Thrift Store Thread 2012

• Please log in to reply
1731 replies to this topic

#61 Theenternal

Theenternal

CAG got me pregnant

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:05 AM

Glad you got something Aptanor, If I go north, ill definitely will check out the GW :).

My main issue with the various self-owned thrift stores is they don't seem to have a lot of new items coming in.

Also here is a funny goodwill story from when I was in Daytona.

My GF at the time had to go up to Daytona for a day for work. On the way back I saw a goodwill and got her to stop. Within the first minute or two of shopping, I got some mad stomach pains. One of those, you don't care where you are, you have to go because it can't be held. So I hit up the bathroom and complete my quest. While washing my hands I notice the diarrhea coming back up. It starts splattering on the floor and quickly is heading for the door. I rush out grab my GF who was looking at clothes and just get her to drop everything cause we gotta go. As we head out, I see poop creeping from under the door to where the clothes were.
Posted Image
http://www.grapplemo...yevtakayama.gif

Removed IMG tags due to sig guideline violations.

#62 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:32 AM

Glad you got something Aptanor, If I go north, ill definitely will check out the GW :).

My main issue with the various self-owned thrift stores is they don't seem to have a lot of new items coming in.

Also here is a funny goodwill story from when I was in Daytona.

My GF at the time had to go up to Daytona for a day for work. On the way back I saw a goodwill and got her to stop. Within the first minute or two of shopping, I got some mad stomach pains. One of those, you don't care where you are, you have to go because it can't be held. So I hit up the bathroom and complete my quest. While washing my hands I notice the diarrhea coming back up. It starts splattering on the floor and quickly is heading for the door. I rush out grab my GF who was looking at clothes and just get her to drop everything cause we gotta go. As we head out, I see poop creeping from under the door to where the clothes were.

I am not gonna go there but the only thing I have to say is most bathrooms have a drain for this very purpose, so theoretically a backup like you described would not happen, not that it wouldn't back up but it wouldn't in the way you described. In fact in some states I think this is a law, if you have a public bathroom there must be a drain on the floor.

As far as I know I haven't seen a thrift here with a public restroom though, most have signs on the door no public restrooms.

#63 Invicta 61

Invicta 61

Gabagool, Provalone and vinegar peppers

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:38 AM

Dude, that's shitty.
Bah weep granah weep nini bong.

And now I present Kate Upton doing the Cat Daddy:

Spoiler

#64 faa8146

faa8146

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:51 AM

Finds from the past week or so:
Spoiler

Finally got a car, so I can go to the Goodwill ~30 miles from my house. I'd say it's worth it.
CDX and SNES were $15 each, both work.
Controllers were all $3 each.
Not pictured is another wavebird that I traded in to a local game shop. (the one I still have is missing the battery cover, unfortunately)

#65 wugenius

wugenius

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:09 AM

Holy crap a CDX! Dude you guys have all the luck. My local thrift stores has NOTHING. Best thing I ever saw was an old model 1 genesis, with no cords.

#66 CAG90210

CAG90210

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:23 AM

Spoiler

Finally got a car, so I can go to the Goodwill ~30 miles from my house. I'd say it's worth it.
Not pictured is another wavebird that I traded in to a local game shop. (the one I still have is missing the battery cover, unfortunately)

I picked up a Wavebird controller from a local GW, but couldn't find the receiver. Been back 3 straight days now, in hope of finding the receiver still attached for a gamecube or something, no luck :(

I'm jealous that you found one with the receiver.
Currently playing:
Gamecube - Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door
PS3 - Skyrim
SNES - Super Mario RPG: Legends of the Seven Stars, saved file corrupted, almost towards the end too :cry:

Recently beaten:
PS3 - Uncharted 3 :applause:
CML
PSP - Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection: Final Fantasy IV

#67 TheBigAndy

TheBigAndy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:15 AM

Huge score on that CDX... Those fetch pretty good money on ebay.

#68 C0dy

C0dy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:23 AM

Dat CDX...

I so jelly. Congrats bud.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who loves the Nintendo e-Reader.

#69 faa8146

faa8146

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:26 AM

The crazy thing is, the date on the CDX was something like 12/27, and I bought it on 1/9. So I'm pretty sure I finally found a Goodwill where I don't have any competition :drool:

#70 Theenternal

Theenternal

CAG got me pregnant

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:41 AM

Wow awesome deal on the CDX, make sure to read up on this

"MK-4122 for the SEGA CDX

INPUT: 120V 60Hz 23W
OUTPUT: 9.5V - 1.5 Amp

This power supply is hard to find and is the ONLY one you should use with the SEGA CDX. The Genesis 2 MK-2103 will fit but is under powered. I personally have seen it cause problems, and when you drop down the cash for a SEGA CDX., you don’t want to burn it out by using the wrong power supply! I wouldn’t use it for anything else either."

I saw an CDX on craigslist in Jacksonville during the Xmas break for 45 obo, but was too far to be worth the trip :( I regret it a little even though I have one, I use a cheap model 2 instead.

@SaraAB, I'm no expert on goodwill pooping because I've only done it once, but next time hopefully it has a drain :)
Posted Image

#71 aptanor

aptanor

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:46 PM

I saw that ad too, but by the time I was able to get back to him it was gone :(

Posted Image

#72 anotherpoorgamer

anotherpoorgamer

Bird's Nest Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:26 PM

I'd love to find a Sega CDX at reasonable price, shoot I'd be happy to find a working Sega CD Model 1 or 2 at a thrift store. Good find!

Although, I did find a boxed 32x a long time ago, had everything need to play. Oh yeah, I found an X'eye years ago so I suppose that's as close as I'll get to a working Sega CD.

#73 Appleinthetree

Appleinthetree

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:03 PM

You guys would kill me for not purchasing my lunch time finds at my local thrift store. I found a Wall E similar to a few posts ago, it works I pressed the buttons and it moves. It's the Wall E without the remote. It was 6 bucks and is going for $40 on ebay. I found a foosball table used of course, its a stand alone one-$50.00. I didn't get the brand name, so I'm not sure if its worth anything. I also found a 1969 train set for $1.99, I tried looking the price of that up and was unsuccessful. I found a army doll for $5.00 and looked it up it seemed to be overpriced, after careful examination it looked newer rather than older. I also found some small toy helicopters with repair kits, they both seemed to be missing remotes. The only item I wished I rolled the dice on was the foosball table.

Edited by Appleinthetree, 18 January 2012 - 07:26 PM.

#74 CAG90210

CAG90210

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:59 PM

Warning: Rant

Went to local GW to see if I can find a reciever for the GC wavebird. Asked one of the employee if they have any GC in the back room (I reasoned that the Wavebird controller I picked up over the weekend separated from its receiver which was left attached to the GC), he told me that there was two GC today, but as soon as it got out of the backroom, this Hispanic man grabbed both. Apparently, him, along with other couple people, are standing near the door leading from the backroom into the store, and crowds any carts that get roll out. ARGH!

I walked by that Hispanic man's cart, and saw that one of the GC has a GBA player attached to it.

/rant
Currently playing:
Gamecube - Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door
PS3 - Skyrim
SNES - Super Mario RPG: Legends of the Seven Stars, saved file corrupted, almost towards the end too :cry:

Recently beaten:
PS3 - Uncharted 3 :applause:
CML
PSP - Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection: Final Fantasy IV

#75 Theenternal

Theenternal

CAG got me pregnant

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:07 AM

the x-eye is a better find than a sega cd either model, and can support s-video depending on which one you got it may or may not need a mod.

@aptanor thats a shame would have been nice for a CAG to get it :) where exactly are you located?
Posted Image

#76 yourlefthand

yourlefthand

Daddy Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:08 AM

You guys would kill me for not purchasing my lunch time finds at my local thrift store. I found a Wall E similar to a few posts ago, it works I pressed the buttons and it moves. It's the Wall E without the remote. It was 6 bucks and is going for $40 on ebay. I found a foosball table used of course, its a stand alone one-$50.00. I didn't get the brand name, so I'm not sure if its worth anything. I also found a 1969 train set for $1.99, I tried looking the price of that up and was unsuccessful. I found a army doll for $5.00 and looked it up it seemed to be overpriced, after careful examination it looked newer rather than older. I also found some small toy helicopters with repair kits, they both seemed to be missing remotes. The only item I wished I rolled the dice on was the foosball table.

I would not think that $50 for a thrift store foosball table would typically be a good deal. Most of the brands that are easy to find are nothing but junk and would be hard to sell if that is your angle. Some of them may be ok, but if you want to get into foosball your really need to find a Tornado table in good condition. Nothing else comes close, at least not for long.

#77 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:13 AM

Picked up red original Game Boy. Anyone have any idea on the rarity of this? I've never personally see a colored original Game Boy so I didn't hesitate to pick it up, especially for $1.99. The system is in flawless condition. The screen has a few minor scratches and I haven't tested it out yet.

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#78 yourlefthand

yourlefthand

Daddy Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:09 AM

Picked up red original Game Boy. Anyone have any idea on the rarity of this? I've never personally see a colored original Game Boy so I didn't hesitate to pick it up, especially for $1.99. The system is in flawless condition. The screen has a few minor scratches and I haven't tested it out yet.

It sounds like it was part of the PLay it Loud series. A red one with the box recently sold for $36 on ebay.

#79 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:13 AM

It sounds like it was part of the PLay it Loud series. A red one with the box recently sold for $36 on ebay.

That's what I was finding out. Seems like I'll at least be able to make a profit lol.

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#80 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:18 AM

That's what I was finding out. Seems like I'll at least be able to make a profit lol.

Cheapest on Amazon is $49.99, if you want to go that route.

Bored? Too much money than you know what to do with? Why not check out my Amazon Storefront? If you see anything you want, send me a PM! Make an offer, either monetary or trade! Over 2000 items, and more added daily!

#81 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:10 AM

Cheapest on Amazon is $49.99, if you want to go that route.

Oh wow, that's pretty awesome. I picked it up on a whim mostly because I'd never seen one and it was only $1.99. Even if it turned out to be worthless, it was a measly $2. I can handle that loss, but looks like I won't be losing on this one. 8-)

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#82 aptanor

aptanor

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:08 AM

the x-eye is a better find than a sega cd either model, and can support s-video depending on which one you got it may or may not need a mod.

@aptanor thats a shame would have been nice for a CAG to get it :) where exactly are you located?

Downtown St. Augustine, but my fiance (36 days!) is in Jax, so I'm up there frequently enough to keep an eye on their CL as well.

Posted Image

#83 JJSP

JJSP

Beyond economical repair.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:04 AM

Spoiler

Congrats on the CDX! I found one at a Goodwill about a month ago or so (posted it here, I believe). Sold it on eBay for over 10x what I paid.

#84 tiggerkiddo

tiggerkiddo

wants your blood...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:10 PM

I don't find much anymore since I usually only visit on weekends or maybe once during the weekdays but...

Final Fantasy X guide
Lord of the Rings Strider Goblet (Lights up too!)
Audiobooks
Metroid 2

Couple weeks back I found a copy of Harvest Moon 64...that was a good day.

#85 wheels

wheels

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:54 AM

I found some good things over the past couple of days

Super Mario Kart SNES
N64 Gameshark
KOTOR II PC
Sega Genesis with 32x but no cables for $8

#86 Invicta 61

Invicta 61

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:15 AM

I found some good things over the past couple of days

Super Mario Kart SNES
N64 Gameshark
KOTOR II PC
Sega Genesis with 32x but no cables for $8

Good luck finding the proper connector cable for that 32x. If you find a cable you need to get StarWars Arcade 32x and Doom 32x, two of the better games for the system.

Spoiler

#87 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:10 AM

Good luck finding the proper connector cable for that 32x. If you find a cable you need to get StarWars Arcade 32x and Doom 32x, two of the better games for the system.

I think I have one still sealed that I got with my sega cd/genesis combo. I wasn't sure if it went with it, but I made sure I'd grabbed it before I left the Garage sale.

#88 Invicta 61

Invicta 61

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:25 AM

I think I have one still sealed that I got with my sega cd/genesis combo. I wasn't sure if it went with it, but I made sure I'd grabbed it before I left the Garage sale.

Hold onto it like gold because they are near impossible to find. I have seen some online tutorials on how to try to make your own, but that's going to come down to how handy you are and a little luck.

Spoiler

#89 Theenternal

Theenternal

CAG got me pregnant

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:50 PM

The 32x complete cable for both models is worth more than the 32x itself lol.

I picked up a D&D hardcover manual for a dollar flips for about 20. I also bought a bunch of old 80's sealed baseball card packs for 10 cents. Depending on my luck, I could make a decent amount off it, but will probably just give it to one of my friends. The real treasure was that inside the box of cards was what I assume is the previous owners prom photos lol. I'll upload them when I get back home.
Posted Image

#90 Metal Militia

Metal Militia

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2012 - 03:03 PM

i found a copy of Goldeneye 007: Reloaded for Xbox 360 for $12 at Goodwill. This game wasn't even on my radar, but for $12 I knew I had to pick it up.

Also found a Copy of Skyward Sword for $20 at the same Goodwill. I would have bought it in a second if I didn't already own it.
Posted Image