Photo
- - - - -

Official 2012 Yard Sale Thread

• Please log in to reply
2495 replies to this topic

#1291 Doomstink

Doomstink

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:00 AM

There's tons of import stuff floating around NC, you can mostly blame that on the three major military bases in the area (Pope AFB, Bragg, Lejeune). The other major reason is that Buy-Rite was based out of Raleigh - which I'm sure none of you have good things to say about. Their storefront used to have thousands of overpriced imports. When they went out of business, I guess it all got cleared out - so you can find imports at second hand stores here pretty easily.

#1292 sevenfold

sevenfold

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:04 AM

I spent 8 hours and went to a little over 100 yard sales, across 15 towns/cities.

Wow, so you averaged over 12.5 sales per hour, or more than one every 5 minutes. Do you just, like, fly up their driveway at breakneck speed and poke your head out the window and yell "YOU GUYS GOT ANY CHEAP GAMES?!", then peel out if it looks like they might say no?

#1293 ChicagoCubz

ChicagoCubz

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:33 PM

Wow, so you averaged over 12.5 sales per hour, or more than one every 5 minutes. Do you just, like, fly up their driveway at breakneck speed and poke your head out the window and yell "YOU GUYS GOT ANY CHEAP GAMES?!", then peel out if it looks like they might say no?

I take a megaphone with me, pull within 20-30 ft of a sale, announce my presence, and demand they bring any and all video games to my car.

#1294 zekeike

zekeike

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:41 PM

Picked these up Thurs and Friday.

Huge controller lot for 5 bucks. Separated the Nintendo stuff. A ton more other stuff was in the box.

Posted Image

DS games for $10
$4 for the Ps2 games
N64 Game $1
Book 50 cents
Posted Image

$5 for the PS2/PS1 games

Posted Image

#1295 juangrande386

juangrande386

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:54 PM

I don't think $10 for that NES is all that bad, I have definitely seen worse lots go for a lot more than that, if I needed it I would pay $10 and source a power supply later on.

Exactly, thats an EASY $30 flip even without the power supply. I always laugh when people say they overpaid but could easily make profit.

http://mbsy.co/lootcrate/8401525 Loot Crate (Get boxes of tech/gamer/nerd stuff delievered every month)

http://www.ebates.co...TvZAODnfHwJLg== Earn Cash Back on shopping sites

http://sensor2.suite...S=1&RPID=282220 Tango Giftcards for running an app

Earn giftcards for Amazon and other places by clicking the referral links. Help a brother out while youre at it :)

#1296 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:56 PM

90% of people here won't bring out more stuff if you ask, I have tried asking for specifics and it usually doesn't work, it became a waste of time for me to do this. Sometimes people will voluentairly bring out more stuff though when you are buying a lot of one thing, its a you know we have more of those in the house type of thing though.

If you admit to being a collector of something or if you seem overly interested the price might double instantly or they migt say oh this might be worth money I will sell it on ebay instead. A lot of people ask me if I am a collector of video games and its hard to make up an excuse as to why I am buying them if I am not.

#1297 Artrigis

Artrigis

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:22 PM

90% of people here won't bring out more stuff if you ask, I have tried asking for specifics and it usually doesn't work, it became a waste of time for me to do this. Sometimes people will voluentairly bring out more stuff though when you are buying a lot of one thing, its a you know we have more of those in the house type of thing though.

If you admit to being a collector of something or if you seem overly interested the price might double instantly or they migt say oh this might be worth money I will sell it on ebay instead. A lot of people ask me if I am a collector of video games and its hard to make up an excuse as to why I am buying them if I am not.

Here is what I have learned to say, I think my age helps give it credit though (twenties). Im trying to get back a lot of the games I had when I was a kid, because I usually would buy 3 games, then after I beat those, trade the 3 in for 1 new game.

Edit: Is it really worth $30? Surprisingly this is actually the first NES Ive found while yardsailing, I don't really know too much about NES values yet as I haven't encountered many games sailing. Didn't know they were that valuable even without a power source. That's good to know.

#1298 tuffguycore

tuffguycore

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:02 PM

I went to a flea market today, and found some older stuff, but probably wasn't worth the money, so I moved on, then found a table that had some sports stuff(I'm a huge 49ers fan, and it's hard to find a lot of stuff on the East Coast) with a talking Steve Young statue, a zippo, and the collectors(steel box) set of Star Wars Jedi Knight II(which I forgot came with the first Jedi Knight), for ~30. It might have been too much, but everything was in pretty good shape, except the zippo, which I know I can replace...

Sorry it's not more game based, the one game I wanted, the kid took back just as I was about to make an offer because he "wanted to play it some more". Stupid Kotor always out of my grasp....

#1299 Indigo_Streetlight

Indigo_Streetlight

East Coast Scum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:13 PM

Interesting, that's roughly the opposite of what I do. If they ask I'll tell them that I collect games (as opposed to reselling them), and if they get the dollar sign syndrome I've got no problem informing them that their titles are "fairly common." ;)

However, if they have good stuff or something I want (for example Soul Blazer for the SNES marked at $25), I'll offer $20. A lot of times when I make a few purchases like this it breaks down the seller's resistance and gets them in the mood to bulk sale the rest for much cheaper rate.
The Asylum leads the eyes of those pursued by gaming madness...

#1300 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:16 PM

Any of these work:

I collect games and I play/keep them, so I don't pay a lot for them.

I'm trying to get the games I sold back in the day...

My brother had this game and I want a copy...

I like the cartridge games that gamestop doesn't take. (This is my favorite/go to line because it devalues the games and states that I am a collector/gamer)

#1301 Obiwan456

Obiwan456

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:24 PM

Wait, is soul blazer a valuable game? Please tell me it isn't. Is it?

#1302 TiKi2

TiKi2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:40 PM

Out of all the years I've been at it this is the first time I ever get any video game stuff for free. Dirty as fucken shit though, but can't complain about free. I'll post a pick later.

When is the best time to sell one of those TI-83? I'm guessing mid august.

#1303 Invicta 61

Invicta 61

Gabagool, Provalone and vinegar peppers

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:44 PM

Here's one that I know DOESN'T work.

I was at a yard sale where a lady had a nice 1970s Huffy bike with the banana seat, probably worth at least $100. This guy was trying to buy it from her for $30 saying "I would need to make some money off of it". Of course he was denied. He then left in his old, rusty pickup truck that had a pile of bikes in the bed taller than the cab of the truck itself. Does that tactic ever work? I've had people try the same thing when selling one of my old cars. Their costs are not of my concern, either you want it at my price or you don't.
Bah weep granah weep nini bong.

And now I present Kate Upton doing the Cat Daddy:

Spoiler

#1304 RenoTurk11

RenoTurk11

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:21 PM

Well I bought Sonic 2 today for the Genesis at the flea market, cart is in good condition with the box and manual. I bought it for $1. Is that a good deal? Lol.

Also is there any reliable places to look up values? most of the stuff I find is crap but if I see something I don't know, I'm really unsure as to what to offer.
A pro isn't someone who sacrifices himself for his job. That's just a fool. - Reno, FFVII

#1305 tuffguycore

tuffguycore

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:23 PM

Out of all the years I've been at it this is the first time I ever get any video game stuff for free. Dirty as fucken shit though, but can't complain about free. I'll post a pick later.

When is the best time to sell one of those TI-83? I'm guessing mid august.

Probably August until the early part of the school year. And if you miss that timeframe, I'd say either Early winter(first round of standardized testing) or early spring(second round of them).

#1306 beard.

beard.

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:49 PM

Well I bought Sonic 2 today for the Genesis at the flea market, cart is in good condition with the box and manual. I bought it for $1. Is that a good deal? Lol.

Also is there any reliable places to look up values? most of the stuff I find is crap but if I see something I don't know, I'm really unsure as to what to offer.

http://videogames.pricecharting.com/

#1307 mguiddy

mguiddy

'nives 'n 'nades

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:07 PM

I was at a yard sale where a lady had a nice 1970s Huffy bike with the banana seat, probably worth at least $100. This guy was trying to buy it from her for $30 saying "I would need to make some money off of it". Of course he was denied. He then left in his old, rusty pickup truck that had a pile of bikes in the bed taller than the cab of the truck itself. Does that tactic ever work? I've had people try the same thing when selling one of my old cars. Their costs are not of my concern, either you want it at my price or you don't.

It works on Pawn Stars and American Pickers. :lol:

#1308 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:10 PM

There is guy around here like that. He tows a trailer and says "Well I wasn't planning on buying furniture today..."

#1309 sevenfold

sevenfold

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:16 PM

Doesn't usually work in any kind of transaction where the seller already has a target price. I occasionally post on craigslist, though, offering to buy old games/systems/accessories and make it clear that my intentions are to resell most of what I buy. I offer to bring cash to their house or wherever they want to meet me at their convenience in exchange for stuff that GameStop no longer accepts or would only give them pennies for. It works pretty well. I pretty often get people who have stuff left over from garage sales and just assume they were probably asking too much.

#1310 ryuk1214

ryuk1214

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:37 PM

You say item is priceless and illegal to sell or even possess in the USA? I'll give you $50, I gotta restore it, make money on it, It's a hassle.

#1311 Bing147

Bing147

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:39 PM

I think it can work in that setting as there's no sense of illusion there. If you take something to a pawn shop, you know, or at least should know, that the person is buying it in order to make a profit. You bring in a middle man, you get the advantage of selling quick but you also hurt your value. At a garage sale though, or a flea market, or something like that, its a very different situation as they aren't going to a middle man, they are trying to sell it themselves.
www.vg-force.com

#1312 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:08 PM

I don't think this would work, if a yard sale seller found out you were a reseller then they would probably turn you down quickly since they wouldn't want their stuff going to a reseller. Also the price they charge you may double. People on here have said that those with a scanner or smartphone in hand have been charged higher prices than those who just come around looking for stuff. This applies mostly to sales where things aren't priced. I still think its definitely better to NOT admit to being a reseller.

Its really very simple, if your prices are high, stuff will not sell. If your prices are low, stuff will sell. Doesn't matter who you are selling to, the mom with kids is going to buy more if your prices low, the reseller will buy everything and then you can pack up and have the rest of the day to yourself. I have never seen a yard sale here that has sold everything they had, most are on the second and third day by the time I get there and they still have more than a full load of stuff to sell. I honestly think that if people see high price tags they just walk, they don't even bother to try and talk them down.

The group buying is a sure fire tactic much like the CIF. Pick up everything you want then offer a reasonable price and you will most likely get it. The Assassin's creed games I got yesterday were marked $7 $7 and $5, I said 3 for $15 and it was taken.

I have no intentions of selling the Go Video, I plan on keeping it, as I will probably never see another especially at the price I got it for and its a unique item that I have wanted for a long time.

#1313 Ferrari Racer

Ferrari Racer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:23 PM

HOLY S*** HOLY S***!!! That NES bundle I bought for $15 has DIE HARD!!!

#1314 ferant316

ferant316

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:26 PM

:lol: I think that's what I'll do next week. This week was so many because I went to three Church community sales, which are kinda like a combination yard sale/flea market. They hold them so people that don't have yards/live in apartments can have yard sales. Easy way to hit 15-30 yard sales in one stop in a matter of minutes.

And I left my house at before 6, and didn't get home until 4 but 2 hours of that were spent driving my girlfriend to her sister's house while her car is in the body shop so I only stopped at a minimal amount during the drive so I didn't count that. I do keep a list of every sale I go to, so if its bad, overpriced, etc. I can look back and know to avoid it or if its good make note to go back.

#1315 RenoTurk11

RenoTurk11

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:53 PM

Thanks Mizzou!
A pro isn't someone who sacrifices himself for his job. That's just a fool. - Reno, FFVII

#1316 white3er

white3er

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:13 PM

HOLY S*** HOLY S***!!! That NES bundle I bought for $15 has DIE HARD!!!

wow that is lucky. I have the manual and I have been looking for Die Hard and a few other rare NES games.
Posted Image

#1317 tuffguycore

tuffguycore

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:15 PM

Die hard is considered a rare NES game? I need to learn what's what haha.

#1318 Ferrari Racer

Ferrari Racer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:26 PM

Yep goes for 50-100 on eBay.

#1319 TiKi2

TiKi2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:15 PM

Probably August until the early part of the school year. And if you miss that timeframe, I'd say either Early winter(first round of standardized testing) or early spring(second round of them).

Thanks I'll give it a shot.

#1320 uiengineer

uiengineer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:29 PM

not super rare, but tough to find, especially in the wild