Thrift Store Thread 2012

• Please log in to reply
1731 replies to this topic

#91 tiggerkiddo

tiggerkiddo

wants your blood...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:50 AM

Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords (A bit scratched up but works fine. I'll try to get it fixed up)
Rock n' Roll Racing (Dirty like hell but a good bath of rubbing alcohol had it working like new)
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Don't have a N64 to test it out, alas)
Donkey Kong Country 3

Also saw Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World there. Both were 10 so an easy skip for me. Also Kirby's Avalanche but it was like 7...or 8 and I don't like the game so pass on that too. Saw a SFC edition of Aladdin but I left it there. This is all going into the acquire funds for January 31st. The less damage to the wallet the better...=)

#92 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

He wears a disguise to look like human guys.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:04 AM

Not really an exciting score, but I was happy to pick up Spyro The Dragon (PS1) and I Spy: Spooky Mansion Deluxe (PC) for $1.75 each. They also had Riven, a pinball creation sim, and some other PC games (some still sealed) but I passed.

#93 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:32 PM

Went to a few Good Wills yesterday and was surprised by the amount of video game stuff I saw.

Probably about 5 Xboxes, 3 GameCubes, and 4 PlayStations. One store even had a whole shelf of PS2/Xbox games. Also saw a hdd adapter for PS2, but it was in pretty bad shape.

I couldn't find anything worth buying though. It appeared that it had all be combed over by resellers.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#94 MisterJones

MisterJones

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:21 PM

Hold onto it like gold because they are near impossible to find. I have seen some online tutorials on how to try to make your own, but that's going to come down to how handy you are and a little luck.

this USED to be the case but not so much anymore

there are some guys on ebay producing these cables in larger quanities now and they can be had for $8.95 shipped for the model 2 and 3 genesis

im not affiliated with these guys in any way but figure help some fellow gamers out

heres the link
http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1438.l2649

and if you're trying to pair the 32x with a model 1 genesis this is the ultimate cable for reasonable price which gives you true stereo sound

http://www.ebay.com/...9#ht_2244wt_904

hope this helps some of you guys out

#95 theking20

theking20

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:55 PM

Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords (A bit scratched up but works fine. I'll try to get it fixed up)

curious but how do you plan on doing it? the toothpaste way?

I have been looking for ways to clean up scratched up discs.

I remember i asked gamestop once to use their machine but they wouldn't :/ unless i traded it in

#96 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:22 PM

I remember i asked gamestop once to use their machine but they wouldn't :/ unless i traded it in

I have a cheap bench buffer from Harbor Freight. It takes some practice (and quite a few junk practice discs to ruin) to get the feel for it, but the results are usually better than anything an automated buffer can do.

Bored? Too much money than you know what to do with? Why not check out my Amazon Storefront? If you see anything you want, send me a PM! Make an offer, either monetary or trade! Over 2000 items, and more added daily!

#97 tiggerkiddo

tiggerkiddo

wants your blood...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:43 PM

I have my own little CD cleaner/buffer thingy at home. It usually does the trick, even if I have to do it once or twice.

#98 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:41 PM

Oh wow I guess those cables make picking up dirt cheap 32x systems that come with nothing else worthwhile provided you can get the system really cheap, a couple dollars at most.

#99 juangrande386

juangrande386

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:47 AM

Nightmare Creatures (N64)
War Gods (N64)
Batman Returns (SNES)

Cart only, $3 apiece.

http://mbsy.co/lootcrate/8401525 Loot Crate (Get boxes of tech/gamer/nerd stuff delievered every month)

http://www.ebates.co...TvZAODnfHwJLg== Earn Cash Back on shopping sites

http://sensor2.suite...S=1&RPID=282220 Tango Giftcards for running an app

Earn giftcards for Amazon and other places by clicking the referral links. Help a brother out while youre at it :)

#100 portpunk

portpunk

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:54 AM

A local thrift store has an "Annex Store" in the back, with all the "junk" that they don't want cluttering up the nicer store. THIS is where the true finds are.

One trip...late in 2011 (right before Xmas) netted:

Megaman Legends
Megaman Legends 2
Megaman X5
and Spiderman 2: Enter Electro

...for EIGHT BUCKS total.

#101 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:46 AM

pick ups at saver
http://us.mg5.mail.y...=Inbox&inline=1
This was $2, not really sure what its worth
http://us.mg5.mail.y...=Inbox&inline=1
Also $2, again dont know what it is worth
http://us.mg5.mail.y...40Bulk&inline=1
Picked this up for $12 :)

That's a lot of blanks for $16!

elessar123.png

#102 aptanor

aptanor

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:50 AM

There are no pictures in your post he means.

Posted Image

#103 Techman16

Techman16

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:08 AM

Ok lets try again
Got this for $2
Also this for $2
And this for $12

#104 Chronis

Chronis

Hey, I just met you

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:05 AM

Nice find out the Cube. i like the RE4 skin. That Ice Hockey cart looks beyond grody though. Hopefully it works.

11317.png

#105 Techman16

Techman16

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:09 AM

Nice find out the Cube. i like the RE4 skin. That Ice Hockey cart looks beyond grody though. Hopefully it works.

ya I think its mostly the label, looks like I gotta get an atari 2600 and try it out :D

#106 Theenternal

Theenternal

CAG got me pregnant

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:27 AM

I have a cheap bench buffer from Harbor Freight. It takes some practice (and quite a few junk practice discs to ruin) to get the feel for it, but the results are usually better than anything an automated buffer can do.

We have a machine at work that makes the discs come out looking brand new. It only cost a few cents per disc to use it and does about 50 at a time. Too bad I don't have access to it. Does the Harbor freight one produce similar results? I hadn't seen a small one that do much more than take out big scratches and leave a haze.
Posted Image
http://www.grapplemo...yevtakayama.gif

Removed IMG tags due to sig guideline violations.

#107 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:31 PM

We have a machine at work that makes the discs come out looking brand new. It only cost a few cents per disc to use it and does about 50 at a time. Too bad I don't have access to it. Does the Harbor freight one produce similar results? I hadn't seen a small one that do much more than take out big scratches and leave a haze.

With enough practice, yes, but it all comes down to pressure and angle control. Personally, I can take a wrecked CD and make it look close to new, except for really deep gouges. Those can only be buffed down so much before risking further damage.

I've even restored a few ringed 360 games, some horribly ringed and unreadable, to completely 100% playable.

But trust me, it took months and many practice discs to get the method down just right.

Bored? Too much money than you know what to do with? Why not check out my Amazon Storefront? If you see anything you want, send me a PM! Make an offer, either monetary or trade! Over 2000 items, and more added daily!

#108 TheAngryCAG

TheAngryCAG

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:48 PM

I've got one of the JFJ Disc Repair Machines. I lucked into getting one super cheap which is great cause buying them new is like $500. I can pretty much repair any disc, except for really deep gouges. I've repaired plenty of those rings that 360s can cause on discs

#109 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:10 PM

My library has a "DiscChek machine". I was thinking about volunteering, just so I could try it out. ;)

#110 TheBigAndy

TheBigAndy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:53 PM

My library has a "DiscChek machine". I was thinking about volunteering, just so I could try it out. ;)

There is one for $3,000 on ebay. I should buy it and then you guys can send me your discs and I will restore them for $1 each. 25 years from now it will have paid for itself.

#111 juangrande386

juangrande386

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:48 AM

2 plastic candy cane tubes filled with Skittles- $0.59 apiece

Complete 1/8th scale RC Mario Kart- $45, these are $120 at Walmart. Super clean, hardly any marks or scuffs. Charging the battery right now. Its like the height of my cats.....im gonna run over the cats :P

http://mbsy.co/lootcrate/8401525 Loot Crate (Get boxes of tech/gamer/nerd stuff delievered every month)

http://www.ebates.co...TvZAODnfHwJLg== Earn Cash Back on shopping sites

http://sensor2.suite...S=1&RPID=282220 Tango Giftcards for running an app

Earn giftcards for Amazon and other places by clicking the referral links. Help a brother out while youre at it :)

#112 200STM

200STM

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:56 PM

My recent finding at a salvation army was 3 ps1 games:
Yu-gi-oh! Forbidden Memories with the case no manual
Medal Of Honor: Underground complete
Monster Rancher 2 complete

#113 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:09 PM

Ooh, nice find with Monster Rancher 2. That's probably my favorite PS1 game. It's the reason why I don't throw away ANY CD's. I've got spindles full of hundreds of AOL trials, travel DVD's, and more. I know you can just burn a special CD to get whatever monster you want, but it was so much more fun to be surprised.

Was this the SA on Ming by any chance? That's the only one I ever see with games. Goodwill usually has a good selection (especially the one by Winco on Coffee Rd.), but they usually charge too much.

#114 200STM

200STM

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:15 AM

@ZombieToast: I found those PS1 games at the ming salvation army. I have found games there, sometimes I'm lucky sometimes I'm not. I tend to go when I have a day off to the goodwill on white ln near gosford road and the salvation on ming. It is tough there as the gamestors and the ottos video game shop actually send there employees to the thrifts store to collect and bring back to the store to sell at high prices.

#115 Kid Fresh

Kid Fresh

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2012 - 02:10 AM

got a new in box (and in plastic clamshell) N64 gameshark for $4
I like it cus I like n64 stuff, an odd find for sure

#116 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:53 AM

Finds at the thrifts I hit today:

Lil neighborhood one down the line:

Nada

Salvation Army #1:

:dvd:Seasons 1&2 of Smallville-$10 each
:ps2:Mega Man Anniversary Collection-$5

I couldn't find anybody to open the case to let me check the discs on the Smallville seasons or the MMAC, so I left both.:wall:

Salvation Army #2:

A buncha PS1 games including Driver, Centipede and some sports titles.
Seasons 2 & 3 of Lost on :dvd: for $10 each

Only thing I picked up there was a complete/mint black label FFVIII that came with an instruction manual AND a lil mini walkthrough guide.

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#117 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:24 AM

@ZombieToast: I found those PS1 games at the ming salvation army. I have found games there, sometimes I'm lucky sometimes I'm not. I tend to go when I have a day off to the goodwill on white ln near gosford road and the salvation on ming. It is tough there as the gamestors and the ottos video game shop actually send there employees to the thrifts store to collect and bring back to the store to sell at high prices.

Hmm, I don't think I've ever heard of Otto's but that's pretty lame. I'm really not a fan of most of the local shops in this town.

I think I'll probably check out that Goodwill this weekend. I actually never noticed it until driving by it last week and I've been wanting to stop by. Which reminds me: the Goodwill downtown is actually pretty decent. They sometimes charge too much, but I've found quite a few NES and SNES games there (the one on Oswell gets a few but 99% are sports games).

They very rarely have video games, but there's a place (not sure what the name is) by the Autozone on the corner of Bernard and Union that always has a ton of board games. Just watch out for mice. Heh.

#118 Theenternal

Theenternal

CAG got me pregnant

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:35 AM

This is the machine we have at work http://www.discchek.com/ecomaster.html, I really need access to it :(. But thanks for the info Sp00ge. ill probably end up getting one.

Earlier in the week I found a box of baseball packs for cheap that I ended up giving away. I still need to scan the prom photo that was inside. I went back yesterday and there was a huge amount of cards that never got brought out. About 40 factory sealed boxes of sports cards wax packs and sets, 12 shoes boxes of cards, and a bunch of binders. I didn't want to buy any of it, because its mostly a lot of junk. But it was 2.50 a box. I couldn't resist. Its basically like opening a surprise box with 36 prize boxes inside, and all the prizes suck. Well KGJ is ok

Posted Image
Posted Image
So I bought a few boxes and a binder that had almost 3 complete sets of cards inside, one being upper deck. Gave two boxes away to friends who were thrilled, its like traveling back in time opening them up.

I also passed up some graystations and a n64, im at a limit for those too. I did pick up Rocket and some other soccer game for the N64 for .25 cents each. Apparently that rocket was an ok score. Another thing I can't resist are 1 dollar or less cartridge games. They're durable, and at the least can be sacrificed to save beat up carts of other games.
Posted Image
http://www.grapplemo...yevtakayama.gif

Removed IMG tags due to sig guideline violations.

#119 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:57 PM

Had a TON of good finds the past few days, a variety of toys, games, various crap. TONS of collectible disney and other plush Way too much to list, and most of it is for my Amazon store (which had about 300 things added tonight). I literally have a mountain of toys and stuff next to my desk, with a ton more to be listed.

The big winner of today, however, has to be a 7.5' Prelit Virginia Pine christmas tree from Target. Original price was $250, picked it up from GW for $5. The only problem is half of the lights on the top section didn't light up. After about 5 minutes of bulb-wiggling, I found the culprit bulb, which had bent connector leads, straightened them out and presto, the tree lit up as it should. Not a bad $5 spent.

#120 The Punisher

The Punisher

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2012 - 05:26 PM

Finds at the thrifts I hit today:

Lil neighborhood one down the line:

Nada

Salvation Army #1:

:dvd:Seasons 1&2 of Smallville-$10 each
:ps2:Mega Man Anniversary Collection-$5

I couldn't find anybody to open the case to let me check the discs on the Smallville seasons or the MMAC, so I left both.:wall:

Salvation Army #2:

A buncha PS1 games including Driver, Centipede and some sports titles.
Seasons 2 & 3 of Lost on :dvd: for $10 each

Only thing I picked up there was a complete/mint black label FFVIII that came with an instruction manual AND a lil mini walkthrough guide.

FYI-I think Target has the Smallville season 1 and 2 double pack on sale for $15 this week.