Photo
- - - - -

Thrift Store Thread 2012

• Please log in to reply
1731 replies to this topic

#1681 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:33 AM

Pretty good prices on everything, especially Legend of Dragoon and Vagrant Story.

You beat me, I paid $2.60 each for the copies of Vagrant Story and Legend of Dragoon that I found at Good Will.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#1682 evuong

evuong

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:25 AM

Pretty good prices on everything, especially Legend of Dragoon and Vagrant Story.

You beat me, I paid $2.60 each for the copies of Vagrant Story and Legend of Dragoon that I found at Good Will.

You both beat me, $4 each for dragoon and resident evil 2 a while back

#1683 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

Perpetually behind the times

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

Nothing major to report, but I went to GW on an off day and found a copy of :wii: Wii Sports for $1.99. I'm surprised how well this game sells, I thought just about everyone and their grandmother had a copy by now.

Edited by Billytwoshoes, 20 December 2012 - 05:20 PM.

#1684 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:23 PM

Nothing major to report, but I went to GW on an off day and found a copy of :wii: Wii Sports for $1.99. I'm surprised how well this game sells, I thought just about everyone and their grandmother had a copy by now.

It used to sell for a lot more before Nintendo gave it it's own retail release. I'd attribute discs getting damaged and used resellers (like Gamestop) separating the game and console.

Bored? Too much money than you know what to do with? Why not check out my Amazon Storefront? If you see anything you want, send me a PM! Make an offer, either monetary or trade! Over 2000 items, and more added daily!

Make your pledge today towards this years Extra-Life Charity 24-Hour Marathon!  All donations over $25 will receive a free 3d-printed and hand painted gift!  PM me for details!  http://www.extra-lif...nt/brokenpinata  JUST ADDED:  A progressive raffle!  The more donations received, the more prizes that are added! Check out my Twitch page for info! 

#1685 yourlefthand

yourlefthand

Daddy Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:08 PM

It used to sell for a lot more before Nintendo gave it it's own retail release. I'd attribute discs getting damaged and used resellers (like Gamestop) separating the game and console.

I used to check gamestop.com every day to see if there were any copies in stock near me. When we finally bought a wii I sold the new copy of wii sports and bought s used copy from gamestop. ;)

I've had some good recent thrift finds, but not much video game stuff. I think the best game was a nice complete copy of final fantasy viii for pc for $2.

#1686 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:39 PM

I used to check gamestop.com every day to see if there were any copies in stock near me. When we finally bought a wii I sold the new copy of wii sports and bought s used copy from gamestop. ;)

Yeah, I made a bit of money flipping copies to eBay. Then GS wised up and raised the price. Bastards...

Bored? Too much money than you know what to do with? Why not check out my Amazon Storefront? If you see anything you want, send me a PM! Make an offer, either monetary or trade! Over 2000 items, and more added daily!

Make your pledge today towards this years Extra-Life Charity 24-Hour Marathon!  All donations over $25 will receive a free 3d-printed and hand painted gift!  PM me for details!  http://www.extra-lif...nt/brokenpinata  JUST ADDED:  A progressive raffle!  The more donations received, the more prizes that are added! Check out my Twitch page for info! 

#1687 TiKi2

TiKi2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:37 AM

I used to buy those at GS as well and half the time they still had the seal on em.

#1688 MasaTFC

MasaTFC

Germany 2014 FIFA World Cup Champions!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:50 AM

so does anybody know if this "savers" thrift store is coming to western PA/Pitt area? The goodwills around here are hit and miss, but I do love me some Red White and Blue thrift (even though it is gettting hard to find really good stuff there).

"The Absence of Evidence Is Not The Evidence of Absence"

Updated List- Come Buy My Stuff Cheap!

#1689 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:01 AM

so does anybody know if this "savers" thrift store is coming to western PA/Pitt area? The goodwills around here are hit and miss, but I do love me some Red White and Blue thrift (even though it is gettting hard to find really good stuff there).

Man, I haven't been to a Red White and Blue in at least a year. Any good finds were few and far between, and didn't justify the drive from Irwin/Murrysville.

Last time I was there, I picked up a 3DO, and it was broken. But it came with a ton of good games, including "Plumbers Don't Wear Ties" which more than paid for the entire purchase.

#1690 Bing147

Bing147

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:25 AM

Savers is a mixed bag. My local stores ship stuff in. This means you usually see something... but it can be very random. They might have 6 systems but no games... this is common. Prices usually stink but they have their moments...
www.vg-force.com

#1691 DNukem170

DNukem170

Dance like you want to win, Gundam!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:45 AM

Picked up this weird X-Men Lego-knockoff movie. Only two listings on eBay, $3 and $35.

Also picked up Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelist Volume 9, the first purchase from there that I actually plan to keep in a long time.

#1692 robwhois

robwhois

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:11 AM

Savers is very hit or miss. Some days I've found ds systems for like 4.99 and nes games for like .99, but then you'll see stuff like a copy of madden 2002 or something like that for like 5.99, makes no sense...

#1693 Bing147

Bing147

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:49 PM

Today I got Wario World, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat and a Zelda Wind Waker for 4.99 each. Wind Waker will make me my money back and then some. Also have an extra Luigi's Mansion and Mario Sunshine... may have to flip those 3 quick and make a nice chunk of money. I figure the 3 will get me a third of the way to a Panzer Dragoon Saga I'm saving for...
www.vg-force.com

#1694 NzumbeKiller

NzumbeKiller

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:01 AM

Went to a local goodwill recently and found this:
Posted Image
A jukebox that fits on your chest! It plays cd's, radio stations, and you can hook your iPod into it. Found it plugged into an outlet, which didn't work and I am guessing that is why it was still there. Luckily the person plugged it in thinking it didn't work or I probably wouldn't have gotten it. Looked it up online and the retailer had them for 150+, paid $10.

#1695 Olengie

Olengie

Yukari & Rise are the Best Girls.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:03 AM

Posted Image
A jukebox that fits on your chest! It plays cd's, radio stations, and you can hook your iPod into it. Found it plugged into an outlet, which didn't work and I am guessing that is why it was still there. Luckily the person plugged it in thinking it didn't work or I probably wouldn't have gotten it. Looked it up online and the retailer had them for 150+, paid $10.

Awesome find man! :lol:

gallery_349297_8234_6637.jpg

Designed By Lilchiji

Spoiler

Spoiler

#1696 Doomstink

Doomstink

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:29 AM

I figure the 3 will get me a third of the way to a Panzer Dragoon Saga I'm saving for...

While PDS is an absolutely phenomenal game, keep in mind that it is only around 15 hours long. The short length makes that $300 price tag hurt a little more. I'm thankful that I bought my copy back when Bing was offering 50% cashback on eBay purchases... otherwise I'd probably be bitter about the length.

#1697 spmahn

spmahn

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:04 AM

Savers is a mixed bag. My local stores ship stuff in. This means you usually see something... but it can be very random. They might have 6 systems but no games... this is common. Prices usually stink but they have their moments...

Savers is way more miss than hit, but when you do hit, it's usually a good one. I'd say for every 10 times I stop in there, I might find something worth buying once, and as noted their prices are totally inconsistant and usually laughably high. I've found valuable games there for $3, and seen crap sports games sit on the shelf for months because they put a $6 price tag on it. Generally Consoles will be very unreasonably prices, regardless of whether they come with wire and / or controllers, seeing junk like a console only PS1 or XBox with a sticker on it for $30 or more is a very frequent occurrence.

Anyone else notice the quality of the finds at the thrifts has taken a sharp decline over the last couple of months? Even this thread used to be one of the busiest on this board and now it's very slow. I make the rounds to Goodwill and Savers now once a week, but other than a copy of Monster Rancher 2 for PS1 for $3 and the Star Wars Ewoks movie for for $2, both of which I flipped for $30 each, I rarely find anything anymore.

#1698 MortalKombat2007

MortalKombat2007

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:55 AM

Pikmin 1 & 2

1.99 each at Goodwill. I jumped at the opportunity knowing how valuable the second game is on the Gamecube.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#1699 spmahn

spmahn

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:30 PM

I love it, I'm ragging on Goodwill one day, then I find a Target returned copy of Halo 4 for $25 the next. I passed on Target returned copies of Super Mario 3D Land, New Super Mario Bros 2, and Pokemon Black 2 for $15 each. I probably could have flipped Pokemon for a decent amount, but oh well. I also found 4 old WWF Jakks Accessory packs still mint on card for $5 each, I shouldn't have trouble getting $25 - $30 each for them. I guess you just need to be at the right place at the right time.

#1700 Josh1billion

Josh1billion

日本語の学生

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

Just picked up Fear Effect (PS1) in like-new condition for $3.99 at PawnAmerica. Not a single scratch on the discs/case; looks like the previous owner takes even better care of his games than I do mine.

Josh1billion.png

Random Garfield - comic generator

Thumb socks? More like penis hoodies...  :D/

#1701 coolsteel

coolsteel

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:01 PM

Posted Image

:lol: I owned the previous version that took cassettes !

#1702 Peep

Peep

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

Picked up SMB 3, Bubble Bobble (not 2, awwww,), and Mickey Mousecapade all CIB and for a whopping $3 total. Woohoo!

#1703 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:18 PM

I love it, I'm ragging on Goodwill one day, then I find a Target returned copy of Halo 4 for $25 the next. I passed on Target returned copies of Super Mario 3D Land, New Super Mario Bros 2, and Pokemon Black 2 for $15 each. I probably could have flipped Pokemon for a decent amount, but oh well. I also found 4 old WWF Jakks Accessory packs still mint on card for $5 each, I shouldn't have trouble getting $25 - $30 each for them. I guess you just need to be at the right place at the right time.

Damnit, I've been looking for a cheap copy of NSMB2. :cry:

#1704 Danger Zone: Archer

Danger Zone: Archer

Not really here.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:19 PM

does anyone know a good thrift store in the LA area?

#1705 Peep

Peep

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:01 PM

More than you could count. Do a google search

#1706 wheels

wheels

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:04 PM

I stopped by a goodwill today just cuz i was shopping nearby and found these

Zelda Skyward Sword $15 complete and the Club Nintendo point code was unused
Ps2 adapter $5
Dracula game $4

Posted Image

Hopefully I can flip the adapter and make back part of what I spent on the other 2 games.

#1707 juangrande386

juangrande386

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:57 AM

My local Goodwill just let me down big time today, in the glass case they had 2 VHS copies of The Little Mermaid for....$28! and $15! I asked what the deal was and she said "they looked those up on Ebay, they have the "banned original cover"". I didnt see what she was talking about till she pointed it out, part of the castle looks like a d1ck. They even had the price tag over it like it was obvious! I said "who is going to pay $28 let alone $15 for an old VHS??"

Looked it up later and there was plenty of $10 copies that didnt sell. They obviously scrolled down and saw the Buy It Now one that sold for $25 with $3 shipping and think theyll get that. This pretty much cemented my belief that they started looking up more stuff than just glassware like before.

http://mbsy.co/lootcrate/8401525 Loot Crate (Get boxes of tech/gamer/nerd stuff delievered every month)

http://www.ebates.co...TvZAODnfHwJLg== Earn Cash Back on shopping sites

http://sensor2.suite...S=1&RPID=282220 Tango Giftcards for running an app

Earn giftcards for Amazon and other places by clicking the referral links. Help a brother out while youre at it :)

#1708 dergatron9000

dergatron9000

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:35 AM

I found a Sega Saturn with virtua cop 1 & 2, daytona usa, andretti racing & a demo sampler, with 2 controllers at my local Salvation Army thrift store for $20 it was missing the video cable but i bought it and it works just fine. SCORE!
At Value Village i found a sega genesis 32 game thing you hook up to your tv for $7.

Edited by dergatron9000, 24 December 2012 - 06:47 AM.

#1709 Elusive

Elusive

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:25 PM

My local Goodwill just let me down big time today, in the glass case they had 2 VHS copies of The Little Mermaid for....$28! and $15! I asked what the deal was and she said "they looked those up on Ebay, they have the "banned original cover"". I didnt see what she was talking about till she pointed it out, part of the castle looks like a d1ck. They even had the price tag over it like it was obvious! I said "who is going to pay $28 let alone $15 for an old VHS??"

Looked it up later and there was plenty of $10 copies that didnt sell. They obviously scrolled down and saw the Buy It Now one that sold for $25 with $3 shipping and think theyll get that. This pretty much cemented my belief that they started looking up more stuff than just glassware like before.

Pricing like that seems to contradict what makes a thrift store a thrift store in the first place (or at least what I thought a thrift store was supposed to be). The Goodwill I go to doesn't seem to be much better, either, and they've had copies of DJ Hero that they probably got from the nearby Target for well over a year now, and they're still expecting over $30 for them. It's crazy.

Only decent deal I ever got out of them was a copy of FFX for $3.50 and FFXII for $2.50 (although both cases were dirty - eugh).

#1710 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

Went to a Good Will the other day and they had some expensive acoustic guitar in the case. They actually taped a printed out eBay Buy It Now listing that had the guitar for $400 to it to justify the $300+ price tag they put on it.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.