Free Skyrim or Battlefield 3 with purchase of Linksys router at Newegg.com

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#31 oregon

oregon

CAG Collector

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:54 AM

I have this, paid about the same price. Lots of bells and whistles.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16833124388

#32 Pajama_Man

Pajama_Man

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:59 AM

I'm no expert (networking noob here) but when you're buying a new wireless router be sure to at least check if when you disable WPS that it actually is disabled (if you aren't planning on using custom firmware).

More info on hacking WiFi Protected Setup...
http://arstechnica.c...with-reaver.ars
Join the CAG's Steam Community HERE!
Posted Image

#33 InvaderZim

InvaderZim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:38 PM

Nice price for a router that the whole family can game on at the same time.

Even CNET gives it a 4/5.

#34 SScorpio

SScorpio

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2012 - 05:25 PM

Anyone considering this deal might want to look into the Linksys e3000. That also has the dual WiFi radios, and the processor and RAM are identical to the e4200. The only difference is the e4200 has 16MB of flash versus 8MB in the e3000. The e4200 also has three internal antennas per radio versus two per radio in the e3000.

You can get a refurbished e3000 from Newegg for $50 http://www.newegg.co...N82E16833124419

Throw Tomato USB on it and you have an awesome router. I have used DD-WRT for at least the last 6-7 years. But when I recently purchased an e3000 I decided to give Tomato a try. It didn't have the hotspot features of DD-WRT which are used to setup WiFi like at a coffee shop, but for home use it does everything normal user would need and is much easier to configure than DD-WRT.

So for $10 more than a e4200 you can get a refurbished e3000 with Battlefield 3 and Skyrim.

#35 netscorer

netscorer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2012 - 05:55 PM

For anyone looking - this is not a deal! The 4200 series is overpriced for what it is and you can NOT put custom firmware, like DD-WRT or Tomato on it. Just read the reviews on Newegg.
I second the recommendation for refurbished e3000 with Tomato on top. Can't beat the $50 price tag and still have plenty of money for games and stuff.

#36 wolve

wolve

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:40 PM

I'm no expert (networking noob here) but when you're buying a new wireless router be sure to at least check if when you disable WPS that it actually is disabled (if you aren't planning on using custom firmware).

More info on hacking WiFi Protected Setup...
http://arstechnica.c...with-reaver.ars

What really sucks is that you can't even disable WPS on Linksys routers.

#37 InvaderZim

InvaderZim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:28 AM

For anyone looking - this is not a deal! The 4200 series is overpriced for what it is and you can NOT put custom firmware, like DD-WRT or Tomato on it. Just read the reviews on Newegg.
I second the recommendation for refurbished e3000 with Tomato on top. Can't beat the $50 price tag and still have plenty of money for games and stuff.

You can custom firmware and tomato a stinky old $50 router all you want and an entire family will still not be able to game on it at once. It will choke.

This is a good deal.

#38 BigT

BigT

Hey Zach...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:04 AM

You can custom firmware and tomato a stinky old $50 router all you want and an entire family will still not be able to game on it at once. It will choke.

This is a good deal.

The e4200 v1 and e3000 have the same processor and same ram... I'm pretty sure that it would be sufficient for almost all gamers' needs...

#39 BetaDemo

BetaDemo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:25 PM

Get this deal if you want that router...and not for the games. Wireless N has gotten so cheap I wouldn't want to pay more than $20 ~ $30 if I suddenly had to replace my current belkin.

#40 netscorer

netscorer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:45 PM

This is a good deal.

Define choke. 4200 series is incapable of proper QoS support and has been reported to not work well under high load (Torrents). All of that is a limitation of Cisco firmware but since you can not change it for something remotely capable, you are in a tough luck. So if this is your definition of choking, then 4200 series is a true choker.
All the 4200 has going for it is tri-band Wi-Fi antennas that can mitigate some overcrowded wireless space, but in my experience my 3200 dual-band router is fully capable of supporting 7 concurrent wireless devices connected and streaming from it at the same time. If this is not enough, then yeah - go ahead and spend extra $100 for that third band.

#41 JMusic

JMusic

音楽人

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:46 PM

I am using a Netgear el cheapo router that may be the first one they ever made that supported wireless g. I think I paid $10 for it on clearance. My household regularly runs, without issue, three Xbox, one Wii, and one PS3 simultaneously, in addition to three always connected computers and another four laptops, plus several wireless-connected cellphones and a Sprint Airrave (yes, 6 people under my roof, and lots of random tech). I generally have to reset the router about once every two or three months.

I'll pass on paying $150 for a router...

#42 meatwad3000

meatwad3000

The Mauve Avenger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:20 PM

I would bite on this but I'm still content with my Linksys WRT54GL flashed with DD-WRT. Though if I was gonna replace this router I'd be more inclined to get an ASUS RT N16 and flash it with TomatoUSB.

#43 Mugatu

Mugatu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:30 PM

One thing to keep in mind is the new brute force WPS method for breaking into Wifi. Linksys is one of the vendors who do not allow you to actually turn off WPS so someone nearby with a few hours to kill can break into your network.

http://lifehacker.co...ord-with-reaver

#44 Vader582

Vader582

Dark Lord of Savings

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:52 PM

One thing to keep in mind is the new brute force WPS method for breaking into Wifi. Linksys is one of the vendors who do not allow you to actually turn off WPS so someone nearby with a few hours to kill can break into your network.

http://lifehacker.co...ord-with-reaver

You guys saying that the E4200v2 is vulnerable, do you know this for certain or are you just just going with past experiences? I found this on the Cisco forums.
Posted Image
Posted Image
TV?
Spoiler

Spoiler

Fist bump?

#45 gantt

gantt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:01 PM

Marked up? This router (e4200) never goes on sale. Try and find it for cheaper than $160. This deal was offered last month also and is still the closest thing there has been to sale on the e4200. The v2 just came out so good luck finding it cheaper for the $200 Newegg is charging.

Do some research before you spout off with nonsense.

$139.99 in an Amazon deal last month. And $20 gift card at Newegg now. But yeah, never.

#46 gokou36

gokou36

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:15 PM

Linksys is shit. I used to own the wrt ones and a few days after torrenting, the damn router would overload. Custom firmwares wont even help. Everytime this happens i had to unplug the damn thing and then replug it. Bought a cheap $50 or so netgear and it was 100 times better. Currently using my motorola cable modem router and it works flawless.

#47 Gregtastic

Gregtastic

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:04 PM

For those of you in need of a router, get the Linksys Wireless N and call it a day. My internet is fast as lightning and this router can keep up.

$39.97 and $3 for a 1 year warranty at WalMart. I bought mine instore.
http://walmart.com/i...RT120N/12538152

I have this router (or a very similar model, I'm not home to check) and the wireless just goes sometimes....

It will work for a while. Then if I try and connect with a laptop it will see the network but be unable to connect until I restart the router. Any ideas?

#48 SteveGo

SteveGo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:46 PM

Linksys is shit. I used to own the wrt ones and a few days after torrenting, the damn router would overload. Custom firmwares wont even help. Everytime this happens i had to unplug the damn thing and then replug it. Bought a cheap $50 or so netgear and it was 100 times better. Currently using my motorola cable modem router and it works flawless.

Sounds like you're doing something wrong on your end.

#49 Sigmund

Sigmund

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:21 PM

Does this deal look dead to everyone else? I bookmarked this last night, but now the link only takes me to a "[object DOMWindow]" error.

I'm bummed if I missed this. :(

#50 Sanoguzman

Sanoguzman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2012 - 11:26 PM

if anyone can help a cheap ass gamer somehow get a screen shot of the deal when the page was still working, it would really help. I wanted to get the deal and alot of some strange mess happened. I called newegg management, but they don't believe me that they had this deal at one point. it's pretty frustrating

Management actually asked me for this screen shot

#51 Darkon_X

Darkon_X

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:01 AM

Link is broken

#52 Vader582

Vader582

Dark Lord of Savings

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:31 AM