Official 2012 Yard Sale Thread

• Please log in to reply
2495 replies to this topic

#2011 uiengineer

uiengineer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:24 AM

Welcome to the club! For anyone who wants to relieve past events...

http://www.cheapassg...&postcount=1293

are those buttons blue or green? I can't tell.

#2012 Dark Lord Greg

Dark Lord Greg

The Urban Legend

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:28 AM

sucks, sorry :/

eh I had a bad feeling it would be a dealer though funny thing is he advertised it as a "community sale" but he was the only one there and was just in the grass in front of a tennis court.

are those buttons blue or green? I can't tell.

buttons look blue to me and that is a nice pick up. I would love to find one just because it looks like a lot of fun to play with that huge controller I don't even know if the game is any good but still would be fun

Dark+Lord+Greg.png

#2013 yourlefthand

yourlefthand

Daddy Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:36 AM

Went out and hit a fewsales this morning. nothing great, but I did get some sealed pokemon boosters that I think might be something.

I got a set of adapters to run HDMI or CAT5, as well as a bluetooth speakerphone, a sealed lego set that isn't worth much, and a few CDs.

#2014 Indigo_Streetlight

Indigo_Streetlight

East Coast Scum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:11 AM

eh I had a bad feeling it would be a dealer though funny thing is he advertised it as a "community sale" but he was the only one there and was just in the grass in front of a tennis court.

buttons look blue to me and that is a nice pick up. I would love to find one just because it looks like a lot of fun to play with that huge controller I don't even know if the game is any good but still would be fun

In my area resellers are everywhere masquerading as yard sales, but if you keep at it long enough you'll better recognize the "repeat offenders" and locations which have dried up. With ads being misleading, it's sometimes best to follow a path which is convenient to you in a quasi-fractal, chaotic manner.

I haven't played much of SB, but so far it's cool in an arcade cabinet experience kind of way. You really need a good chair and table set-up though; my initial test from a low-seated couch with a coffee table was somewhat less than optimal with the footpedals.
The Asylum leads the eyes of those pursued by gaming madness...

#2015 Artrigis

Artrigis

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:15 AM

Today was a lousy day for me. Picked up some junk for myself that I didn't need that will just take up room.

Gaming related my brother bought LA Noire for $7 and I got an official sega dreamcast bag for $1

#2016 KingTruffle

KingTruffle

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:18 AM

I hit up 3 sales Saturday morning. Nothing too exciting. Honestly the find of the day was not actually a game, but a Dualshock 3 controller that a lady sold me for 5 dollars. I think she thought it was for PS2.

The second sale had some decent gamecube and DS games. Price was slightly higher than I would have liked:

Mario Party 4
Mario Party 6
Mario Sunshine
Kirby's Canvas Curse
Animal Crossing Wild World

I spent 35 total on those.

Last sale I went to I got a few PS2 games:

Mortal Kombat Deception
FFX
Dirge of Cerberus
Bloodrayne 2

Those were 15 bucks.

So yeah, not fantastic deals or amazing finds, but still pretty decent I think.

#2017 schultzed

schultzed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:55 AM

Price was slightly higher than I would have liked:
I spent 35 total on those.

Assuming they're all complete . . . those are worth about $85 on Amazon . . . so you did well especially if you were adding to your collection.

Picked up some junk for myself that I didn't need that will just take up room.

This is a real danger with rummage sales . . . I try to resist overbuying myself but it is tough when you see "cool" stuff and get lost in the moment.

Edited by schultzed, 09 September 2012 - 12:07 PM.

#2018 SnesGuy

SnesGuy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:41 PM

I try to resist overbuying myself but it is tough when you see "cool" stuff and get lost in the moment.

Yep. I have a mound of about 50 board games from this year. Have yet to touch any of them. -_-

#2019 Artrigis

Artrigis

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:48 PM

Yep. I have a mound of about 50 board games from this year. Have yet to touch any of them. -_-

Rofl. Yeah.. I have about 7 board games from the past few months, havent touched one. Though a couple are pretty interesting looking and cool sets.

#2020 jeffthebeast

jeffthebeast

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:38 PM

Today was the first time i have every went to a yard sale, never even tried to haggle the price. The guy wanted 5 a piece for each snes cartridge. Then he finally said ill give you everything in the box for $25. Thought it was a pretty good deal.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2021 burritoman

burritoman

Bounty Hunter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:46 PM

Woohoo got me one more yesterday evening. AFTER I came home and took a nap, we had to go to the store.

Lady had a few things, one was a broken DS, she said it wouldn't charge. Gave it to me free, I took it because it looks practically new, and the hinge on mine busted last week.

Was going to take it apart and frankenstein them together, but decided to swap the battery out of mine and it works like a charm!

3DS Friend Code: 2492-4618-0670 Always looking for new Pokemon!

Get free stuff with my Swagbucks Referral Link: http://swagbucks.com/refer/cookieparty

#2022 schultzed

schultzed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:34 AM

I didn't have much time on either Fri or Sat and there weren't as many sales . . . we are definitely hitting the end of the season here :-(

On both days (Friday and I will post Sat. later) I apparently zigged when I should've zagged. Headed off to a part of town where I had no gaming finds . . .

I did pick up this early on Friday:
Posted Image
I was attracted to the sealed rechargable 9 volt . . . and I got all of this for $2. The woman was down on them because they don't last long. The charger is crappy--so it doesn't indicate bad batteries. I put the AAs on my better charger and learned that 9 of 20 are just dead. The other 11 look like they should be fine. Likewise 1 of the 4 AAAs is dead. I don't have capacity for the Ds and Cs . . . so I will have to use the Everyready charger and weed them out by trial and error. It looks like they are the same. Get rid of the duds and the rest should be OK for general use. She (and her kids) were probably using one good battery with one bad one with frustrating results.

I did get this after an an hour or two of looking:
Posted Image
Paid $3.

I found other media (books, DVDs, and CDs) . . . enough to make me happy on a slow day but then toward the end (after noon) I finally found more gaming stuff.

This one guy had some interesting things . . . 1970s antiques (but nothing for me) but then I found this in a corner of his garage . . . he hadn't gotten it out into the sale:
Posted Image
Posted Image
I saw the SNES box first and tried to keep calm . . . then I found the system and was hoping for some great games. Of course the games are crap . . . I never find a great bundle. But he accepted $10 for all. There are some 2600 Pong paddles . . . sounded like he had sold a 2600 earlier . . . should've gotten there sooner.

2 bricks in one day . . . one works great the other is so-so.

At the very next sale, I found this:
Posted Image
Marked $25 . . . I pitched $10 and paid $12. They had a few crappy games . . . Carbon was the best one and was in the system box. I wonder if they had some better Xbox games but they sold early.

Edited by schultzed, 10 September 2012 - 02:31 AM.

#2023 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

He wears a disguise to look like human guys.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:13 AM

We're up to about 200 games now, but we've actually played most of them.

#2024 SnesGuy

SnesGuy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:33 AM

We're up to about 200 games now, but we've actually played most of them.

I wish I had the time or energy to play any of mine. I work 5 - 6 days a week, 10 hour days in a factory. All I do is sleep and work.

I've been wanting to play hero quest for months >_<

#2025 KingTruffle

KingTruffle

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:43 PM

Assuming they're all complete . . . those are worth about $85 on Amazon . . . so you did well especially if you were adding to your collection.

Yeah, they are all games that I didn't have. So I guess I'm pretty happy with them considering that nugget of information. :D

#2026 xtreme_Zr2

xtreme_Zr2

Mr. Sonny Crockett

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:11 PM

What are yall doing to resale items found at Yard Sales? I've been out of the game for a year due to WAY too much work (only got to go 2 Saturdays this year), but I still have some dupes of FF VII, etc. that I'd like to offload on Ebay. BUT, last night I noticed their FVF is up to 9% + 2.9% for Paypal. 11.9% is crazy.

For anyone that does resale a few of your finds, what avenues are you using?

Currently playing:

Battlefield 3

ME3MP 
Fire Emblem: Awakening

My Strategy Guide TradeList

#2027 NSpectreGarrus

NSpectreGarrus

CAGosaurus Rex!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:14 PM

What are yall doing to resale items found at Yard Sales? I've been out of the game for a year due to WAY too much work (only got to go 2 Saturdays this year), but I still have some dupes of FF VII, etc. that I'd like to offload on Ebay. BUT, last night I noticed their FVF is up to 9% + 2.9% for Paypal. 11.9% is crazy.

For anyone that does resale a few of your finds, what avenues are you using?

They raised their FVF because they made listing items free (up to 50 a month a believe.) I use ebay just because it's easy and I get the most out of the item (compared to trading in or craigslist.)

631840.png

#2028 Ironman8

Ironman8

Nuka-Cola drinker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:16 PM

Cool board game find this summer for me was Kage by TSR. Played this surround and conquer game with my daughter. Very easy to learn, would be real fun with like minded strategy player. Like new condition. Found at church rummage sale.
$4 dollars for the box including Dragon Age PC, Dungeons and Dragons art book, 3 foot tall spongebob, Sea Battle electronic game (it works, handheld version of battleship), other household and make wife happy stuff.

#2029 schultzed

schultzed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:32 AM

Saturday was just a few hours. I headed to the other side of town where there was a "neighborhood" rummage which turned out to be 3 pathetic households. I did find these just off of that area so it wasn't a complete bust:
Posted Image
$4 for all.

I had poor luck for awhile and then headed back to the part of town where I got some good stuff on Friday. Sure enough, I spotted this:
Posted Image
Of course, there's crap for games. The system was marked $20 but she accepted $10. I asked if she'd throw in the games but she wanted $5 more. I walked away with the sys and 15 secs later she came running and gave me the games.
Then I went on a run where it seemed that every sale had games.
At this sale I bought a laptop which I hope to give to my nephew (with a new battery I think it will be OK). The laptop was priced at $25 and she accepted my offer of $20 so fast that I realized I should have said $10.
Posted Image
But then she sold me the Madden (sealed--already flipped for $22) for $5 and the PS2 for $5 (marked $10 each). I paid $5 for the GBC because of all the carts (but no Pokemon). She thew in the Crash.

The next sale I spot the white PS2 but its marked $50.
Posted Image
I offered $20 and she countered $25 so I asked if she'd throw in the Singstar (which it came with--but she had extra) and she agreed.
Now, I'm back near my house but I have a little longer before I need to be home so I head in another direction. I spot an unadvertised sale and find games.
Posted Image
This guy had some PS3 and Wii games but he was holding the line too strongly on prices. I did dig around in this bin and pulled out some old-school stuff. I was trying to deal with this guy but he was pretty firm . . . I bundled this stuff and paid $50 for all. Afterward I was just chatting with him and I made the mistake of saying "did you sell much stuff?" Maybe he was blowing smoke but he says that all that I was looking at was only 1/4 of what he had at the start . . . on Friday . . . about 5 blocks from my fucking house. I don't know if I went in this direction on Friday . . . maybe I went by at 8:30 and he started at 10:00 either way it sucks.

Edited by schultzed, 12 September 2012 - 12:21 AM.

#2030 sleepydumbdude

sleepydumbdude

MASHED POTATOES!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:08 AM

Work was having a charity yard sale on saturday. I was setting up for it and found a virtual boy for 5 dollars and two games (mario tennis and wario land). I also got about 30 games for various systems because we were told to mark them 3 a piece. Most are crappy games you can get for 3-10 at gamestop though and some were sports. I just felt bad paying 5 for the virtual boy It works and in great condition so I just went ahead and bought the rest of the games and electronics they had. I did get a bit ripped off though because I bought a sound bar for ten dollars and that makes popping sounds. I had all the good electronics stuff bought before it even opened to the public.
Right now I have a local craigslist post for best off for virtual boy I want to see if someone trades me something for it that I may want. If that doesn't pan out I am probably going to throw it up on ebay or cag trading forum. I just don't like dealing with shipping stuff so trying craigslist first.

#2031 Desousa93

Desousa93

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:40 AM

Awesome thread Ill list some. Halo Reach Dr. Hasely's journal 5$. Kirby (first one on the GB) 25c. Guitar hero drum set and guitar 10$.

#2032 crows in black

crows in black

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:55 PM

Man I am so sick of the crap going on in my area lately, all I ever see anymore are sales that use the words "antique" and "vintage" to describe everything. Its in at least 90% of all garage sale ads! And now a lot of people are even stating things like "dont expect yard sale prices" or "i know what this stuff is worth" or "fair prices but not giving it away". Why even have a yard sale at all? Just sell the shit on ebay if its so damn valuable! Wait I know, youre "too busy" for ebay, buy not so busy you cant spend 3 days sitting in your garage holding a yard sale. What ever happened to people just wanting to get rid of things? Now everyone thinks they are running an antique store out of their front yard. Its not just for games either, I see it for all kinds of things

#2033 Kovorkian

Kovorkian

Judoka on a CAG Hiatus due to new job

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:04 PM

Man I am so sick of the crap going on in my area lately, all I ever see anymore are sales that use the words "antique" and "vintage" to describe everything. Its in at least 90% of all garage sale ads! And now a lot of people are even stating things like "dont expect yard sale prices" or "i know what this stuff is worth" or "fair prices but not giving it away". Why even have a yard sale at all? Just sell the shit on ebay if its so damn valuable! Wait I know, youre "too busy" for ebay, buy not so busy you cant spend 3 days sitting in your garage holding a yard sale. What ever happened to people just wanting to get rid of things? Now everyone thinks they are running an antique store out of their front yard. Its not just for games either, I see it for all kinds of things

this, was driving saw a yard sale, selling a WEDDING DRESS for a grand >.> at a YARD SALE :twoguns:

needless to say they had about 10 "yardsales" since june trying to get rid of everything

Tradelist   (mostly Nintendo / Sony)  

May DealSeeker continue to guide us through dark voids, lead us not into tempting terrible deals, and deliver us from EA.

gallery_474050_8161_75125.jpg

Designed by Lilchiji

#2034 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:02 PM

Around here if this happens people either won't show up at the sale, or they simply won't buy if the prices are too high. I don't do it but other customers are more than happy to tell the seller that their prices are too high. I see overpricing a lot, probably why most lawns around here still have 80% of their stuff left on the 3rd day of the sale. If I saw an ad like that I would NOT go to the sale, I would note the address of the sale and write never to go to that house. But I don't think anyone around here would bother to place an ad like that in the paper since its almost sure if you do that no one will show up and an ad in the paper costs $29 for the weekend here. I can see people doing this on CL because its free to post but I can't imagine it being a good thing for business.

Although writing down the address and noting not to go to it for any reason might not be a good idea, some of these people get fed up, and throw everything into the trash or they eventually have a sale with very cheap prices because it comes to a point where they NEED to get rid of stuff. That would be great if you like to trash pick. Especially since trash picking outside of houses is legal here. I have met people that would rather throw items into the trash than sell for a cheap price... I don't get it, but some people are like that.

I have stopped caring about the houses with nothing but overpriced merchandise, if I see one, I don't buy anything at that house and move on to the next sale. I will find a house with well priced items eventually, and I save my money for those houses. Those houses with good prices will get my money.

There are reasons for not selling on ebay, fees, and items that are too heavy to ship like furniture, also because the person is probably too lazy to list, or has items that are really not worth anything on ebay, but they want to make it seem like they are worth something so people will come and buy them out of pure stupidity. You also need a credit card and bank account to list on ebay since paypal is required, and some people do not have those things.

#2035 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

He wears a disguise to look like human guys.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:01 PM

A lot of people also have no idea how to use a computer. It's surprisingly common and I would estimate that at least 20% of people in this area don't own one.

#2036 crows in black

crows in black

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:16 PM

Ive said a million times before: if you want ebay prices then sell on ebay. Pay the fees, take photos, write descriptions, figure the shipping, and all the other work it takes. Otherwise dont sell things based on ebay prices. I swear people think ebay is some magical fairy that just automaticaly lists and sells things for you at no charge

And my rules of thumb are if I see the words "vintage" or "antique", multiple games and systems (or toys or movies or too many similar items), or really long detailed descriptions, I wont even go. Its almost always a reseller or ebay prices. I only go for the sales that just say general things like "video games". The problem is most sales around here now are the wannabe antique dealers

I think it doesnt matter if the sellers have computers or not, most of them watch crap like pawn stars and toy hunter and think "wow I can get rich off them thar nintendo tapes!"

#2037 SnesGuy

SnesGuy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:18 PM

If I saw an ad like that I would NOT go to the sale, I would note the address of the sale and write never to go to that house.

Sounds great, I try to not get mad myself; but spending my one day off with very little sleep and dealing with these idiots all morning makes me want to start strangling people.

"oh but on Ebay its selling for X amount! I'm selling it for 1/3 less!"
-_-

The problem is most sales around here now are the wannabe antique dealers

I blame all these auction/pawn/crap shows on tv.

#2038 my2k2zx2

my2k2zx2

Molly, Rockin the Doggles

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:20 PM

They dont realize if there are no bids, it isnt selling. Or have the know-how to click the "completed listings" box and find ones that actually sold.
If its free, its for me!!

#2039 leecy

leecy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:07 PM

Not really picture-worthy, but went to a yard sale on my lunch break today and picked up the following (all disc only):

$4 Super Mario Sunshine
$4 Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
.75 Crash Bandicoot PS1
.75 Crash 2 PS1
.75 Sheep PS1
.75 Spyro: Year of the Dragon PS1
.75 PS2 Online Startup disc

#2040 crows in black

crows in black

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:23 AM

They dont realize if there are no bids, it isnt selling. Or have the know-how to click the "completed listings" box and find ones that actually sold.

A few days ago I saw a guy selling on CL a He-Man Castle Grayskull loose (worth about 20 dollars max if its 100% complete, only worth a few bucks if incomplete) and he wanted $250 for it! His explanation was "they are going for $500 on ebay". I emailed him and said "for the price you are asking, you would have to have the playset mint in the box, never opened or assembled, a loose one isn't worth anywhere near that" and he responded with "well the one I saw for sale on ebay was still sealed in the box.....mine isn't in the box or complete though that is why I only want $250"

Even years after the who debacle with Michael Jackson items selling for stupid prices after his death, I STILL see people trying to sell Thriller on vinyl for $50-$100...at YARD SALES!

To quote AVGN..." what were they THINKING?!"