Official 2012 Yard Sale Thread

• Please log in to reply
2495 replies to this topic

#61 Sinnbox

Sinnbox

Garage-sale/Thrift KING!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:36 AM

Youngens usually arent bad, around here there are soccer moms that think all old games are worth alot and they keep buying them up.

#62 TiKi2

TiKi2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:45 AM

Youngens usually arent bad, around here there are soccer moms that think all old games are worth alot and they keep buying them up.

Soccer Moms hah.......try competing with Haitians

#63 DeadStranger

DeadStranger

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:48 PM

The hex should still be a first print. vol # has more to do with the series. Ghost Rider should read number 1 vol 2 since it is the second series under the title "Ghost Rider" I believe that one would say "2nd printing" at the end of that paragraph if it were a second print. (I don't have a second print, so I can not check).

A few months later marvel started changing the color of the cover for other issues like 5 and 15 to denote second printings.

Hey, man, thanks for all the info.

Haven't found anything the last 2 weeks except $5 ps2 games...

#64 FOnewearl

FOnewearl

Whooooooooa Bundy!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:02 PM

Without getting too deep into the details, I've noticed somebody in my area who seems to buy up lots of games at yardsales then will sell them in bulk on eBay if they are worth little to nothing, for example they will be selling tons of GB/GBA games even more then 100 I've seen before in one auction on eBay as if they buy every GB game they see at yardsales or every PS2 game etc as in they buy them up all yardsale season long just to sell together as lots per a system.

Why do I think yardsales are a big source of where they are getting this stuff? I've seen them selling games I've seen at yardsales and passed on be it no interest, too expensive etc. Some of the overpriced games I went into detail about in my spoiler tagged non finds BS I saw them selling on eBay, most notably this past September the house I got a Genesis 2 with games, Nomad & Justifier (DS & PSP games) and the house I got a boxed NES, games & SMB3 NP guide (Game Boy games).
62 Guides For Trade Brand Then Alphatized Updated 3-6-10.

http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=36537

#65 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

He wears a disguise to look like human guys.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:56 AM

How do you know it's the same person? Just based on what games are being sold together?

#66 Sinnbox

Sinnbox

Garage-sale/Thrift KING!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:00 AM

I wonder if someone bought them all to resell then noticed that they weren't worth it so they just threw them on.

or... There are re-seller tricks he could have used... he may have gotten them at much lower prices than you did, and the ones you see are just him selling off his commons at the end of the year.

#67 FOnewearl

FOnewearl

Whooooooooa Bundy!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:52 PM

How do you know it's the same person? Just based on what games are being sold together?

Same username. They had 2 copies of Chase HQ for the Game Boy for sale just like I saw at the yardsale & all of the worthwhile DS games I remember from the other sale were included in a lot in another auction. It was enough to convince me that it wasn't just a coincidence that the same user on eBay was selling stuff I saw at different yardsales.

I wonder if someone bought them all to resell then noticed that they weren't worth it so they just threw them on.

I think they just buy everything planning to do this to get rid of everything with the exception being if they get something like Earthbound then they would probably split it out to sell by itself. I've seen them selling older systems before like an SNES with games and they don't part out stuff like Super Mario All-Stars that still sells in the teens by itself so I'm guessing something at least in the 20s shipped they may list by itself but then again I've noticed they like to group up stuff, a lot of N64 controllers, multiple GBA systems in one lot etc.

or... There are re-seller tricks he could have used... he may have gotten them at much lower prices than you did, and the ones you see are just him selling off his commons at the end of the year.

I'm guessing from what I've seen over the years from them that they are or have a collector in the family or at least used to be a collector. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall to over hear what they did actually pay, the DS & PSP games was one of those situations where I didn't even bother making an offer with the prices being rather high and different for each game (I didn't need any of the worthwhile games for myself either), and the Game Boy games......the lady was one of the hardest sellers to deal with that I've ran into.

I could see this lady changing her tone and letting the stuff go for about half of what she was asking late in the last day if it wasn't selling and like I said I didn't test the guy with the DS & PSP games so as easy as he took $10 for the Genesis stuff I ended up getting perhaps he didn't put up a fight about an offer about half of his asking price for the DS & PSP games.
62 Guides For Trade Brand Then Alphatized Updated 3-6-10.

http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=36537

#68 czissis

czissis

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:48 PM

Stopped by the first yard sale I've gone to in a very long time.

$15 for everything. The black case is MGS3. The games aren't anything special. PS2 works perfectly.
Posted Image

#69 TheBigAndy

TheBigAndy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:17 PM

Stopped by the first yard sale I've gone to in a very long time.

$15 for everything. The black case is MGS3. The games aren't anything special. PS2 works perfectly.
Posted Image

Still a great pick up just on that SNES controller and PS2.

#70 Theenternal

Theenternal

CAG got me pregnant

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:09 PM

Was stuck at work this weekend, but next I going hunting.

However I will share one of my earlier yard sale stories. This happened around 2002. A friend and I just happened across a yard sale. I was looking over this Record Player Cabinet, I thought it would be to put multiple systems in. I then saw a decent lot of Nes games, a system, and for some reason like 8 controller. I had a game or something in my hand and I go by the record player and ask how much. The girl goes 50 cents, I thought she was talking about what I had in my hand. I go no, how much for all this, and she goes 50 cents for all of it. I miss these days :P
Posted Image
http://www.grapplemo...yevtakayama.gif

Removed IMG tags due to sig guideline violations.

#71 Indigo_Streetlight

Indigo_Streetlight

East Coast Scum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:09 PM

Was stuck at work this weekend, but next I going hunting.

However I will share one of my earlier yard sale stories. This happened around 2002. A friend and I just happened across a yard sale. I was looking over this Record Player Cabinet, I thought it would be to put multiple systems in. I then saw a decent lot of Nes games, a system, and for some reason like 8 controller. I had a game or something in my hand and I go by the record player and ask how much. The girl goes 50 cents, I thought she was talking about what I had in my hand. I go no, how much for all this, and she goes 50 cents for all of it. I miss these days :P

There's still people like that; I like checking some yard sales up until noon for the occasional "This is about to go to Goodwill" interception. 8-)

I got myself a nice little media cabinet (about 27 x 14 in) that way; brand new, still packed in this cardboard slab of a box. At the price of "Free" it couldn't be beat. Now it's holding DVDs and video games.
The Asylum leads the eyes of those pursued by gaming madness...

#72 TiKi2

TiKi2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:35 AM

?

Edited by TiKi2, 09 February 2012 - 12:00 AM.

#73 TiKi2

TiKi2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:46 AM

?

Edited by TiKi2, 08 February 2012 - 11:59 PM.

#74 dragoon99

dragoon99

Objection!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:54 AM

Wow congrats on that Dreamcast score... $60 hot damn!

#75 ChuckT

ChuckT

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:21 PM

First time poster, long time reader. Don't always get the super amazing deals that other seem to score on here, but I occasionally find some gems.

This weekend's score was a Coleco Gemini system with 30 games, instructions, and Atari storage units for $15 dollars. I am in the process of flipping the system and doubles, which leaves me with 15 games I didn't have, plus the instructions and storage units.

Will post pics as soon as I figure out how to do so.

#76 SlammedNiss

SlammedNiss

Mine hits the ground!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:16 AM

Most random score ever.

Got this stuff from my wife's parents. Everything was filthy just like the N64 rumble pack, and needed a good cleaning. Many of the games have rental stickers and/or writing with magic marker. The cd/dvd games are going to get a good bath to clean them up, and I plan on investing in a gamebit driver set to open up the cartridges and the N64 itself. The N64 is missing both power and a/v cables.

Here is everything I got in the crate.

Hardware:
Spoiler

Games:
Spoiler

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

So, nothing super exciting, but I didn't have to pay for any of it, so no complaints. I am going to call and see if maybe she knows where the hookups are for the N64.

#77 yourlefthand

yourlefthand

Daddy Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:21 AM

Most random score ever.

So, nothing super exciting, but I didn't have to pay for any of it, so no complaints. I am going to call and see if maybe she knows where the hookups are for the N64.

Maybe it's just me, but calling your mother-in-law to ask for a hookup seems like it might be a little past the line. I mean, you already scored with her once...

But seriously, nice score. ;)

#78 Allwhowander

Allwhowander

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:45 AM

Need some advice on this one...

There was an ad on craigslist this week advertising a huge video game sale. I showed up as they were just opening up and the guy was pulling boxes upon boxes of games/controllers/accessories out of his shed. I thought I was in for a great morning. However, the only other guy there was buying whole boxes of games at a time without even looking at what he was getting.

So, as the seller brought out new boxes, I would glance through them and try to grab anything worth buying. Since I was moving quickly to stay ahead of the other guy, I wasn't looking too closely at what I was getting. I was able to grab a few games for myself and thought I had a huge score on my hands when I found about 10 boxed GBA pokemon games.

Unfortunately, when I got home, I quickly realized that none of these are official pokemon releases, but are all various bootleg versions. Click the spoiler for a picture.

Spoiler

Not being a huge pokemon fan, I didn't immediately recognize them for what they were. The boxes looked official enough on a quick inspection and I'm not familiar enough with the series to know all the games. My plan was to flip these games in order to recoup my money on the other games I bought and plan to keep.

So here's my question: First, Is it legal to sell these on ebay? I would never try to pass them off as legitimate games and would be very, very clear that they are not official pokemon games. But, even saying that, does eBay allow bootleg stuff to be sold like that?

Second, assuming I could legally sell them, is there a market for them? I'm thinking along the lines of a novelty for collectors and pokemon fans. For bootlegs, they seem really well done. The box art it pretty high quality with official Nintendo seals and ESRB ratings. The cartridges have all the markings a real game would. They wouldn't pass a really thorough inspection (especially the instruction manuals, but they would look pretty nice on a shelf.

Thoughts?

#79 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:43 AM

LOL BlueSea Edition! XD

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#80 R3DH3R0

R3DH3R0

10 Years and Counting

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:50 AM

Need some advice on this one...

There was an ad on craigslist this week advertising a huge video game sale. I showed up as they were just opening up and the guy was pulling boxes upon boxes of games/controllers/accessories out of his shed. I thought I was in for a great morning. However, the only other guy there was buying whole boxes of games at a time without even looking at what he was getting.

So, as the seller brought out new boxes, I would glance through them and try to grab anything worth buying. Since I was moving quickly to stay ahead of the other guy, I wasn't looking too closely at what I was getting. I was able to grab a few games for myself and thought I had a huge score on my hands when I found about 10 boxed GBA pokemon games.

Unfortunately, when I got home, I quickly realized that none of these are official pokemon releases, but are all various bootleg versions. Click the spoiler for a picture.

Spoiler

Not being a huge pokemon fan, I didn't immediately recognize them for what they were. The boxes looked official enough on a quick inspection and I'm not familiar enough with the series to know all the games. My plan was to flip these games in order to recoup my money on the other games I bought and plan to keep.

So here's my question: First, Is it legal to sell these on ebay? I would never try to pass them off as legitimate games and would be very, very clear that they are not official pokemon games. But, even saying that, does eBay allow bootleg stuff to be sold like that?

Second, assuming I could legally sell them, is there a market for them? I'm thinking along the lines of a novelty for collectors and pokemon fans. For bootlegs, they seem really well done. The box art it pretty high quality with official Nintendo seals and ESRB ratings. The cartridges have all the markings a real game would. They wouldn't pass a really thorough inspection (especially the instruction manuals, but they would look pretty nice on a shelf.

Thoughts?

I've sold a replica nba jersey on eBay, listed it as not official. I wasn't supposed to, but I bought it from someone who said it was legit. Bootlegs/replicas are sold all the time on eBay: especially nes/snes games that never came out like star fox 2 and earthbound zero. But can you sell them on eBay? No, you are not supposed to. I'm not telling you whether or not to do that, but they could suspend your account. I don't even think you can sell them here on CAG.

Honestly, I would try to get your money back from the seller. Or maybe there's someone who likes to collect bootlegs, who knows, people collect/buy everything.

#81 AFRO insomniac

AFRO insomniac

Pikmin 3 - Challenge Mode is DOPE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:30 AM

Hmm... I wonder what Ruby version 2 looks like.

Playing

Spoiler
2014 2013

#82 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:00 PM

They wouldn't pass a really thorough inspection (especially the instruction manuals, but they would look pretty nice on a shelf.

They wouldn't even pass a quick glance for any fan. Heh. They're still cool in a way, though. And no, they're not allowed on eBay (not sure about CAG). Personally, I think bootlegs are neat to have as long as they are well-made and are obvious fakes. I still wouldn't pay much for them, though, and I'm sure most folks would feel the same way. Out of curiosity, what were you hoping to get for them?

#83 Allwhowander

Allwhowander

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:04 AM

I paid $4 each for them. I'm not looking to make any profit, so I'd sell them for that plus shipping.

#84 ChuckT

ChuckT

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:28 AM

FInally got around to posting my Gemini/Atari photos. Here they are.
http://flic.kr/p/bzh3wi
These are just the doubles. Nothing to write home about.
http://flic.kr/p/bzh3uK
This is the Gemini. I cleaned it up inside and out, and it's now in the home of a fellow collector, along with the games above.
http://flic.kr/p/bmnofY
These are the cases and games I kept. Note the manuals - every game came with one.

All in all, a decent find. Nothing crazy to brag about, but I successfully flipped everything I already owned/didn't want in less than a week. Thumbs up.

Still haven't figured out how to embed photos in a post - any tips?

#85 RabbitSuit

RabbitSuit

CAG Newbie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:11 AM

Honestly, those are pretty damn awesome looking in my opinion. Do they actually play and save well without freezing? I used to have an old Pokemon Black for the GBA. It had altered pokemon movesets, areas and trainers. Sadly after about 30 hours it crashed on me was an interesting experience though.

Have you tested those games out? If they don't have any major issues, I'd be interested in picking them up. Googling those specific ones don't led me to a hands down fatal error on'em.

Edit -- Okay, apparently BlueSea is the lowest of the low. Darn shame too :| I was interested in that one the most.
Edit -- Welp, I don't know about that crystal edition. But those other three don't sound fun.

Edited by RabbitSuit, 29 February 2012 - 05:22 AM.

Yes! I am in a signature! :applause:

#86 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:11 PM

I paid $4 each for them. I'm not looking to make any profit, so I'd sell them for that plus shipping.

As much as I'd like to have them and also help you out, I'll have to pass. That would be about $20-$25 for fake games that I never actually plan on playing. Heh. Hopefully RabbitSuit or someone else will want to take them off your hands.

#87 Allwhowander

Allwhowander

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:32 AM

If anyone is interested, send me a PM. I'd even go as low as $2 each plus shipping. I've got several of each game.

#88 AugustAPC

AugustAPC

Not For Sale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:11 PM

Did pretty well today:

Gamecube Bundle - $20
- Purple Gamecube System Complete with Hook-ups
- 1 Official Purple Controller
- 1 Wireless Wavebird Controller with Receiver
- 1 Madcatz Wired Controller
- Official Carrying Case (Holds system games and cords)
- Mario Party 5 (Complete)
- Mario Kart: Double Dash (Complete)
- Super Smash Bros. Melee (Complete)
- 007: Nightfire (Complete)
- Spyro: Enter The Dragonfly (Disc Only)
- Sonic Adventure: DX (Disc Only)
- Super Monkey Ball (Disc Only)
- Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition (Disc Only) (Wish this was complete but still awesome)

Wii: SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 1 (Sealed) - $1

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (Complete) - $2

Kirby Air Ride (Missing Manual) - $2

I'll put up pics later.

#89 ChuckT

ChuckT

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:07 AM

Just landed a decent lot of stuff out of a basement today. Spent more than I intended, but ended up with some nice finds, and will easily make my money back on the transaction (already have recouped 75% of my cost in less than 24 hours). Here's what I landed:

NES with one controller and gun
Mega Man 5
Master Fu and The Drunkard Hu
Tombs and Treasures
P.O.W.
Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom
Bad Dudes
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Super Mario/Duck Hunt

Super Nintendo with two controllers

Super Mario World
Donkey Kong Country CIB
F-Zero
Mario Paint With Mouse Pad (no mouse)
Road Runner Death Valley Rally
Skuljagger
Home Alone 2
Final Fight
The Tick
Rival Turf
Turtles IV
E.V.O. - Search For Eden

Nintendo 64 with two controllers, Memory Card and Rumble Pack
Goldeneye 007
GT64
Super Mario 64
Super Mario Kart 64
WCW Mayhem
Doom
Fighter Destiny
F1 Pole Position 64

Sega Genesis Games
Sonic The Hedgehog 2
Pat Riley Basketball
FIFA International Soccer
College Slam
World Championship Soccer
Lakers Vs. Celtics
NBA Live 95

PS2 Games
SOCOM II
NHL 2003
Battlefield 2
Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow
SOCOM 3
ATV Offroad Fury

PS3 Games
Motor Storm
Call Of Duty: World At War
SOCOM Confrontation

Plus two boxes of random cables and controllers and everything I need for a Power Glove, minus the Power Glove. The woman that sold me the stuff is still going through boxes, and is going to give me a call when/if she finds the missing mouse/Power Glove. Hopefully she located some more gems while she is looking.

Will eventually post photos of the stuff I kept - the NES, SNES and N64 are already gone, as is Mario World and an unboxed Donkey Kong Country. Hoping to dump the PS2 and 3 stuff too, as well as any other doubles that are floating around.

#90 Macheezmo

Macheezmo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:18 AM

I've still got about 2 months for any yard sales to start up around here. So in the mean time I'm writing an app for my phone to keep track of my entire collection so I know what I have. Also it has prices from VGPC which I can update on the fly. Not as accurate as looking at ebay prices but it still gives me a good ballpark figure. It should speed up my yard saling when I see games and I'm not sure if they're valuable or if I can't remember if I already own them.