Official 2012 Yard Sale Thread

• Please log in to reply
2495 replies to this topic

#2161 Obiwan456

Obiwan456

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:30 PM

Yes, it is catalog based, where most women call in knowing what they want and I upsell specific item. It's all inbound.

Thing is though, it's starting to get busy because of the holiday season, and now I'm starting 50 hour a week shifts and working on my regular days off, which kinda sucks. I just hope I don't get to more than 50.

#2162 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:18 PM

That's a little bit better than what my parents have to do since they started it every August my dad complains because its $600 in one lump sum in August. Says its easier to pay the $3.75 a day then $600 at once. Funny too because I'm only 10 years older than my sister and when I was in the same High School lunches were $1.90. Almost doubled in price in 7 years.

Really off topic but:

For $3.75 a day it better be a gourmet meal! You don't have the option to brown bag it, because for that cost I think you could save a ton if you brown bagged it. High school lunch from 1995-1999 was 1.35 for the whole lunch. Our food was GOOD homemade food (the pizza was amazing, and home-made by the cafeteria ladies), until senior year when they started giving us the frozen processed foods, which almost no one bought, and if they did buy it, they weren't eating it. There was still the option to bring your own lunch in a bag. I don't know what happened after that. But I learned to like a lot of different foods from high school lunches. I still make tuna macaroni salad just the way our high school did (though I don't serve it with an ice cream scoop like they did)!

Another oddity was we were REQUIRED to take a milk if we bought school lunch, no other options were offered, not even water, it had to be milk and it had to be on our tray. They did have every kind of milk, including chocolate though. A lot of milk got wasted because of this. We had choices for the other options, we didn't have to take vegetables, so at least there weren't a lot of those wasted, but they were available if you wanted them and didn't cost extra, and you could get just a sandwich, or the hot sandwich of the day which was $1.

The cost and options boggle my mind. I went to 2 different grade schools, both did not have cafeteria's equipped with cooking equipment, and did not serve hot lunches. We were required to brown bag it. The food brought was not monitored in any way, you could bring anything. The only hot food we ever saw was if we were good we got a pizza party once or twice a year. There was no fridge to keep our food in so we had to bring something that would hold all day. They had a fridge to keep the milk in, if you wanted milk you paid something like $3 a month and you got a milk every day for the whole month. At least the milk didn't come in glass bottles like it did when my uncle was in school, it was in a paper container. My first grade school didn't offer milk, you had to bring a drink in a thermos, the milk thing didn't even happen till I got to my second grade school. I ate peanut butter and jelly every single day up until high school, and I still eat it today though I make it with low sugar jelly, real peanut butter and non-processed bread of some sort. I didn't even know there was the option to buy your lunch at any school until we got to high school. Apparently now everyone gets their lunches hot from the cafeteria right from kindergarten and I have heard that some schools even require the children to eat the cafeteria food and they aren't allowed to brown bag it. I am not sure if my situation is unique but this is the way it was for me.

#2163 beard.

beard.

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:40 PM

so many words

#2164 Kovorkian

Kovorkian

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:43 PM

Really off topic but:

-snip- Our food was GOOD homemade food (the pizza was amazing, and home-made by the cafeteria ladies), until senior year when they started giving us the frozen processed foods, -snip-

high school food was good 9th grade was horrid 12th grade tacos went from ground beef that you would make at home to a greasy pool of grease with beef particles, as well as 12th grade they served "mozzarella sticks" that were filled with you couldn't have guessed CHEDDAR!

Tradelist   (Nintendo / Sony)  (Disclaimer for Paypal:  I will not send gift payment as this is a violation of  both CAG and Paypal ToS, Rules, UA et cetera, nor will I cover the fees, unless it is one  of Paypal's exceptions {e.g. Repayment of a purchase made for me.})

May DealSeeker continue to guide us through dark voids, lead us not into tempting terrible deals, and deliver us from EA.

gallery_474050_8161_75125.jpg

Designed by Lilchiji

#2165 pulsar0510

pulsar0510

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:49 PM

Just scored at a church rummage sale:
Commdore 64, complete in box
Vic 20, complete in box.
25 cents each.
These things have the manuals, cords, everything. Pretty cool find, although they are nearly useless beyond the collection factor.

#2166 schultzed

schultzed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:48 PM

Just scored at a church rummage sale:
Commdore 64, complete in box
Vic 20, complete in box.
25 cents each.
These things have the manuals, cords, everything. Pretty cool find, although they are nearly useless beyond the collection factor.

Very cool.

There is some value:
http://www.amazon.co...ds=commodore 64

#2167 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:37 PM

high school food was good 9th grade was horrid 12th grade tacos went from ground beef that you would make at home to a greasy pool of grease with beef particles, as well as 12th grade they served "mozzarella sticks" that were filled with you couldn't have guessed CHEDDAR!

Exactly what happened here, except I had about 3 1/2 years of good food before the crap was brought in. The taco's were small prepacked tacos swimming in a pool of grease just as you say. Probably one of the most disgusting items of food I ever ate in my life. Previously to this the taco's were served with real meat and they actually looked like a taco, I am not sure what the frozen ones looked like, but they weren't tacos.. The frozen pizza was world's different than the previously home-made pizza that was served. We didn't get mozzarella sticks, but we did get chicken wings once a month or so, they were actually good.

#2168 jman2avatar

jman2avatar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:16 PM

Someone posted a sale that includes snes games, but didn't post the time. Do you guys think that this a fake yard sale. BTW he posted pictures, but I'm still suspicious.

#2169 RabbitSuit

RabbitSuit

CAG Newbie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:53 PM

Someone posted a sale that includes snes games, but didn't post the time. Do you guys think that this a fake yard sale. BTW he posted pictures, but I'm still suspicious.

...There are fake yard sales?

Yes! I am in a signature! :applause:

#2170 Kovorkian

Kovorkian

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:00 PM

To quote an old book of which the title i have forgotten "Other people are hell"

Tradelist   (Nintendo / Sony)  (Disclaimer for Paypal:  I will not send gift payment as this is a violation of  both CAG and Paypal ToS, Rules, UA et cetera, nor will I cover the fees, unless it is one  of Paypal's exceptions {e.g. Repayment of a purchase made for me.})

May DealSeeker continue to guide us through dark voids, lead us not into tempting terrible deals, and deliver us from EA.

Designed by Lilchiji

#2171 jman2avatar

jman2avatar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:01 PM

NVM, he posted the time.

#2172 Kovorkian

Kovorkian

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:32 PM

NVM, he posted the time.

curious as to where you are looking up yardsales, CL?

Designed by Lilchiji

#2173 robwhois

robwhois

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:34 PM

Yup, fell for one of the fake ones listed earlier today. Post said it had
nes, snes, genesis and other systems and games. Was supposed to be at
10am, went there right before 10, and nothing was set up, no signs, no anything. Unfortunately some people get their jollies on posting fake ads and having people go to random houses for no reason. I wonder if they sit there, by these houses, and watch all the shmucks like me pull up to these random houses, and just laugh at us as we all pull away pissed....

#2174 LilPaintballer

LilPaintballer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:48 PM

Yup, fell for one of the fake ones listed earlier today. Post said it had
nes, snes, genesis and other systems and games. Was supposed to be at
10am, went there right before 10, and nothing was set up, no signs, no anything. Unfortunately some people get their jollies on posting fake ads and having people go to random houses for no reason. I wonder if they sit there, by these houses, and watch all the shmucks like me pull up to these random houses, and just laugh at us as we all pull away pissed....

I think they do it to pull people away from sales they plan on going to.

#2175 RabbitSuit

RabbitSuit

CAG Newbie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:05 PM

That's an interesting and new level of pathetic.

Yes! I am in a signature! :applause:

#2176 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:25 PM

Once again, after this thread I will never believe another craigslist ad, as the fake sale seems to be a very popular tactic these days, though if a sale sounds too good to be true it probably is.

#2177 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

He wears a disguise to look like human guys.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:57 PM

That's an interesting and new level of pathetic.

Interesting? Perhaps. New? Not at all.

#2178 crows in black

crows in black

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:06 PM

I am to the point where I don't even use CL anymore because anyone going thru the trouble of posting on there is almost always going to think they are sitting on gold and charging ebay prices. The only time you will find good stuff for yard sale prices is by going to community sales or finding ones that just say something vague like "video games" . if someone actually refers to it as an "nes" or "snes" then its a reseller. if someone has like 5 different systems (sega, nes, snes, atari, etc) then its a reseller. You are better off just doing it pre-internet style

#2179 Indigo_Streetlight

Indigo_Streetlight

East Coast Scum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:54 PM

Just don't majorly deviate from your route unless you have a good reason. If the ad is right in your backyard or is otherwise quick and convenient to get to = always worth checking.
The Asylum leads the eyes of those pursued by gaming madness...

#2180 robwhois

robwhois

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:17 AM

The only good thing i could say at least was that it was really close to my job, oh and that it put me near a Savers I usually don't visit often, and I found some good thomas the train stuff that I can flip to make my gas money back and then some...

#2181 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:13 AM

I am to the point where I don't even use CL anymore because anyone going thru the trouble of posting on there is almost always going to think they are sitting on gold and charging ebay prices. The only time you will find good stuff for yard sale prices is by going to community sales or finding ones that just say something vague like "video games" . if someone actually refers to it as an "nes" or "snes" then its a reseller. if someone has like 5 different systems (sega, nes, snes, atari, etc) then its a reseller. You are better off just doing it pre-internet style

I seem to find the best stuff, most well priced, in general at small, hole in the wall unadvertised sales. If someone is putting it on CL I agree with you they are looking for the most for their money and they already know about the online market. Therefore I won't waste my time with CL as it will take away time I could be spending at the smaller sales that have a generic ad and could contain anything as I have a limited amount of time to work with. In general though, the people that have high prices for whatever reason won't sell a thing or will sell very little, so I have the satisfaction of at least knowing these people will have to haul it back into their house or find a way to dispose of it otherwise if they have high prices and the stuff is not moving as I have seen enough to know that pretty much no one in my area is a sucker and they simply won't pay the prices. Yes I am sure there are people who purchase an overpriced item here and there but I am saying if you have $20 and $50 on worthless junk, its not gonna sell.

There are games at sales that don't advertise games, even if the sale is already advertised, and that is where most of the finds are.

But yeah if its close by and on your route go ahead and check it out, it never hurts to try, but I wouldn't go 20-30 min out of my way for a specific CL posting.

#2182 jman2avatar

jman2avatar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:51 AM

I think that the person having the yard sale won't be a re seller because he is moving to another state and has other items for sale besides video games. He even posted pictures and has a cell phone number on the listing, so I think that he is legit.

#2183 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:52 AM

He even posted pictures and has a cell phone number on the listing

This means people have already called him and picked out the good stuff.

#2184 jman2avatar

jman2avatar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:07 AM

I was one of those callers. He only said that the sale starts at 9 o'clock, so hopefully he didn't let anybody buy the stuff early otherwise I'm going to be pissed.

#2185 Olengie

Olengie

Minato Arisato is the Messiah

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:12 AM

Saw an Ad that said Nintendo, Atari, Sega, and Playstation. I pray that no one called them. Hopefully, I get there at the time and not have a lot of competition. They did say no early birds so. :/

Luckily, I might get a very good deal in the end.

gallery_349297_8234_6637.jpg

Designed By Lilchiji

Spoiler

Spoiler

#2186 crows in black

crows in black

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:18 AM

actually most people here ARE stupid enough to pay ebay prices and higher. Theres been a million times that I've been at a sale, found older games, and as soon as I say "no thanks" because of the retarded price, some frat guy douche or a wigger will run up and say "omg daaayum I remember this shit, like, all super mario brothers and shit! ah man this shit is OLD SCHOOL! awww shit dawg, I used to have one of these!" and then they pay $100 for an NES with mario/duck hunt

#2187 crows in black

crows in black

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:42 AM

Saw a sale advertised with old video games and its on my way to work so I figured i would stop by. Its starts at 7am I got here at 6:15am.....there was already one guy sitting on the sidewalk waiting and two others waiting in their cars....its still pitch black outside. Goddamn I hate this place

#2188 Dokstarr

Dokstarr

Tap, Snap or Nap

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:48 AM

I woke up this morning at 5:30 and decided it would be a good day to go since I was already awake. Took a shower got dressed and I just looked out and forgot it is still dark. I guess I will be putting it off until the sun comes up so I can see the posters on the poles.

#2189 killercane

killercane

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:22 PM

F yard sales. Get up at 645 and go to one down the street at 7 advertising videogames. They have 2! overpriced 360 games, and a bunch of legos all put together. So I ask how much on the AT TE walker and the mid20s mouthbreather son says twofifty, so I whip out three bucks and he says two HUNDRED and fifty. So I laugh and say you know this is a garage sale? Guy gets pissed, grumbling about limited edition collectors set and complaining to his MOM.

So I look it up and it is 280 new on amazon. 150 used. Seriously sell the shite on ebay not your yard sale if you really want to sell it.

#2190 SnesGuy

SnesGuy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:38 PM

Was planning on hittin some sales today, check the papers website... nothing, check my local B/S/T page, one advertised.

What the hell! last month when it was still 90f at 6am there were 6+ sales a day. It cools off, nothing. Damn desert rats >_<