Photo
- - - - -

Thrift Store Thread 2012

• Please log in to reply
1731 replies to this topic

#181 wheels

wheels

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:34 AM

same thing happens at the goodwills i go to they stack shit so you cant see what the games are.

I found a couple things for my NES collection yesterday
NES power adapter $3
Ninja Kid NES CIB $4
Rampage NES $4

One shop i went o had a virtual boy with a couple games for $100, hopefully i can get that on a discount day

#182 spmahn

spmahn

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:20 AM

One shop i went o had a virtual boy with a couple games for $100, hopefully i can get that on a discount day

Make sure it's a very big discount day. Any more than $25 would be a rip off. I remember when stores were giving away Virtual Boys brand new for 20 bucks.

#183 wheels

wheels

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:44 AM

for sure. my number is $30 and under for it.

#184 Angry Man

Angry Man

REV-OH-LU-TION!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:05 AM

Make sure it's a very big discount day. Any more than $25 would be a rip off. I remember when stores were giving away Virtual Boys brand new for 20 bucks.

Heck I remember Toys R Us selling it with I believe six games for $30 just trying to get rid of them. I wouldn't be shocked if there's still a few sitting in their warehouse.

New sig coming soon.

#185 Theenternal

Theenternal

CAG got me pregnant

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:43 PM

I bought my virtual boy for 20 at clearance, got bored and then traded it for a 13" tv so I watch tv and play games at the same time. I thought it was a pimp move... I wish I never made that trade :P.

I did pick up a virtual boy with six games off 35 ebay though last summer via early morning discount but its still pretty boring.. I wonder if I can trade it for a tv
Posted Image
http://www.grapplemo...yevtakayama.gif

Removed IMG tags due to sig guideline violations.

#186 ChunLiBarbie

ChunLiBarbie

Bloogablogglefliddlemliddle

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:41 PM

Interesting... Haven't heard of this Virtual Boy(till now) or Flashboy(till YouTube).

"If you learn how to center yourself, no one can knock you off balance." - Tony Robbins

Because miserable people want others to feel miserable.

Currently Playing: Block_Super_Mario_World.pngSUPER MARIO 3D WORLD!!!!!!!!!!! OMFGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :dunce:  :whee:  Block_Super_Mario_World.png

#187 juangrande386

juangrande386

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:51 PM

Couple rare misses for my favorite GW. Passed on,

$30 for a dirty phat PS2 with cables, no controllers- Same place I bought a slim PS2 for $5 so idk where that price came from.

$20 for a 8MB PS2 memory- brand new but still $20 can get you 4GB cards (not PS2 obviously) these days.

http://www.ebates.co...TvZAODnfHwJLg==

https://www.plink.co...496565/aid/1264

http://sensor2.suite...S=1&RPID=282220 Tango Giftcards

Earn giftcards for Amazon and other places by clicking the referral links. Help a brother out while youre at it :)

#188 Rexall

Rexall

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:56 AM

Went to one of those trading barrack places that mostly sell electronics. Got a handful of PS2 games for about $5 each

Grandia 2
Jet Li's Rise to Honor
Okage Shadow King
Okami
Rogue Galaxy (sealed)
Mana Khemia -Alchemists of Al-Revis
Metal Gear Solid (Repackage Edition)
Inu Yasha Feudal Conflict
Dragon Quest 8
Zone of Enders
The Summoner
Eternal Ring

All in original covers, instruction manuals. Outside of some dust, they're all in great condition

#189 spmahn

spmahn

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:01 AM

Not much of anything at the Thrifts today. Picked up Apocalypse and Spider-Man GH for PS1 for $1.99 each at Savers and Iron Man on Blu-Ray at Salvation army for $2

#190 DeadStranger

DeadStranger

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:20 AM

Spoiler

Spoiler

Laserdiscs were $3 a piece, which is probably more than I should have spent but they're sealed so I figured I might as well go for it. Batman The Animated Series Collectors Edition "The Trials of Harvey Dent" sealed payed $1. Also got a copy of FF IX not in bad shape but missing manual paid a $1.

#191 Survivalism

Survivalism

CAG's Lance Boyle

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:58 AM

God Laserdiscs are awesome.
[URL="http://gamercards.exophase.com/psn/user/theunvisible/"]Posted Image[/URL]

Spoiler

#192 spmahn

spmahn

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:29 AM

It's funny, I see Laserdiscs all the time, but in all these years I've never seen the player. Same thing with Betamax, although I see Beta tapes much less often than Laseriscs.

#193 TheHelix

TheHelix

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:44 PM

I got Star Wars Dark Forces (PS1) for $2.50. There was also a Crash Bandicoot I wanted but someone stole the disc =(

I also got talking Dug plushie for $5, which I though was a good deal considering how much this stuff is priced at Disneyland.

#194 Floopy

Floopy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:58 PM

I've had some good luck lately visiting some local Goodwills/private thrift shops in my area. I spend roughly 3 or 4 hours a week doing it, and tend to get good results fairly often. These pics comprise my finds from roughly the past 3 weeks or so (and roughly a dozen trips to various thrifts).

Posted Image

I paid between $4 and $6 for all of the Xbox/PS2/Gamecube/DS games. Highlights include a black label copy of Pikmin 2, which I found at an out-of-the way Goodwill. Workers there said a woman had cleaned out a bunch of Gamecube games an hour prior. Ironically, she probably missed the most valuable game in the lot. Paid $5 for it. Also found Phantasy Star Online, Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, Mario Kart: Double Dash, and Star Wars Battlefront I and II for $6 each from a local thrift. Every game pictured was complete and in solid shape, some were even minty. Kept Mario Kart, Phantasy Star, Jedi Knight, and will flip the rest.

Posted Image

Paid $1 each for most of the PC/PS1 games pictured here, but did pay $4 each for Mega Man Legends and Monster Rancher 2. Duke Nukem CIB was $7, and the N64 and SNES controller were $3 each (both in great shape). Luigi's Mansion guide was 50 cents. Japanese PSP game AI Go was $5. Pokemon Gold (still saves) was $6. Highlight here is Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis for PC, worth about $50. Keeping Duke Nukem, since there is a special little corner in my heart for CIB SNES/N64 games. Did not picture a copy of Legend of Legaia for PS1 (purchased for $4), since I already sold it.

Overall, I hit 2 of my main stores about 3 times per week in the evening, and then just try to check in on various Goodwills/thrifts if I happen to be in the area. I use a smartphone (which I did not purchase just for game hunting) to look up the odd title that I'm not sure about, but at this point I look at 95% of titles and know whether or not it's a winner at a given price point. Definitely takes time to build up that level of knowledge, though. I have a decent job, and do all of this because I enjoy the thrill of the hunt. Good luck!

Edited by Floopy, 05 February 2012 - 05:09 PM.

#195 Dokstarr

Dokstarr

Tap, Snap or Nap

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:34 PM

I picked up a FX Schmid 5000 piece puzzle that was new for 7 bucks. I was thinking about doing it, but then I think maybe I will just sell it since I should be able to probably get 50 - 70 for it. It seemed like doing it was a good idea at the time, but the box is heavy and I hear all those puzzle pieces inside bouncing around and its like 5 x 6 ft or something. This is from a few months back but I picked up a new Munchkin Cthulu for 5 bucks. I love Lovecraft and Cthulu so I thought I'd get it and play it, but I have nobody to play it with, so I'm just probably gonna sell it then.

#196 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:58 AM

I picked up a FX Schmid 5000 piece puzzle that was new for 7 bucks. I was thinking about doing it, but then I think maybe I will just sell it since I should be able to probably get 50 - 70 for it. It seemed like doing it was a good idea at the time, but the box is heavy and I hear all those puzzle pieces inside bouncing around and its like 5 x 6 ft or something. This is from a few months back but I picked up a new Munchkin Cthulu for 5 bucks. I love Lovecraft and Cthulu so I thought I'd get it and play it, but I have nobody to play it with, so I'm just probably gonna sell it then.

I've got a couple of sealed fx schmid puzzles at garage sales. Where do you sell them? On amazon, ebay, or is there some better place?

#197 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:21 AM

I've had some good luck lately visiting some local Goodwills/private thrift shops in my area. I spend roughly 3 or 4 hours a week doing it, and tend to get good results fairly often. These pics comprise my finds from roughly the past 3 weeks or so (and roughly a dozen trips to various thrifts).

Posted Image

I paid between $4 and $6 for all of the Xbox/PS2/Gamecube/DS games. Highlights include a black label copy of Pikmin 2, which I found at an out-of-the way Goodwill. Workers there said a woman had cleaned out a bunch of Gamecube games an hour prior. Ironically, she probably missed the most valuable game in the lot. Paid $5 for it. Also found Phantasy Star Online, Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, Mario Kart: Double Dash, and Star Wars Battlefront I and II for $6 each from a local thrift. Every game pictured was complete and in solid shape, some were even minty. Kept Mario Kart, Phantasy Star, Jedi Knight, and will flip the rest.!

I'm still kicking myself from a couple of years ago when the one local FYE was clearing out their Xbox titles and they had MULTIPLE copies of :xbox:Morrowind: GOTY sitting in a big cardboard bin. They sat there forever and just when I decided to grab them they finally disappeared. The final cost after all discounts would've been $5 a copy.:bomb:

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#198 Dokstarr

Dokstarr

Tap, Snap or Nap

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:11 AM

I've got a couple of sealed fx schmid puzzles at garage sales. Where do you sell them? On amazon, ebay, or is there some better place?

I 99% of the time stick with eBay for things. I just post it up and let it sit there (I like it better because you can make yours stick out easier than on Amazon).

I've seen the same Schmid puzzle sell for 25 to 100 (http://www.ebay.com/...=item19cbdb42cf)

I have a different one that I haven't seen sold for a while, so I tossed it up for a high price and will just wait it out. I researched and saw it sold for like 75 a year ago.

It seems with the puzzles it depends on the # of pieces and what the puzzle is off. Puppies won't fetch much, but probably one of Christ the Redeemer or something would go for a good penny.

I honestly didn't think I was gonna be able to get a lot for it when I picked it up, just sort of grabbed it on a whim and decided I might as well sell it.

#199 merchie89

merchie89

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:48 PM

Gosh dang goodwill! stopped by and was pretty excited about picking up a copy of Old Republic 2 for Xbox for 3.99....we open it at check out and BAM! its some stupid gladiator game disc not OR2. Trying to pull a fast one on my goodwill not cool
(Actual register date 3/3/2009, not sure why I switched accounts)

#200 TheBigAndy

TheBigAndy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:14 PM

I got a copy of Resident Evil 2 for Gamecube yesterday (disc and manual only) for $3.99. If I sell it on ebay, do you guys think it is worth printing out a box art on photo paper (I have my mint copy so it wouldnt be too hard) and just state that its reprinted in the auction?

#201 TheHelix

TheHelix

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:00 AM

Got Mechwarrior 3, 3D Ultra Pinball Creep Night, and First to Fight all for $1 each. First to Fight is strange. It's a substance abuse program and a game for the Marines? It even says internal marine use only on the front cover.

#202 Doomstink

Doomstink

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:52 AM

First to Fight is strange. It's a substance abuse program and a game for the Marines? It even says internal marine use only on the front cover.

Yeah, they made two versions of the game - a military version and a public consumption version. The developer of the game was actually located in my area - when they went out of business I was able to dig through their offices and found several hundred copies of the internal use only version (as well as several hundred copies of the First to Fight/Starship Troopers double pack). Had no idea it existed until then.

#203 DeadStranger

DeadStranger

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:03 AM

Got a copy of Super Mario 64 for $1.99 at goodwill and a wireless 360 controller for 10 bucks at some random thrift store I stopped at.

#204 lude21

lude21

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:46 AM

Grabbed these today-

Mario golf n64 $2.99
Pokemon puzzle league n64 $2.99

Almost left them, but decided I might as well since they were in great shape. I'll bring em to my local fleamarket dude. He will give me $15-$20 for em. I love that guy,lol.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#205 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:29 PM

Got pretty lucky today. We had an appointment this morning, and weren't even going to stop at GW, but decided to anyways. It just so happened that right when we were walking in, my yard sale nemesis pulled into the parking lot, so I hurried and did a videogame scan/walkthrough. What would immediately catch my eye? A gold box, containing a gold cartridge. A complete, good condition copy of Legend of Zelda NES. Cart is mint, although the map and manual are worn a bit. The box has a little wear, and is missing a side flap, but is overall in good condition. It even still had the styrofoam spacer in the bottom.

When we were done, we went up to the register and the manager was running it, someone I've become pretty good friends with. He looked at it and asked what it is, I told him it's a video game and he looked and saw it had blank price tags (meaning it should be $3). He looks and says it has no price, and then says, how does $1.50 sound to you? No objections there!

No do I keep it or flip it? That is the question...

Bored? Too much money than you know what to do with? Why not check out my Amazon Storefront? If you see anything you want, send me a PM! Make an offer, either monetary or trade! Over 2000 items, and more added daily!

#206 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:54 PM

Got pretty lucky today. We had an appointment this morning, and weren't even going to stop at GW, but decided to anyways. It just so happened that right when we were walking in, my yard sale nemesis pulled into the parking lot, so I hurried and did a videogame scan/walkthrough. What would immediately catch my eye? A gold box, containing a gold cartridge. A complete, good condition copy of Legend of Zelda NES. Cart is mint, although the map and manual are worn a bit. The box has a little wear, and is missing a side flap, but is overall in good condition. It even still had the styrofoam spacer in the bottom.

When we were done, we went up to the register and the manager was running it, someone I've become pretty good friends with. He looked at it and asked what it is, I told him it's a video game and he looked and saw it had blank price tags (meaning it should be $3). He looks and says it has no price, and then says, how does $1.50 sound to you? No objections there!

keep it. At our GW/SA/thrifts if there is no price, they will not let you buy the item.

#207 TiKi2

TiKi2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:03 PM

Fuck it

Edited by TiKi2, 09 February 2012 - 12:00 AM.

#208 TheAngryCAG

TheAngryCAG

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:01 PM

Stopped in my local savers today. Picked up a copy of Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee & Project Gotham Racing for the XBOX for $3.99 each, they were both original releases, not platinum hits and Brand New and Sealed. Also Picked up a Dreamcast with all the wires and 2 controllers for $9.99, gotta test it out.

#209 NSpectreGarrus

NSpectreGarrus

CAGosaurus Rex!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:56 PM

Stopped in my local savers today. Picked up a copy of Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee & Project Gotham Racing for the XBOX for $3.99 each, they were both original releases, not platinum hits and Brand New and Sealed. Also Picked up a Dreamcast with all the wires and 2 controllers for $9.99, gotta test it out.

I'm pretty jealous of you Dreamcast find. I've been looking to pick one up for a couple years now at yard sales/Goodwills/etc. Cheapest I've seen is a used game store has system w/one controller for $30. I really hope I can find cheaper, or with games.

Posted Image

#210 schuerm26

schuerm26

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:00 AM

Just me but I would flip it. I would assume flipping that could get you the Zelda collector's edition for the gamecube for basically $1.50 if you really want Zelda.