Thrift Store Thread 2012

• Please log in to reply
1731 replies to this topic

#1711 TheHeef

TheHeef

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:01 PM

My local Goodwill just let me down big time today, in the glass case they had 2 VHS copies of The Little Mermaid for....$28! and $15! I asked what the deal was and she said "they looked those up on Ebay, they have the "banned original cover"". I didnt see what she was talking about till she pointed it out, part of the castle looks like a d1ck. They even had the price tag over it like it was obvious! I said "who is going to pay $28 let alone $15 for an old VHS??"

Looked it up later and there was plenty of $10 copies that didnt sell. They obviously scrolled down and saw the Buy It Now one that sold for $25 with $3 shipping and think theyll get that. This pretty much cemented my belief that they started looking up more stuff than just glassware like before.

Stuff like that is why I started a Thrift Store Stupidity thread. I've pretty much written off GW after hearing about shopgoodwill.com, for games at least.

#1712 robwhois

robwhois

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:24 AM

Savers is way more miss than hit, but when you do hit, it's usually a good one. I'd say for every 10 times I stop in there, I might find something worth buying once, and as noted their prices are totally inconsistant and usually laughably high. I've found valuable games there for $3, and seen crap sports games sit on the shelf for months because they put a $6 price tag on it. Generally Consoles will be very unreasonably prices, regardless of whether they come with wire and / or controllers, seeing junk like a console only PS1 or XBox with a sticker on it for $30 or more is a very frequent occurrence.

Anyone else notice the quality of the finds at the thrifts has taken a sharp decline over the last couple of months? Even this thread used to be one of the busiest on this board and now it's very slow. I make the rounds to Goodwill and Savers now once a week, but other than a copy of Monster Rancher 2 for PS1 for $3 and the Star Wars Ewoks movie for for $2, both of which I flipped for $30 each, I rarely find anything anymore.

I have definitely found alot less lately(the last few months) then i did in the beginning of the year. Seems they found out the some of these games are worth some money, so they jacked up the prices on everything.

#1713 lude21

lude21

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:54 AM

Tomba $3.99 (2nd one this month)

Official SEALED NES controller 2pack still with hang tab $5.99. I almost flipped when I saw this :)

#1714 highoffcoffee496

highoffcoffee496

I gotta believe!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:03 AM

Tomba $3.99 (2nd one this month)

Official SEALED NES controller 2pack still with hang tab $5.99. I almost flipped when I saw this :)

Hey ur in PA too!
Any advice on where to go? (if you don't mind haha)
I've tried 3 Goodwills and they have all been ridiculous (ex: $100 for an NES and $40 for an original xbox with no cords or controller) :wall:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Posted Image

#1715 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:16 PM

I have definitely found alot less lately(the last few months) then i did in the beginning of the year. Seems they found out the some of these games are worth some money, so they jacked up the prices on everything.

Yup at my local store they mark up everything I have bought in the past anywhere from 2x to 15x more expensive. I used to go every day they stocked, now I only go 1 per week.

#1716 lude21

lude21

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:26 PM

Hey ur in PA too!
I've tried 3 Goodwills and they have all been ridiculous (ex: $100 for an NES and $40 for an original xbox with no cords or controller) :wall:

I have 2 goodwills close to me that I hit. Best advice is to go every day. A couple more finds from the other day.

Zelda wind waker $4.99 CIB mint
Guncon 3 $3.99

#1717 DNukem170

DNukem170

Dance like you want to win, Gundam!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:43 AM

Decided to stop into Value Village on a whim today and picked up Lakers Complete History, Smallville Seasons 4 and 5 sealed, Peanuts Christmas Special, Little Mermaid 2-disc DVD, and Cinderella Platinum collection.

#1718 MasaTFC

MasaTFC

Germany 2014 FIFA World Cup Champions!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:47 AM

Hey ur in PA too!

don't know what part of PA you are from, but we have a store in Pitt called Red White and Blue. Good finds there quite often. For example, last saturday I got

Pokemon Blue
Pokemon Yellow
Call of Duty Black OPs guide
Gamecube System (no controllers or cords but did have a copy of Cars inside)
Marble Madness NES

For a little under 20 bucks (19.73 with tax I think).

"The Absence of Evidence Is Not The Evidence of Absence"

Trading 360 Games for PS3 Versions/Other PS3 Games

#1719 MasaTFC

MasaTFC

Germany 2014 FIFA World Cup Champions!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:51 AM

Man, I haven't been to a Red White and Blue in at least a year. Any good finds were few and far between, and didn't justify the drive from Irwin/Murrysville.

Last time I was there, I picked up a 3DO, and it was broken. But it came with a ton of good games, including "Plumbers Don't Wear Ties" which more than paid for the entire purchase.

the last month or so hasn't been too bad. Nothing really fantastic till last saturday with the pokemon games though. Was really excited when I saw a copy of Deadly Creatures for Wii and then really pissed off when I opened it up and saw nothing was inside.

I would have jumped on that 3DO too, even without that game lol.;)

"The Absence of Evidence Is Not The Evidence of Absence"

Trading 360 Games for PS3 Versions/Other PS3 Games

#1720 highoffcoffee496

highoffcoffee496

I gotta believe!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:04 AM

I have 2 goodwills close to me that I hit. Best advice is to go every day. A couple more finds from the other day.

Guncon 3 $3.99

...dude you are so lucky lol. The best I've ever gotten from my Goodwill was a Dreamcast for $20 and a few Mario Gamecube games for $4 each.
Do you know if Goodwill adds items daily? Or only on certain days of the week?
(\__/)
(='.'=)

Posted Image

#1721 highoffcoffee496

highoffcoffee496

I gotta believe!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:08 AM

don't know what part of PA you are from, but we have a store in Pitt called Red White and Blue. Good finds there quite often. For example, last saturday I got

Pokemon Blue
Pokemon Yellow
Call of Duty Black OPs guide
Gamecube System (no controllers or cords but did have a copy of Cars inside)
Marble Madness NES

For a little under 20 bucks (19.73 with tax I think).

I'm in Central PA near Penn State. I've been to so many garage sales here and I've been to Goodwill more times than I can count... there's never anything:lol:
Good for you though maybe I'll get lucky eventually haha
(\__/)
(='.'=)

Posted Image

#1722 The Holy Pretzle

The Holy Pretzle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:16 PM

Not really a thrift store, but the Pawn Shop thread seems to be gone.

Walked in and looked through a few things and noticed Ju-On The Grudge for the Wii, I was pretty sure it was worth something so I called up my brother, and this thing happens to be worth about $40-$50, so I snatched it up! Price was $14 but asked if they could do $10 out the door, which they did.

Getting harder and harder to find good deals and flips at Pawn Shops, as they've taken to checking GameStop and eBay for their prices :drool:

#1723 spmahn

spmahn

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:20 AM

Guncon 3 $3.99

Maybe your local Goodwill restocks every day, but here doing that would be a waste of time. Go once a week on Wednesday when the Target stuff gets put out. Otherwise, you're just wasting time and gas.

#1724 Olengie

Olengie

Rise is Best Girl.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:58 AM

Not really a thrift store, but the Pawn Shop thread seems to be gone.

Walked in and looked through a few things and noticed Ju-On The Grudge for the Wii, I was pretty sure it was worth something so I called up my brother, and this thing happens to be worth about $40-$50, so I snatched it up! Price was $14 but asked if they could do $10 out the door, which they did.

Getting harder and harder to find good deals and flips at Pawn Shops, as they've taken to checking GameStop and eBay for their prices :drool:

I wouldn't say dead. No one hasn't really posted in a while.

Anyways. Nice pick up on the Grudge! Been looking for that for a while now, and no luck on that. :/

gallery_349297_8234_6637.jpg

Designed By Lilchiji

Spoiler

Spoiler

#1725 faa8146

faa8146

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:10 AM

Spoiler

Just found Air Ride & BL Wind Waker tonight for $5 each. Going back tomorrow morning to pick up Fire Emblem PoR and Pokemon XD, wasn't sure they were worth anything. I really need to brush up on my Gamecube knowledge.

Everything else was random other trips during December. $4 each for the games & wavebirds, which didn't come with receivers, but work. Going to keep most of it, probably flip Kirby and GH Wind Waker to pay for the rest.

Looks like it's time for someone to make a 2013 thread, too.

#1726 Olengie

Olengie

Rise is Best Girl.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:07 AM

Spoiler

Just found Air Ride & BL Wind Waker tonight for $5 each. Going back tomorrow morning to pick up Fire Emblem PoR and Pokemon XD, wasn't sure they were worth anything. I really need to brush up on my Gamecube knowledge.

Everything else was random other trips during December. $4 each for the games & wavebirds, which didn't come with receivers, but work. Going to keep most of it, probably flip Kirby and GH Wind Waker to pay for the rest.

Looks like it's time for someone to make a 2013 thread, too.

Fire Emblem PoR is going pretty high right now.

gallery_349297_8234_6637.jpg

Designed By Lilchiji

Spoiler

Spoiler

#1727 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:11 AM

I had no idea Fire Emblem was going for much now. I got it a few months ago at a flea market for about 15.

#1728 lude21

lude21

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:06 AM

Maybe your local Goodwill restocks every day, but here doing that would be a waste of time. Go once a week on Wednesday when the Target stuff gets put out. Otherwise, you're just wasting time and gas.

My goodwill puts new stuff out every day, they are always bringing carts out from the back multiple times a day. I figured all GW's were like that. Btw found this gem the other day-

Cirque Du soleil 12 disc collection for $1.99

Nice little flip right there :)

#1729 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

I've never been to a Good Will that isn't putting out new items all day, every day. They pretty much have to since the donation rooms are usually packed full.

#1730 DNukem170

DNukem170

Dance like you want to win, Gundam!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

Monday I picked up Smallville Seasons 4 and 5 sealed, Ninja Ressurection, Peanuts Xmas Special, Little Mermaid Platinum Edition, Cinderella Platinum Edition, and Los Angeles Lakers Complete History.

#1731 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

Hit Goodwill for day one of the new year and had a decent day. I found a TON of plush, new with tags, most of which should sell pretty quickly. I also found a near mint copy of The Hobbit (the original animated film) on DVD. Cheapest price on Amazon is $35, and it should sell fairly quick. The only thing that sucks is my GW raised their DVDs back up to $3.

I also picked up Ghost Hunters Season One and an odd copy of Ghost in the Shell DVD. The case is clear and the insert is the double-sided white hair version, and the disc itself is region free. It looks way too good to be pirated, but maybe an import or something.

Posted Image

Bored? Too much money than you know what to do with? Why not check out my Amazon Storefront? If you see anything you want, send me a PM! Make an offer, either monetary or trade! Over 2000 items, and more added daily!

#1732 yourlefthand

yourlefthand

Daddy Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

started a new thread here: http://www.cheapassg....php?p=10349434