Thrift Store Thread 2012

Tsel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
328 (100%)
Made the yard sale thread, so I figured I'd make this one while I was at it. Post your thriftin' finds here. As always, pictures are always welcome!

Previous Threads:

Carried over and quoted from the old thread: [quote name='SaraAB']My most expensive item found at a SA in my whole life was a Strawberry shortcake plush doll from the 80's in box that I sold for $80, I paid $2. This doll was not worth that much right away though, when I got home it was going for about $10 on ebay, I had to hold onto it for a whole year and constantly check up on it before I got the $80 for it so there was some work to it. A close second is a lot of Sailor Moon dolls I got that I paid 99 cents each for, I sold the dolls for $60 then I sold 1 single doll from the lot for about $25.
[/QUOTE]

Best plush find I've ever had (and I'm still sitting on it, as the value fluctuates and is currently on a downswing) is an old 1979 Fisher Price bunny security blanket. Just like this one but in yellow, which is the true unisex version and typically goes for more. A yellow one sold a month ago for $120, and was pretty well worn, while the one I picked up (for $.90) is fluffy and like-new.

Funny enough, I've had one of these (in blue) since I was a baby, and I gave it to my daughter when she was born. She still sleeps with it sometimes (and she's 6 now).

I'll post the pictures of my interesting finds when I get home. I'd also ran out of time and am updating my little tips since they are at the end of the 2011 thread.

My Advice and info
-Go during the weekdays about an hour or two after opening. Gives them a chance to restock the shelves and you won't be competing with a bunch of other people on the weekends.
-Take clues from your finds, If you find a system go check the cd's/videos section for the matching games.
-Become friends with the employees, greet them, get some small chat going. I had one girl that would call me whenever any old games would come in. I also would learn about who I was competing with and when they would come in.
-Don't limit yourself to games, learn about other items, watch some pawn stars, american pickers, storage wars etc. yea a lot of it is hyped up for TV. But it helps you become more diverse. I flip jeans, books, toys, instruments, sunglasses, sports/motorcycle gear.
-Don't feel compelled to come home with something if its not your price.
-When you bargain give a reason and state it first, (don't bargain all the time)
-Small items add up, I usually do come home with a few things to flip and it pays for my time. My last trip I spent 2 dollars on a little people 1971 school house and 2 sunglasses cases, about 40 on ebay.
-Printers are a common ejunk item that you will see, often and the newer models, check the date you can pick up the inks dirt cheap and take them to office max/ staples for 3 in store credit.

For game distribution, area has some impact of course, but also cartridge games "are in" and get picked up quickly, for all the ones ive found ive also seen a good number in the hands of people on the way out.

Also disc based games may appear more common because the cases are often sitting around empty or with something else inside

Swung by a local thrift store on Friday and picked up Super Smash Bros. and Mario Kart for the N64 at $5 each. Not great, but that's pretty cheap for my local thrift stores. I'm hoping they'll be more stuff coming into the Thrift Stores in the next few weeks, people cleaning out old stuff after X-Mas

YardSalesPics191.jpg

Went into my local thrift one night last week and found Morrowind (minty complete with map) for $6.90, Mario Kart 64 for $1.90, Spyro (complete) for $.90, and Spyro: YoTD (disc only) for $.90.

Went into my local used bookstore and found some stuff that someone there priced way below market prices. Zelda:Wind Waker (minty complete) for $9, Zelda: TP (near mint complete) for $7, Super Smash n64 for $9, and .hack//mutation (near mint complete) for $9, which is not pictured here because I already flipped it. This store is interesting because most stuff is priced around market value, but someone must price stuff sometimes who doesn't know much about video games, which is why I keep coming back. I even use credit here from yard sale book lots that I trade in, so very little cash is expended. Kinda fun now and then to take a look.

Went thriftin' a few days ago with a friend and had a couple finds.

I nabbed a boxed and complete NES Robocop - $3 at a local thrift.

My friend beat me to the punch at Goodwill though - he found a minty complete copy of Fatal Fury Special for SNES amongst a bunch of VHS tapes. Fifty cents. We scoured the rest of the rack and the whole store for more games or a system - no dice. We reckon we probably got someone else's leftovers. Hey, at least they missed one. :D

Here's some recent finds for the last few weeks. Lots of gamecube stuff.

photo.JPG

Not exactly thrift store but deals nonetheless. Picked these up at Newbury Comics. Grabbed 2 copies of Luigi's Mansion and flipped the players choice copy for about $25 online. Enough to cover buying these 2 at higher than usual prices for thrifty shopping.

Luigi's Mansion - 11.99 each
Pikmin - 5.99

photo.JPG

3 or 4 bucks each at Savers. Both with manuals included.

photo.JPG

NHL Hitz 2003 - $2.99 at Savers

The other 3 are from my Salvation Army that never fails. $1.99 each and they usually are $3.99 so that was nice. Best part was one had an official black memory card in it, and I was smart enough to open all the cases to reveal this inside of Blitz:

photo.JPG

Sweet!

photo.JPG

$3.99 each at Savers. Killer 7 has both discs and the manual.

Other finds recently not game related:

-Tron toy new in packaging for 2.99, attempting to flip
-Playmobil people new in box, also 2.99 and a flipping attempt.
-Boba fett toy, same as above
-Boston Bruins and old school LA kings hockey patches, 1.49. Not sure what to do with them but they look cool.
-Led Zeppelin IV vinyl. beat up but only $.49
-other misc records $.50/.99 each
-Kiwi Game Boy color I got with $10 in store credit from a game shop where I dropped off part of a lot I grabbed for $10 a while back for $32 in store credit. Just sold the game boy color for $34 online.

[quote name='Rollobobo']OUCH....11.99 for Luigi's Mansion?....at a thrift store no less....[/QUOTE]

Actually Newbury Comics is not a thrift store. It's a an independent record store chain that also sells movies, video games, and other stuff. What I was trying to say is $12 is more than I would pay at a thrift store or yard sale but since I picked up 2 copies and sold one for about $25 I was happy with it, and thus included it in my post.

[quote name='GoldFly']Actually Newbury Comics is not a thrift store. It's a an independent record store chain that also sells movies, video games, and other stuff. What I was trying to say is $12 is more than I would pay at a thrift store or yard sale but since I picked up 2 copies and sold one for about $25 I was happy with it, and thus included it in my post.[/QUOTE]

ah gotcha....I must have missed the story part...I just saw the price and I was a bit surprised. Hell, ya got $25.00 for the other one so maybe its a pretty solid deal.

In reference to the dollar store post, I used to do awesome at dollar stores when they were selling Pokemon figure packs, I had so many packs, probably 40 or more all sealed. Well those packs quickly rose in value especially sealed ones so I was able to make a nice buck on them. Of course dollar stores around here don't sell good toys anymore, just junk.

I have never seen Game Gear games at dollar stores, I have seen some nice PC games and VHS tapes at them, there was a store called Odd's N Ends here that had a great selection of .99 PC games.

[quote name='SaraAB']In reference to the dollar store post, I used to do awesome at dollar stores when they were selling Pokemon figure packs, I had so many packs, probably 40 or more all sealed. Well those packs quickly rose in value especially sealed ones so I was able to make a nice buck on them. Of course dollar stores around here don't sell good toys anymore, just junk.

I have never seen Game Gear games at dollar stores, I have seen some nice PC games and VHS tapes at them, there was a store called Odd's N Ends here that had a great selection of .99 PC games.[/QUOTE]

Mine were all chain dollar stores. "Deals" used to be $1 only and that is where I found the GG games.

I also got some video game figures at the dollar store. I know I bought some Maximo ones. The best figures I found though were dragon's Lair figures. I have a couple of these "singe" figures. I can't believe they were sitting there for $1 each.

http://www.amazon.com/Dragons-Lair-...=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1326081663&sr=1-1

Gamestop/EB games also had the Dragon's Lair figures in their dump bins many moons ago for about $2 each, I bought one (not Singe) but I just sold it off this Xmas with a bunch of other stuff. Though I think only certain Gamestop's had the dump bins, it definitely was not at every store.

All my Pokemon finds were from the local Dollar Tree, and they had dump bins of the figures up front, so there was plenty to go around.

The best thing about where I live is that there are a TON of game developers here and I seem to have the best luck finding their old stuff at thrift stores. I just got a boatload of sealed EA games from a thrift today that all had "Purchased from the EA Experience" slapped on the cover - which is their corporate employee only store. Among the games (once again, all new and sealed) were pretty much every Sims 2 game, the Sims 1 Complete Collection, Battle for Middle Earth 1, 2(the collector's edition), and the expansion. Also: American McGee's Alice. Once again, all new and sealed - which is an amazing find. Oh, also should mention that were all $1.99 each.

On top of that, at the same thrift I found a P90X set (12 discs with books) for $34.99. Awesome.

Today I picked up Legend of Dragoon and Final Fantasy Tactics PS1 for $10. It looked like somebody dumped their whole collection off because there were lots of PS1 games.

Decided to try out some local stores I haven't really been to before. Swung by a little methodist thrift store and picked Crash Bandicoot, Final Fantasy VIII, Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil directors cut. All are complete and all except RE: DC is Black Label. Also picked up Blade Dancer: Lineage of Light Soundtrack. Paid $10 total for them all. Some of the discs are kinda rough, but I should be able to buff out any scratches.

GW1- N64 and ac adapter- $8.

GW2- (pic) Gameboy carrying case with system, light/magnifier, battery pack, original battery cover, Links Awakening, Top Rank Tennis, game cases, 10 booklets-$12.
Mario Kart 3DS- $25, complete (highest 3DS game Ive seen there)
Pacman and Galaga Dimensions 3DS- $5, has booklet. Dont know if there was any ads with this brand new?

GW3- Nuttin much. Passed on an N64 grey controller, another copy of Mario Kart 3DS, and some other Target games in the glasscase.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/juangrande386/IMAG0251.jpg

I haven't found anything good in a long time, but I did recently pick up a skinny media shelf for $7 that is now holding all of my handheld games.

#-oI gotta grab one of those book version rarity guides that I can keep on me at all times.

I bought the following today from a local Salvation Army(and most likely shouldn't have):

:ps3:GTA IV(disc only and in horrid shape:puke:)-$4.99-friggin thing looks like someone sneezed on the bottom of it and then tried wiping it clean with some sandpaper.:roll: Oh well. I'll probably just give it to my buddies' nephew who just got a PS3 for Christmas, since Blu-Ray discs are fairly durable, so hopefully it'll still work.:lol: I was in a hurry or else I woulda fully checked the game before buying it.

Genesis-

*Mickey's Ultimate Challenge-$2.99(complete)
*Barbie Super Model:lol:whistle2:$2.99(complete)-borrowed the one workers iPhone to check prices on this, saw what looked like an auction with it at $35, but later realized it was a 'best offer' on eBay or wherever for $35#-o
*Trampoline Terror-$2.99(complete)-this looked like an interesting lil title, so I figured why not:roll:

Between the Mickey and Trampoline game I have almost the full value of the three Genny titles, but once again being sans a phone(or a price guide) has bitten me in the ass.:bomb:

This SA store had a TON of games in the case today, including at least 1-2 PS1 titles(Tony Hawk), a lone Gamecube title(Naruto something something anime whatever), a couple Xbox titles(Star Wars Battlefront, some other title) and a buncha other Genny titles(all sports).

If SW: Battlefront wasn't in bad shape I woulda grabbed that, but it had tons of lil scratches.:whistle2:#

EDIT: Actually going by Digit Press' online rarity guide I didn't do too bad with picking up Trampoline Terror($15 value according to them), Mickey's Ultimate Challenge($8) and $5 for the Barbie game. Of course, good luck getting those values.

Generally if you are paying under $5-6 a game you are doing good since that is what it costs at minimum to buy ship a random game from ebay. If its a game you want for your collection or something you want to play then I say go for it. Saturn games or Sega CD games with pristine cases are probably worth much more than that each even if they are crappy games.

[quote name='SaraAB']Generally if you are paying under $5-6 a game you are doing good since that is what it costs at minimum to buy ship a random game from ebay. If its a game you want for your collection or something you want to play then I say go for it. Saturn games or Sega CD games with pristine cases are probably worth much more than that each even if they are crappy games.[/QUOTE]
That's the thing though. I haven't had the model 3 Genesis I bought months ago out to play anything on it in a while now. So I was just buying these to see if I could toss em up on my TL here or on CL in a big lot and try to get rid of all of the games I probably will never play in one shot.

I still have this combo system I didn't test that I bought months ago too. I think it's a combo Sega Master/NES system. It needs the right sized power adapter, but does have wires to hook up to the tv with(seperate red/white/yellow composite cables that're dual end).

Almost thought I had a score at the Thrift Store when I found a black label FF7 amongst some junk PS1 games, only to take it out and roll my eyes at the 24.95 price tag. Where do these stores get off thinking they can charge the same premium that resellers do on Amazon or eBay? If you're just going to use their listings as a guide when pricing this stuff, then just cut out the BS and sell it on the internet. I almost bought it to replace the greatest hits copy I got last year at Goodwill for $3, but it just wasn't worth the price.

[quote name='spmahn']Almost thought I had a score at the Thrift Store when I found a black label FF7 amongst some junk PS1 games, only to take it out and roll my eyes at the 24.95 price tag. Where do these stores get off thinking they can charge the same premium that resellers do on Amazon or eBay? If you're just going to use their listings as a guide when pricing this stuff, then just cut out the BS and sell it on the internet. I almost bought it to replace the greatest hits copy I got last year at Goodwill for $3, but it just wasn't worth the price.[/QUOTE]

What did the condition look like? You wouldn't be doing bad offering $15-20 if it was minty.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']What did the condition look like? You wouldn't be doing bad offering $15-20 if it was minty.[/QUOTE]

Offering? At a thrift store? These places aren't tag sales where you can negotiate. Anyways, the discs look fine, but it was missing the manual. Even complete it's only going $25 on Amazon now, so not really a deal.

[quote name='spmahn']Offering? At a thrift store? These places aren't tag sales where you can negotiate. Anyways, the discs look fine, but it was missing the manual. Even complete it's only going $25 on Amazon now, so not really a deal.[/QUOTE]

If stuff doesn't sell you can always negotiate :lol: Just talk to one of the guys in the back who prices the stuff. But yeah, being incomplete is a definite pass at that price.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']If stuff doesn't sell you can always negotiate :lol: Just talk to one of the guys in the back who prices the stuff. But yeah, being incomplete is a definite pass at that price.[/QUOTE]
On the price tags at the Salvation Army stores here they put the date they get items in(even on the lil blue/green/pink/etc tags they put on smaller items like books/games). If something sits there for long enough(usually a month for furniture), then it's fair game to ask if they'll take a lower amount.

That's how I got my "official"/bootleg Transformers G1 multi season set(that's natively in Chinese n ya have to navigate the Chinese menus to get it switched over to English:lol:) for $19.99 when they originally wanted $49.99 for it.:whistle2:#

It was there for 2-3 months in the case and I kept looking at it every time I went there, but I finally got the chutzpah n asked if they'd go cheaper.:D

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']If stuff doesn't sell you can always negotiate :lol: Just talk to one of the guys in the back who prices the stuff. But yeah, being incomplete is a definite pass at that price.[/QUOTE]

At the stores around here, if stuff doesn't sell, it just sits on the shelf until someone breaks it and it's no longer sellable, or it gets shoplifted. If you tried negotiating at a Thrift Store in this area, they'd probably think you were a crack head and throw you out of the store.

Here's some of the more unique things i picked up last year

This is what I paid 1.75 for and sold for 360
Image268.jpg

These guys I kept
Image269.jpg

This I paid 25 cents for, and will probably get 40-50 when the second game comes out
IMG015.jpg

This went for a lot, considering it was just a storage unit..even boxed..it is one of the more modern/sleek storage units for that time.
IMG016.jpg

Even if I won the lottery...which I did yesterday 3.00 lol, I would still go to thrift stores. I have a lot of fun, its like treasure hunting. And this sounds so hoarderish, but I feel like I'm saving certain items when I add them to my collection. I do sell most of my stuff though.

I don't blame you, I am particularly fond of saving stuffed animals especially since they get tossed a lot, even at my age (I am wayyyyyy too old for stuffed animals) but I take it pretty seriously, they are just another collectible to me.

Swung by a local thrift store and got something decent.

Picked up this remote control Wall-E for $2.50
photo6kb.jpg

Tested him out, works fine. He's a bit dirty, but will clean up just fine.

Also picked up a 3 Pack of N64 games (carts only) for $2.99
Starcraft 64
WWF No Mercy
The World is not Enough

as I scrolled down, I thought Wall-E was a R.O.B. for a split second. Which reminds me of this remote control batmobile that I saw at goodwill left it sitting while I went to check its value and someone else grabbed it :(. It was worth like 150-200.... another one i let someoen grab was a drum set that was worth 1200 on ebay for 200.

An important lesson I learned, is take it with you while you check the prices.

[quote name='Theenternal']as I scrolled down, I thought Wall-E was a R.O.B. for a split second. Which reminds me of this remote control batmobile that I saw at goodwill left it sitting while I went to check its value and someone else grabbed it :(. It was worth like 150-200.... another one i let someoen grab was a drum set that was worth 1200 on ebay for 200.

An important lesson I learned, is take it with you while you check the prices.[/QUOTE]

Yea. I've never lost out on anything that big before, but I have had it happen. I almost left Wall-E there, but decided to check the price. They sell for around $120 or so used, so I figured I'd take him for myself and if I ever need to, I can sell him. Sometimes I'm afraid that if I try to start buying more stuff, I'll end up being a hoarder

I had a couple good finds this week and spent more than I should have:

-20 gb Xbox 360 (box and HDD only) for $50, and it works! has dashboard 2.0.5... on it (not sure if its worth a flip so i may use it as a second box in the bedroom)
-SNES mini model with 2 controllers, av , and power for $20, I'm stoked on this one, gonna keep it and sell my regular SNES
-SuperMario 2 NES with blue plastic case $3
-Hogan's Alley NES with blue plastic case and its the version with the famicom adapter inside! $3
probably gonna flip it since I have a gyromite with the adapter already

photo-1.jpg

[quote name='Theenternal']another one i let someoen grab was a drum set that was worth 1200 on ebay for 200.[/QUOTE]

Do you remember anything about the drum set? I'm guessing it would more likely be an older vintage set with collector's value vs a newer set that is really nice that was donated. I wouldn't mind finding something besides the beginner type stuff I always run into that is worth about what they are asking even if it's in the 100-200 range :)

I don't think I've even seen a kid's drum set at the thrift stores around me lol

Picked up an opened but still packaged Madcatz wired Xbox360 controller for $10. Been wanting a cheap wired controller for my laptop since Amazon has been having decent PC downloads on sale.

@wheels- I thought about doing the same thing when I got a mini SNES but then I found out it couldnt use my universal svideo cable. That was a problem for me so I kept the old model but made profit on the mini. But if you arent even gonna use svideo then it shouldnt be a hard choice.

[quote name='FOnewearl']Do you remember anything about the drum set? I'm guessing it would more likely be an older vintage set with collector's value vs a newer set that is really nice that was donated. I wouldn't mind finding something besides the beginner type stuff I always run into that is worth about what they are asking even if it's in the 100-200 range :)

I don't think I've even seen a kid's drum set at the thrift stores around me lol[/QUOTE]

I would guess it was a slingerland set.

@juangrande386, is there much of a difference with s-video? I found an s-video nintendo cable not long ago but havent gotten around to trying it out yet. I should be able to make a decent profit flipping the mini if it comes to that.

I need to hit up more goodwills and Thrift stores. I've had more luck at Pawn shops. Most of the goodwills are picked clean and the local thrift stores are pretty pricey. Sometimes the estate sale stores or consignment stores might have something

I saw a huge collection of Sega Mega Drive games the other day at Good Will, but nothing of any value. First time in a while I've seen anything video game related for a while.

[quote name='slowdive21']I saw one of those super nintendo minis at an auction, but I didn't want to wait another 2 hours fro them to get to it.[/QUOTE]

YMMV but when I see something I'm interested in at an auction I'll ask them to put it up for me so I don't have to wait up to a few hours, some places are good about that and will have it up within a matter of a few minutes if you ask politely.

[quote name='FOnewearl']YMMV but when I see something I'm interested in at an auction I'll ask them to put it up for me so I don't have to wait up to a few hours, some places are good about that and will have it up within a matter of a few minutes if you ask politely.[/QUOTE]

Yeah this was a 1st time auction. The guy was an auctioneer for years and he decided to open his own place. I got there an hour early to scope everything out and he ended up delaying the auction start time for 2 hours because he felt there was not enough people there.

I ended up buying some vintage star wars stuff, an amazing spiderman 14 (1st green goblin), and a couple of long boxes of comics. I did really well for the day, but it was so hot and slow, I just ended up leaving. There was a guy about my age who was also looking at it, so I figured he could have it, since he was overpaying for stuff all day.

I don't think he has had an auction since.

[quote name='wheels']@juangrande386, is there much of a difference with s-video? I found an s-video nintendo cable not long ago but havent gotten around to trying it out yet. I should be able to make a decent profit flipping the mini if it comes to that.[/QUOTE]

I hear its really the tv its plugged into. I think svideo is an improvement on my 42in hdtv. Others say its not much different.

Found a SNES copy of Aerobiz: Supersonic at a local video store for $4.99. This same place prices Super Mario World and other games of the type for $20-$25. I'll take the hidden jems they don't know about for cheap, thank you.

[quote name='Invicta 61']Found a SNES copy of Aerobiz: Supersonic at a local video store for $4.99. This same place prices Super Mario World and other games of the type for $20-$25. I'll take the hidden jems they don't know about for cheap, thank you.[/QUOTE]

Hidden Jems? Don't tell the Misfits...

[quote name='GoldFly']
office%25252C%252520beatles%25252C%252520gto.png

Office and Beatles - $3.99 each at Savers
GTO -$12.99 at another Savers[/QUOTE]

Nice GTO pickup. I loved that series. Very good stuff there.

bread's done
Back