Official 2012 Yard Sale Thread

• Please log in to reply
2495 replies to this topic

#481 SnesGuy

SnesGuy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:19 PM

I had an interesting day. No awesome game finds, but a decent day all the same.

First I found an NES R/F Cable for 0.25
then across town I found a NES power Cable For 0.25
(great because I have like 5 deck only NES's)

THEN! I found an interesting looking "Game System" by MB called "Hero Quest"
Got it for $1. Turns out It's collectable and worth a pretty penny.
Posted Image

Next I found a Copy of RISK that uses actual
army characters versus the gay arrow markers. ($1.00)

Then at an unlikely yard sale I found some interesting books
(the book of Thoth by Aleister Crowley for example)

the pic is a small sample. ($0.50 ea)
Posted Image

Edit - also, got 2 copies of the Stargate movie at the same place as the books
(one sealed VHS and a extended cut DVD) $1.00 for both

#482 xdl

xdl

Fast and Bulbous!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:21 PM

Did my second run of the year and hit about 20-30 garage sales. I don't have the energy to photograph it, because honestly there's too much. Here's a rough run down:

2 Xbox Consoles - only one set of cables though
1 PS2 fat
2 GB
3 GBC
1 GBA old model
35ish PS2 games
12ish PS1 games - 2 complete Spyro games
30ish GB/GBC/GBA games - couple Pokemon games, few random valuables
tons and tons of the gameboy clam shell game cases
Metroid Prime 2
tons of controllers (like 4 per system even though the PS2 has two slots?)

I left behind quite a bit also because things were marked so absurdly I couldn't even lowball it and still be satisfied with the price. Did pretty well though - selling off the extra systems and doubles of games should easily net me more than my spending cost of $90 for all of that. Absolutely shocked at the value of old gameboy stuff. Thought it was worthless.

Edit: 3 GBC systems, not 2

#483 Bing147

Bing147

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:33 PM

Its in fantastic shape, still has slip on it to send away fo a free mario all stars even. But no inserts or styrofoam.
www.vg-force.com

#484 Wontwin

Wontwin

CAG ALL DAY

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:01 PM

Picked up;

PS2 Slim with cables and controller
Tony Hawk Pro skater 4
Tony Hawk underground 2
GTA: SA
Ace Combat 5
Need for Speed Underground
WWE Smackdown here comes the pain
Unreal Tournment
Metal Gear solid 2
NHL 2004

all for $10.00

#485 robwhois

robwhois

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:19 PM

I had an interesting day. No awesome game finds, but a decent day all the same.

First I found an NES R/F Cable for 0.25
then across town I found a NES power Cable For 0.25
(great because I have like 5 deck only NES's)

THEN! I found an interesting looking "Game System" by MB called "Hero Quest"
Got it for $1. Turns out It's collectable and worth a pretty penny.
Posted Image

Next I found a Copy of RISK that uses actual
army characters versus the gay arrow markers. ($1.00)

Then at an unlikely yard sale I found some interesting books
(the book of Thoth by Aleister Crowley for example)

the pic is a small sample. ($0.50 ea)
Posted Image

Edit - also, got 2 copies of the Stargate movie at the same place as the books
(one sealed VHS and a extended cut DVD) $1.00 for both

Man I remember having a great time with a couple of friends playing Hero Quest. Wish I took it with me when i moved when i was a kid. Heard they are worth a nice amount nowadays, nice pickup

#486 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:11 AM

I went to 3 bag sales (fill a bag for $2) and I got a load of stuff, barely any gaming stuff, but I am getting good at looking at big piles of junk and then picking out the resellable items. I am sure I miss a lot because I can only fit so much into a bag but I try..

My best item was a Droid Razr vehicle mounting kit, which sells for like $40 online...

#487 commandercody83

commandercody83

SAMURAI!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:43 AM

First real yard sale outing for me this morning netted me zero gaming stuff, but plenty of goodies:

Dachsund rug $3
Art of Racing in the Rain book $0.50
8x10 frames (black, qtyx4) $2
2 Jimmy Buffett CDs and a book $5

Find of the Day:
75 vinyl albums (keeping 60+) marked $1 each..... paid $10 total

Squandered Flip of the Day:
First 6 seasons of Sex & the City $10 total. Probably could have doubled my money at Hastings (they had theirs marked $17 each).

#488 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:37 AM

The sales in my area (small town) are ruined by two families who go to all the yard sales every week and buy everything up only to put it in their own yards, which are set up 7 days a week. Then of course it's eBay pricing. What gets me the most is the one family buys furniture and lets it sit in the yard all night covered by a tarp. The yard is maybe 40 feet from a corn field, I can only imagine how many field mice live in those couches. Fucking idiots.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#489 TheHeef

TheHeef

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:57 AM

So I haven't posted finds on here in a few months, largely because (a) my computer died a horrible death, and (b) I haven't found a fucking thing at yard sales this year.

Today was just too strange not to post.

First two sales I hit were run by absolute morons. First one had a fat PS2 with one controller...and was asking $50. The next one advertised a Nintendo 64 on Craiglist. I get there a few minutes early only to find a $250 price tag on a 64 with a stack of games. I can't make this crap up. Judging by the fact that this d-bag had a house three times the size of mine, it didn't surprise me that her prices were outrageous.

Next one was fun. I pull up, get out of my car and the guy says "Hey, you're my first customer! Anything for you, a quarter apiece!" Uhm...ok.
Spoiler

The Xbox is modded...if anyone has experience with Xenium...I can't tell if it's broken or if I'm missing something. The Mac tower didn't come with any cords, so I can't tell if it works or not...next stop, thrift store!

Randoms...
Spoiler

Spoiler

.hack//INFECTION - $1
Game Boy Color - $10 (guy threw in a Gamecube controller, which I needed)
Castlevania Adventure - $0.50

Found some other goodies at a Goodwill...but this isn't the right thread.
Flammable! Or, inflammable. Forget which. Doesn't matter!

#490 yoyo1316

yoyo1316

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:56 AM

Picked up the following
Slim ps2 system only - $5
Ps1 all cables and 2 controllers (just wanted the accessories) - $5
Original gameboy - $1
Olympus DS-40 voice recorder (complete) - $10
Samsung 19 inch HDTV LCD WORKS - $10

#491 SlammedNiss

SlammedNiss

Mine hits the ground!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:52 AM

The Xbox is modded...if anyone has experience with Xenium...I can't tell if it's broken or if I'm missing something.

Whats it doing or not doing? I have mine modded with a Xenium Ice chip.

#492 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:23 PM

Went to one on the odd part of town, guy had boxes of comic books, a NES, and a Sega Genesis Launch/Sega CD. He wanted higher than $50 a box, and at least $20 a system, and wouldn't budge. One of the games was Mike Tyson's Punch-Out. So I left.

At another one, for $5 I got:
Batman: Long Halloween
Daredevil- issue 26-31 tpb
Essential X-Men 6 (Disappointed that good deal of the material was also in X-Factor 1).

Braving the pillow gauntlet.

Posted Image

#493 TheHeef

TheHeef

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:26 PM

Whats it doing or not doing? I have mine modded with a Xenium Ice chip.

I'll take another look and PM you with some details.
Flammable! Or, inflammable. Forget which. Doesn't matter!

#494 Montymonster

Montymonster

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:55 PM

Rained this weekend, so not too many sales going on. I picked up a cool looking Polaroid camera for 3 bucks (it still works!) and not much else.

#495 xdl

xdl

Fast and Bulbous!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:56 PM

Out of the 9 systems I got yesterday, 3 ended up not working. One of the sellers lied to my face in this instance about an original xbox, which I'm not thrilled about.

#496 pyoobez

pyoobez

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:11 PM

Out of the 9 systems I got yesterday, 3 ended up not working. One of the sellers lied to my face in this instance about an original xbox, which I'm not thrilled about.

Yeah, if I don't see them powered on, I assume nothing works for the premise of paying something I'd feel is fair if it doesn't. I think only one console I got didn't... a spare SNES my dad took (which was in a box with a 64 and a Genesis for $10. The N64 giant power piece fixed my old system which made me happy enough with the price. XBoxes and 360s I'll pay $10-$20 for though, just for parts.

But yeah, lying about it working is a bit weak.

Oh, and hit one yard sale yesterday. No games and nothing but overpriced old stuff (i.e. an 80's 19" RCA TV for either $30 or $35.) There was a nice looking two-tier shelf with coat/hat pegs but it was like $25, so I passed at that price as I have an almost identical one I got for $2.
Posted Image

#497 tooshorty6432168

tooshorty6432168

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:34 PM

I went to a few yard sales for the first time this year and got some decent stuff.

Posted Image

I found the wireless card for 25 cents, the phone for 50 cents, and the N64 game for $2. I'm not really at all interested in that particular N64 game, but I found it odd that it was the only game on the table. I asked the owners if they had any more, of which he said he has a big box of them somewhere in his garage, and will get to it eventually. He took my number and said he'd give me a call when he find them, so I'm really, really hoping he comes through.

Posted Image

The PS1 was $5, and I almost passed on it until I noticed that a/v cables coming out the back. I read some time ago that apparently the first run of the PS1s have amazing sound quality for CD playback, so I figured what the heck.

The gun was only 25 cents, and it happens to be my first piece of Sega Master System paraphernalia some how.

Posted Image

All for $1 a piece, figured I couldn't go wrong. I actually need a few of them to beef up my PS2 collection, but I'll be trading away the GHs and Dead Space(top right). If only it was Battlefront II on the Xbox :(

#498 schultzed

schultzed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:44 PM

If only it was Battlefront II on the Xbox :(

I just sold a BFII Xbox for $40. I was in Goodwill and was done shopping. I had paid and on my way out I see this toddler on the floor by the media and he's holding BFII and KOTOR . . . I'm like WTF! . . . how did I miss those?

So I walked my stuff to the car and went back in hoping . . . "he was just holding them and his mom would tell him to put them back." Sure enough, 2 minutes later the games are sitting on the shelf. I had to check out a second time but went home happier.

#499 Zazoo

Zazoo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:46 PM

Oh man, I would gladly trade all of my X-Men figures for that Ray Fillet!

I'm a bit curious about books...I know a couple of guys in this thread buy and sell them. What kinds do you look out for? Specific titles, publication dates, or editions? I imagine certain art, science, and technology books (even old ones) are bound to be worth something, but I almost never find anything worthwhile. And where do you sell them? Amazon, eBay, trade-in site, somewhere else? I would to do something with some of the books I acquire, aside from simply donating them. Heck, I would even be happy with a book store that would take them for store credit, but I don't know if any places like that exist around here. Right now, the best thing I've got going for me is PaperBackSwap.

It was a nice surprise to find Ray Fillet among all the xmen, didnt notice him until I got home and was taking pictures.

I sell on ebay, mainly I sell childrens books and workbooks. Though I also pick up manga, scifi/fantasy & mystery books. You can do really well selling nonfiction as well but its a genre i don't know very well and in my area there are tons of resellers that look for nonfiction. I'd much rather be on the look out for things that aren't on the normal book sellers radar. It also helps that most of what I sell shows up on scanners as not being worth sold. I've noticed a huge influx of scan bots ( people who just scan everything and usually work for a 3rd party and buy what the scanner tells them to buy) I don't really mind them though, they usually aren't knowledgeable about what sells and are sloooow. :roll: So by the time they have scanned 5 books, i have 20+ in my bag to buy

I may start selling on Amazon again now that we have moved and I have a lot more room for my inventory. For now I'm happy with ebay. I also have 2 local bookstores that I sell to.

I'm very lucky to have 2 great used book stores that pay well, I know that's not always the case with every city. You might try Powell's they will buy books from you and pay for shipping. They have an online price checker, though they are super picky about condition.

Nice find on the figures.

Thanks! I didn't get to this sale until late in the day so I can only imagine what they had at the beginning of the day

Thanks for making me feel better. I am mainly disappointed because she never called or sent the email about games. The Ps2 lot I was a minute late, the DS lot was long gone before I got there (BTW I got there at 9:05. The sale started at 9 AM). I came home empty handed today (for everything), but I only used a half gallon of gas and and couple hours of time hitting the main areas.

I have about 4 days of posts to read in the thread, but I can see some people had some big finds!

It is such a bummer when people don't call you back, I've stopped counting on it. Sarah is right it was probably a bunch of junk PS2 games anyhow. I can't even begin to count how many large bundles i have found at sales with just crap games.

Your day will come again, though it is frustrating when you spend all day and find nothing. That's why i started looking for other things that way I'm not so disappointed if i don't' find much in the way of games.
If i do see an ad that looks really promising i try and get there 15 min early and regardless of what happens with that sale, I try not to be in a big hurry for the rest of the day. I have found just as many awesome finds at 1pm as i have at 8am.

#500 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:23 AM

Well today I got an old PC game called Shivers 2 for 50 cents, it is in the big box in mint condition with manual and complete with tons of hand written cheats. Its always fun to see stuff like this, this person must have put a lot of work into beating this game.

I am really laid back about yard sales, and like you I have found most of my good stuff late in the day. I wouldn't expect a yard sale to call me back about games, and if I asked something like that I assume they would call me back or email me with a price that is 50% more than their original asking price. As soon as you seem interested in something around here prices seem to go up 50%. Therefore I avoid doing this.

What's amusing to me is the fact that there are houses here that are set up every week, and they pay to put an ad in the paper. An ad here is like $35 a weekend, which is A LOT. I know these houses so I know they put out the same junk week after week, and they probably don't have $35 of stuff on their lawn to even cover the price of the ad, even if they sold everything, which we know won't happen. Wouldn't it just be smarter to haul the junk off to the salvation army or even just throw it out instead of wasting $35 and your weekend every single week to have a sale? You would think that people would realize its not going to sell and just junk the stuff. Not to mention the space the stuff takes up in your garage... People are just weird...

Now I can see sitting out with your stuff if you don't have an ad in the paper, in that case it is totally up to you what you do with your time, but I can't see paying $35 to sit outside every weekend and sell junk that won't sell.

I have never seen anyone scanning books around here, I don't think anyone around here even knows special book scanners exist. I see a lot of people with smartphones in hand while yard sale shopping but I have no evidence that they are actually using them to look up prices on the fly, though I am sure they are doing that in some cases. That is actually quite difficult to do on the fly, unless you are the guy in this thread who has written an app that lets him look up something in 8 seconds. But as we all know everyone walks around with a smartphone in their hand 100% of the time so its not unusual to see that.

IMO if you find a large bundle with crap games you are better off going for the cheaper "system only" bundle then getting the games you want through other means. You are better off paying $10 for a system only than paying $35 for a system and games that you aren't going to play and games that have no value on the resell market. Unless of course you are paying the same price for a large bundle as you are for a system only.

#501 TheHelix

TheHelix

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:28 AM

I saw a dude scanning books for five minutes the other day at a rummage sale. Good luck to him I guess.

#502 TiKi2

TiKi2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:19 AM

I saw a dude scanning books for five minutes the other day at a rummage sale. Good luck to him I guess.

I've been yard saleing for a few yrs and can tell you that those people come and go. Dude I use to see all the time haven't seen since mid last year.

#503 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:19 PM

These people probably come and go because they either move on to other area's or they realize that they can't be profitable alone on scanning books, not to mention the stigma that comes with using a scanner and that some places prohibit scanners. From what I understand these people use a special handheld scanner, these things have to cost money and in order to justify the purchase you would have to make the money back and then some over the price of what you paid for the scanner. My library used to have massive book sales but coincidentally I haven't seen them have a book sale in the last 3 years, not saying this is due to scanners but I can't imagine they would want to be taken by someone with a scanner.

#504 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

He wears a disguise to look like human guys.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:13 PM

I sell on ebay, mainly I sell childrens books and workbooks. Though I also pick up manga, scifi/fantasy & mystery books. You can do really well selling nonfiction as well but its a genre i don't know very well and in my area there are tons of resellers that look for nonfiction. I'd much rather be on the look out for things that aren't on the normal book sellers radar. It also helps that most of what I sell shows up on scanners as not being worth sold. I've noticed a huge influx of scan bots ( people who just scan everything and usually work for a 3rd party and buy what the scanner tells them to buy) I don't really mind them though, they usually aren't knowledgeable about what sells and are sloooow. :roll: So by the time they have scanned 5 books, i have 20+ in my bag to buy

Thanks for the input. I guess I'll just have to keep at it and hope that I eventually luck out. One of my hurdles is that I feel like a lot of things are worthless simply because I think they should be and they end up being worth a lot of money. I mean, I see a lot of people post the most hideous shoes in the world in the pick-up thread and I'll "I wonder how much they got paid to haul those abominations away", only to find out the damn things are worth over $100. But of course, if I go out and buy an ugly pair of shoes, I just know I'll get home and find out that I got gypped. And I simply don't have the room in my house (or money in my wallet) to make gambles like that. At least books are recyclable, though. Heh.

Well today I got an old PC game called Shivers 2 for 50 cents, it is in the big box in mint condition with manual and complete with tons of hand written cheats. Its always fun to see stuff like this, this person must have put a lot of work into beating this game.

Nice! That is one of my favorite games of all time! I know it hasn't aged particularly well, but the first time I played it was an amazing experience and it had a huge impact on me, so I still hold it in very high regard. A lot of those hints/cheats aren't going to be useful because some of the puzzles are random, but it can still be cool to see someone's notes. I think I probably filled every inch of the Notes section in my manual. That game was super deep for a little kid. Ha ha. It was also the first game I ever played online and I still sing some of the songs now and then. If only the monetary value was anywhere near the sentimental value...

#505 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:44 PM

Thanks for the input. I guess I'll just have to keep at it and hope that I eventually luck out. One of my hurdles is that I feel like a lot of things are worthless simply because I think they should be and they end up being worth a lot of money. I mean, I see a lot of people post the most hideous shoes in the world in the pick-up thread and I'll "I wonder how much they got paid to haul those abominations away", only to find out the damn things are worth over $100. But of course, if I go out and buy an ugly pair of shoes, I just know I'll get home and find out that I got gypped. And I simply don't have the room in my house (or money in my wallet) to make gambles like that. At least books are recyclable, though. Heh.

Nice! That is one of my favorite games of all time! I know it hasn't aged particularly well, but the first time I played it was an amazing experience and it had a huge impact on me, so I still hold it in very high regard. A lot of those hints/cheats aren't going to be useful because some of the puzzles are random, but it can still be cool to see someone's notes. I think I probably filled every inch of the Notes section in my manual. That game was super deep for a little kid. Ha ha. It was also the first game I ever played online and I still sing some of the songs now and then. If only the monetary value was anywhere near the sentimental value...

I will probably end up sending the game to my friend as I send him old PC stuff every Christmas and I only have access to Windows 7 PC's which likely would not run this game. Unfortunately I really don't have the space nor the wall outlets to collect old computers though I would love to. He will definitely find all the hand written cheats amusing.

#506 schultzed

schultzed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:33 AM

they realize that they can't be profitable alone on scanning books

There is no money to be made this way . . . people shouldn't bother even trying . . . especially in my town.

not saying this is due to scanners but I can't imagine they would want to be taken by someone with a scanner.

How are they taken? People with scanners buy books and the organization makes money.

#507 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

He wears a disguise to look like human guys.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:44 AM

I will probably end up sending the game to my friend as I send him old PC stuff every Christmas and I only have access to Windows 7 PC's which likely would not run this game. Unfortunately I really don't have the space nor the wall outlets to collect old computers though I would love to. He will definitely find all the hand written cheats amusing.

There's no need for an old computer for most games. Most of them have some sort of workaround that will work for them. For Shivers II, this is the simplest one:
http://www.squirtthe...rs_2/index.html

You know...just in case you want to check it out for yourself before giving it away.

#508 schultzed

schultzed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:52 AM

I came home empty handed today (for everything), but I only used a half gallon of gas and and couple hours of time hitting the main areas.

I feel your pain Slow. It's been slow around here. Hasn't helped that it has been rainy most weekends.

I probably hit about 40 sales this weekend and picked up lots of books but very little gaming finds.

I will post some pics (in hopes of finding more this weekend).

This was 2 weeks ago:

Posted Image

Not the awesome bundle I hope for but still well worth the $10 I paid.

Again last week:

Posted Image

$2 for all

This was Friday . . . the only VG pickup worth mentioning, all complete with nice discs (Ratchet is sealed):

Posted Image

They were asking $8 each but I got the group for $25. Weakest link is the Wii Ski but I got it for my daughter.

This badboy was from a thrift (paid .20 last year) but since you guys are talking about classic titles.

Posted Image

I dropped this on ebay for some serious cash . . . probably should've held it until Wasteland II comes out . . . oh well.

#509 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:07 AM

^^^Hopefully you didn't buy that D&D game because of me! I bought it because it was sealed. :)

#510 Doomstink

Doomstink

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:14 AM

I actually managed to find a C64 copy of Wasteland last year for $3. I sold it a few weeks later - really regret it as the value tripled after the Wasteland 2 kickstarter hit.