Thrift Store Thread 2012

• Please log in to reply
1731 replies to this topic

#1471 white3er

white3er

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:21 AM

HOLY CRAP white3er !!!! My hands would have been shaking as I poured all that stuff into my shopping cart :drool:

thanks everybody - this was my greatest find of all time at out of all the thrift stores I have been too. I was just tossing the games in the cart and there were moms there hovering over me and my cart. I couldnt wait to check out
Posted Image

#1472 Kovorkian

Kovorkian

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:23 AM

Shamokin? Is that where The Mask is from?

Shamokin is coal country

Tradelist   (Nintendo / Sony)  (Disclaimer for Paypal:  I will not send gift payment as this is a violation of  both CAG and Paypal ToS, Rules, UA et cetera, nor will I cover the fees, unless it is one  of Paypal's exceptions {e.g. Repayment of a purchase made for me.})

May DealSeeker continue to guide us through dark voids, lead us not into tempting terrible deals, and deliver us from EA.

gallery_474050_8161_75125.jpg

Designed by Lilchiji

#1473 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:37 AM

Man I bought some of those games at my SAVERS for 7.99 each cart only. That is an Epic find!

#1474 pyoobez

pyoobez

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:08 PM

The one over by the mall intersection with Sheetz(across from what used to be the locksmith)? I've never stopped there.
I hate going over to murderbury, last time i went to go to the salvation army over there it had closed at NOON! it opened at 9 or so.....

Yeah. There's a "back way" into the Rescue store across from Sheetz if you're stopping at mall. I can't remember if it's only one way though, as I don't drive. The games are really hit or miss there, though, but if they do have it the prices have always been really reasonable.

And yeah, the Salvation Army in Sunbury closes at noon on Saturdays. They used to do an extra hour in the warmer months, but I think they stopped doing that around the time they moved from next to the Peppermint after the fire to down by the OIP.

Shamokin is coal country

Yep. World's largest man made mountain in the world.

I haven't been to Shamokin much since around the time the Goodwill closed up and a discount grocery opened close than going to BRL. I got to the gaming/video shop once (it was near their Salvation Army) and was on their Salvation Army once as well. Both were decent. At their Salvation Army, I snagged Burai Fighter and Werewolf for the NES both CIB for 99 cents each.
Posted Image

#1475 PKGarep

PKGarep

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:21 PM

Went to a few of my local Goodwills this morning in search of video games. Sadly, I found nothing besides from a few sports titles. I did, however, find some manga.

It was weird seeing these at a place like Goodwill (Especially with the Parental Advisory labels on the front). Since it was 30% Off Day I got all of these for only $1.24. Seeing as I haven't read any manga for a few years, I might not even read these. But for the price I couldn't pass it up. New manga usually sells for about $10 and these are in excellent shape.

http://puu.sh/19rgx

#1476 Olengie

Olengie

Minato Arisato is the Messiah

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:25 PM

I love Kimikiss. :D

gallery_349297_8234_6637.jpg

Designed By Lilchiji

Spoiler

Spoiler

#1477 Kovorkian

Kovorkian

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:01 PM

-snip-

And yeah, the Salvation Army in Sunbury closes at noon on Saturdays. They used to do an extra hour in the warmer months, but I think they stopped doing that around the time they moved from next to the Peppermint after the fire to down by the OIP.-snip-

I go by the mall Mon - Fri twice >.>

I've yet to find anything ever at the Shamokin Dam Goodwill, Bloomsburg and Lewistown however have been good to me especially the lewistown one spent $5 dollars on books that were LN and they retailed for about $25 each

I was only going to stop because my sister wanted to go to the Chinese auctions [I despise Chinese auctions I never win, she always does >.>] in Sunbury. I just thought being open for 3hours was kind of rediculous

Tradelist   (Nintendo / Sony)  (Disclaimer for Paypal:  I will not send gift payment as this is a violation of  both CAG and Paypal ToS, Rules, UA et cetera, nor will I cover the fees, unless it is one  of Paypal's exceptions {e.g. Repayment of a purchase made for me.})

May DealSeeker continue to guide us through dark voids, lead us not into tempting terrible deals, and deliver us from EA.

gallery_474050_8161_75125.jpg

Designed by Lilchiji

#1478 pyoobez

pyoobez

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:28 PM

I go by the mall Mon - Fri twice >.>

I've yet to find anything ever at the Shamokin Dam Goodwill, Bloomsburg and Lewistown however have been good to me especially the lewistown one spent $5 dollars on books that were LN and they retailed for about $25 each

I was only going to stop because my sister wanted to go to the Chinese auctions [I despise Chinese auctions I never win, she always does >.>] in Sunbury. I just thought being open for 3hours was kind of rediculous

Yeah. I could be wrong, but I always assumed they open from 9-12 as that's roughly the hours of the Farmer's Market which is right nearby. When I lived a little closer, I used to stop at the Farmer's Market as there's a couple that do extreme couponing and sell the food at discounted prices. They also have some random flea market type stands. I've snagged a few games there, but it's somewhat rare, but all on the cheap. I got something for the Genesis for 50 cents (they had it and an old Madden.) Another time I got GTA: Chinatown Wars for $2-ish. Also one time an old dude was selling DVDs for $2 mainly kung fu and wrestling so I stocked up.

However, the Farmer's Market has gone downhill since the owner applied and got a liquor license. Almost all of the stands were run by senior citizens and there quite a few Mennonites/Amish in there.

I don't really do Chinese Auctions after I won one a prize (a plastic floppy disc lock box) offered by a distant relative's business. We had the same last name so some people assumed shenanigans. It probably didn't help that my grandmother, also with the same name, went to pick up the prize. The main reason I won, though, was because I was picking up containers to feel their weight and dropping in more tickets in the lesser ones.
Posted Image

#1479 spmahn

spmahn

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:47 PM

thanks everybody - this was my greatest find of all time at out of all the thrift stores I have been too. I was just tossing the games in the cart and there were moms there hovering over me and my cart. I couldnt wait to check out

You don't happen to live near Danbury, CT do you? There's a Savers out there that just opened yesterday, but it's a bit of a haul for me to get out there from Waterbury, and there's only a couple of Goodwills out that way where I never find anything, so I usually don't make the trip.

#1480 yourlefthand

yourlefthand

Daddy Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:43 AM

Anyway, on to the finds:

The onion field (DVD)
Dark Skies complete series
First Monday in October
V - the complete first season
Foul Play (goldie hawn and chevy chase)
The Last Don II (DVD)
Shadowlands
Washington: Behind closed doors (weird release I can't find online)

and, probably most interesting to some people here: Tata Young's Special Limited Edition 2-Disc "I Believe"

:)

#1481 mguiddy

mguiddy

'nives 'n 'nades

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:32 PM

Got some nice stuff last night.

USB 3 1/2 floppy drive - $3
Sealed Stratego library edition - $5
Sealed Legends of the Silver Screen puzzle - $2
Sealed Boys of Summer VHS - $1 (anyone know how to tell factory sealed VHS from resealed VHS?)
Spellbinder VHS - $1
Toymakers Dream VHS - $1
Weird Cartoons VHS - $1
Box and Manuals only Aces of the Pacific - $2 (Found this in the same Goodwill I found about 5-6 other box and manual only vintage PC games... I'm starting to wonder if they go through the box when they get it and throw away the floppies or something :/)

#1482 white3er

white3er

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:32 PM

You don't happen to live near Danbury, CT do you? There's a Savers out there that just opened yesterday, but it's a bit of a haul for me to get out there from Waterbury, and there's only a couple of Goodwills out that way where I never find anything, so I usually don't make the trip.

yes this was the Danbury CT one that just opened. I went again on Saturday and the game section was really cleaned out.
Posted Image

#1483 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

Perpetually behind the times

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:23 PM

First off, nice haul white3er, that beats probably my lifetime of thrift shopping finds in a single trip!

Anyways, I checked out a few GW that are outside my normal rotation, and I actually found a few decent titles, much better selection than the GW's closer to my house:

:xbox: Star Wars Battlefront II, complete, good condition, $4
:xbox: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II, complete, good condition, $4
:pc: Lost: Via Domus, $2.50

I've heard the Lost game isn't all that great, but my wife and I just finished watching the whole series recently on Netflix, so for the $2.50 it will be fun enough for us.

Also I did see a good stash of nice looking DS games (Phantom Hourglass, Prof. Layton, Nintendogs, etc.), but unfortunately someone stole all the carts inside, leaving the mint cases and manuals behind. Oh, the depravity of humanity...

Also I saw :ps2: The Warriors for $4, but the copy was a little beat up, though definitely better than the sea of sports titles.

#1484 Olengie

Olengie

Minato Arisato is the Messiah

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:25 PM

Maybe you can go and ask them if you can have the cases? :lol:

Nice. I still need to get KOTOR I.

gallery_349297_8234_6637.jpg

Designed By Lilchiji

Spoiler

Spoiler

#1485 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

Perpetually behind the times

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:36 PM

Maybe you can go and ask them if you can have the cases? :lol:

I thought about it, but the combined suspicions and bewilderment from the unknowing clerks, should I try to bring all these empty cases up to the counter, wouldn't be worth it. More than likely they would just ring them up full price anyways, even if I pointed it out.

#1486 TheHelix

TheHelix

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:16 PM

Decent PS1 score today.

Gran Turismo 2 50 cents
Alien Trilogy $2.50
G-Police $2.50
Simpsons Complete Season 1 $3

All complete :D

#1487 Dark Lord Greg

Dark Lord Greg

The Urban Legend

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:03 AM

was in another part of town and stopped at a Salvation Army where they were doing a one day 75% off everything sale and got a Sega Genesis (model 2) with 2 controllers and av/power cables for $8.75 from the original price of $35 (who in their right mind would have paid $35 for it?)

Dark+Lord+Greg.png

#1488 lude21

lude21

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:08 PM

2 complete n64's with a controller each.
$9.99 each.

#1489 juangrande386

juangrande386

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:11 AM

7th Saga for SNES- $3, the whole label is on it but it looks like it got air underneath so its bubbly. Might have to lay something flat and heavy (but not too heavy) on it. Weird it was the only game, maybe I just missed some others.

And the potentially best find of the year- Boxed 11 inch Jill Valentine RE3 Figure. Got it for $4, one sold for $220 on Ebay and one sold for $100. Idiots wrapped tape around it.....must peel sloooooowly

http://www.ebates.co...TvZAODnfHwJLg==

https://www.plink.co...496565/aid/1264

http://sensor2.suite...S=1&RPID=282220 Tango Giftcards

Earn giftcards for Amazon and other places by clicking the referral links. Help a brother out while youre at it :)

#1490 mguiddy

mguiddy

'nives 'n 'nades

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:22 AM

And the potentially best find of the year- Boxed 11 inch Jill Valentine RE3 Figure. Got it for $4, one sold for $220 on Ebay and one sold for $100. Idiots wrapped tape around it.....must peel sloooooowly

You have a hair dryer or a heat gun?
That's your best bet.

#1491 juangrande386

juangrande386

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:50 AM

You have a hair dryer or a heat gun?
That's your best bet.

I got it off with not too much damage....except for where it pulled up what I assumed was the little strip of seal tape on the top. So its possibly never opened but I wouldnt be able to sell it as new because the strip of tape is hanging now. Still looks same condition as the 2 on Ebay.....I kinda wanna keep it :lol:

Earn giftcards for Amazon and other places by clicking the referral links. Help a brother out while youre at it :)

#1492 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:20 PM

And my local GW does it again.. and I wasn't even planning on stopping today. I had to run some orders to the Post Office and decided to stop on my way back, and I am glad I did. And I may have made yet another new enemy too, because I beat the guy to the electronics aisle, where I found a garment bag price $10, and in it was:

• A SNES console (yellow, dirty) with cables
  • Izzy's Quest
  • NHLPA 93
  • Super Scope 6 cart
  • Michael Andretti somethingorother
  • Ms Pacman
  • Frogger
  • Kirby's Avalanche
  • 2 copies of Super Mario World
  • LOTZ: LTTP
  • Super Mario All-Stars
  • Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World

The other guy saw what I grabbed and just stared, with this really shitty look on his face. Oh well...

I also picked up a Dilbert plush for .50.

Edited by sp00ge, 04 October 2012 - 07:39 PM.

Bored? Too much money than you know what to do with? Why not check out my Amazon Storefront? If you see anything you want, send me a PM! Make an offer, either monetary or trade! Over 2000 items, and more added daily!

#1493 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:37 PM

I wish the GW stores around here carried anything worth a damn. All the electronics they have are old TV sets and other busted old junk.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#1494 mguiddy

mguiddy

'nives 'n 'nades

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:35 PM

And my local GW does it again.. and I wasn't even planning on stopping today. I had to run some orders to the Post Office and decided to stop on my way back, and I am glad I did. And I may have made yet another new enemy too, because I beat the guy to the electronics aisle, where I found a garment bag price $10, and in it was:

• A SNES console (yellow, dirty) with cables
  • Izzy's Quest
  • NHLPA 93
  • Super Scope 6 cart
  • Michael Andretti somethingorother
  • Ms Pacman
  • Frogger
  • Kirby's Avalanche
  • 2 copies of Super Mario World
  • LOTZ: LTTP
  • Super Mario All-Stars
  • Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World

The other guy saw what I grabbed and just stared, with this really shitty look on his face. Oh well...

I also picked up a Dilbert plush for .50.

You and your thrifts...
One of these day's I'm gonna make a trip over there. :lol:

A thrift I went to today had an SNES and a bunch of games, however the SNES itself was $9.99 (with cables) and the games were either $1.99 or $4.99 (I think they did any Nintendo published one for $4.99 for some reason).

#1495 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:05 AM

You and your thrifts...
One of these day's I'm gonna make a trip over there. :lol:

A thrift I went to today had an SNES and a bunch of games, however the SNES itself was $9.99 (with cables) and the games were either $1.99 or $4.99 (I think they did any Nintendo published one for $4.99 for some reason).

You stay the HELL away from my store! It's my store! :applause:

Bored? Too much money than you know what to do with? Why not check out my Amazon Storefront? If you see anything you want, send me a PM! Make an offer, either monetary or trade! Over 2000 items, and more added daily!

#1496 juangrande386

juangrande386

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:26 AM

And?? Still easily flippable @ those prices.

#1497 mguiddy

mguiddy

'nives 'n 'nades

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:33 AM

And?? Still easily flippable @ those prices.

And??
It's a comparison.
sp00ge's goodwill had a bag full of SNES games and an SNES for $10.
Mine had a comparable number of games and an SNES for what would've been $60 or so.

#1498 yoyo1316

yoyo1316

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:55 PM

Got all these games for $40
Kirby airride complete
Pokemon xd gale of darkness complete
Pokemon colosseum missing manual
Luigis mansion complete
Super Mario sunshine complete
Mario party 7 complete
Mario kart double dash complete
Super smash bros melee missing manual
Mario party 5 complete
Zelda windwalker complete

All games are mint condition

#1499 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:30 PM

And??
It's a comparison.
sp00ge's goodwill had a bag full of SNES games and an SNES for $10.
Mine had a comparable number of games and an SNES for what would've been $60 or so.

Too be fair, the SNES sound like somebody dumped gravel into it; lots of rattling going on in there. It powers on, but I haven't bothered hooking it up to the TV to test it yet.

#1500 leecy

leecy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:00 PM

For $3 each, I picked up:

Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
Zelda Wind Waker

All of them are complete and in great shape; I love when the plastic on game cases aren't indented, torn, or scratched to hell.