Official 2012 Yard Sale Thread

• Please log in to reply
2495 replies to this topic

#2371 crows in black

crows in black

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:29 AM

I was told today multiple times, too late, just sold them (like always). One person told me the guy who bought their stuff was 15min ahead of me, then another guy told me 2 hours ahead of me so eh, dont know.
I went 45 min before start.

45 minutes isn't even early enough to beat the resellers anymore. It used to be that you could just show up 10 minutes early and beat them, but now they show up as early as 1 or 2 hours before a sale starts....and thats if they haven't already called or emailed days before and already bought everything. My mom had a yard sale from Thurs-Sun and she told me all these flea market sellers were knocking on her door at 5:00am Thursday morning and there were tons of them in cargo vans parked outside her house all morning and 5 different guys would run up to her the second she opened the garage door! And she didn't even post on CL, she just put a sign up the day before on the street corner. What is even worse is when you actually see the person buying the games so you know what you missed. Once I saw a stack of uncommon SNES games and as I picked them up, some fat old crotchety guy in overalls yells at me "EXCUSE ME SON I ALREADY DONE BOUGHT THEM NINTENDO TAPES!"

#2372 Olengie

Olengie

Minato Arisato is the Messiah

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:39 AM

It's truly a shame

gallery_349297_8234_6637.jpg

Designed By Lilchiji

Spoiler

Spoiler

#2373 schultzed

schultzed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:43 AM

I was told today multiple times, too late, just sold them (like always). One person told me the guy who bought their stuff was 15min ahead of me, then another guy told me 2 hours ahead of me so eh, dont know.
I went 45 min before start.

The tough part about buying video games is that there may be multiple people in your area hunting for them. And they might range from resellers, to people like yourself, to hoarders, and moms or grandmas who'll buy anything because they've been told to be on the lookout. I find it to be really bad at a community or subdivision sale because if you start at the wrong end . . . you'll miss the good stuff at the other end.

#2374 Otherguy676

Otherguy676

Grand Pawn Shop Champ!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:10 PM

Some finds today

- a box of about 500 pokemon cards (no holos) - $2
- A large Budweiser King of Beers Marquee - $3
- A Snes w/ wires and controllers, with games - $10
games are DKC, Super Mario All Stars, Zelda LTTP, Carmen San Diego, Madden 97, a ripped up
Street Fighter 2, Top Gear 2, and a long box complete PS1 Wipeout
- Invader Zim vol 1 - $1
- Hercules DVD and Atlantis DVD for $2.60 total
- Polar Express DVD - $1
- Killzone 3 ps3 complete - $4
- Bumblebee Reveal the shield transformer, NIB - $3
- Demolisher transformer armada - .50
- Optimus Prime Armada (missing chest plate) - .50
- Black Label Castlevanie SOTM (with DC DOA2 disc only) - $2
- Star Wars KOTR missing manual - $1
- XBX GTA double pack complete - $2
- 100 yugioh cards (with several holos) - $1
My games list, Just hit 1000!!!
http://users.ign.com...objType=1&lid=1

My Ebay Auctions - check this out and if you buy something, let me know your a CAG and Ill throw in some free swag (like uncommon cards or various promo items I find lying around)
http://www.ebay.com/...6/m.html?_dmd=1

Trade list
http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=95517
I an have a Sega Saturn Pro Action Replay 4 in 1 for sale, PM me if interested

#2375 schultzed

schultzed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:46 PM

I'm gonna post this right away because I have been negligent lately. Prior to August, I posted 90% of my gaming finds but in the last few weeks I posted almost 0.

So, Saturday starts with 39 degrees . . . damn the season is almost done. Only about 8 new sales on CL and in the paper. My first stop promises 1000s of books (my main objective) . . . so I get to this warehouse at 8am and it is all crap . . . I asked the seller if any other bookseller had gone through it but he says no. Its an estate and I think the reader was a big buyer who stopped buying around 1981 . . . big letdown for me.

So, I drive over to another listed sale and it has nothing good and almost nothing at all . . . why do some people bother when they have so little out? This sale is kinda locked in . . . so only 2 streets will get you there. I came in from the south and left from the south. As I head north along the main street . . . I see a sign on what would be the north entrance and as I blow by it (think it is for the dud sale) I see the word "comics" on it. I'm thinking "wait a minute there wasn't anything like that" and "maybe its another sale." So I do u-turn and sure enough the sign says "video games" too. Lucky I noted the sign because this was one of my better gaming finds.

As I walk up a guy is just leaving with a box of stuff . . . crap . . . but he bought comics (probably got all the good stuff from what I can tell). Other comic buyers later leave empty handed but the one guy got some 60s books. Turns out I know the guy (my daughter was in dance class with his years ago and we used to chat while they were in lessons). I don't see any video games . . . he hadn't brought them out yet. So he brings out 2 boxes with a GC and Xbox (games are $5 each) and I snatch up these:

Posted Image

In retrospect, I kinda messed up because he had a Gamecube system and he wanted $75 for all the GC games and the sys. I left behind 3 games, the sys and a wavebird. I probably could've talked him into $50 for all and basically gotten the WB for free . . . I ended up leaving it behind . . . so maybe someone else was excited to find it.

Then we start talking and it turns out that he has more stuff inside . . . as his wife "mans" the sale we head into the basement. All these pics are from this sale:
Posted Image
PS2 with 2 TV hookups (component and standard) and network adapter, N64 with expansion and Power but no TV hookup, SNES bare . . . said he'll call me if he finds hookups but I might have to just stop by . . . he's about 5 blocks north of me. There are 3 N64 controllers and 5 PS2 ones. (I think it was $20 for the PS2, $10 for the N64, and $5 for the SNES)

He's got a huge selection of NES games but he wants to keep them all . . . makes sense cuz he's 37 and probably cut his teeth on them. He had only a few SNES ones . . . makes me wonder what happened to the rest because he is into RPGs . . . damn this could've been better. I didn't ask him but I bet he traded them in.
Posted Image
Carts were $2 each

Some nice PS1 games:
Posted Image
While he was into RPGs, he didn't have any of the really hot ones :-(

Misc:
Posted Image
Complete copy of Minish Cap! Also I spotted the GCPlayer disc in the basement . . . discovered that the player was on the sys and he sold me both for $5 . . . again I should've offered $50 for the whole thing in the first place but intially is better to pay $45 for the games then to spend $75 on it. Oh well.

I really didn't haggle much because I know (and like) the guy and I was excited to find this stuff. He did shave some off the total. Paid $130 for everything.

Edited by schultzed, 08 October 2012 - 12:17 AM.

#2376 thebytewasbit

thebytewasbit

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:54 PM

I went to a moving sale I found out about on craigslist on Friday. The ad mentioned they had "Nintendo sets". It started at 10 am but I had to be to work at 8. I knew the good stuff would be gone since I didn't make it till my lunch break at 12:30...that is until I found sitting on a table with household items...

A *SEALED* copy of Zelda Majoras Mask Collectors Edition for N64 for $5!!!

The guy said all other Nintendo stuff was gone at the beginning of the sale and had about 10 people ask about it.

LOL those bastards missed out on the best part of the sale. I also picked up a sealed official N64 expansion pack as well as a bag full of Nintendo adapters.

#2377 schultzed

schultzed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:39 PM

LOL those bastards missed out on the best part of the sale.

They might've brought it out later. Who knows what you missed . . .

After my score . . . I found games at 3 of the rest of the sales . . . I was hitting about 50%

These were marked $5 each
Posted Image
Paid $10 for all.

Posted Image
No manuals . . . $1 for the pair.

This sale advertised DS and games and I would've gone there first but I wanted to go to the one with books. Other end of town got there pretty late and didn't see games. I asked about it and she went "oh yeah" and fetched this:
Posted Image
I should've walked away from it but once I get negotiating its hard to break away. Turned out that I know the seller. I paid $40 for all.

#2378 TheHelix

TheHelix

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:56 PM

Scored a nice find this morning:

(PS1) Legend of Dragoon
:360: Enchanted Arms
:xbox: Shenmue II
(PS1) Lunar 2 Eternal Blue Complete
(PS1) Star Ocean 2
:ps2: Romancing Saga
:ps2: Emphemeral Fantasia
:ps2: PTO IV

Guy offered a buck per disc, and the guy was really nice so I didn't haggle, ended up paying $15 total. He had some other JRPG games like Arc the Lad, Wild Arms, Xenosaga, etc. but I might be moving soon so I didn't want to go overboard on the purchases and just went for the ones I really wanted. Unfortunately, all games are disc only except for Enchanted Arms (my second copy I've bought lol) but they are in near mint condition and the guy and his wife were nice enough to give me extra game cases to hold my stuff in. Great day to start the morning.

Update: Holy crap I didn't know PTO IV was rare!

Edited by TheHelix, 07 October 2012 - 06:32 PM.

#2379 Artrigis

Artrigis

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:21 PM

Hey guys, if anyone has some knowledge on this Id appreciate it.
Bought a copy of DKC 2 for myself from a 3rd party seller, changed my mind and now I want to cancel.

What is the defnition of "Shipping Soon" on Amazon? Does that mean that the seller has already purchased a shipping label for the item, or simply that my credit card has been approved?

Id like to cancel, but if the seller has already bought a shipping label he'd have grounds to deduct cost of shipping from my refund, in which case Id rather not cancel.

#2380 schultzed

schultzed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:09 PM

What is the defnition of "Shipping Soon" on Amazon? Does that mean that the seller has already purchased a shipping label for the item, or simply that my credit card has been approved?

Id like to cancel, but if the seller has already bought a shipping label he'd have grounds to deduct cost of shipping from my refund, in which case Id rather not cancel.

The seller probably hasn't purchased the label . . . but even if they have there is 24 hrs. to cancel it.

I'd just send a message and explain the situation. You'd like to cancel if possible.

#2381 Indigo_Streetlight

Indigo_Streetlight

East Coast Scum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:26 PM

PS2 with 2 TV hookups (component and standard) and network adapter, N64 with expansion and Power but no TV hookup, SNES bare . . . said he'll call me if he finds hookups but I might have to just stop by . . . he's about 5 blocks north of me. There are 3 N64 controllers and 5 PS2 ones. (I think it was $20 for the PS2, $10 for the N64, and $5 for the SNES)

If you check back, ask about manuals or strategy guides. Even after trading in their games, some people still have these hanging around.
The Asylum leads the eyes of those pursued by gaming madness...

#2382 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:47 PM

Really nice finds guys! Keep em coming!

(BTW: sorry my pics are so big..photobucket changed something and now they are bigger than before. I don't know how to rescale them unless I can do it in a basic program that comes with Vista.)

#2383 crows in black

crows in black

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:59 PM

Only hit a couple of sales this weekend.

A lady advertised Old nintendo w/games and super nintendo with games. She lived pretty far form me, so I emailed her and asked how much for all of it.

She wanted $170 for the 2 consoles and 33 games. I didn't even bother driving out.

You should email her back now that the sale is over and ask if she still has it. I doubt she sold it for that price and now she might take a reasonable offer. Another trick that usually works for me is when I get crazy prices like that in an email prior to a sale, I will reply with "oh nevermind then, I am not interested in paying ebay prices, sorry". A lot of the time they will reply with "oh I dont know what these are worth, what will you give me?" because they honestly dont know and for some reason they think 100s of dollars is acceptable for a yard sale, if you explain what the actual value is sometimes they will go way down on price. Or it could be they are just insane, or a failed flea market/ebay reseller trying to get run a flea market under the guise of a yard sale, in which case you can just troll them for some lulz!

#2384 schultzed

schultzed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:11 PM

If you check back, ask about manuals or strategy guides. Even after trading in their games, some people still have these hanging around.

Good suggestion . . . I didn't even think about it at the time . . . DOH!

Crows in Black is also making some good points. When I see overpriced videogame stuff at a sale I don't immediately give up. A few weeks ago I spotted a PSP with games . . . but it was marked $50 or $60. It was Saturday at about 11 am. So, I softened her up by buying 2 sealed board games but getting her to go 50% on them. I walked them over to my car and came back and started haggling on it (I pointed out that most of the discs were movies, etc.) . . . the result? I got the PSP for something like $20.

Next year, I'm going to make up some cards that have my cell and email on them. I think it might be worthwhile to tell someone who is overpriced now that you might buy what is left after the sale.

#2385 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:19 PM

Next year, I'm going to make up some cards that have my cell and email on them. I think it might be worthwhile to tell someone who is overpriced now that you might buy what is left after the sale.

I made cards last year when staples has 100 free business cards in store. They come in handy once in a while.

#2386 TheHelix

TheHelix

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:19 AM

Oh I just remembered I found a dead 360 console a couple weeks ago for $15. It looked like a launch/1st gen model because it didn't have an HDMI port in the back. Is it worth it just for parts? I didn't haggle because it was at a fundraiser sale so I just passed on it.

#2387 tuffguycore

tuffguycore

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:23 PM

Oh I just remembered I found a dead 360 console a couple weeks ago for $15. It looked like a launch/1st gen model because it didn't have an HDMI port in the back. Is it worth it just for parts? I didn't haggle because it was at a fundraiser sale so I just passed on it.

Depends, probably not worth a whole lot in general, but since GS is running that extra 100% on trade ins, if you have the wires/controller for it, you can still get like 100 bucks for it even with a refurb fee I think. Might be worth a try.

#2388 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:17 PM

Depends, probably not worth a whole lot in general, but since GS is running that extra 100% on trade ins, if you have the wires/controller for it, you can still get like 100 bucks for it even with a refurb fee I think. Might be worth a try.

Refurb consoles don't get bonuses, and I think GS stopped taking broken 360s.

#2389 tuffguycore

tuffguycore

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:29 PM

Refurb consoles don't get bonuses, and I think GS stopped taking broken 360s.

They don't? Weird, I thought they were. Then disregard my advice haha.

#2390 schultzed

schultzed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:25 AM

This was on 9/26 (Friday). I walked up the driveway and there was nothing of interest at this Grandma and Grandpa sale. I did see a little shelf with some videotapes in the garage and almost missed a little stack marked "DVDs .50 each."
Posted Image
I immediately thought "cool, Mario Kart" . . . and for half a second "but what is LOZ?"
Posted Image

The Mario Kart has the very, very disappointing bonus disc:
Posted Image

I remember when the bonus disc was announced thinking that it would be so cool to have a Mario Kart collection. They could have the SNES and N64 games on it. But alas its just a stupid demo disc.

#2391 burritoman

burritoman

Bounty Hunter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:41 AM

Not trying to be a downer, but:
I got no clue what it's worth for trade at Gamestop, but at my local pawn shop they're selling for like $80...not sure what hard drive, if any, or whatever else you get, but I know that is with a controller and hookups.

Still though, $15 is a good price that you can flip it for at least what you paid for it.

3DS Friend Code: 2492-4618-0670 Always looking for new Pokemon!

#2392 ricktor

ricktor

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:58 AM

i remembered my own unit of this, i've put it on the box for xmas present to the orphanage as an order of my mother.

#2393 ChuckT

ChuckT

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:59 AM

Quick question: does anyone have a reliable website/source for old computer game pricing? I might be picking up two boxes of old computer games, but I am not sure it's worth my time. From what I saw, it was mostly role playing and strategy games from the late floppy disc/early cd era, so I thought there might be some value there.

#2394 mguiddy

mguiddy

'nives 'n 'nades

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:32 AM

Quick question: does anyone have a reliable website/source for old computer game pricing? I might be picking up two boxes of old computer games, but I am not sure it's worth my time. From what I saw, it was mostly role playing and strategy games from the late floppy disc/early cd era, so I thought there might be some value there.

ebay?
If the games are complete in box and it's cheap enough, it's worth it regardless. RPG and Strategy are probably the two best genres in terms of value in old PC games.
make sure you post what you get.

#2395 Indigo_Streetlight

Indigo_Streetlight

East Coast Scum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:27 AM

The market is pretty tough on old pc stuff unless it's sealed or you have some very specific nostalgia-inducing titles (early sierra, a bundle of ultimas, etc). Another difficulty I've found in reselling these is not being able to test them or track down a parts list to determine whether they're complete (I re-donated my uncommon Escape From Hell for this reason, even though the box art was cool it may have been missing floppies and there was no way I could guarantee it as working).
The Asylum leads the eyes of those pursued by gaming madness...

#2396 ChuckT

ChuckT

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:54 AM

The market is pretty tough on old pc stuff unless it's sealed or you have some very specific nostalgia-inducing titles (early sierra, a bundle of ultimas, etc). Another difficulty I've found in reselling these is not being able to test them or track down a parts list to determine whether they're complete (I re-donated my uncommon Escape From Hell for this reason, even though the box art was cool it may have been missing floppies and there was no way I could guarantee it as working).

This is what I figured - I'm going to look through and hopefully cherry pick. Everything was boxed, but I am not sure if they were complete, and I didn't have time to shuffle through them. They're put aside for me, though, so I am going to take some time and dig through them tomorrow.

#2397 schultzed

schultzed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:14 PM

If they are cheap enough, I'd buy a whole lot of old PC games. There are often some surprises in value. Just recently I saw an article about Cliff Bleszinski and his first game (Jazz Jackrabbit) is worth some money but I wouldn't have known it a week ago.

I'd play it as a cherry pick and once a price was arranged . . . I'd lowball for the rest.

Of course, this depends on the quality of the games . . . there are obvious duds.

#2398 TiKi2

TiKi2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:45 PM

Bought these for $8. Looks like I wasted my money. I'll probably just keep the 80's ones and scrap the rest.

Posted Image

#2399 Doomstink

Doomstink

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:48 AM

If they are cheap enough, I'd buy a whole lot of old PC games. There are often some surprises in value. Just recently I saw an article about Cliff Bleszinski and his first game (Jazz Jackrabbit) is worth some money but I wouldn't have known it a week ago.

I'd play it as a cherry pick and once a price was arranged . . . I'd lowball for the rest.

Of course, this depends on the quality of the games . . . there are obvious duds.

Little known secret - you can still order all of Epic's old PC games from http://epicclassics.com/

#2400 Br0keAssGamer

Br0keAssGamer

BrokeAssGamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:45 PM

All I found today was a copy of Metroid Prime for GC with the MP2:Echos demo disc $3. Not a great deal but it's in better shape than mine, has the demo disc, and has a manual so it was worth it.