Used Playstation 2 systems $29.99 and $39.99

I have a fatty and a slim jps2 right now. I'm hoping the slims hit $20 at some point just to have a backup us console.

I cant believe how many PS2 games you can buy for $2.99 or less. You can easily buy a fatty PS2 with 30 games for less than $100. That can make someone with a very low budget extremely happy (those making minimum wage).

[quote name='luettke10']They have been at these prices for a few weeks.[/QUOTE]

They haven't. A few weeks ago the slim was 49.99 and the original 39.99, down from 59.99 and 49.99 respectively. This just happened today cause I went to check on the PS2 prices yesterday and they were 49.99 and 59.99

[quote name='Brother Daz']Seriously??[/QUOTE]
Well, maybe that person is only around 5 years old and missed out on the PS2 era. He must be new to video games.

If you're gonna buy your first one, I'd go with the old model. The slim is nicer aesthetically, but it's near impossible to break those old ones. I bought mines a few months after launch and sold it less than a year ago in perfect working condition. That's about 10 years

the slims with some simple tomfoolery can play imports, while the fats require a swap disk. In case it matters to anyone.

I got a quick question. Are component cables worth it for the PS2? When i had my old one it was on an old tube TV, but now I don't have one in the house, just LCDs or Plasmas. And I heard PS2's can look a bit bad on LCDs. So are component cables worth it?

[quote name='JP73']I got a quick question. Are component cables worth it for the PS2? When i had my old one it was on an old tube TV, but now I don't have one in the house, just LCDs or Plasmas. And I heard PS2's can look a bit bad on LCDs. So are component cables worth it?[/QUOTE]

They do improve the clarity in the picture but also bring out a bunch of jaggies. I would look around online and if they are around $5 then it would be worth it.

I bought my original fat 30001R PS2 back in jan 2002 (Happy 10th Birthday PS2) and I love it and still play it most everyday. I have collected a huge amount of games for it over the years and am currently playing through shadow of the collosus. I can't recommend this system highly enough and tons of great cheap games and this coming from someone with all the new and old consoles the PS2 is still the best system ever known to man or alien.

[quote name='Brother Daz']Seriously??[/QUOTE]

[quote name='neuropunk']Well, maybe that person is only around 5 years old and missed out on the PS2 era. He must be new to video games.[/QUOTE]

Funny, funny, funny.

I got a Gamecube early on last gen. My parents wouldn't buy another console and, since last gen came to a close when I was entering high school, I didn't have a job or any way to buy one for myself.

I've thought about buying a cheap used one since they went below 50 bucks but never actually do it because I already have a 90+game backlog.

[quote name='JP73']They haven't. A few weeks ago the slim was 49.99 and the original 39.99, down from 59.99 and 49.99 respectively. This just happened today cause I went to check on the PS2 prices yesterday and they were 49.99 and 59.99[/QUOTE]

Perhaps the store(s) around you didn't change the price until today. I know the price drop has been in effect since at least last week because that's when I checked both online and in store and managed to snag up a silver slim for $39.99.

Word to the wise though, if you're looking for a specific model number (i.e. for homebrew purposes, wanting the latest model number, etc.) and the GameStops around your area are anything like the one I went to, they don't have it on the outside of the box (nor the color for that matter). They didn't even have the serial number on the box, which according to the employee at the store I went to, they should have since a sticker is printed automatically by the system for them to affix to the box.

I recommend that if you want to see the system beforehand for model number/condition/color, if possible go in the morning when they open and have few if any customers.

So this is a permanent price drop and not a temporary sale? On the site, the higher prices appear with red lines through them, which made me wonder.

I still have my original phat PS2 from 2001. Still works like a champ and reads everything. Probably because I had a modchip since 2002 and moved to HDLoader a few years after that. I don't even own any real PS2 games anymore.

they have been these prices for a few weeks, I check the price drops on their every couple days and remember seeing them at these prices for awhile. still waiting on another drop, or might grab one of the PUR coupons for $10 off used ps2 to sweeten the deal

I gave my nephew my ps2 and xbox1 and always regreted it. I kept my games a memory card just incase for when I bought my ps3. I may have to go pick this up just so I can play ssx3 and vice city.!

Anyone know if these qualify for when they have b2g2 free sales? I know the sign says "Any PS2 product". Not that I need 4 PS2s, but it would be a good way to get a free one after reselling the others.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']... I already have a 90+game backlog.[/QUOTE]

Amateur. Don't worry, you'll catch up in no time if you hang around here.

oddly enough, I never owned a PS2 either. I had a strange childhood. My uncle first bought me the original xbox. a year later another uncle bought me a ps1 slim (i know weird). And then a year or two later when my parents were about to buy me a ps2 I threw up at gamestop 9 i was feeling sick) and then my dad got pissed and didn't buy anything. Maybe it's finally time to buy one?

I bought one at launch, and it died 8 months later when it wouldn't read any discs. Never bought another one, but might now to play Fire Pro and some of the old Wrestle Kingdom games.

[quote name='david12795']in stores as well? i may have to stop by![/QUOTE]

Yes, it's actually been this price for at least a week, maybe longer.

[quote name='luettke10']They do improve the clarity in the picture but also bring out a bunch of jaggies. I would look around online and if they are around $5 then it would be worth it.[/QUOTE]

Ha, I just started using a component cable earlier this evening and immediately noticed the jaggies you mentioned. The picture is clearer, but the jaggies really got my attention. Glad to hear that it's not just me that noticed. I picked mine up on Amazon for just around $5 or $6. Also picked up a couple of storage cards for under $10.

BTW: The slim model is really small and fits nicely on my desk, connected to my monitor's component inputs and the speaker attached to the monitor. Quite happy with the setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not odd that a person hasn't owned a PS2(I have all 3) or PlayStation, for that matter. Just like it's not odd that not everyone has an Xbox(especially one of those hideous green and white ones!).

And. it's amazing how someone can post a good deal and others come along and say it's 'old news's, but haven't posted it!

Good deal, op!

Good deal OP. Gonna have to pick up a slim Friday. There's been a good bit of games I've wanted to play on PS2 but I haven't had one in about 7 years.

[quote name='The Linguist']So this is a permanent price drop and not a temporary sale? On the site, the higher prices appear with red lines through them, which made me wonder.[/QUOTE]

They drop down to this price about once a year when their PS2 inventory gets too high. I remember it last year and by the time I decided to get one they price had gone back up, so if you want one, don't wait too long to get it.

I finally picked one up this time and since it's a used unit, I also paid the $8 to get their 2-year extended warranty.

While the older models may be more hackable, I'm glad I got the slim that has the internal power adapter (9001?) so it only has a slim power cable and video cable with no bricks.

Mine originally came with some generic non-Dualshock controller, but I took it in this afternoon and they had no problem swapping it for an actual Sony Dualshock 2 controller. I just need to find a game that uses the vibration effect so I can make sure the controller actually works correctly.

I only have a handful of PS2 games right now and have played a couple of them on my PS3, but I figured it's better to play them on a PS2 and spare the stress on my PS3.

BTW: This is also my first PS2. I had many consoles before the PS2 (Atari 400/800, Nintendo, Sega Genesis), but missed out on the Game Cube/Dreamcast/PS1/PS2/XBOX generations because that's when I was in college and graduate school (while working full-time), so I really didn't have time for games during that period of my life. Of course I did spend some time playing PC games...that was more than enough to consume what little free time I had that I saw no reason to buy a console system.

Tempting, I do miss my ps2 fatty from back in the day, I dropped that thing on cement so many times I couldnt figure out how it still worked when I finally sold it. At the very least it would be a nice replacement for my shitty old dvd player.

^Haven't heard of Atari 400/800.

Those new to PS2, if you like these kinds of games.... Nicktoons:Battle For Volcano Island(saw it on YouTube, bought it for cheap on eBay) is SOOOOOO much fun!!!!! Ridge Racer V and Wipeout Fusion are fun, too!

God, if someone wanted to, they could basically fill up on a year's worth of awesome RPGs and buy Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2, Persona 3 and 4, and maybe Devil Summoner 2. Then toss in the first two Shadow Hearts games and you would basically not leave your house for months.

Just bought a fatty ps2 to put in the bedroom. So I don't have to keep bringing the one I already have back and forthfor dvds and lazy late night gameplaying.

Just to balance the scales a little - I have owned an Atari 7800, PS, PS2, PS3, Gamecube and Wii, but never an Xbox or Xbox 360.
I traded in my old phat PS2 about a year ago for $44 I think, may have to pick up a slim for $40 later when I go trade in LoZ:SS for $30. I have the white wireless Guitar Hero 3 bundled guitar and 3 GH games, 2 I've never played. Anybody know of any concerns I should have about attaching that guitar to a slim?

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']^Haven't heard of Atari 400/800.[/QUOTE]

Atari's original computer. My second gaming platform after the Atari 2600.

Pretty good deal. My used slim I got from Gamestop is still going strong. There are also a lot of good games still readily available. As someone said above, if you are into JRPGs, the PS2 was a goldmine.

[quote name='JP73']They haven't. A few weeks ago the slim was 49.99 and the original 39.99, down from 59.99 and 49.99 respectively. This just happened today cause I went to check on the PS2 prices yesterday and they were 49.99 and 59.99[/QUOTE]

Yep, I know this because I bought a fat one at the $39.99 price at the end of November...too late for a price match now, oh well...

For folks looking at the phat PS2 with its DVD features in mind (there aren't that many dvd players you can use in a vertical fashion), keep in mind that earlier PS2 models didn't have IR ports for the DVD remote built in (I believe this models in 10000 and 30000 range). You had to plug in an IR receiver in one of the front slots (I can't remember if it was the 2nd controller or 2nd memory card slot), but with the 50000 range models and beyond, the IR port was built in....also DVD progressive scan was supported on the 50000 models. While you can get remotes with the IR reciever on ebay, they tend to be more expensive due to to their rarity. You can sometimes find them at gamestop, but GS doesn't keep track of them from the later DVD remotes that didn't come with receivers, so it is hit or miss if you actually find them.

So folks looking for the simplest DVD setup with a phat should look for the 50000 range PS2 phats (these will also be the 'youngest' PS2s phats as well).

CAG had a thread about this some years back

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-32021.html

No wonder I haven't heard of the 400/800... I wasn't born! Lol! Hmmm.. I have heard of something called Calico Vision, or whatever. It must have been more popular...

Have any of you used PS2's internet functions? I thought I read, somewhere, all a person needs is an Ethernet cable which eBay has for cheap. Even 20ft ones can be $4.99. I bought a cable for that, but my PS3 kinda knocked that out of the way! Obviously, it's not going to have PSN functions, lol! Hmmm... Off to YouTube, I go!

bread's done
Back