Potatoeman

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:03 AM

Wow, very nice man!

#212 Chronis

Chronis

Hey, I just met you

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:13 AM

He went inside and brought out Fire Emblem and Tales of Symphonia. His wife then mentioned that she was still playing ToS, but I pried it away from her by offering her a whopping $10 bill for it.

At first I LOL'd. Then I felt sad for that lady. But then I LOL'd again.

11317.png

#213 Neuropod

Neuropod

Fine work, skeleton!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:54 AM

Not to take anything away from your haul because really, it is a great one, but I bet you could've gotten away with asking for a package deal of 25-50% less. In my experience people (for whatever reason) love doing that. I've done it dozens of times and there were only like two occasions where it didn't work.

But again, nice score. You could easily cover the cost with just a couple of the games, like FIFA 12 or MW3.
76561197996844513.png

#214 Allwhowander

Allwhowander

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:04 AM

I had a pretty good day on Friday.

Posted Image

This was the first sale I went to. I paid $2 for the games and $5 for the 360. The guy said he purchased it at an auction and didn't know if it worked. It's in pretty rough shape, so I really doubt it does. But for $5, I couldn't pass it up.

Posted Image

$25 for the bundle. It was a little more than I wanted to pay, but Mario Kart and Star Fox will help me make my money back. The other games are Championship Pool, Super Mario World (2x), Batman Forever, NFL Quarterback Club and The Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse.

Posted Image

Super Mario Bros. Deluxe was $1 and the SNES games were $1 total. I've been on the lookout for DOOM for a while, so I was happy to see that one.

Posted Image

The lady was asking $20 for the Xbox, but she accepted $15. There was a third controller, but the cord was frayed so I tossed it. My original Xbox finally bit the dust just last week, so this was a welcome find.

#215 Floopy

Floopy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:38 AM

Not to take anything away from your haul because really, it is a great one, but I bet you could've gotten away with asking for a package deal of 25-50% less. In my experience people (for whatever reason) love doing that. I've done it dozens of times and there were only like two occasions where it didn't work.

But again, nice score. You could easily cover the cost with just a couple of the games, like FIFA 12 or MW3.

I know what you are saying, but my first instinct was to buy everything in sight first, and ask questions later (rule #1 of yardsaling). The stuff was coming out of the house in waves, so it also wasn't all there at once. There were 16 games in the first purchase, and I originally offered $25 for all of them (remember, they were current gen at $2 each) and he actually denied my offer and said best he could do was $30, since "they still have some trade in value at Gamestop." I thought to myself "yep, they sure do, and for a lot more than $30 collectively, too." When the second round of stuff came out, there were a couple of other shoppers hovering, so I quickly bought everything again before they had a chance to shop the selection.

But yes, you are right, normally I could have done everything for a few dollars less with bundling. I normally do negotiate, but this guy didn't want to, and I didn't want to lose my haul so I bought everything in sight ASAP without a fuss.

I also wanted to remind everyone to eat some yard sale cookies/drinks made by kids; it's good karma. I paid 50 cents at my first sale for a cookie and a drink, and the next sale didn't let me down.

$25 for the bundle. It was a little more than I wanted to pay, but Mario Kart and Star Fox will help me make my money back. The other games are Championship Pool, Super Mario World (2x), Batman Forever, NFL Quarterback Club and The Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse.

You did great with the SNES. They are hard to find, and even harder to find in clean, complete condition. I'd have went was high as $30 to $35 on your bundle, so $25 was good.

And let us know if that Xbox 360 works...$5 is just funny.

Edited by Floopy, 08 April 2012 - 10:50 AM.

#216 coleridge

coleridge

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:11 PM

Went out to a yardsale yesterday because the ad said there would be games. Got there and there were none. I asked if they would be putting them out, but the guy running it said he had them in storage and wasn't able to get to them for the sale.

Anyway, down the street from him I happened upon a sale as the guy was setting up. I found the stuff below there for $40. I should work on my CAGing, but I thought it was a fair deal.
Posted Image

#217 Bing147

Bing147

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:21 PM

Nah, this sale was in Conyers.

Cool, the one in Alpharetta from the wording ("Vintage") I figured would be overpriced but I see a lot of the same games they had in their pictures in yours and thought the worst, lol.
www.vg-force.com

#218 Armadillo Meat

Armadillo Meat

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:18 PM

Not much this weekend.

Posted Image

Sure, they aren't first party and the Amazon reviews say that they're absolutely awful but they're unique and the price was right: 50 cents for both.

#219 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:45 PM

I pryed a ToS Gamecube from a fleamarket vendor here but unfortunately it doesn't work (I got it in a trade), however I can take it back and exchange it for something else but I don't think I will find anything that would match finding ToS at that booth.

#220 Indigo_Streetlight

Indigo_Streetlight

East Coast Scum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:31 PM

I pryed a ToS Gamecube from a fleamarket vendor here but unfortunately it doesn't work (I got it in a trade), however I can take it back and exchange it for something else but I don't think I will find anything that would match finding ToS at that booth.

Would it be worth keeping the shell and switching out the guts? It seems weird that an NTSC-J LE import would just crap out like that.
The Asylum leads the eyes of those pursued by gaming madness...

#221 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

Not much this weekend. I think there were 3 sales.

The lady wanted $2 per game and $1 for the comic, paid $4 total.

Posted Image

#222 Josh5890

Josh5890

For AC New Leaf 3DS- 3110-4025-7228

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:17 PM

^Slowdive. Nice pick up

I need a new signature.

#223 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:17 PM

Would it be worth keeping the shell and switching out the guts? It seems weird that an NTSC-J LE import would just crap out like that.

Its just the regular version of ToS game, not an actual gamecube. This vendor also prints their artwork for the cases so its not worth saving the case.

#224 Montymonster

Montymonster

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:33 PM

Heading to my first few sales tomorrow! I read through the tips on the first page, anyone have other random wisdom they'd be gracious enough to give to a noobie? :p

#225 Potatoeman

Potatoeman

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:17 PM

If they look like they're old or have grand-kids, or if they have older looking stuff/computers, don't be afraid to ask if they have some old video game stuff. I've had a couple of good finds just asking.

#226 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:59 PM

If they look like they're old or have grand-kids, or if they have older looking stuff/computers, don't be afraid to ask if they have some old video game stuff. I've had a couple of good finds just asking.

For me this just ends up confusing the poor old lady trying to sell a few dishes and household items... I have tried it before and decided its not worth my effort to explain to every single old lady what video games are because they honestly don't know what video games are at all. But if they had other toys at the sale that look older then it would be ok to ask, but don't ask if there are no signs of kids at all.

#227 Potatoeman

Potatoeman

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:05 PM

Yeah, I didn't mean to just ask everyone, but if they have electronics or have an old place it doesn't hurt to ask. If they don't know what you're talking about just leave and go on.

I've never had someone not know what video games were at all though, so I can't comment. Everyone I've asked has said no or let me go check for the most part

#228 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:01 AM

Yeah, I didn't mean to just ask everyone, but if they have electronics or have an old place it doesn't hurt to ask. If they don't know what you're talking about just leave and go on.

I've never had someone not know what video games were at all though, so I can't comment. Everyone I've asked has said no or let me go check for the most part

My area is pretty unique, we have a ton of old people who hold yard sales to get rid of crap around the house, these people are still using CRT TV's, VCR's, basic cable and have no internet access and probably visit the electronics department of walmart once a year to buy batteries for their remote control if they even know how to install them. They probably think the internet and cell phones are some newfangled gadgets invented to get teenagers in trouble or something to that effect. So its quite likely, that they genuinely do not know what video games are and believe it or not I have had people ask me what video games are. I have actually had middle age men ask me what video games are as well... odd but true. Sometimes its just not worth the effort.. if ya know what I mean...

#229 Potatoeman

Potatoeman

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:28 PM

Very weird find today, but good!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Bought both from the same couple for $50 total. They asked $125 for it and I said no way, I was thinking $20 or so. The couple were pretty cool though, and they even hooked it up and showed me that it worked, etc.

#230 kube00

kube00

Grammar Hammer!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:12 PM

Potatoe that first pic is a steel battalion controller for xbox nice find.

#231 Potatoeman

Potatoeman

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:41 PM

Yeah, they had it set up really cool with a projector. Looked online and saw how great a deal I got. Only problem is there's no way I'll play it and shipping it out will be a hassle. Still, it was too cool to pass up.

The N64 controller is just a bonus; I can't really find much info about it except one post on ebay which didn't sell.

#232 Montymonster

Montymonster

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:44 PM

Man, I would kill to find one of those Steel Battalion things. Sweet find!

So I have another noobish question, for all you experts. One of the sales I've found listed online doesn't have a start time listed. This is the sale I want to hit the most, because they specifically advertised having video games. Anyone have a rough guesstimate on what time yard sales generally start?

#233 Potatoeman

Potatoeman

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:16 AM

anywhere from 7-10 usually. It varies wildly. If it was a craigslist ad, just email the person and see if they respond. Almost everyone I email on craigslist has responded, which is nuts because I thought no one ever checked their email religiously but myself

If you can't get in contact.. well.. either risk it and show up at 8, or get there by 7 and wait for them to set up or something. Some people hate early birds(people who arrive before the sale is scheduled to begin), and some people welcome them. Your best bet is simply asking, imo.

#234 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:45 AM

Potatoe that first pic is a steel battalion controller for xbox nice find.

Yup!

Here is a pic if anyone wants to see an almost complete version (missing the 8 by 10 manual).

http://s298.photobuc.../7-16-11/set 4/

Shameless plug ;)

I went to one sale today advertising games. I saw some $40 xbox 360 games. One was a Halo/Forza 2 pack. they did have a gta double pack for $10, but I couldn't remember if that was the valuable one or not, so I left it.

#235 Potatoeman

Potatoeman

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:22 AM

I knew it had a big box! I asked the couple if they had it and they didn't seem to know what I was talking about so I dropped the subject. Still, it's in pretty good shape so I'm happy!

Edit: I've got a great surprise to show tomorrow! I think you guys will like what I found ;)

#236 Montymonster

Montymonster

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

I completely stuck out with video games today. I went to 5 sales, all I saw was an original Xbox priced at $100 at one, and some $10 Gamecube sports games at another.

However, I did find this pretty sick looking typewriter for $10 bucks. Felt like I couldn't pass it up. Anyone know anything about typewriters? (Pictures in the spoiler).

Spoiler

#237 Dark Rider

Dark Rider

Looks Dashing

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:06 PM

Well, the weather warmed up and there were sales everywhere.

My only success was at and older woman's sale, where she had bundles of old gaming "junk".

I bought:
Gamecube [All cords] w/ 1 Controller (Works!)
Sonic Battle 2 and Spyro (Dream World?) for the Gamecube. (Disk only)
Xbox 360 Controller and Ps3 Controller w/ charger
Two Wireless Ps2 controllers
Pokemon Snaps cart only
Two Bluetooth Headsets for the Ps3
And an Action Replay for the DS

All for $5.50

It was all in rough shape, but I was pretty happy with my day.

#238 Potatoeman

Potatoeman

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:15 PM

Did a little bit of looking around online and it seems pricing varies a lot for typewriters Monty. I can't tell which one you have since there are a lot of different models, but it looks like $10 was a safe bet either way, especially if you want to have it around as an antique or to put somewhere in your house.

#239 ROB64

ROB64

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:07 PM

Today's finds:
Rayman
NFL Blitz
Test Drive 4
Test Drive Off Road 2
007 The World is Not Enough
^^ (all for PS1) $1 for the lot

2x Casiotone MT-36 keyboards - $4

Beatles Revolution and The Nightmare Before Christmas posters - free
Posted Image

#240 Montymonster

Montymonster

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:23 PM

Did a little bit of looking around online and it seems pricing varies a lot for typewriters Monty. I can't tell which one you have since there are a lot of different models, but it looks like $10 was a safe bet either way, especially if you want to have it around as an antique or to put somewhere in your house.

Thanks for the information! A friend of mine collects typewriters, and he said I might get ~200 bucks for it. Not a bad pick up at all! Think I might hang on to it though, it is pretty cool looking.