Photo
- - - - -

Thrift Store Thread 2012

• Please log in to reply
1731 replies to this topic

#511 michaelgetsboss

michaelgetsboss

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:46 PM

I just bought a miracle piano from a thrift store for $50 kind of worried i paid too much but I'm pretty sure its complete besides the headphones.Posted Image

#512 GoldFly

GoldFly

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:39 PM

I stopped at a thrift store and found a snes super mario bros 3 and bought it for $2 ...Even though I do not own the system I figured it would be a nice collectible...

Super Mario 3 on SNES? Should be a fantastic collectible!
:rofl:

#513 schuerm26

schuerm26

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:30 PM

I just bought a miracle piano from a thrift store for $50 kind of worried i paid too much but I'm pretty sure its complete besides the headphones.Posted Image

I probably would have bought it at that price. I have always wanted one of those. Buying one online you would probably be paying $20 in shipping or so. So if you overpaid, which Im not sure you did, you probably couldn't get one much cheaper complete. Cheapest one I see on Ebay is $140 boxed.

#514 Bing147

Bing147

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:19 PM

Had a great day. Hit two pawn shops and three Thrift stores. The best thing I found at the first four stops was a copy of Riven which I couldn't buy because I had no cash and nothing else in their store was worth anything and they require cash on purchases under 10 dollars. Find that that edition is available on ebay for about 5 dollars so I don't really care. But at the last Goodwill I hit they had a whole bunch of Gamecube games. I see Kirby Air Ride and pick it up, behind it is Phantasy Star Online Episode III. Behind that is Wind Waker. In the next column they have Harvest Moon a Wonderful Life and Pikmin 2! To say I was happy would be an understatement. The cases have a few nicks but are in mostly good shape and all have good shape manuals. Get up to the counter and the disc for Harvest Moon is nowhere to be found, no idea where it is. They went through their entire CD booklet, its just gone. I didn't care that much, mainly wanted Pikmin and Zelda. She rang them up at the CD price instead of the game price. So 12.50 for all 4 including tax!

Even better, I get out to the car and there's a memory card 251 in the Pikmin 2 case that I hadn't noticed.

Posted Image

Posted Image
www.vg-force.com

#515 Bing147

Bing147

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:16 PM

Kind of want to go back... the memory card has Pikmin 2 and Kirby Air Ride save data... also has Tales of Symphonia save data. I wonder if they had more they hadn't put out yet. Unlikely it seems, doesn't take long to put games out but you never know. Seems unlikely it was already bought as anyone who knew TOS was worth anything would have known Pikmin 2 was. Still, possible there could have been more to come as I doubt these were out long, they'd have been gone. Anyone think it'd be worth checking? He could have rented or borrowed or previously sold TOS... but then, he could not have...
www.vg-force.com

#516 yourlefthand

yourlefthand

Daddy Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:21 PM

I hit a couple of thrifts at lunch. At the first one I found a Sonic the hedgehog Boom! CD, which is a soundtrack for a couple of the games. I found a couple of other CDs also. The big score, through, was an Estes ColdPower Convertible Rocket Kit. I haven't opened the box yet, but I'm pretty pumped about it. It's a model rocket kit that seeming runs on Freon, which obviously makes it rare.

At the second I found a couple of minorly flippable sealed TV seasons for $7 each as well as "The Road to Game 2131" on CD, which seems to be a rare CD talking about Cal Ripkin's record-breaking streak of games. The only listing on Amazon is for $500, which I'm sure is absurd. Anybody have any ideas on pricing?

Edited by yourlefthand, 19 April 2012 - 08:00 PM.

#517 yourlefthand

yourlefthand

Daddy Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:21 PM

Kind of want to go back... the memory card has Pikmin 2 and Kirby Air Ride save data... also has Tales of Symphonia save data. I wonder if they had more they hadn't put out yet. Unlikely it seems, doesn't take long to put games out but you never know. Seems unlikely it was already bought as anyone who knew TOS was worth anything would have known Pikmin 2 was. Still, possible there could have been more to come as I doubt these were out long, they'd have been gone. Anyone think it'd be worth checking? He could have rented or borrowed or previously sold TOS... but then, he could not have...

I wouldn't make a special trip back, but if you're going by there anyway it might be worth stopping.

#518 yourlefthand

yourlefthand

Daddy Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:00 PM

I probably would have bought it at that price. I have always wanted one of those. Buying one online you would probably be paying $20 in shipping or so. So if you overpaid, which Im not sure you did, you probably couldn't get one much cheaper complete. Cheapest one I see on Ebay is $140 boxed.

I passed on one at a yard sale last year. When I found out what it was worth i was pretty frustrated, but not as frustrated as my wife would have been if I'd brought that box into the house.

#519 Potatoeman

Potatoeman

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:23 PM

Wow, nice finds Bing!

#520 tiggerkiddo

tiggerkiddo

wants your blood...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:48 AM

Visited a couple of thrift stores and a pawn shop...

At the thrift stores:
Link's Awakening
Shining Force 2 (In a Shining Force box)
Nightmare Before Christmas soundtrack
Soul Calibur

The last two are for me, the first two will probably go to the lowball...only because I love you guys so much.

Also saw a sealed copy of Strawberry Shortcake but I wasn't going to buy it for 10 bucks...

#521 schuerm26

schuerm26

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:07 AM

Posted Image

Anyone have any information on this? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

#522 yourlefthand

yourlefthand

Daddy Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:19 AM

Looks like this:
http://www.rightstuf...tem/41879/4/0/0

#523 Scootsy

Scootsy

T'wolves/Magic/Bulls Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:22 AM

That was the first DVD my family ever bought, I got it as a gift on Christmas 1999 or 2000. It's pretty dang awesome, I still have it! But it's not a bootleg, I remember my Papa saying he bought it at the electronics store back on the Air Force base we lived on back then. :D

#524 schuerm26

schuerm26

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:32 AM

Looks like this:
http://www.rightstuf...tem/41879/4/0/0

That is definitely it. Wonder what it is worth. I couldn't find one on ebay or find it on Amazon. ISBN number doesn't show up on Amazon either. That site doesn't have any for purchase.

Edit: Typed it into google. Found some stuff. 1 on ebay for $40

#525 Gregtastic

Gregtastic

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:57 AM

That is definitely it. Wonder what it is worth. I couldn't find one on ebay or find it on Amazon. ISBN number doesn't show up on Amazon either. That site doesn't have any for purchase.

You don't like Dragon Ball? Keep that!

Follow @num1greg
TrueAchievements
XBL: Gregtastic

#526 schuerm26

schuerm26

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:01 AM

You don't like Dragon Ball? Keep that!

Never seen it. Don't watch any of that stuff. Was at a thrift store and saw it for $3.98 and figured I might as well buy it.

#527 Gregtastic

Gregtastic

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:32 AM

Never seen it. Don't watch any of that stuff. Was at a thrift store and saw it for $3.98 and figured I might as well buy it.

Watch it. It's good. I love the original Dragon Ball series. Way better than Z.

Follow @num1greg
TrueAchievements
XBL: Gregtastic

#528 Bing147

Bing147

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:54 AM

I wouldn't make a special trip back, but if you're going by there anyway it might be worth stopping.

I did check back as its not far. Not only was nothing new out but the games I passed on (finding nemo, crash, sonic riders, a couple of sealed xbox controller s) were gone too. Tells me I need to hit before noon to have a shot. Good to know.

Surprised the sealed s are worthless. Almost bought them to flip only to find they are on ebay for 6 dollars with bin. Goodwill wanted 5 each. Good if I had use for them but I don't have an original xbox and as there are only like... 6 xbox games not backward compatible I have any interest in, it is not a priority.
www.vg-force.com

#529 Dokstarr

Dokstarr

Tap, Snap or Nap

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:11 AM

If I remember correctly that is the original dub from back from like 1990. I remember watching it on tv when I was like 7. That is funny that it is on ebay for 40. I remember like 10 years ago it was super cheap at Suncoast all the time and just sitting there. Nobody wanted it since it was so edited and changed with the dub.

#530 juangrande386

juangrande386

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:02 PM

More Gameboy games from the same GW- Tetris, Metroid2, Super Mario Land 2, and Donkey Kong Land- $4 apiece

Guess the manager didnt see these

http://www.ebates.co...TvZAODnfHwJLg==

https://www.plink.co...496565/aid/1264

http://sensor2.suite...S=1&RPID=282220 Tango Giftcards

Earn giftcards for Amazon and other places by clicking the referral links. Help a brother out while youre at it :)

#531 spmahn

spmahn

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:35 PM

I remember picking this up years ago from the Wal-Mart $5 bin. It really shouldn't be worth anything at all since the entire orginal Dragon Ball series was reissued on DVD a few years ago. That doesn't mean that it isn't worth anything though, I'm not sure. I just donated mine to Goodwill ahen I bought the updated Dragonball DVD sets.

#532 schuerm26

schuerm26

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:40 PM

I remember picking this up years ago from the Wal-Mart $5 bin. It really shouldn't be worth anything at all since the entire orginal Dragon Ball series was reissued on DVD a few years ago. That doesn't mean that it isn't worth anything though, I'm not sure. I just donated mine to Goodwill ahen I bought the updated Dragonball DVD sets.

Y

Yeah I have no clue. I just saw one listed for $40 on ebay buy it now. We all know how those work though. Who knows what someone will actually pay for it.

#533 letskissthesky

letskissthesky

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:22 PM

today i got a colecovision boxed copy of bc II: grogs revenge without the manual for 3.70. they also had boxed colecovision copies of root beer tapper and illusions that i did not purchase so somebody will have a good find.
Posted Image

#534 spmahn

spmahn

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:02 AM

I went to several thrifts today and turned up literally nothing. I know I've said this before, but all the thrift stores, Goodwill, Salvation Army, Savers, the whole lot of them, need to get their head out of their ass and lower their prices, at the rate the are going they're going to price themselves out of business within a year or two. Every store is the same, some are better than others, but it all boils down to prices that are too high for items that aren't worth it. Who in their right freakin mind is going to buy a Gamecube with no power cable, an AV cord, and one controller with a big sticker on it that says AS IS for $40!!! Walking through the electronics area is a joke, literally 80% of the items that get stocked there should have gone in the trash, and not priced and placed out for sale. And why do these stores even continue to accept CRT Television sets, VCRs, and VHS tapes? Every store I go to has more of these then they will ever know what to do with, they should be giving them away for free, not trying to sell them for $30.

I really could go on and on, but I would neither be shocked nor saddened to see Goodwill start closing up shop on their retail side, converting stores into strictly donation centers, and doing the majority of their business online.

#535 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:48 AM

OK, I was on my way home and I said to myself "I should stop at Savers."

They had a genesis complete for 6.99, but I left it since I have 8-10 of them and then I saw this:

$6.99 complete NES. Tested it and everything works. NESes always sell well, plus I can fix/mod them, so I picked it up.

Posted Image

Then I saw it. This was sitting on the shelf. I immediately snatched it up and didn't put it back down until I was in my car.

Paid .49 Videoblaster

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

:bouncy:

#536 spmahn

spmahn

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:53 AM

Great find, that same Nintendo set would have been $39.99 at every Savers in this area. That does remind me of something Savers does which pisses me off, and that's stick their stupid price label on boxes and book covers and labels, and then it's impossible to remove it without tearing something.

#537 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:40 AM

:lol: http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=319584

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#538 spmahn

spmahn

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:22 AM

:lol: http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=319584

What is the point of your linking to this thread? Have you even read the whole thing? There is no correct answer, some felt that it was strictly economic principals at play, other agreed with me that it was some straight economic principals, as well as a number of extraneous factors manipulating the market beyond basic economic factors. Neither side is necessarily wrong, but I'm not going to argue it anymore.

#539 Bing147

Bing147

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:44 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Went to a new Goodwill today and found nearly nothing. A bunch of sports games and Guitar Hero games but that's it. They did have a couple of Guitar controllers for 10 each. They had an N64 racing wheel and a PS1 racing wheel for 10 each but I have neither system. They had a Duke controller for the Xbox but I have that neither and so passed. There was a Balance Board for Wii in terrible shape for 40. I was about to leave when I remembered that someone recently told me some of the more obscure systems (Master System/Turbografx/Jaguar/etc) sometimes get stuck with DVD players as no one knows what they are. So I decide to check. I'm shocked to see a 3DO marked 10.91 just listed on the tag as Panasonic Interactive Player. No AV cable or controller and couldn't find it but it was plugged in and came on, opened it and there was a copy of PGA Tour 96 inside. Bought it and got it home, found some AV cables. Works great, the game loads up and it will load a CD too. Can't actually use it without the controller but ordering one on EBay.

Edited by Bing147, 22 April 2012 - 08:55 PM.

www.vg-force.com

#540 Rexall

Rexall

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:00 AM

There is no copy protection on the 3DO. Just saying if you want to play other games