Official 2012 Yard Sale Thread

• Please log in to reply
2495 replies to this topic

#1651 NiiNJA

NiiNJA

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:43 PM

You just asked another person to give you specific directions on how to make money the same way that s/he does. If more people are selling rare/valuable guides on amazon or the 'bay , the price will probably go down.

Maybe doing your own homework would be a good idea.

please tell me youre kidding?

i understand increased knowledge on the subject could have a relatively large impact on getting these items (ie someone beating you out at getting them at a sale/flea market or whatever) but lists of every single game value for nearly every video game console has been published by vgpc and unless i'm missing something, game values haven't decreased because of them.

after reading through most of this thread, i thought it was mostly to brag about your scores but also share your experiences. i've learned a lot from random insights here such as just a few pages back in buying brand name clothes and then flipping them for an instant profit at a clothes shop and it's things like that which have made this thread interesting and a valuable enough reference to read through.

#1652 Artrigis

Artrigis

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:29 PM

please tell me youre kidding?

i understand increased knowledge on the subject could have a relatively large impact on getting these items (ie someone beating you out at getting them at a sale/flea market or whatever) but lists of every single game value for nearly every video game console has been published by vgpc and unless i'm missing something, game values haven't decreased because of them.

after reading through most of this thread, i thought it was mostly to brag about your scores but also share your experiences. i've learned a lot from random insights here such as just a few pages back in buying brand name clothes and then flipping them for an instant profit at a clothes shop and it's things like that which have made this thread interesting and a valuable enough reference to read through.

TBH I think mostly this thread is just for bragging. If you pay attention to what people are bragging about, you may learn what is good to buy and resell.
Every now and then some good info pops out, but I think a lot of people here don't want to blatantly just tell everyone that you should buy X because its worth Y.
I know for a fact Ive seen several posters around these boards bragging about buys that are in my neighborhood, so I wouldn't personally want to inform my competitors what to buy, nor they inform me.

#1653 Invicta 61

Invicta 61

Gabagool, Provalone and vinegar peppers

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:05 PM

TBH I think mostly this thread is just for bragging. If you pay attention to what people are bragging about, you may learn what is good to buy and resell.
Every now and then some good info pops out, but I think a lot of people here don't want to blatantly just tell everyone that you should buy X because its worth Y.
I know for a fact Ive seen several posters around these boards bragging about buys that are in my neighborhood, so I wouldn't personally want to inform my competitors what to buy, nor they inform me.

I never mention my specific location because I'm in a smaller market and competition is fierce enough! Whenever someone on here mentions my area specifically I put them in my list of CAG profiles to stalk. ;)
Bah weep granah weep nini bong.

And now I present Kate Upton doing the Cat Daddy:

Spoiler

#1654 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:15 AM

I never mention my specific location because I'm in a smaller market and competition is fierce enough! Whenever someone on here mentions my area specifically I put them in my list of CAG profiles to stalk. ;)

That's me you are talking about...and I know where you live. I've been to the big lots there when they had the $3 DVD box sets. I think I dropped $200 or so that day. :lol:

#1655 crows in black

crows in black

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:51 AM

did anyone else go to the 127 sale aka worlds longest yard sale? It gets worse and worse every year with more flea market resellers and less actual yard sales (the weird thing is that highway 127 almost never goes through neighborhoods, hardly anyone lives anywhere near it so I don't get why they would pick that road for yard sales), but this year was really the worst, probably because it rained the entire week. The only thing I found was an NES with no cords for 5 dollars and a toploader dog boner controller for 1 dollar, which I can flip pretty easily.

I noticed on the official 127 sale facebook page that A LOT of people were complaining about the resellers and their ridiculously high prices and refusal to haggle on anything, so at least people are finally getting fed up with it. I even saw a few sellers with signs that said, with incorrect spelling, "IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE PRICE GO TO WALMART AND BYE IT!" and this one old guy was yelling at everyone "NO - I WON'T TAKE ANY LESS FOR ANYTHING! I AIN'T PLAYIN NO GAMES!"....then on sunday he just threw all his "antiques" in the garbage instead of the packing them back up!

another funny story, about a month ago I found some guy in a huge mansion selling stuff out of a barn and he had a boxed intellivison with a bunch of (crappy common and sports) boxed games, but he wanted $50 for it so I didn't buy it (I was only interested to resell it). A few weeks later I inadvertently went back to his house again because he listed the sale again and I didn't realize it was the same guy. This time I asked about the games again, assuming it would be less since it didn't sell last time....well now it was $100!! No one bought it and the price went UP! The guy just says to me "yeah I uh....looked....uh.....ebay..." and then said "oh you aren't interested?" and I just laughed at him and walked away and told him I don't go to yard sales to pay ebay prices. Then he says "oh well it still works"...as if if it DIDN'T work it would still be worth anything?! To make it worse, the boxes were now all wet and torn up from the leaking barn roof, and the guy was obviously loaded so I thought it was kind of weird that he was that adamant about getting so much money for an intellivison when he probably doesn't even need the money.

#1656 Olengie

Olengie

Yukari & Rise are the Best Girls.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:54 AM

I would imagine that the people NOT making money would get the fact through their heads that if it does not sell, go cheaper.

Or else they'll end up like that old guy crows mentioned. Hell. If it was "good garbage" I wouldn't mind picking through it. Lolol. It brings meaning to "one man's trash is another man's treasure" :lol:

#1657 CRAZY93NiS

CRAZY93NiS

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:06 AM

got this over the weekend

80 gb ps3 - $15
hogans alley nes - $1
original xbox hip gear screen pad - $2
lois and clark season 1 - $1
sega cd games, the terminator, silpheed complete, sherlock holmes,
sol-feace, sewer shark - $3
|bomberman classic nes series gba 50 cents

here are the pictures

Posted Image

#1658 Indigo_Streetlight

Indigo_Streetlight

East Coast Scum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:22 AM

how do you guys pick through strategy guides you see?

I'll just buy the whole stack at $0.50-1.00 per guide if I recognize a few winners.
The Asylum leads the eyes of those pursued by gaming madness...

#1659 Daw19yoyo

Daw19yoyo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:31 AM

got this over the weekend

80 gb ps3 - $15
hogans alley nes - $1
original xbox hip gear screen pad - $2
lois and clark season 1 - $1
sega cd games, the terminator, silpheed complete, sherlock holmes,
sol-feace, sewer shark - $3
|bomberman classic nes series gba 50 cents

here are the pictures

Look, I gotta ask, how did you get a PS3 for $15? Is it broken or something? Or are you just a hardass negotiator?
Your new riddle of the day...year.... Forever?:
How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could Chuck Norris?
All of it.

(lol) Its a Spaceship!

Dawness:
adjective
1. proceeding, made, or occurring without definite aim, reason, or pattern: the random selection of numbers, multiplied by ∞. :whee:

#1660 CRAZY93NiS

CRAZY93NiS

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:18 AM

at first the guy wanted $50, i was gonna decline and say i dont have that much, but then he said how much do you have then i told him $15, then he said ok ill sell it to you for $15

when i got it home it turned on, no ylod and it took in ps3 games but i couldnt get a video to come up on tv

#1661 my2k2zx2

my2k2zx2

Molly, Rockin the Doggles

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:48 PM

at first the guy wanted $50, i was gonna decline and say i dont have that much, but then he said how much do you have then i told him $15, then he said ok ill sell it to you for $15

when i got it home it turned on, no ylod and it took in ps3 games but i couldnt get a video to come up on tv

Did you try resetting the video? Had this happen after a firmware update on my fat ps3 and I had to do this to get the video again. Could be the hdmi port is fried and maybe try a set of component or composite ps2 cables.

http://www.portfolio...mposite-to-hdmi
If its free, its for me!!

#1662 uiengineer

uiengineer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:58 PM

That's me you are talking about...and I know where you live. I've been to the big lots there when they had the $3 DVD box sets. I think I dropped $200 or so that day. :lol:

shit. i hope he isn't the one taking up all my yard sale finds.

#1663 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:00 PM

shit. i hope he isn't the one taking up all my yard sale finds.

No were are not in the same town. There is a CAG that lives here and at least 1 or 2 that hit my stores based on buying patterns. There are ton of SDers now, so that is throwing off the balance.

Getting rained out today. I didn't go to more than 2 sales the past 2 weeks.

#1664 Doomstink

Doomstink

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:00 AM

toploader dog boner controller

:-s

#1665 Invicta 61

Invicta 61

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:59 AM

And I know where you live. I stand over you in your sleep, and watch you breathe..... :shock:

Spoiler

#1666 uiengineer

uiengineer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:55 PM

No were are not in the same town. There is a CAG that lives here and at least 1 or 2 that hit my stores based on buying patterns. There are ton of SDers now, so that is throwing off the balance.

Getting rained out today. I didn't go to more than 2 sales the past 2 weeks.

i was talking about invicta. i know you and i aren't in same place.

#1667 ferant316

ferant316

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:12 PM

So I haven't posted here in a while, but this was my find last week:
Spoiler

They were a reseller, that does mostly glass and china (I was familiar with them from local auctions/yard sales/flea markets.) I accidentally went to their yard sale not realizing it was them and they had all these, I started taking off the stickers but decided to leave them on for this picture first.

They had them all priced at high eBay prices, and they were my only yard sale I could go to last week (I was doing my own yard sale, and set up and went out to this one while my girlfriend made sure no one came early to mine) so I was upset that I was gonna strike out at my only sale. I asked what the best they could do on everything was and they told me it was what they had on them as they hadn't officially started yet. I asked them if the stuff worked, they told me they are cartridges and cartridges always work so they didn't bother testing them. I responded with it was likely all the batteries on the NES games were bad, and possibly even the N64 games didn't work making them worth next to nothing, and NES are one of the most faulty systems out there so they would need new 72-pin connectors before being worth anything close to the $45 they had on each. I told them purely on a gamble I would do $20, and hope a couple things worked to at least make back my money but hopefully a little extra. After going back and forth a bit, ended up settling on $40.

As for the bad, the Yobo doesn't seem to work it just shows a half black half white screen on any game. All 3 NES systems need new 72-pin connectors. Legend of Zelda has a bad battery. Everything else tested working good.

#1668 Bing147

Bing147

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:55 PM

Solid find this morning. N64 with 3 first party controllers, expansion pack, Mario 64, goldeneye, perfect dark, diddy Kong racing and wipeout 64. 15.00.

Games and two controllers for me, system for sale
www.vg-force.com

#1669 Invicta 61

Invicta 61

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:54 PM

i was talking about invicta. i know you and i aren't in same place.

Nope. I would have to leave the house at 3AM to get to yard sales in the Chicago area by 7AM. That's not gonna happen.

Spoiler

#1670 uiengineer

uiengineer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:58 PM

Nope. I would have to leave the house at 3AM to get to yard sales in the Chicago area by 7AM. That's not gonna happen.

good enough for me. lol

#1671 Invicta 61

Invicta 61

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:03 PM

As for the bad, the Yobo doesn't seem to work it just shows a half black half white screen on any game. All 3 NES systems need new 72-pin connectors. Legend of Zelda has a bad battery. Everything else tested working good.

I assume you already know how to replace the 72 pin connectors and batteries in games. If not, it's easy to do. I would hear of people around here tossing NES systems if they blinked. DON'T DO IT!

Spoiler

#1672 uiengineer

uiengineer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:22 PM

I assume you already know how to replace the 72 pin connectors and batteries in games. If not, it's easy to do. I would hear of people around here tossing NES systems if they blinked. DON'T DO IT!

agreed.

#1673 ferant316

ferant316

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 August 2012 - 01:20 AM

I do, but I have over 30 systems that I bought broken and I need to repair so it means the NES have to wait before being sold. Just funny that most of the reasons I talked them down actually ended up holding true. I like putting in the battery holders for NES games, its same amount of work but so much better when the next one goes, and I have 100s of CR2032 because 4 pairs of my 3D glasses for my TV aren't the rechargeable type so I bought a bulk lot of the CR2032 for them and other projects.

#1674 Shaq-Funaki

Shaq-Funaki

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:59 AM

So I haven't posted here in a while, but this was my find last week:

Spoiler

They were a reseller, that does mostly glass and china (I was familiar with them from local auctions/yard sales/flea markets.) I accidentally went to their yard sale not realizing it was them and they had all these, I started taking off the stickers but decided to leave them on for this picture first.

They had them all priced at high eBay prices, and they were my only yard sale I could go to last week (I was doing my own yard sale, and set up and went out to this one while my girlfriend made sure no one came early to mine) so I was upset that I was gonna strike out at my only sale. I asked what the best they could do on everything was and they told me it was what they had on them as they hadn't officially started yet. I asked them if the stuff worked, they told me they are cartridges and cartridges always work so they didn't bother testing them. I responded with it was likely all the batteries on the NES games were bad, and possibly even the N64 games didn't work making them worth next to nothing, and NES are one of the most faulty systems out there so they would need new 72-pin connectors before being worth anything close to the $45 they had on each. I told them purely on a gamble I would do $20, and hope a couple things worked to at least make back my money but hopefully a little extra. After going back and forth a bit, ended up settling on $40.

Nice finds dude!

Please check out my YouTube video game channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/shaqfunaki

#1675 uiengineer

uiengineer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:54 PM

yard sales are shit for me this weekend.

#1676 Olengie

Olengie

Yukari & Rise are the Best Girls.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:43 PM

Have a party to go to today. So no go on the Yard Sales. My mom told me there is one nearby with Dvds but she didn't buy anything she thought would interest me. Lol.

#1677 SnesGuy

SnesGuy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:44 PM

Well as soon as I got in the car it started pouring rain. Freak storm.
Friggin 6am, 90f, and raining.
I still went out, and had what is my best day out in months.

Posted Image

The tv is a crystal clear 13in prison tv made by RCA. Paid $5
backround - the only lucrative jobs here are working at one of the two prisons.
These are issued too the inmates so the cant hide shit in them.
well, not really issued, but if they want a tv and are allowed it in their
cell they can buy one of these in the prison catalog for about $170

I plan on attempting to hard wire a game gear into it and make a consolized GG
Heavy on the LED's of coarse.

Posted Image

Got the gamecube and DS game both for $5 (she wanted $7)

The controllers and SNES I bought all thrown together in a box for $3
The woman I bought them from said she buys storage lockers.
She told me if she found more she would facebook me ;) (again, I live in a pretty small town)

Edit: btw the analog sticks on the 64 controllers feel brand new, was extremely surprising. nice and springy
Edit 2: Also got a pair 5 tier pine DVD/CD shelves for $1\ea

Edited by SnesGuy, 11 August 2012 - 07:03 PM.

#1678 Artrigis

Artrigis

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:05 PM

That TV is pretty interesting, lol.

Very nice score on pokemon / snes.
Especially like your pokemon score, love selling it.

#1679 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:22 PM

I always saw that kinda tv when I'd watch MSNBC's Lockup series. One of the pawn shops here actually sells them too. I guess maybe once the people get outta jail they bring them into the pawn shop to hawk.;)

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#1680 SnesGuy

SnesGuy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:05 PM

Yea there has been a few popping up for sale here lately. once they buy it its theirs to keep. being a prison town, inmates family move here, then when they get out you have tons of ex cons living here. In this town your pretty much law enforcement or a druggie. Tons of crime for a town this size.

The DS game will be a keep as I haven't touched a Pokemon game since gold for GBC. bought the gamecube game to sell. as that's my third Snes I'll probably sell that, and sell the saturn 3D controller

they also had pokemon mystery dungeon or so i thought, she was getting me change and I realized pokemon saphire GBA was in it. just passed on it.

Edited by SnesGuy, 11 August 2012 - 07:24 PM.