Official 2012 Yard Sale Thread

• Please log in to reply
2495 replies to this topic

#1621 KtMack23

KtMack23

Retired from CAGing

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:37 PM

first post here and i just came asking a question. a guy at a sale this weekend had like 30 strategy guides in pretty good condition asking 5 bucks a piece for them. they were mostly ps2 rpg's (such as FF X, X-2, XII, Xenosaga etc) and a few popular pc ones (diablo, warcraft).

i got him down to 3 bucks a piece and picked up 2 of them, I was just wondering if i should have bought more and/or if there is a place to look up some sort of referencing value for guides like games themselves and vgpc. thanks!

Just check them on Amazon

#1622 animemaniac14

animemaniac14

Do the Monkey w/Me!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:13 PM

Although guides are never sure fire sells on amazon. Particularly ones like mario kart wii which at one point was valued at $100+ new...but high value trade ins are always good

Posted Image

[CDs=450] [DVDs=727] [VGs=434] [Books=183]

6% Cash back on BestBuy.com (can use for in-store pick up too!)!
http://www.topcashba...m/ref/cidsaijin

Spoiler

Spoiler

Free Gift Cards > Sex with a Blueshirt

#1623 te619

te619

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:15 PM

Not many games but I did find a roomba 560 for $10. Needs a battery.

I don't have a hut 8 anywhere remotely near me but was wondering what brands do you buy?

This probably sounds like a commercial, but really just an FYI. I read some other posts about picking up books and made a few dollars off of that, so I'm trying to share some other money making ideas since we are out looking amyway :)

There are other stores like it for example Plato's closet. I'm sure there are other chains. It's not going to make you a million dollars, but I've been able to make some extra $. This weekend I picked up 18 items for $20, traded them for $37.50.

Brands were:
Chaps, Pink (Victoria's Secret), Hollister, Old Navy, Aeropostale, Abercrombie, and Nautica.

Different brands/different types of clothes have different values. My rule is to never spend more then $1 on anything. So far I've made profit on it all.

#1624 schultzed

schultzed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:38 PM

i got him down to 3 bucks a piece and picked up 2 of them, I was just wondering if i should have bought more and/or if there is a place to look up some sort of referencing value for guides like games themselves and vgpc. thanks!

The ones you listed aren't worth much but RPG guides can be valuable. At $3 each, it would be hard to profit when buying them blind . . . if you bought 10, you'd likely have a few that are worth something but maybe not much more than $30 total.

The best source for value would be Amazon.

#1625 dasme313

dasme313

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:22 PM

This probably sounds like a commercial, but really just an FYI. I read some other posts about picking up books and made a few dollars off of that, so I'm trying to share some other money making ideas since we are out looking amyway :)

There are other stores like it for example Plato's closet. I'm sure there are other chains. It's not going to make you a million dollars, but I've been able to make some extra $. This weekend I picked up 18 items for $20, traded them for $37.50.

Brands were:
Chaps, Pink (Victoria's Secret), Hollister, Old Navy, Aeropostale, Abercrombie, and Nautica.

Different brands/different types of clothes have different values. My rule is to never spend more then $1 on anything. So far I've made profit on it all.

What a great idea! I never thought to buy clothes to bring to Plato's Closet and will definitely be looking to do so in the future. Many thanks

#1626 pulsar0510

pulsar0510

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:42 PM

I haven't been posting my finds because there haven't been many. I have been saving them up in a box to post them all at once at some point, but I had to share the following find:
Went to a yardsale that didn't have much videogame wise, at least not that I saw. I did notice an Odyssey 2 with 2 controllers and 4 games w/$10 on the box. I thought about it while I looked at some other stuff (sale had no one at it). I looked in a box that had 2 PS2 guitar controllers and found a bag that had a Black Nitendo DS lite w/charger, mario cart DS, and Guitar Hero GBA. I asked the lady if she had more games for the DS and she said no. So I asked about the DS (have one, didn't need it but I was thinking I would use it to bargain for the Odyssey). She said "$3 for the box". I about fell over. There were some other things in the box as well, so I said yes and asked her if she would take $5 for the Odyssey, which she accepted. The DS works fine, haven't tried the Odyssey yet. There was also a Nerf gun and a DS first party multi-game case/extra stylus in the box. Crazy deal!

#1627 Indigo_Streetlight

Indigo_Streetlight

East Coast Scum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:36 PM

first post here and i just came asking a question. a guy at a sale this weekend had like 30 strategy guides in pretty good condition asking 5 bucks a piece for them. they were mostly ps2 rpg's (such as FF X, X-2, XII, Xenosaga etc) and a few popular pc ones (diablo, warcraft).

The Limited Edition version of Final Fantasy XII and Xenosaga 3 might be worth fooling with at that price; for pc stuff you have to really know what you're doing though--with a diablo 2 guide for example it would only be worth something as part of a battlechest.
The Asylum leads the eyes of those pursued by gaming madness...

#1628 Doomstink

Doomstink

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:07 AM

The ones you listed aren't worth much but RPG guides can be valuable. At $3 each, it would be hard to profit when buying them blind . . . if you bought 10, you'd likely have a few that are worth something but maybe not much more than $30 total.

The best source for value would be Amazon.

Some non-RPG guides are worth a lot that you'd never expect - Golden Axe: Beast Rider, Disney's Cars, etc. As suggested, it's totally worth hopping on Amazon and looking through all the guides to see what is valuable.

#1629 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:34 AM

The Plato's closet idea sounds like a great one but based on reviews that I have read they are extremely picky about what they buy so I am not so sure if I would pick up clothing solely for the purpose of trying to sell it there as it may end up being a lot of wasted money. I will test out my local Plato's and Clothes Mentor if I am able to and report back. One thing is for sure if you are going for clothing resale buying and selling plus sized clothing on ebay is an almost sure way to generate some funds provided you can find like new clothing with no stains, tears or holes... the larger the clothing the better! The reason being is fat people need clothing too but a lot of them are too embarrassed to try clothing on in a store so they head to ebay or online outlets for their clothing. I have had the best luck with plus-sized clothing as far as clothing sales go. It almost always sells. Teenage clothing is a dime a dozen on ebay and so is middle range sized women's clothing. If you have something like pants in a 10 long or a 14 short then you will probably be able to sell it, since the odd sizes seem to sell the best. But a 12 average might not sell as good since its common in stores.

#1630 Shaq-Funaki

Shaq-Funaki

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:57 AM

Today I had my best gaming find of the season. A sealed copy of Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition for Gamecube... .for $0.50! :bouncy:

:applause: nice

Please check out my YouTube video game channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/shaqfunaki

#1631 dasme313

dasme313

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:19 AM

Thank you SaraAB for the tips.

BTW

Posted Image

I couldn't resist posting a pic ;)

#1632 Artrigis

Artrigis

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:24 AM

Thank you SaraAB for the tips.

BTW

I couldn't resist posting a pic ;)

Very nice! Looks like $115 value on that. That's got to be the best $0.50 you've ever spent.
I've come close to that profit margin before once, board game for $3 sold for $105 on CL.

#1633 Bing147

Bing147

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:32 AM

My $10.00 Star Fox 64 should come close to 100.00, still nowhere near that...
www.vg-force.com

#1634 Monoxide1986

Monoxide1986

Recovering Flipper

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:21 AM

I prefer my profit margin on the $2 Panic Restaurant NES Cartridge I picked up at a yard-sale that I ended up selling for $325 on eBay. But, a decent find nonetheless.

#1635 schultzed

schultzed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:29 AM

Some non-RPG guides are worth a lot that you'd never expect - Golden Axe: Beast Rider, Disney's Cars, etc. As suggested, it's totally worth hopping on Amazon and looking through all the guides to see what is valuable.

I didn't mean that other guides don't have value but the poster mentioned RPG guides. If you can buy them cheaply enough, its worth taking a chance on any guides. They are also fun to collect just because of the pics.

Here are a few that I've flipped:
http://www.amazon.co...star wars guide

I sold about 8 copies of this one a few years ago that I bought for $5.98 each at a local store:
http://www.amazon.co...ords=myst guide

I got $160 for this one early this year:
http://www.amazon.co...dent evil guide

Edited by schultzed, 07 August 2012 - 11:59 AM.

#1636 Nick45

Nick45

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:23 PM

I haven't been posting my finds because there haven't been many. I have been saving them up in a box to post them all at once at some point, but I had to share the following find:
Went to a yardsale that didn't have much videogame wise, at least not that I saw. I did notice an Odyssey 2 with 2 controllers and 4 games w/$10 on the box. I thought about it while I looked at some other stuff (sale had no one at it). I looked in a box that had 2 PS2 guitar controllers and found a bag that had a Black Nitendo DS lite w/charger, mario cart DS, and Guitar Hero GBA. I asked the lady if she had more games for the DS and she said no. So I asked about the DS (have one, didn't need it but I was thinking I would use it to bargain for the Odyssey). She said "$3 for the box". I about fell over. There were some other things in the box as well, so I said yes and asked her if she would take $5 for the Odyssey, which she accepted. The DS works fine, haven't tried the Odyssey yet. There was also a Nerf gun and a DS first party multi-game case/extra stylus in the box. Crazy deal!

Great find! :applause:

#1637 TheHeef

TheHeef

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:22 PM

I've got some stuff to post from this weekend's venture, but I have to pull a Slowdive and wait until I can get some pics for it. More to come...

#1638 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:21 PM

I am pretty sure my biggest profit margin ever was about $75 on a $2 boxed strawberry shortcake doll. I also did well once selling a NES with the 3 mario games for about $130 though I don't actually remember how much I paid for that stuff. I haven't had any huge profit margin's like $300 yet. I also made a nice profit on a 50 cent copy of NSMB I picked up for the Wii that traded in for $24 at Best Buy.

#1639 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:44 PM

I prefer my profit margin on the $2 Panic Restaurant NES Cartridge I picked up at a yard-sale that I ended up selling for $325 on eBay. But, a decent find nonetheless.

That's nothing compared to the $350 I made off just the box from a $2 CIB copy of Flintstones Surprise at Dinosaur Peak. I also ended up selling the cart for $175.

#1640 uiengineer

uiengineer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:09 PM

Very nice! Looks like $115 value on that. That's got to be the best $0.50 you've ever spent.
I've come close to that profit margin before once, board game for $3 sold for $105 on CL.

man. when this came out, i had a sealed stack of these. I did sell them off for like $70 each at the time. I kept one (and opened it). I wish i had an unopened one too.

#1641 burritoman

burritoman

Bounty Hunter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:41 PM

That's nothing compared to the $350 I made off just the box from a $2 CIB copy of Flintstones Surprise at Dinosaur Peak. I also ended up selling the cart for $175.

Jesus are you shitting me?

3DS Friend Code: 2492-4618-0670 Always looking for new Pokemon!

#1642 uiengineer

uiengineer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:46 PM

that must have been a while ago because the cart goes for $500ish now and the box can probably pull $1k

#1643 Shaq-Funaki

Shaq-Funaki

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:24 AM

that must have been a while ago because the cart goes for $500ish now and the box can probably pull $1k

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!

Please check out my YouTube video game channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/shaqfunaki

#1644 needler420

needler420

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:26 AM

Jesus are you shitting me?

The reason that game is worth so much is because it was never for sale at retail only blockbuster rented it out.

needler420.png

#1645 Artrigis

Artrigis

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:01 AM

The reason that game is worth so much is because it was never for sale at retail only blockbuster rented it out.

Ahh ic, so just like that Clayfighter game for N64 then.

#1646 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:13 PM

It was a few years ago. It's posted in one of the old yard sale threads here.

#1647 NiiNJA

NiiNJA

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:59 PM

hm, interesting. when someone has like 10+ guides though, there's no way i could plug them all into my phone reasonably (and, tbh, i don't even think my current shitty phone can access amazon with any kind of reasonable speed for even one guide look up).

how do you guys pick through strategy guides you see? i picked up a xenogears guide solely on the basis that it was a hard to find ps1 game and that worked out well but it was basically just a guess into a field of strategy guides i've never entered before (first time i've seen them in the wild). it would be nice if they were added onto vgpc or someone compiled some sort of list of what to look out for.

#1648 donut

donut

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:58 PM

hm, interesting. when someone has like 10+ guides though, there's no way i could plug them all into my phone reasonably (and, tbh, i don't even think my current shitty phone can access amazon with any kind of reasonable speed for even one guide look up).

how do you guys pick through strategy guides you see? i picked up a xenogears guide solely on the basis that it was a hard to find ps1 game and that worked out well but it was basically just a guess into a field of strategy guides i've never entered before (first time i've seen them in the wild). it would be nice if they were added onto vgpc or someone compiled some sort of list of what to look out for.

<chuckle> I'll get right on that...;)
"I'd bet ya dollars to donuts ..."

#1649 NiiNJA

NiiNJA

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:33 PM

<chuckle> I'll get right on that...;)

i fail to see what was so comical about that?

#1650 yourlefthand

yourlefthand

Daddy Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:14 PM

i fail to see what was so comical about that?

You just asked another person to give you specific directions on how to make money the same way that s/he does. If more people are selling rare/valuable guides on amazon or the 'bay , the price will probably go down.

Maybe doing your own homework would be a good idea.