2495 replies to this topic

#421 Potatoeman

Potatoeman

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:35 PM

Nice stuff!

#422 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:42 PM

Are they any good? I figured what the hell for 5 since I only have 1 1st person controller and 2 Arcade sticks for my PS3.

The battery life is short on a single charge, the PS button needs to be 'broke in' before it'll work on the first or second press and the L2/R2 triggers have weaker springs than the Dual Shock 3's.

But those three issues aside it's a great controller, especially if you plan on playing a game where you may be button mashing a bunch.

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#423 Bing147

Bing147

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:18 PM

Overall I can't help but feel like it was a really weak outing for as many sales as I went to Saturday especially compared to how I did at one sale Friday. A good example of why I'm even more pessimistic about community sales and usually like the path less traveled when it comes to yardsaling. Talking to somebody at the flea market today I was told that they didn't go to the community sale but talked to some other people that felt like it was mostly junk which was a fair assessment IMO.[/spoiler]

I agree with you on community sales. Yes it can be great as you can hit a lot of sales fast and without a ton of driving but the vast majority of people at community sales are only doing a sale because everyone else is and they generally don't really have anything worthwhile. Most people who decide on their own to have a yard sale have enough stuff at least that they think it can be worth their day. While if its a community sale people almost feel like they have to. Not to say that you can't find things at a community sale, I got my $1 Saints Row the Third and $2 DS at one this weekend but I think the ratio of good to junk sales is a lot more weighted towards the junk sales in them.
www.vg-force.com

#424 Montymonster

Montymonster

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:50 AM

Wasn't really feeling too great, so I only went to a few sales. One had a bunch of PS2 Sport Games that I left. Mostly struck out, did manage to find this though.

Posted Image

I got it for a buck. Anyone know anything about it? Really not finding too much about it online. If it isn't worth anything I'll probably just open it myself. Haven't seen any Game of Thrones and I don't have HBO, so at least I'll be able to see one episode. :)

#425 Doomstink

Doomstink

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:34 AM

That Game of Thrones blu-ray is from Best Buy. I believe you could easily get them for $.01 after the Season 1 box set came out.

#426 Potatoeman

Potatoeman

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:19 AM

Yup, unfortunately you got hosed. They're a penny, or free with any blu-ray I think.

Fortunately it was only a dollar!

#427 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:08 AM

I agree with you on community sales. Yes it can be great as you can hit a lot of sales fast and without a ton of driving but the vast majority of people at community sales are only doing a sale because everyone else is and they generally don't really have anything worthwhile. Most people who decide on their own to have a yard sale have enough stuff at least that they think it can be worth their day. While if its a community sale people almost feel like they have to. Not to say that you can't find things at a community sale, I got my $1 Saints Row the Third and $2 DS at one this weekend but I think the ratio of good to junk sales is a lot more weighted towards the junk sales in them.

Most of the community sales here have been tapped out long ago, especially since this is likely the territory that resellers probably hit first since they can hit many sales in one shot, going off the strategy mentioned by some others in this thread on the weekend of a community sale perhaps look for single yard sales and hit those because perhaps everyone will be at the community sale and less shoppers at the regular sales. I also find that prices are much, much higher at community sales and people are less willing to budge on prices since people figure someone will come along who wants it at my price eventually and if no one wants it, it goes out next year at the same price. More people shopping equals higher prices! I have gone to community sales but the problem is houses only have so much junk and if there has been a sale year after year in the same neighborhood you won't be getting much and I notice that the amount of stuff that each house has dwindles year after year. I won't be attending any of the well known community sales in this area this year. If you can hit a "first annual" community sale or something similar you might be in business but you will have to start early.

#428 Zazoo

Zazoo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:37 AM

I helped run a couple of sales in the past month or so (Relay for Life fundraising, what-up!) and we weren't really a huge fan of early-birds. Those people who got there early would try to nickle and dime us for literally everything. We had a lot of iPod stuff (a touch, a classic, cords, and a shuffle) bundled together for $50 bucks, and we had three early-birders trying to get the bundle off of us for under $10 bucks. I know yard sales are haggling to a point, but around here early-birders are pretty bad.

I think why a lot of people put no early birds is because they dont want people knocking on their door an hr before the sale starts. I've heard this many times from sellers as well as I've had it happen to me.
Seriously dont come knocking on my door at 7am when it states my sale starts at 9am. 9am is the usual start time around here, with a few starting at 8:30. This was odd to me when I moved from the south, because your open at 6:30-7 there

#429 Zazoo

Zazoo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:46 AM

This thread needs more worshiping of my Nomad!

:bow::bow::bow::bow:

You have my love and jealous rage!! I have a Complete box and manual just calling for that nomad LOL Someday... Somday....

#430 snakemaster2389

snakemaster2389

Temporarily Banned

• Temporarily Banned Users

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:50 AM

if anyone finds some cool ps1 games lemme know! i'll buy it from u if i like :)
Twitter: @marcandretta check out my reviews @ http://bgbureau.com & www.marcandretta.tumblr.com Check Out My Youtube Channel!http://www.youtube.com/snakemaster2389 NEED A REVIEWER/WRITER? PM ME!!

Posted Image
Posted Image

#431 Montymonster

Montymonster

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:55 AM

Yup, unfortunately you got hosed. They're a penny, or free with any blu-ray I think.

Fortunately it was only a dollar!

That Game of Thrones blu-ray is from Best Buy. I believe you could easily get them for $.01 after the Season 1 box set came out.

Ah, oh well. Looks like I'll be watching it myself then, still haven't seen any Game of Thrones because I don't have HBO. :(

#432 Rexall

Rexall

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:36 PM

I skipped going to any sales on Saturday. I had to do some massive cleaning of the house. I had a couple of games and game systems just lying about and things were getting messy.

Sunday I went out to 1 that was advertising games. I got there 10 minutes early and there was another guy there, whom I recognized as a flipper. I bought stuff from him long time back. Anyways I bought a bunch of guides for about a $1 each.

The guy was selling a N64 bundle, PS2 bundle, and a NES bundle. I wanted his NES bundle, but it was a firm $50 and he wouldn't budge on the price. It was an NES with 10 games, plus all the wires.

Afterwards he brought out more games, some were overpriced like AC: R for $30. I told him I could go to BB and get it for $20 brand new. He refused to budge. He was selling a brand new Uncharted 3 for $30, but I heard the GOTY edition for Uncharted 3 is coming out soon, so I passed on this.

I ended up getting Pikmin, Mario Superstar Baseball , and Mario Kart Double Dash for $20. Not a bad day, but it was okay.

On my way home, a guy called me about some PSP's he is selling. I asked about it. It was a PSP 1000, PSP 2000, and PSP 3000. The 1000, and 2000 needed new batteries and a battery cover, the 3000 needed a new screen. Bunch of games and 2 UMD movies for $35
Posted Image

Then the guy tells me he has an NES for sale. The NES is dirty and missing the flip top cover. He says it works, but I couldn't care. I'm staring at the games. Some were in dirty condition, but I knew I could get them cleaned up.
Games were: Zelda 2, Ninja Gaiden 2, Double Dragon 3, Ghostbusters 2, Robocop, Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt, Renegade, River City Ransom, few others I can't recall. Price = $25
Posted Image
Posted Image

Speaking of which, what's the best way to clean NES games???

Edited by Rexall, 30 April 2012 - 04:36 PM.

#433 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:56 PM

I've heard Windex and Q-tips for the contacts. And always let them be completely dry after cleaning.

Braving the pillow gauntlet.

Posted Image

#434 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:03 PM

I use isopropal. They're used to clean circuit boards anyways.

#435 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:35 PM

I use alcohol (91% or 90%) or if that doesn't work I open the cart and use a pencil eraser to really get all the grime off. Though I usually just do the pencil eraser method since the grime seems to stay off for longer. But I wouldn't use the eraser on an almost clean cart, since I have run into a few of those too.

#436 Rexall

Rexall

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:46 PM

What about for the exterior of the cart? If you look at the pic I uploaded, 1943 has some gunk on it. Some of the exteriors of the other cartridges could use some cleaning too

I thought a pencil eraser generates static electricity. Wouldn't that be a no-no?

#437 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:58 PM

I use alcohol (91% or 90%)

Fun fact: 70% isopropyl is better at disinfecting than 90%. So when you buy hand sanitizer, they're not gypping you, because they're usually around 70% alcohol.

#438 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:03 PM

What about for the exterior of the cart? If you look at the pic I uploaded, 1943 has some gunk on it. Some of the exteriors of the other cartridges could use some cleaning too

I thought a pencil eraser generates static electricity. Wouldn't that be a no-no?

I usually still use isopropyl cause I'm lazy to use two things. Just be careful with labels, cause they can bleed. Not all labels will. SNES usually don't, and N64 ones usually do.

#439 NormanB258

NormanB258

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:15 PM

Nothing big, but two nice finds:

Super Mario Galaxy 2 w/ box, no manual: $7. Marked 10, offered 5, settled on 7.

Majora's Mask Perfect Guide: Free w/ purchase of $1 Yankee Candle!

#440 Rexall

Rexall

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:57 PM

Thanks for the tips everyone

#441 DCpinoy

DCpinoy

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:30 PM

Yay, I'm glad I can finally post in this thread after following it for a month or so. So here's the story, sorry if it's not that great.

Saturday morning I was on my way to my cousins house to pick him up. On his street (he lives in a court) one of his neighbors were having a yard sale. Since we had time to kill, we figured might as well check it out. So we walk over there and check everything out. While there, we have a nice little conversation with the owner about his stuff. I walk over to a basket/box that looks like it only has stuffed animals and childrens books in it. Started rummaging through and seen some DVDs. Then I see a white case and get excited, then I pulled out 4 Wii games. They were all complete and I ask the owner how much he wants for them. He said a dollar for each one, so I didn't haggle with him. So I was able to get:

All for Wii and complete except one

Mario Kart
Just Dance
Cabela's Dangerous Hunt
The Simpsons Game
Guitar Hero III (complete case, no game)

Total spent: $4.00

Pretty happy with my purchase. I turned around and traded them into Best Buy, since I no longer own a Wii.

#442 SnesGuy

SnesGuy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:45 PM

Well after several weeks of nothing i got

Donkey Kong Country 2 players guide
Mario Mania Players guide
& A Original gameboy AC Adapter

all for free (church "Rummage give-away")

Posted Image

Then I got a DOS game & an external USB floppy drive both for $0.25

Posted Image

#443 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:45 PM

I have cleaned probably hundreds of carts with it and never a problem. But I usually only bust out the eraser if alcohol doesn't make it work.

For the outside good old fashioned soap and water or a wipe down with windex will do just fine. Be careful of the back label on cartridges as if you dunk them in water they will get damaged, you have to use some care when dealing with labels. The glossy kind holds up fine to water, but the matte label kind will deteriorate quickly. I would stay away from Mr clean magic eraser as that is abrasive. But you could use that as a last resort and it won't look too bad, looks better if you do the whole cart with it so the plastic will be even.

I am getting some novus in the mail tomorrow so I will let you all know how it does for polishing scratched discs. I have seen other people use it first hand and it works perfectly so we will see how good it works for me.

#444 TiKi2

TiKi2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:13 PM

I use simple green - Non toxic smells good works good

#445 junkie88

junkie88

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:19 PM

Finally got lucky at a yard sale this weekend, the lady was selling her husbands games. They were $1 each but I only had 7 ones and she was fine with $7. They are all in excellent condition and all have the receipt from the mid to late 90's from Electronic Boutique
Posted Image

#446 TiKi2

TiKi2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:19 PM

I am getting some novus in the mail tomorrow so I will let you all know how it does for polishing scratched discs. I have seen other people use it first hand and it works perfectly so we will see how good it works for me.

Want a cheap cd resurfacer just try this one.

http://www.bhphotovi...epair_Plus.html

Edited by TiKi2, 30 April 2012 - 11:46 PM.

#447 FOnewearl

FOnewearl

Whooooooooa Bundy!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:29 PM

The battery life is short on a single charge, the PS button needs to be 'broke in' before it'll work on the first or second press and the L2/R2 triggers have weaker springs than the Dual Shock 3's.

But those three issues aside it's a great controller, especially if you plan on playing a game where you may be button mashing a bunch.

Thanks, sounds good enough for $5 for me especially considering how little current gen stuff you see at yardsales, or at least I do. 5 or so years in with the GC/PS2/Xbox was better then this from what I remember back around 2005~6.

If you can hit a "first annual" community sale or something similar you might be in business but you will have to start early.

You want to hear something sad?
Spoiler

Besides everything else mentioned, I would take a toothbrush and wet it and use that to clean out that gunk (after a once over with whatever you use to clean it) in the tough spots around the indent grip whatever you call it part of the cart.
62 Guides For Trade Brand Then Alphatized Updated 3-6-10.

http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=36537

#448 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

He wears a disguise to look like human guys.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:48 PM

No, that will definitely not create a static charge. Using a pencil eraser can be very damaging, however. The acids in them, while not particularly powerful, are still corrosive and may cause problems later on. If you are going to use an eraser for cleaning electronics, you want to use a gum eraser and always clean out any rubbings.

Fun fact: 70% isopropyl is better at disinfecting than 90%. So when you buy hand sanitizer, they're not gypping you, because they're usually around 70% alcohol.

True, but 90%+ is better for cleaning electronics because it evaporates much faster.

#449 NSpectreGarrus

NSpectreGarrus

CAGosaurus Rex!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:10 PM

@junkie88 Epic score!

I hit a few yard sales on Saturday. Got a Blue Gameboy Advance SP w/car charger and headphones. Asking $5, she took $3 (No wall charger.)

And my best find of the year so far is a complete big box copy of Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall for PC. I've never seen it before, but it has a nice holographic box, and it's in pretty good shape. Picked that up for $2. Seems pretty rare, but I'm keeping this beauty for myself.

Posted Image

#450 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:11 PM

True, but 90%+ is better for cleaning electronics because it evaporates much faster.

For actual metal (i.e. contacts), definitely. But I'd rather kill the germs on the outside of the carts with 70%. And 70% isn't exactly bad for electronics.