Photo
- - - - -

Thrift Store Thread 2012

• Please log in to reply
1731 replies to this topic

#571 michaelgetsboss

michaelgetsboss

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:09 PM

got this at the spca thrift store in my town yesterday for $3 didnt come with anything but it turns on, at first i thought it didnt work but then my brother pointed out it boots from a floppy so i ordered some os6 on floppy and hopefully that will do the trick.
Posted Image

#572 Pumapride

Pumapride

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:11 PM

"I went to a "thrift store" today called Propaganda Palace. It just moved into the downtown area right by my school. They had an amazing selection of games, for about DOUBLE ebay/amazon prices. Copies of FF7 were $60 a piece, big box Lunar was $90, Suikoden(I) for $50 were some memorable ones. It was a cool little place but damn those prices were god awful."

Hey Potatoeman! You must be in San Antonio. Yeah the reason PP has some much inventory is b/c they NEVER sell anything! Haha. I do agree they have an amazing selection, but what good does that do if everything's overpriced? Even Game Over is cheaper than PP.

#573 Potatoeman

Potatoeman

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:33 PM

Yup! Game Over is much more reasonable (in comparison).

Game over is actually doing a B2G1 this weekend btw if you were interested. Mostly overpriced stuff, but sometimes there's decent pricing.

#574 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:22 PM

Bought some more games today at the thrift store. Not as good as my last group (haven't posted that group yet either) but I had $20 in store credit to burn by the end of the day.

#575 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

He wears a disguise to look like human guys.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:46 PM

Bought some more games today at the thrift store. Not as good as my last group (haven't posted that group yet either) but I had $20 in store credit to burn by the end of the day.

Do you get the credit for donating stuff? And is this a national chain or just a local thrift store? I believe I've seen something like this discussed on the forum at some point, but I wouldn't know where to look.

#576 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:05 PM

Do you get the credit for donating stuff? And is this a national chain or just a local thrift store? I believe I've seen something like this discussed on the forum at some point, but I wouldn't know where to look.

It was at "Savers". They would give you and a friend $10 certs if you each donated a bag and if you both signed up for their store card (free). It was a limited time offer, so I had to burn up the credit today. Luckily, I have seen the same people the past 4 days, so they put out some more games for me. Nothing great, but it was easy to buy some 99 cent games to use up the credit.

#577 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

He wears a disguise to look like human guys.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:25 AM

Although it's not a terribly exciting promo, it'd be nice if some of the stores around here would do something like that because I have a lot of junk to unload and it'd be nice to get something for it. It's too bad we don't have Savers in our area; I've seen it mentioned in this thread several times and it sounds a heck of a lot nicer than any thrift stores we have.

#578 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:34 AM

Although it's not a terribly exciting promo, it'd be nice if some of the stores around here would do something like that because I have a lot of junk to unload and it'd be nice to get something for it. It's too bad we don't have Savers in our area; I've seen it mentioned in this thread several times and it sounds a heck of a lot nicer than any thrift stores we have.

It's basically a Goodwill with better prices. It seems like they turn stuff around quickly, so there is fresh stock daily.

What's nice about the promo is you still get a tax deduction form (which also has a $3 off coupon on it). Once in a while Goodwill runs 'sales', but it is usually only on clothing.

Plus every $5 you spend they have a punch card that gives you 30% off a purchase once it is filled.

#579 Bing147

Bing147

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:15 AM

My Goodwills have a 50% off color each week but since gaming stuff never lasts more than a few days you can't wait until the color comes around, once in awhile you get lucky but not often as they generally don't put things out as the color of the current week.
www.vg-force.com

#580 Elusive

Elusive

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:28 AM

I saw TIE Fighter, X-Wing,and a few other old, obscure floppy disk DOS games for $5 each at one of the local Goodwills today. They were all in near-perfect condition and even came in their original boxes. I forgot how huge PC game boxes used to be, by the way.

Anyway, TIE Fighter is practically my favorite game. Period. I was so tempted to jump on it for collecting's sake (it was in perfect condition, after all!), but I don't even have a floppy drive any longer (surprise, right?) and I have the updated collector's edition discs, anyway. *sigh* Watch me swing by tomorrow and grab it, anyway.

Oh, and it seems like they like FFX. This is the second time I've went and there's been another copy of it put out - it was $2 this time instead of the $3.50 when I bought it a couple of weeks ago. Other than that, though, I haven't really found any decent video games in the times I've been there.

Wait, is there any interest for complete, in-box Master System games? There were quite a few of those, too, along with some crappy Genesis/SNES titles (sports titles, mostly).

#581 aptanor

aptanor

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:40 AM

Wait, is there any interest for complete, in-box Master System games? There were quite a few of those, too, along with some crappy Genesis/SNES titles (sports titles, mostly).

I'm always interested in CIB Sega stuff, just not sports games.
Posted Image
Very amusing day at the thrifts :V

Edited by aptanor, 28 April 2012 - 02:58 AM.

Posted Image

#582 Elusive

Elusive

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:59 AM

I'm always interested in CIB Sega stuff, just not sports games.

Welp, I'll keep you in mind next time I head out that way. I'll jot down what they are and let ya know - I don't think any of 'em were rare, but I'm not well-versed in Master System stuff (I do remember that one of the titles was a Hang On + Safari Hunt combo pack and, judging from the 1 cent Amazon prices, that's not so rare). They've been there for the past few weeks and I doubt they'll be going anywhere fast. ;)

How much did you pay for the N64, by the way? I saw one here last week that came with a power cord + Perfect Dark for $15, but I already have both a black and jungle green one and didn't see a point in grabbing another for what was (in my opinion) an average price.

#583 wheels

wheels

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:05 AM

I found some good stuff this week

Mario party 2 $5
Mario kart 64 $5
2 original Xbox controllers $2!

And this for $8, it was sealed
Posted Image

#584 aptanor

aptanor

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:08 AM

Welp, I'll keep you in mind next time I head out that way. I'll jot down what they are and let ya know - I don't think any of 'em were rare, but I'm not well-versed in Master System stuff (I do remember that one of the titles was a Hang On + Safari Hunt combo pack and, judging from the 1 cent Amazon prices, that's not so rare). They've been there for the past few weeks and I doubt they'll be going anywhere fast. ;)

How much did you pay for the N64, by the way? I saw one here last week that came with a power cord + Perfect Dark for $15, but I already have both a black and jungle green one and didn't see a point in grabbing another for what was (in my opinion) an average price.

Was $10. Mostly grabbed it as my brother needed an expansion pack and the controller stick felt practically new.

Posted Image

#585 Rex24

Rex24

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:17 PM

Went to Jarrod and Brandi's store (from Storage Wars) and found these. Posted Image

#586 FOnewearl

FOnewearl

Whooooooooa Bundy!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:06 PM

(I do remember that one of the titles was a Hang On + Safari Hunt combo pack and, judging from the 1 cent Amazon prices, that's not so rare).

Hang On + Safari Hunt is to the Master System what Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt is to the NES.
62 Guides For Trade Brand Then Alphatized Updated 3-6-10.

http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=36537

#587 spmahn

spmahn

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:14 AM

Went to Jarrod and Brandi's store (from Storage Wars) and found these. Posted Image

Cool if you collect Genesis stuff, but man, you got hosed on those prices! As long as you're satisfied though.

#588 Doomstink

Doomstink

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:41 AM

I was wondering if anyone had any input on selling software and your experience with it. I've sold some microsoft office stuff on eBay with no trouble but idk if the photoshop product keys work the same way. Any input is appreciated.

Don't try to sell that copy of Photoshop on eBay. You will have your listing pulled within a day and you will get a policy violation from eBay for "Copyright Infringement" (even if the copy is completely legitimate). Adobe's legal team is ridiculous and pounces on used listings with an incredible swiftness. Try selling it on Craigslist.

Also, serial keys for Adobe products can only be active on a certain number of computers - if the original owner never deactivated, you won't be able to install that copy.

#589 mguiddy

mguiddy

'nives 'n 'nades

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:18 AM

Found a Kodascope Model b 16mm projector for $25.
Sadly, it's not running (motor or gears seem seized up), but it's still beautiful.

#590 syphic

syphic

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:19 PM

This weeks Goodwill and thrift store scores:
M-Audio Key Rig 25 CIB $9.99, SNES Interact Arcade Duo Fight Stick 3.99, Macross model kit $1.49, Tandy 2 Player Baseball Mint CIB $10, Alice PC CIB $5, Sewer Shark Sega CD x2 $3.99 Sealed, Sonic CD $3.99 Sealed, Lot of 5 Turbo Grafx Games (Keith Courage, TV Sports Football, China Warrior, Victory Run, Legendary Axe 2) $9.99, SNES Zelda, Contra 3, Super Metroid, & Final Fight 2 $2.50 each, Gamecube Super Mario Sunshine, Mario Party 4 & 5(both had a memory card inside), Super Smash Bros Melee $3.99 Each, Green N64 with Mario Party and 1 controller $9.99, Balloon Fight NES $3.99, Long Box and regular PS1 games were 75% off so some were about $1.75 to $2 each, Sony LCD TV with input and outputs $4.99 CIB

Posted Image
My Youtube Gaming Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/syphic

#591 alexkidd4

alexkidd4

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:52 PM

This weeks Goodwill and thrift store scores:
M-Audio Key Rig 25 CIB $9.99, SNES Interact Arcade Duo Fight Stick 3.99, Macross model kit $1.49, Tandy 2 Player Baseball Mint CIB $10, Alice PC CIB $5, Sewer Shark Sega CD x2 $3.99 Sealed, Sonic CD $3.99 Sealed, Lot of 5 Turbo Grafx Games (Keith Courage, TV Sports Football, China Warrior, Victory Run, Legendary Axe 2) $9.99, SNES Zelda, Contra 3, Super Metroid, & Final Fight 2 $2.50 each, Gamecube Super Mario Sunshine, Mario Party 4 & 5(both had a memory card inside), Super Smash Bros Melee $3.99 Each, Green N64 with Mario Party and 1 controller $9.99, Balloon Fight NES $3.99, Long Box and regular PS1 games were 75% off so some were about $1.75 to $2 each, Sony LCD TV with input and outputs $4.99 CIB

Posted Image

I'm subscribed to you on Youtube. You guys must have the best Goodwills in the country, out there in LA. If I could find 1/4 of the stuff you've found at my Goodwill, I'd be a happy camper.

#592 Potatoeman

Potatoeman

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:27 AM

Sweet Marry! That's just nuts for one week!

#593 rexflexall

rexflexall

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:23 PM

Sweet, man...hope you got a peek at Brandi's rack, worth the price of admission! Really, I hope you did...you paid a bit much for those games.
CAG? I'm Cheap Ass everything:booty:

#594 syphic

syphic

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:01 PM

Sweet, man...hope you got a peek at Brandi's rack, worth the price of admission! Really, I hope you did...you paid a bit much for those games.

I live in Socal and would totally go down there to see Brandi's Rack. Is she really at the store?
My Youtube Gaming Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/syphic

#595 GoldFly

GoldFly

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:09 AM

Don't try to sell that copy of Photoshop on eBay. You will have your listing pulled within a day and you will get a policy violation from eBay for "Copyright Infringement" (even if the copy is completely legitimate). Adobe's legal team is ridiculous and pounces on used listings with an incredible swiftness. Try selling it on Craigslist.

Also, serial keys for Adobe products can only be active on a certain number of computers - if the original owner never deactivated, you won't be able to install that copy.

Thanks for the input. Only a 99 cent investment after all. I'll figure something out.

#596 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:53 AM

I hit up the DeWitt(NY) Salvation Army while I was up in the area for work today. I ended up picking up nothing, but I was kinda shocked by the sheer number of consoles and games they had in the one display case up front.

They must've had 2-5 original Xbox systems(all console only by the looks of it:cry:), 3 original grey PS1's, 1 PSone and at least a couple Gamecubes.

The only decent games they had were two PS1 games: Virtual Pool and Tiny Toon Adventures: The Great Beanstalk(which I think I already have here someplace). The only other non sports or DDR game they had was Asteroids for PS1, but that was mangled.

I shoulda probably bought Virtual Pool and TTA: TGB since VP was only $.99 and TTA was $1.99, but I think I'm done buying random games from thrift stores unless it's something I know that has actual value anymore.:-#

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#597 juangrande386

juangrande386

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:08 PM

No more wondering about one GW, they had a few printouts from Ebay auctions taped to some items in the glasscase! BS to the max

http://mbsy.co/lootcrate/8401525 Loot Crate (Get boxes of tech/gamer/nerd stuff delievered every month)

http://www.ebates.co...TvZAODnfHwJLg== Earn Cash Back on shopping sites

http://sensor2.suite...S=1&RPID=282220 Tango Giftcards for running an app

Earn giftcards for Amazon and other places by clicking the referral links. Help a brother out while youre at it :)

#598 Potatoeman

Potatoeman

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:12 AM

No more wondering about one GW, they had a few printouts from Ebay auctions taped to some items in the glasscase! BS to the max

Aye, I see that every once in a while around here. Most of the time the pricing people don't care enough to check though.

I saw a complete copy of Shenmue for Dreamcast at GW last year with a 24.99 asking price. They had printed a listing that sold on ebay for 29.99 that was in mint condition and likely an international buyer or some other nonsense. The copy they had on display had massive cracking on the case and broken hinges, as well as scratched discs.:roll:

#599 mguiddy

mguiddy

'nives 'n 'nades

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:41 AM

:lol:
Some of the stores do that around here every once in a while.
They don't bother to check for sold items. They just print out a listing for whatever the highest price.
Sad thing is, I'm sure someone will pay those prices... and think they're getting a deal.

#600 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:45 AM

Quick question. I picked up a clean looking xbox at a thrift store and the power button doesn't work, but the eject button powers on the console. I tested it with halo and it seems to work except for the power button. Is this a common problem with the systems? Is it easy to fix?