Photo
- - - - -

Official 2012 Yard Sale Thread

• Please log in to reply
2495 replies to this topic

#2131 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

He wears a disguise to look like human guys.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:56 PM

I'd go with this interpretation; I was about 15 when Final Fantasy 7 first came out and my collection isn't too far off from what xtreme_Zr2 found (minus the Suikoden 1 and 2, Alundra, Tales, and Brigadine--there's going to be some differences in taste 8-) ). All it takes is picking up a couple of titles per year, not to mention a bunch of ps1 titles remained available through the early 2000s. I remember snagging Valkryie Profile new for $29.99 and Persona 2 pre-owned for $24.99...

Yeah, I'm just a couple of years younger than you and I had a pretty hefty game collection. Granted, I didn't have all of those great games, but I also wasn't into JRPG's at the time, aside from Pokémon and maybe Dragon Quest. I didn't get Final Fantasy 7 until a year or two after it came out when it was averaging $15-$20. And let's keep in mind that we don't know how much this guy paid for his games (the ones with price stickers may not even reflect what he actually paid). As I've mentioned a few times on CAG, I bought Suikoden II for $5. I think I paid the same for SaGa Frontier 2. Back then, it was easy to get these games for next to nothing.

Also, I believe Sara said something about how parents these days tend to spoil their kids. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think this is anything new. When I got all A's on my report card or I won some kind of award, you'd better believe I asked for a new game. And more often than not, she'd take me down to KB Toys to pick something out of the bargain bin, which often had quite a few gems (used to get TMNT figures for about $3 each). And don't even get me started on Christmas...we didn't have much money and my family couldn't spoil us a whole lot throughout the year, but they went freakin' nuts at Christmas and I would always end up with a nice little stack of new games. I miss getting spoiled like that!

#2132 ferant316

ferant316

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:00 AM

^^^IDK what is more surprising the awesome game lot or the fact that you "sell Pogs regularly at $20 for 250 with 5 slammers". :lol: :applause:

It is the power of nostalgia ;) It can be a little time consuming but I go through and bag them so there are no repeats out of the 250, none that appear to be used and then seal them all together and put them out at the flea market for $20 a package. I won't say I sell them every week but I normally sell 5-10 packages a month because a lot of times that one person will come around and take 2-3 at once. Now of course I've given away all my secrets.

Its actually more than they go for on eBay. They're just one of many things that just goes to show eBay isn't the end all be all for value. Things like comics, cards, etc. people will pay more locally where they can see it and know the condition before dropping 50% of its value on shipping. Video games on the other hand some people think I'm crazy overpriced for selling copies of Modern Warfare 3 for $21 at a Flea Market but that's less than what it goes for on eBay on average and less than half Gamestop's price but I do that because so many people sell video games at Flea Markets I try to offer a better value so people come back. But I'm the only person who sells Pogs there so I have that market cornered :D

As for the topic of PS1 RPGs I was 10 when FFVII came out and I was already deep into collecting RPGs from the SNES days (thanks a lot Funcoland) so I bought probably a solid 80% of the big PS1 titles and multiples/sealed copies of a lot of them. I was a weird child and that hasn't changed much in adulthood.

#2133 burritoman

burritoman

Bounty Hunter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:09 AM

Spider-Man X-Men Arcade's Revenge
Bubsy II
X-Men Mutant Apocalypse
Jurassic Park
Gradius III
Street Fighter II Turbo
Dream TV
Metal Combat Falcon's Revenge
Mortal Kombat 3
Head-On Soccer
Final Fight
Super Mario World
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3

X-Men and Spider Man is a shitty game, but X-Men Mutant Apocalypse is pretty badass. I actually wish I still had my SNES to play that.

3DS Friend Code: 2492-4618-0670 Always looking for new Pokemon!

Get free stuff with my Swagbucks Referral Link: http://swagbucks.com/refer/cookieparty

#2134 ferant316

ferant316

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:21 AM

X-Men and Spider Man is a shitty game, but X-Men Mutant Apocalypse is pretty badass. I actually wish I still had my SNES to play that.

Its not in the discussion but I still play Maximum Carnage, such a great game.

#2135 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:51 AM

Yeah, I'm just a couple of years younger than you and I had a pretty hefty game collection. Granted, I didn't have all of those great games, but I also wasn't into JRPG's at the time, aside from Pokémon and maybe Dragon Quest. I didn't get Final Fantasy 7 until a year or two after it came out when it was averaging $15-$20. And let's keep in mind that we don't know how much this guy paid for his games (the ones with price stickers may not even reflect what he actually paid). As I've mentioned a few times on CAG, I bought Suikoden II for $5. I think I paid the same for SaGa Frontier 2. Back then, it was easy to get these games for next to nothing.

Also, I believe Sara said something about how parents these days tend to spoil their kids. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think this is anything new. When I got all A's on my report card or I won some kind of award, you'd better believe I asked for a new game. And more often than not, she'd take me down to KB Toys to pick something out of the bargain bin, which often had quite a few gems (used to get TMNT figures for about $3 each). And don't even get me started on Christmas...we didn't have much money and my family couldn't spoil us a whole lot throughout the year, but they went freakin' nuts at Christmas and I would always end up with a nice little stack of new games. I miss getting spoiled like that!

Yeah I was given money in these sorts of situations, being on the honor roll in high school I got quite a bit of money, though most of my friends got a lot more. I wish I was the under-performing kid who was offered $300 for bringing his average up to an 80. I had an average of 91 in high school and I was given $50 for that! If I knew what I knew now and knew that my parents were the bribing type I would have purposely underperformed in the beginning then quickly brought my grades up in order to get the rewards... but then again I don't know if that would have actually worked.

What I mean by spoilage now is that parents will buy their kids anything and everything on a whim, not just for doing something good, kid says they want an iPod, they get one, kid says they want a toy in a store, they get it, no questions asked, there is no waiting for birthday or Xmas in order to get a gift since all they have to do is say the word and the item is handed to them.

#2136 burritoman

burritoman

Bounty Hunter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:08 AM

Its not in the discussion but I still play Maximum Carnage, such a great game.

Damn, I wish I hadn't sold that stuff years ago.

That game was awesome too! I actually beat it once, seemed like it took forever. I liked to spin the guys like a pizza. Lol.

3DS Friend Code: 2492-4618-0670 Always looking for new Pokemon!

Get free stuff with my Swagbucks Referral Link: http://swagbucks.com/refer/cookieparty

#2137 Obiwan456

Obiwan456

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:13 AM

Hmm, I might have to try it out. Was kind of thinking of playing some of these for once before selling them. But my backlog is so big and I have so many hours scheduled at work how can I fit it in.....

#2138 Bing147

Bing147

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:14 AM

Lets all be honest here, who else skipped lunch to buy things they really wanted? I know I did! It would have definitely been worth it if the items were JRPGs! My mom would have been horrified probably if she found out about it when I was doing it but fortunately I didn't tell until many years after the fact (though the items I was buying were not video games).

Come to think of it kids over here get free lunches and breakfast now, so there will be no money collecting for them.. they won't be going hungry but they are at a serious disadvantage if they want to save money to get something.

My parents gave me $12.00 a week for lunch. Most lunches were either $1.85 or $2.00. There were cheaper items though, I could get fries for $1.00. Or an ice cream cone for $00.25. It was pretty common for me to just get an ice cream cone, or just grab some fries even on the days I did eat lunch. I probably averaged spending about $6.00 or $7.00 a week. Some weeks less though, some weeks I spent just a couple of bucks if I wanted to buy something. I could get greatest hits games for $20.00 so two weeks of not eating much did the trick.
www.vg-force.com

#2139 Kovorkian

Kovorkian

Judoka on a CAG Hiatus due to new job

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:25 AM

That's a little bit better than what my parents have to do since they started it every August my dad complains because its $600 in one lump sum in August. Says its easier to pay the $3.75 a day then $600 at once. Funny too because I'm only 10 years older than my sister and when I was in the same High School lunches were $1.90. Almost doubled in price in 7 years.

9th grade lunch was 1.35 4 years later 1.75 / 1.80 no idea what it is now >.>

Tradelist   (mostly Nintendo / Sony)  

May DealSeeker continue to guide us through dark voids, lead us not into tempting terrible deals, and deliver us from EA.

gallery_474050_8161_75125.jpg

Designed by Lilchiji

#2140 Bing147

Bing147

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:27 AM

Yeah I was given money in these sorts of situations, being on the honor roll in high school I got quite a bit of money, though most of my friends got a lot more. I wish I was the under-performing kid who was offered $300 for bringing his average up to an 80. I had an average of 91 in high school and I was given $50 for that! If I knew what I knew now and knew that my parents were the bribing type I would have purposely underperformed in the beginning then quickly brought my grades up in order to get the rewards... but then again I don't know if that would have actually worked.

What I mean by spoilage now is that parents will buy their kids anything and everything on a whim, not just for doing something good, kid says they want an iPod, they get one, kid says they want a toy in a store, they get it, no questions asked, there is no waiting for birthday or Xmas in order to get a gift since all they have to do is say the word and the item is handed to them.

Feel fortunate, my parents didn't believe in paying for grades (neither do I for that matter... but ya). It was my education and my job to get good grades, my reward was the education is what they always said.

I got my money in four ways:

1. As previously mentioned, saving out of my lunch money.
2. Off and on when we could afford it I'd get an allowance. We couldn't afford it consistently though. I got $5.00 a week when we could afford it, but it was well under 50% of the time.
3. Working for my land lord. He had a set of green houses and I'd work there when he needed extra help after school or on the weekends. It wasn't consistent, but by high school I could often pick up an extra $40.00 once or twice a month when it was in season.
4. Summer job, I corn detassled in the summer. I usually made around $700.00 a summer. It was usually gone three months later, mostly on games, lol.

I usually also got one game for my birthday and one for christmas (sometimes I could pull one handheld game and one console game for Christmas) though there was also usually around $50.00 in Christmas money (including gift cards) and by high school when my parents stopped giving birthday presents and just started giving cash ($100.00) I usually got a total of around $225.00 for my birthday.

Between it all, I got my fair share of games, lol. Plus, I was not trade in averse to get more (though I kept a lot). Plus I worked for a game website all through high school. When that started, I started getting around 5 review games a week (which when they were often crap got traded in).
www.vg-force.com

#2141 Obiwan456

Obiwan456

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:00 AM

I never got an allowance or had lunch money to save up and my parents don't do birthdays or christmas, but I did pretty great. Because my dad has been going to garage sales since I was 4.that's how I got a lot of my games. I had ps1, n64, genesis, snes(but not a lot of games, cause they werent that common back then), xbox and got a new game every week about. Then eventually I sold all my old games and other stuff in a yard sale, and used that money to buy a ps2 and some games, and then cycled through trading for new used games Until about 3 years ago when I took the cash I had on me and started going to garage sales myself and buying stuff to flip.

#2142 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:50 AM

I got a job at age 16. Before that I had a $4/week allowance. No pay for good grades even though I was on the deans list (3.79+/4.0 GPA). I ran a little Caesars (yes at age 16) and I would occasionally (in the mornings when it was slow) take the phones off the hook, lock it up and go to the arcade down the street for a hour with my friend who also worked there. That is one of the few bad things I had done as a teen. I live a boring life. :lol:

EDIT: I went to gsales as a child with my parents and as soon as I could drive, I started to go with my friends.

#2143 Bing147

Bing147

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:15 AM

I hit a few garage sales with my grandma growing up but the only game related find I remember finding was my old intellivision with 20 or so games for 4.00.
www.vg-force.com

#2144 Obiwan456

Obiwan456

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:52 AM

I got a job at 16 too....which was actually about 4 months ago. Really helping out with game buying. But most of the money is going into savings. I'd tell you what my job is but I don't think anyone would believe me.

#2145 TheHelix

TheHelix

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:24 AM

I got a job at 16 too....which was actually about 4 months ago. Really helping out with game buying. But most of the money is going into savings. I'd tell you what my job is but I don't think anyone would believe me.

You're a Jedi Knight, I know your secret.

#2146 Obiwan456

Obiwan456

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:28 AM

You're a Jedi Knight, I know your secret.

...wow, it has been so long since I paid attention to my username on here that I had no idea what you were talking about for a minute. Though seriously, I have the most atypical job for a 17 year old guy to have.

#2147 Olengie

Olengie

Rise is Best Girl.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:34 AM

Being a Jedi Knight makes bank man. ;] That would be my dream job.

gallery_349297_8234_6637.jpg

Designed By Lilchiji

Spoiler

Spoiler

#2148 chapnis

chapnis

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:39 AM

...wow, it has been so long since I paid attention to my username on here that I had no idea what you were talking about for a minute. Though seriously, I have the most atypical job for a 17 year old guy to have.

You gotta tell us now!

#2149 Obiwan456

Obiwan456

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:47 AM

I....sell women's clothing to middle aged business women. Over the phone at a call center. And I'm really, really good at it.

#2150 Olengie

Olengie

Rise is Best Girl.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:48 AM

Well. Who couldn't resist Force Mind Trick? Plus Obi Wans voice? :]

Kudos to you my good sir.

gallery_349297_8234_6637.jpg

Designed By Lilchiji

Spoiler

Spoiler

#2151 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:16 AM

I....sell women's clothing to middle aged business women. Over the phone at a call center. And I'm really, really good at it.

I guess you can use the Force over the phone. Learn something new every day.

#2152 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

He wears a disguise to look like human guys.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:00 AM

I don't see what's so strange about that. I thought you were going to say that you're a fluffer or gumologist or some such.

#2153 Bing147

Bing147

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:17 PM

I work in a call center too. Though i am in customer service and not sales (though i do sell some). Luckily i got off the phones and into internet response. The level of crazy is actually higher but easier to take in writing.
www.vg-force.com

#2154 TheHelix

TheHelix

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:42 PM

*waves hand*

These aren't the purple plaid capris you're looking for.

#2155 robwhois

robwhois

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:16 PM

I never got an allowance either, but I started mowing lawns, raking leaves, and snow shoveling when i was 13 with another one of my friends.
We had a constant 6-8 houses every season that would give us jobs, so I always had some money as a kid. Started working at 17 at Boston Market(Boston Chicken at the time). Minimum wage was like 5 something if i remember right back then (1997). I thought that was great money back then, although my car smelled like chicken all the time, even for like 2 months after I quit that job...

#2156 Obiwan456

Obiwan456

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:21 PM

lol

and idk, I guess i've always found it strange that I ended up doing women's clothing. But I like the job enough

#2157 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:44 PM

Better than selling women's shoes, we know what that leads to.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#2158 Obiwan456

Obiwan456

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:45 PM

i actually have no idea what that leads to, those i do sell those too.

#2159 xtreme_Zr2

xtreme_Zr2

Mr. Sonny Crockett

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:51 PM

Ain't no shame in working for a paycheck, no matter what you are doing.

Just curious though, is this magazine based where women calling you already knowing what they want and you upsell them, etc. Or are you cold calling women asking them if their deadbeat husbands have bought them a snuggie yet?

Either way, sales takes talent.

#2160 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:07 PM

i actually have no idea what that leads to, those i do sell those too.

Posted Image
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift