking up PC game values online. Amazon will tell you what OS an older game is compatible with when you look it up. Use that as your excuse. I've only had to do this once because the seller wanted 5.00 each for disc only games, but it worked just fine.

#354 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:25 PM

I don't think this is a problem, almost everyone does it, but you will be faster without a smartphone and that could make or break your yard sailing trip in some cases. Knowledge will always trump the phone in this case, because not every item can be scanned, and the gems might be hiding amongst the stuff that cannot be scanned. Not even every item can be looked up, because with unique items there might not always be one on ebay to compare value with. Amazon doesn't have a whole lot of unique and older items for sale.

If the seller finds it disrespectful then they have every right to refuse the sale or kick the person off the property. The seller can easily arm themselves with a phone or a computer themselves to even the ball game especially since it is there house. Ironically I run into a lot of sales run by former ebay sellers that have been screwed by ebay and are no longer selling and they want to get rid of all their crap.

If the seller says its going for so and so on ebay this should be an immediate red flag that it isn't worth anything. They are trying to inflate the value of their junk so that they can lure buyers who are out for reselling items. I imagine everyone on here already knows this.

The sellers can be disrespectful too:

Don't have a loud phone conversation about how you are deliberately pricing your items higher than ebay directly in front of your buyers.... seen this many times...

The seller should also refrain from pricing games higher than the gamestop (or other used game store) sticker that is still on the game... this is just laughable... but I have seen it so many times.

And please, don't argue about price with your family using various obsenities directly in front of a buyer who is interested in purchasing your goods, this will get you absolutely nowhere!

If your items are priced too high (ie. $20 for random toys, $40 for a 13 inch CRT TV) then buyers will immediately leave your yard sale and head to the next sale, then people will buy nothing, and you get nothing. Yes the seller has every right to price items as they want to, but I see outrageous prices as a disrespect to the buyers, and a total waste of the buyer's time.

#355 Cmosfm

Cmosfm

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:07 PM

In regards to people asking ebay prices at yard sales: No one goes out early on Saturday morning to buy something as-is at the same price they can sit on their ass at home and get a guarantee with.

#356 schuerm26

schuerm26

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:16 PM

In regards to people asking ebay prices at yard sales: No one goes out early on Saturday morning to buy something as-is at the same price they can sit on their ass at home and get a guarantee with.

This goes for retail stores though also. Local video stores pricing things at ebay prices. There is a reason things are higher on ebay. Worldwide demand compared to local demand. It is shocking that most retail stores don't realize this. A sealed copy of Zelda (just an example, no clue of what it is worth) at $100 is going to sell quicker when you have the whole United States of America able to look at it. It is going to sit a LONG TIME if you have 10 people from podunk, North Dakota looking at it each day. I can't tell you how many stores I have seen go out of business following online prices, hell even Gamestop prices.

#357 Cmosfm

Cmosfm

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:40 PM

This goes for retail stores though also. Local video stores pricing things at ebay prices. There is a reason things are higher on ebay. Worldwide demand compared to local demand. It is shocking that most retail stores don't realize this. A sealed copy of Zelda (just an example, no clue of what it is worth) at $100 is going to sell quicker when you have the whole United States of America able to look at it. It is going to sit a LONG TIME if you have 10 people from podunk, North Dakota looking at it each day. I can't tell you how many stores I have seen go out of business following online prices, hell even Gamestop prices.

I deal with Pawn Shops like this. Skyrim comes in and the current going rate is 50.00, so 3 months later it sits there at 50.00. Price drops be damned.

Also, on the idea of Pawn Shops, just because some obscure BBC DVD Box Set is worth 50.00 on Amazon and eBay, that doesn't mean you're going to get 50.00 in Small Town South Carolina for it.

It amazes me how much I see this.

#358 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:24 PM

I deal with Pawn Shops like this. Skyrim comes in and the current going rate is 50.00, so 3 months later it sits there at 50.00. Price drops be damned.

Also, on the idea of Pawn Shops, just because some obscure BBC DVD Box Set is worth 50.00 on Amazon and eBay, that doesn't mean you're going to get 50.00 in Small Town South Carolina for it.

It amazes me how much I see this.

Prices here at the local fleamarket are almost always higher than on ebay, and the stuff you buy there is junk too. Most of the games sold there probably aren't worth a dollar each for the condition they are in. You can actually trade stuff in and get more money than you would if you go on ebay. 99% of gamers are not deal hunters, we are the 1%. Also the allure of "I want it now" is way too much for some people to overcome. I know a ton of people who buy games in my family who pay full price at a store when its $20 cheaper just a few clicks and a few days away because they are spoiled and they want it now, god forbid they wait a few days for their item to arrive. I know adults that are like this too...

You also have to consider that when shopping at a yard sale you almost always don't know if the item works first hand, or until you get it home, sure you can write down the address of the house you bought it at so you can get them back later, but there is a yard sale code that states when you buy something at a yard sale, you simply can't return it. This alone should demand lower prices. When you buy on ebay you are buying an item with basically a guarantee that it will be as stated or else you can file a claim and get your money back since ebay always sides with the buyer. This is not true for yard sales.

Indie game stores won't make it alone in this area, I have seen so many close up shop, there just isn't enough interest in retro games in my town, plus they charge so much for games you can get for $5 on ebay. It would actually be good if the stores here followed ebay, since that means prices would get cheaper!

I am not sure what kind of pricing or model the local stores are following, because its not ebay or amazon, its almost as if they are following some sort of delusional pricing model that they made up themselves that will ultimately lead to their demise.

#359 NSpectreGarrus

NSpectreGarrus

CAGosaurus Rex!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:45 PM

This year I have a searchable price list on my phone so I can look things up very very quickly. I'm hoping this will help me out when I see games I'm unfamiliar with. Two more days for my season to really get started.

What do you use? I looked into this last year, but the best I came up with is vgpc.com to search and get a general idea. Not the best, but better than nothing.

Posted Image

#360 Macheezmo

Macheezmo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:17 AM

What do you use? I looked into this last year, but the best I came up with is vgpc.com to search and get a general idea. Not the best, but better than nothing.

I actually wrote the app myself for wp7 because I wanted it and couldn't find anything good. I've got all of the Nintendo, Sega, Sony, and Microsoft systems in it. It lets me just tap to add or remove games from my collection so I don't buy things I already own (which has been a commen problem for me in the past). It does get the prices from vgpc though, so they aren't perfect, but a good enough ballpark figure for me. I can update an entire system's list at once or if I'm out just select a game and update that one. Also can just do a text search through the systems to look games up pretty quickly. It should come in really handy since I can look up 10 different games in the time it would normally take me just to get ebay to load, let alone actually do a search on it.